Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #151
Baloo

Laughter is the bloom
of a happy heart
Italian pixie
**WARNING**
Wand is a wooden spoon!

I have a 17 year old son ...I think it's perfectly fine to let the kids go out on their own at WDW!

Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #152
GinnyEmma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Would you supervise teens at all times? When would they be old enough?

Not trying to argue but just genuinely curious. By the way, those kids on the ship were awful.
Wasn't that in the middle of the night? I think that there is a difference between a daytime walk around a theme park and a middle of the night rampage.

15 is old enough to get a work permit, and driver's permit here. I guess that I think that well raised kids are capable of making good decisions. I know that my kids aren't perfect, but this isn't a high risk situation. My 16, 15 and 14 year olds took the boat to mgm to ride the coasters without issue.
GinnyEmma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #153
duffy
The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote it myself.

I've already done this. I've let all 3 of my daughters do it, actually. And the oldest was there before cell phones were so prevalent. She didn't have one. I had to ACTUALLY TEACH HER what to do other than just call me in a panic, if she got in a bad situation.

My youngest is 15 now, and just got back from a school trip last week. She roamed with a group of 4 mostly, but they occasionally split into 2 pairs. They were all fine.

I even sent my 16-year old to Europe for an entire school year, as an exchange student.
duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #154
GinnyEmma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I've already done this. I've let all 3 of my daughters do it, actually. And the oldest was there before cell phones were so prevalent. She didn't have one. I had to ACTUALLY TEACH HER what to do other than just call me in a panic, if she got in a bad situation.

My youngest is 15 now, and just got back from a school trip last week. She roamed with a group of 4 mostly, but they occasionally split into 2 pairs. They were all fine.

I even sent my 16-year old to Europe for an entire school year, as an exchange student.
We've done this too. They also started going on mission trips a about 14. They earned the money and made the trips themselves. I think it is a mindset.
GinnyEmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #155
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post

I am pretty sure having a cell phone doesn't mean that we aren't ACTUALLY TEACHING our kids what to do in bad situations. It's an extra safety measure, not a replacement for parenting.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #156
MellyBeans
Mouseketeer

While it totally depends on the individual kids and their maturity level, if you trust the girls, I say go for it.

I went with my friend and her Disney loving family in high school. I was "the friend" brought along to keep their daughter occupied. I think we were sixteen at the time. Basically, my friend and I (and even sometimes her 10-year-old younger sister) decided where we wanted to go for the day, and went off on our own. I don't think we toured a single park with her parents all week, except meeting up for dinners and the occasional firework/parade show at the end of the night. We were fine. This was before cell phones were prevalent too, and we could be trusted. We were given a time and a place to meet up with the parents, and that worked out just fine.

I have *wonderful* memories of that trip. While I had been twice as a child with my own family, I don't think I fell in love with Disney until that trip in High School with my friend and her family.

Really, if you think you can trust them...go for it. In three years, those 15-year-olds will be completely on their own. Trust them, and see what they do with the freedom. Most likely, they will be fine, and everyone will have a great time.

2012 Pop Century 30th Birthday get-a-way , 2011 Pop Century, 2009 CSR *Engaged in front of the Castle* , 2008 Disneyland, 2007 ASMu, 1999 Off Site, 1993 Off Site, 1991 Off Site
MellyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #157
jlw29
Mouseketeer

As a mom of 2 teenagers, all I can say is you know your kid.

I have always encouraged my children to be independent. We started letting our kids go off on their own in the same park when they were 12 and 10. The trip they were 14 & 11 they were allowed to go from the resort to the parks on their own. I was comfortable with this because older DD is a VERY responsible child. There is no way I would give my younger DD the same freedom or responsibility at a similar age because, while she is a good kid and wouldn't cause trouble, she is - how shall I say it -- a bubble head. So while we can all give you opinions, you will make the right decision.
jlw29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #158
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Yes, I would. Giving incremental freedoms such as this one is critical to a person learning how to be responsible. When I was 15 (20 years ago), it would have been completely normal to not even question allowing a couple of 15 year olds to be alone at a place like WDW, and while the world has changed in some ways, kids still need the chance to be on their own and to explore the world, to learn to make good decisions, and yes, even to learn the consequences of bad decisions. Setting things up so that any bad decisions have limited impact is a way to mitigate risk, while also allowing growth. When I was 13 (and many more times when I was 14, 15, 16 and older) I traveled alone with my father to NYC on a business trip and, while he was at meetings, I walked all around the city, alone, all day long. It was phenomenally fun and fascinating! While in retrospect perhaps not the "best" idea, I survived and those experiences shaped me in many ways. Compared with that, WDW is a very safe place to be.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #159
RumpleMom
DIS Veteran

I would allow it as long as you know your daughter is responsible and will make good decisions.

You also need to know that the BBF will also make good decisions and will not put any pressure on your daughter to do something dumb.

You have to be certain your daughter can stand up to her BBF if there is a difference of opinion on what to do.

Our DD went with a BBF and they had some freedom in DHS, probably a whole 3 hours, and they ran into a group of older teen boys who asked them if they wanted to go back to the resort to party.

They didn't go. I almost had a heart attack when I heard the story.
RumpleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #160
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

I'm very protective, but I don't see a problem with this. They probably make harder decisions and are faced with greater tests of their character every day at school then they'll have to make in a day at Epcot. Teens need freedom and in reality its just a little bit of freedom.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #161
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skater View Post
I'm very protective, but I don't see a problem with this. They probably make harder decisions and are faced with greater tests of their character every day at school then they'll have to make in a day at Epcot. Teens need freedom and in reality its just a little bit of freedom.
Excellent point and I completely agree!! My dd is off to a school with 1300 teenagers next year. I fear that environment a great deal more than a theme park. If I trust to her to make her way in peer pressure central.. then I trust her in Epcot.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #162
SabbyR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw29 View Post
As a mom of 2 teenagers, all I can say is you know your kid.

I have always encouraged my children to be independent. We started letting our kids go off on their own in the same park when they were 12 and 10. The trip they were 14 & 11 they were allowed to go from the resort to the parks on their own. I was comfortable with this because older DD is a VERY responsible child. There is no way I would give my younger DD the same freedom or responsibility at a similar age because, while she is a good kid and wouldn't cause trouble, she is - how shall I say it -- a bubble head. So while we can all give you opinions, you will make the right decision.
I can so relate to this! This past winter we went and my dd (12) and her bf we brought along toured Epcot by themselves. I had no problem with it AT ALL! My oldest dd is very responsible and level headed. We are going back this fall and my middle dd will be 11 and wants to know if she and her friend ( the whole family is going) will be able to walk around by themselves. My middle dd is a fantastic child, always polite, wouldnt get into trouble etc., but she too is a Bubblehead! Or a dreamer or whatever you want to call it. I'm struggling because she wouldnt be allowed to wander and her sister will.
SabbyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #163
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I can see no reason two 15 year old girls should not be allowed to walk in a public place without an adult.
cluvsdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #164
disneyjazz 1928
Have a great, big, beautiful day. And remember, tomorrow's just a dream away!

I think it would be alright. My parents let my sister and I stay at the parks by ourselves when i was 14 and my sister was 10 and we were just fine. If your kids know their way around the world, they should be ok.
1995: FIRST VISIT/family reunion (offsite) 1999: Fort Wilderness Cabins 2001: Offsite (Westgate) 2002: First Old Key West stay and Universal Studios visit 2003: First Beach Club Villas stay! 2005 July: OKW 2005 November: All Star Sports 2006: OKW 2008 July: Port Orleans French Quarter/OKW2008 November: All Star Movies 2009: Wilderness Lodge/OKW 2011: Bay Lake Tower/OKW 2012: Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas/OKW
disneyjazz 1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #165
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
Some unmonitored teenagers wreaked havoc on one of the Disney Cruise ships recently. And, while I don't know your daughter or her friend, sometimes teenagers get into trouble without some supervision even when they are typically good kids. I don't think it's a great idea personally.
HUGE difference between what happens in the light of day, versus alone with no one around.

Not sure I would call it "havoc" either - I might be warped but I thought the magnet thing in the pants was just a little funny.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: