Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #61
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Beautiful pics, GolfGal. They did a super job. If I was living out there, I need some greenery like that!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #62
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvflorida View Post
Thanks so much for posting the pictures, golfgal! That looks very similar to what we have in mind. They have more "green" in their backyard than most people out here have. Their artificial grass looks great! Generally speaking, the Phoenix area has more trees and grass than the Tucson area. Tucson retains much more of the desert look.

We spent Saturday looking at a few pool/landscaping companies just to get some ideas. We've pretty much decided on having a pool put in. Again, though, safety is a key issue. When we had our inground pool installed at our other house, our youngest was a teen, so we never had to worry about little ones running around. With two very young grandkids that visit frequently, we will definitely have some type of fence within the already fenced in yard, automatic cover, etc.
I couldn't imagine living in AZ without a pool. Their pool isn't huge but it is big enough to get into and cool off . They have grandkids too and when the grandkids are over they have a temporary fence they put up around the pool if they aren't using it-not totally secure but it works for them. The kids are not allowed outside without an adult present.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #63
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Update with a few pictures. Thought it might be fun to document the building process. I know I did a similar thread when we had an in-ground pool built. Many people were interested in seeing the steps involved from the ground-breaking to pool completion. I miss my pool!

The digging for the foundation was started on April 21. We can't believe how much has been done in two weeks! We try to visit the site at least twice a week, and the construction superintendent is very good at keeping us informed each step of the way. He has also taken a lot of pictures of the actual work being done, whereas we go up in the evenings and get pics after work has been completed for that day.

We are having the best time watching the house take shape!

Ground is broken.

Grid.

Concrete slab foundation.

back right corner

the backyard that I can't wait to landscape!

side yard

left side of house

Front view. The dumpster adds a nice touch! And in case anyone is concerned about info on the internet, the #98 on the front of the house has nothing to do with the address!

Framing should be completed on Monday.

Last edited by luvflorida; 05-07-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: corrected info on pictures
luvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #64
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Very nice. It is moving along a lot faster than our house did. Continued good luck.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #65
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your ground breaking. Ah, new house.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #66
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

WOW, that is a lot of work done in a short time. I am so used to seeing a huge hole in the ground when someone starts a new build it's a little odd to see a slab foundation going up. I suppose that saves a lot of time (and money) on a build though.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #67
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

nice to see the progress on your new home - reminds me of those Levittown house photos in the mid 40s, showing the houses being built - cool!

we'll be remodelling/rebuilding my DHs childhood home, starting in a few months (inside and out, completely gutting it) - planning to take photos like you are of the progress

again - congrats on your future home!
suzimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #68
gillep
DIS Veteran

Ooooo Awesome!! Yes please do keep us all updated, DH and I are probably going to start building a house in Houston in the next couple weeks and I would love any and all tips that you can provide us with as you go through the process. We go to the design studio May 23,24 so I figure that will be fun and exhausting.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #69
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
WOW, that is a lot of work done in a short time. I am so used to seeing a huge hole in the ground when someone starts a new build it's a little odd to see a slab foundation going up. I suppose that saves a lot of time (and money) on a build though.
Most houses in Arizona don't have basements. I'd say 98% of the houses are built on slabs. There a few builders that do basements (Maracay comes to mind) but even then the basements are usually fully finished and not what you think of a basement when thinking of houses in the New England area.

I know every house we ever lived in in the Northeast had a basement. Houses in the southwest are very different looking than the houses we're used to seeing on the east coast. Then again, almost everything is different out here!

And yes, it definitely keeps the cost down! Basements out here add a lot to the price of the house. One of our goals with this house was to really keep the cost down, especially since we've kicked around the idea of buying a smaller house back in Maine sometime in the future. It would be to escape the hot summers here, NOT to go back in the winter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzimar57 View Post
we'll be remodelling/rebuilding my DHs childhood home, starting in a few months (inside and out, completely gutting it) - planning to take photos like you are of the progress
That sounds like a lot of work! Yeah, we're documenting every step of the way and have taken tons of photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Very nice. It is moving along a lot faster than our house did. Continued good luck.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Congrats on your ground breaking. Ah, new house.
Thanks! It's a fun process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillep View Post
Ooooo Awesome!! Yes please do keep us all updated, DH and I are probably going to start building a house in Houston in the next couple weeks and I would love any and all tips that you can provide us with as you go through the process. We go to the design studio May 23,24 so I figure that will be fun and exhausting.
If you read over the previous replies on this thread, you'll get a lot of ideas and tips from other posters, too. The design center was a bit overwhelming! We just felt there were so many choices to make and we wanted to get it right. Well, right for us, anyway.

I think the thing I like best about having a house built, is that it'll end up being "our" house as far as having all the upgrades and extras that WE chose. We didn't go completely off on our own, building the house design from scratch, but we did get to choose from several different house facades (they're called elevations out here) and all the color choices and types (granite, carpet, tile, paint, trim) and several architectural designs were ours to make. The front landscaping will be done by the builder, but even there we had three "packages" to choose from. The backyard and side yard will be ours to do.

Here are a few more pictures. The first one is the front entrance and the others are inside shots.

The main area downstairs-kitchen and great room.

Opposite view. The house is pretty much the design we wanted for a retirement home. The only difference was going with a two-story home. I think we always figured we'd end up with a single story, but we both really liked this particular design.

I like this view from one of the upstairs bedroom windows.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #70
TheIncredibles!
Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award!

Looks like a wonderful home. Do you have floor plans you can share? I love looking at new homes, the floor plans and all the finishes people pick!

Hope everything continues to go well.
TheIncredibles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #71
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Oh, I love this thread! I remember you from when you moved to AZ and when the grandchildren were born. I am coming along for the ride to see the house from start to finish, this is going to be fun!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #72
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvflorida View Post
Thanks so much for posting the pictures, golfgal! That looks very similar to what we have in mind. They have more "green" in their backyard than most people out here have. Their artificial grass looks great! Generally speaking, the Phoenix area has more trees and grass than the Tucson area. Tucson retains much more of the desert look.

We spent Saturday looking at a few pool/landscaping companies just to get some ideas. We've pretty much decided on having a pool put in. Again, though, safety is a key issue. When we had our inground pool installed at our other house, our youngest was a teen, so we never had to worry about little ones running around. With two very young grandkids that visit frequently, we will definitely have some type of fence within the already fenced in yard, automatic cover, etc.
I love outdoor living spaces. We could never have them up north, lol.

Golfgal your pics are great!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #73
tlbwriter
Does this look infected?

Nice! What a lovely view of the mountains. I'm always amazed at how small the slabs look before you start framing!

WDW: Grand Floridian Dec 2004
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 2005
DL: Offsite July 2007
WDW: Beach Club Dec 2008
tlbwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #74
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Looks great!
Love the views!
Building a house was very exciting for us. I loved watching the whole process and making what was "in my head" become real! Luckily, my builder really listened to me and asked questions when he needed to. I had a wonderful builder.

Enjoy the process. Next time I'm going smaller also. This house is just too big for us. :/

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #75
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

love that photo where you can actually "see" your view thru the upstairs bedroom window!

very exciting for you!
suzimar57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: