Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #166
luvflorida
Free entertainment is everywhere

continued from post 165:
I'm having issues with photobucket, so wanted to post the rest of the pics in a separate post. Not sure why, but some pics are showing with just a red x. Fix it, photobucket!

A few more landscaping pics

The three vines on the backyard wall to the left of the house have orange blossoms on them, and eventually the vines should grow to cover a good portion of the block wall.

Taken this week. The Desert Willow is quite tall!

This tiny cactus appeared in our front yard earlier this spring.

It grew a lot over the summer!

The trees and plants aren't the only things growing around here. Here are a few pics of our grandkids enjoying the backyard. They're also growing fast...too fast!

I know I said this was going to be the house we would retire in. Well, we no longer think that will be the case. A year here, has taught us a few things. As much as we love the house and the neighborhood, we realize it is not going to be our last house. Mainly, it is just too big. Our plan was to downsize from our house in Maine, but somehow we lost sight of that idea. We went from a two story 2500 square foot house to a 2 story 2500 square foot house. What were we thinking?!?!??! We greatly reduced our yard and yard work, but not actual living space.

Also, our daughter and son-in-law put their house on the market over the summer and moved to the Phoenix area, so they (and our grandkids!) are now two hours away instead of 40 minutes. They both accepted new teaching positions in a much larger school district. As a result, my husband and I have been spending almost every weekend up in Phoenix. We have rented a small apartment near our daughter and son-in-law and are finding that we really like it and don't need all the space in this house. So......we are looking at houses in the Phoenix area and will probably put the Tucson house on the market at the beginning of the year. This time, we will be looking to build, or buy, a single story house, no larger than 1800 square feet.

In the meantime, we will go back and forth between Tucson and Phoenix (and our grandkids of course visit here, too and life goes on! Hectic, but interesting! Another plus to the apartment is the beautiful resort-style pool, that is part of the complex, open 365 days of the year. I love it and the grandkids love it! They will definitely learn to swim!

Last edited by luvflorida; 10-03-2012 at 06:12 PM.
luvflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #167
nhpooh
I just can't stop visiting this board
We are getting hotter and more humid each year
By the time I come back I will be lost again

Thanks, for the update! Your grandkids are so cute! I have cousins that live in Phoenix, I have not been there in a few years. I also have a cousin in Fountian Hills. Yes when we down size I would be looking at one story homes, that are around the 1800sq too!

Thanks for all the new pictures too!
75-offsite-DL/ w/family 79-offsite -Honeymoon 85-offsite 89-offsite 94-offsite 96-WL 98-CSR 2000-CBR/Disney W. 2002-DL/Paradise Pier 2004-WL/25th annv. 2005-Portofino Bay/POFQ 2007-ASMu/Family suites, 2008-POFQ/first MVMCP, 2009-DL/Grand Californian, 5/2011-ASSp/girls weekend, 9/2011- Beach Club/with DH, 8/2013 -CBR/with DH and DD
nhpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #168
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpooh View Post
Thanks, for the update! Your grandkids are so cute! I have cousins that live in Phoenix, I have not been there in a few years. I also have a cousin in Fountian Hills. Yes when we down size I would be looking at one story homes, that are around the 1800sq too!

Thanks for all the new pictures too!
You're welcome! Our daughter and her family are on the outskirts of Phoenix. Phoenix is huge when you consider all the cities and towns that emcompass the Valley. They love the area they are in, especially because there is so much in the way of shops, restaurants, and activities for the kids. Our apartment is only a few miles from their house. We've been going up amost every weekend, and they come down our way one weekend a month, or sometimes during the week. Lots of back and forth, but at least we're never bored! We are looking at houses in that area, though.

We realize we want to downsize more. The apartment we're renting is only about 800 square feet and our house is around 2500 square feet. 1700-1800 square feet sounds about right.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #169
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

I just had to say that you are the best grandma ever for what you are doing to be with the grand babies. I plan to do the same thing one of these days. I grew up with my grandparents living in a house on the street behind us. My dad built the house for them. My sister and I saw them every single day and we loved it! I'm 43 years old and I still look back and miss those days.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #170
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Great update!

I know exactly what you mean and we aren't retired quite yet. We've been in our house 3 years and if I could just shrink it...

1800 square feet sounds good to me also. I'm at about 2900 and DD just moved to college so we definitely do not need all this room.

My grandparents moved from NJ to TN when we moved here. Then, we when we moved 30 mins from the Smokies, they did too. I would not trade the memories of my grandparents for anything! Enjoy every minute of time with your daughter, SIL, and grandkids.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #171
luvflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
I just had to say that you are the best grandma ever for what you are doing to be with the grand babies. I plan to do the same thing one of these days. I grew up with my grandparents living in a house on the street behind us. My dad built the house for them. My sister and I saw them every single day and we loved it! I'm 43 years old and I still look back and miss those days.
I know we are very fortunate to be able to make the decisions we've made and to be able to have our grandkids be such a big part of our lives. We are very thankful for that! It was a hard decision for our daughter and son-in-law to make the move, knowing they'd be further away, but career-wise, it's the right decision for them.

My parents were very, very close to my kids and always lived nearby, so my kids grew up seeing their grandparents on a daily basis. They had a very close relationship. So our daughter knows what it means for us to have that kind of relationship with our grandkids. My husband and I held our grandson when he was 30 minutes old and he stole our hearts in an instant. Our hearts just melted. Same with our granddaughter. I can't even imagine not having these two precious babies in our lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
Great update!

I know exactly what you mean and we aren't retired quite yet. We've been in our house 3 years and if I could just shrink it...

1800 square feet sounds good to me also. I'm at about 2900 and DD just moved to college so we definitely do not need all this room.

My grandparents moved from NJ to TN when we moved here. Then, we when we moved 30 mins from the Smokies, they did too. I would not trade the memories of my grandparents for anything! Enjoy every minute of time with your daughter, SIL, and grandkids.
Like I mentioned above, my own kids had that kind of relationship with my parents. My parents passed away a few years ago, and my kids have many wonderful memories of the time they spent with them. My husband and I cherish every minute we spend with our grandson and granddaughter. And of course, our own kids, too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: