Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
peachylynch
Earning My Ears

Question Leaving Kids On Port Days

Did anyone leave their kids while they did an excursion while in port. We have a 3.5 yr old and I have booked a 3 hr excursion on St. Marteen with an outside tour company. Also, it says the kid's clubs open at 9:00am but on a previous post, someone commented that they opened earlier for "free play". The tour is supposed to leave at 8:30. Do I cancel or risk it?

Just want to make sure there is no problem with leaving her while we are off the ship. She is a very independent girl so I don't think she will have a problem, just want to make sure it is allowed.

Thanks for your help,
Dawn

Cruising on Disney Magic on 3/26/11-Our First Disney Cruise!!!!
peachylynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
cboyer
Earning My Ears

We ahve left both our kids on the boat when we were in port and felt completely safe doing so. I think you should discuss this with the kids club as soon as you get on the ship and maybe they can arrange for an employee from the club to be there when you need to leave. You could also try to connect to someone who is ont he Dream before your date to see if they could talk to the club for advice.
cboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
mnrhannah07
1,287 miles from WDW

I second that..We left our son on ship while in port and felt more comfortable with that then taking him with us! It is so much more relaxing! Have fun!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The clubs have opened as early as 7/7:30 on port days depending on when the ship docks. They will be open if there are excursion meet times then.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
makaylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr hannah 07 View Post
I second that..We left our son on ship while in port and felt more comfortable with that then taking him with us! It is so much more relaxing! Have fun!
I second the feeling safer with them on the ship part. A few of our Med ports we left our ds4 at the kids club. He loves it there and had a much better time than he would have had schlepping around with us.
Aug 7th 2010 DCL 11 Day Mediterranean
June 18th 2011 DCL 11 Day Mediterranean
makaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
CyndiandChris
Mouseketeer

We left our daughter for our port tour on our last cruise

She had a great time and I felt she was completely safe!
October 16-20, 2013 WDW Wilderness Lodge, March 31-April 4, 2013 Disney Dream, March 31-April 5, 2012, Disney Magic, September 1-4, 2011 Disney Dream, January 26-30, 2011 WDW Contemporary, April 4-8, 2010 Disney Wonder, April 5-9, 2009 Disney Wonder, June 9-15, 2007 WDW Wilderness Lodge
CyndiandChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
MisterOJ
Mouseketeer

One thing to keep in mind though... if something goes wrong while you are off the ship, DCL has NO WAY to get in touch with you as the Wave Phones do not work off the ship except at Castaway Cay.
MisterOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Chiasgirl
Mouseketeer

I had no problem leaving my DS5 on the ship while my DH and I did an excursion. However, it was a DISNEY excursion.
I felt confident that if something happened to him they would get ahold of us. As well, if our excursion ran late I wasn't worried about him sailing away without us.
Our excursion was originally scheduled to leave at 7 am and they said the kids club would be open then even though it wasn't advertised as opening until 9. (Club only not lab.) I suspect that they open it early enough for everyone on a Disney excursion.
Chiasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
ROEDISNEY
DIS Veteran My name is Disney

I would never do it. Not in a million years. Not for the reason of leaving them on the boat with Disney they are great but God Forbid something happens to you they are left on the boat. An you think nothing will happen think again. I was in a bad motor scooter accident in the Bahamas and I'm so Thankful my boys were with me. Sorry to scare you this was my own experience.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
Rono007
Knight To 3 Princesses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEDISNEY View Post
I would never do it. Not in a million years. Not for the reason of leaving them on the boat with Disney they are great but God Forbid something happens to you they are left on the boat. An you think nothing will happen think again. I was in a bad motor scooter accident in the Bahamas and I'm so Thankful my boys were with me. Sorry to scare you this was my own experience.

I would never do it either, but that's me. Not only could something happen to you when you are off the ship, but what if something happened to one of my girls while I was away and I couldn't be contacted. I know it's the same as having a babysitter at home and going out for the night, but something about being off the ship and my girls not being in their home environment that gives me the chills thinking about leaving them.

We are not excursion people either, so I wouldn't be easy to find. I have been to these islands so many times that we tend to rent a car or get a taxi and do our own thing.

Ron (dad) Audra (mom) Lauren (7) Megan (5)

300+ cruises on Premier Cruise Lines Big Red Boats!
Rono007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiasgirl View Post
I had no problem leaving my DS5 on the ship while my DH and I did an excursion. However, it was a DISNEY excursion.
I felt confident that if something happened to him they would get ahold of us. As well, if our excursion ran late I wasn't worried about him sailing away without us.
I'm planning on leaving my kids (DD11, DS14) on the ship a couple times on our upcoming Med cruise to give them a break between long days and on a day we're doing a hiking excursion (that DD isn't old enough for). Like Chiasgirl, this was one of the reasons I chose to stick with Disney for excursions. I figured if our cell phones don't work (which I'm hoping they will--we have ATT), the ship will at least know where we are.
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #12
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You can leave your cell number with the counselors in the club so they can contact you while you are off the ship.

With the accidents that have happened over the years with tourists in other contries I have always thought that I would rather have the kids safe on the ship than with us if we were to get injured. I would rather not have them be injured as well and we have guardians set up for them, God forbid it be necessary.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

On one of our excursions (with Disney) an issue arose with a child left behind and the CM who was with our group was contacted. It was not made public but the parent was able to speak to the ship doctor and the child was treated for whatever it was. The parents talked and decided to go back but did not have to as it was already handled.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excursions, kid's club

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: