Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Mary09
Mouseketeer

Is there an online 'crowd predictor calendar'?

I know I've seen something in the guide books but does anyone know of a site that shows predicted park crowd levels over the course of the year? I found one site recently that said that all of March was lighter than all of April or May, so we went last week and it was awful. I can't imagine it was better than early May. Thanks!
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
geekypeach
Mouseketeer

Here is one of many good sites:

http://touringplans.com/disneyland-r...&property_id=2

I've been twice in Feb/Mar and neither trip was as 'dead' as I thought it would be. A good predictor of a big crowd is full operating hours. They won't run a full day unless they're sure they have lots of business coming! We are going the first week of May, and everywhere I see predicts a dead park with reduced hours.

April 2013 HoJo
November/December 2012 HoJo
April 2012 HoJo
February 2012 BW Anaheim Inn
October 2011 Paradise Pier
May 2011 HoJo
February 2010 HoJo
March 2009 HoJo
October 1994 Best Western Pavillions
geekypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
JH87
DIS Veteran

isitpacked.com
They have crowd trackers, live and based on previous crowds at the parks.
Under 'live crowd trackers' they have one for DCA and DL.
If you click on the center thing where it says "ghost town/hey its alright/yup its packed/ forget about it" it will take you to a calendar where you can see past and upcoming crowd predictions.

JH87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
stephe1987
Earning My Ears

January is a good time to go, but things are often closed for refurbishments during this month, so be careful.
February is usually quiet, but in the middle of the month is President's Week, which sees an increase in crowd levels.
The beginning of March is quiet, and then it starts getting crowded because schools have Spring breaks. Same with April for this year, since Easter is so late it's going to be crowded for a while. Some schools just pick a week for their vacation, others base theirs around Easter... all weeks are crowded.
May is good until Memorial Day. Kids are off school and some schools start to get out around that time. By mid-June all the kids are out and it's packed until late August.
September and October are good. They do have special events for Halloween but we've never gone so I'm not sure what attendance is like for those events.
November is fine until Thanksgiving week.
The first half of December is good; the second half is packed.

Specific days of the week: Saturday is most crowded, then Sunday, then Friday/Monday (long weekends), and the middle of the week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) is the best time to go.
stephe1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
Huff
DIS Veteran

Crowd predictors are not very accurate for any given day. They give averages and attempt to figure in special circumstances. It helps give an idea for what period of time may have lower crowds than another but can't predict what it will be like any specific day.

We were there for July 4th weekend in 2009. Historically this is one of the busiest times of the year and Ridemax said it would be packed. On July 4th crowds were non-existant in DCA and low in DL. Toy Story peaked with a wait time of 10 minutes, other rides were walk on. DL finally became moderatly crowded at night for the fireworks but otherwise was low as well.
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Also, just to note, Friday nights are usually very crowded with AP holders. We go with a group of co-workers and friends on Friday nights because so many of the So CA passes are blocked on weekends. Saturdays are definitely more crowded than Sunday.

I actually have started going alone early on Saturday mornings since my family likes to sleep in and I want to get a good brisk walk in - why not do it at D-land??
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Mary09
Mouseketeer

Thanks! The one I looked at before going last week looked a lot like isitpacked, but the info was a lot different so I could've been on a different site or maybe they updated it and it changed a lot.

Last week, we HATED Friday night. It seemed like a bunch of punk teens filled the park. A lot of our rides were ruined by things like constant camera flashes in our eyes, POTC boat with two inches of water sloshing around, people cutting in lines for rides and food, etc.

Saturday seemed less crowded, but maybe the weather was a factor. It was cold and predicted to rain.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
JH87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09 View Post
Thanks! The one I looked at before going last week looked a lot like isitpacked, but the info was a lot different so I could've been on a different site or maybe they updated it and it changed a lot.

Last week, we HATED Friday night. It seemed like a bunch of punk teens filled the park. A lot of our rides were ruined by things like constant camera flashes in our eyes, POTC boat with two inches of water sloshing around, people cutting in lines for rides and food, etc.

Saturday seemed less crowded, but maybe the weather was a factor. It was cold and predicted to rain.
I was there last Friday night and I totally agree with all the "punk teens" running around. I myself am only 23 but I really can't stand people ruining the Disney experience for anyone at any age. the people I decided to go with could have easily fit into that category (my 20 yr old friend and his 18 yr old sister and her friend) which could be why I spent lots of solo time at the parks! I also noticed all that water in the POTC boats!! Don't remember seeing that much water in there before!

JH87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: