Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #31
jforever52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby View Post
Following along. Was the actress Lisa Rinna? Or "the other one'? I love Lisa Rinna as she was the original.
THANK YOU!!!! Yes it was Lisa Rinna...and she was super cute in person (I just love her hair cut)! She was going to mother's day brunch with two teenagers that I am assuming were her daughters

April 2006-Disney World All Star Sports;April 2007-Disney World All Star Music; May 2009-Disney World All Star Music; June 2010-Disneyland (Embassey Suites); October 2010-Disneyland (Paradise Pier); February 2011-Disneyland (Disneyland Hotel); May 2011-Disneyland (Grand Californian-Welcome Home!);October 2011-Disneyland (Grand Californian-ADULTS only!); January 2012; June 2012 (mother-son 4 mountain challenge); February 2013 (one day, one wheelchair); October 2013 (Adults Only)

Trip Report(s):

Back to the 'Land After So Many Years-June 2010--Completed]The Yr of the Annual Pass-The year starts October 2010!--Completed
jforever52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #32
momto2nenas
DIS Veteran

Liking the TRs! We are going back in 3 weeks and will be getting APs this year too! We just moved to the Grass Valley area so we are "neighbors" ?

Our 2nd AP trip is booked for Oct. the same dates as your initial TR! We are excited for Halloweentime! We are booked for Dec. as well to see all the holiday magic!
momto2nenas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #33
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

What was the reason between traveling seperate? Why not all go one way or the other? That's pretty cool that you could almost leave at the same time and arrive at nearly the same time.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #34
jforever52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
What was the reason between traveling seperate? Why not all go one way or the other? That's pretty cool that you could almost leave at the same time and arrive at nearly the same time.
We decided to travel separate for a couple of reasons. We've all driven down to Disney twice in the past 6 months or so. My daughter (almost 2 now) does okay on the drive down, but has typically lost her mind on the way back. The only way to calm her down is to play Beach Boys music....over and over again. After our last long car trip DH was ready to throw the CD (which we have titled "Serenity Now!!!") out the window. On our last trip DH suggested the fly/drive combo, partly so he didn't have to listen to the Beach Boys anymore and partly because we thought it would be fun for him and our son to do some male bonding....that is how the Man-trip came to be!!!!

My son, loved the idea of traveling down with just his dad and decided to plan some "man" activities for the trip. When I asked him what that meant he told me they would be: (1) eating beef jerkey; (2) stopping at a truck stop; and (3) peeing on the side of the road!!!!!! Needless to say, I am SOOO glad I wasn't present for those activities.

We all didn't fly down because we needed the car to go to some non-Disney activities we had planned (ie. baseball games and the LA Zoo). Fortunately, Southwest offers some really good deals for Northern/California Flights so the flight now didn't bust our budget at all. We probably won't do it again though because DD is almost 2...we're going to have to start paying for plane tickets for her shortly.

April 2006-Disney World All Star Sports;April 2007-Disney World All Star Music; May 2009-Disney World All Star Music; June 2010-Disneyland (Embassey Suites); October 2010-Disneyland (Paradise Pier); February 2011-Disneyland (Disneyland Hotel); May 2011-Disneyland (Grand Californian-Welcome Home!);October 2011-Disneyland (Grand Californian-ADULTS only!); January 2012; June 2012 (mother-son 4 mountain challenge); February 2013 (one day, one wheelchair); October 2013 (Adults Only)

Trip Report(s):

Back to the 'Land After So Many Years-June 2010--Completed]The Yr of the Annual Pass-The year starts October 2010!--Completed
Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #35
jforever52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2nenas View Post
Liking the TRs! We are going back in 3 weeks and will be getting APs this year too! We just moved to the Grass Valley area so we are "neighbors" ?

Our 2nd AP trip is booked for Oct. the same dates as your initial TR! We are excited for Halloweentime! We are booked for Dec. as well to see all the holiday magic!
Glad your following along neighbor!!

You will love DL at Halloween. We fell in love with the place! Haunted Mansion was definetly my favorite change for the holiday season. I think we rode it 6 or more times in the short time we were there!

Trip Report(s):

Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #36
jforever52
Mouseketeer

A quick trip to California Adventure

So after checking our mountain of stuff with the bellhop and grabbing a quick bite to eat, we headed over to California Adventure. DS was literally bouncing up and down with excitement! We didn't want to do anything too involved because we were really just killing time until our room was ready (we were all DYING for a shower).

We decided to take an immediate right outside the Grand Californian entrance to the park and head to the Redwood Creek Challenge. DS had never expeirenced this part of the park before...I vaguely remembered it from a visit to the parks in 2000 with my family. Anyway, first up was the tire zip line! DS LOVED it. He rode it about 5 times and then we were off to do the ropes course and explore the cave to find out what our spirit animals were (I was a beaver, DH was a moose, and DS was a skunk!)

After about 15-20 minutes we decided to head over to Grizzly River Run. DH and DS got in line and I went over to the viewing area to see if I could get a picture of them coming down the last drop. There was a nice CM photographer in the area who was taking pictures of family members as they came down the drop. We chatted for about 20 minutes and then I started to wonder were the boys were...the line had only posted a 10 minute wait. Then we started to see empty tubes coming down the drop. I decided to walk over to see how the line was moving. Turns out that a plank on the loading dock had come loose...the ride ended up closing for several hours.

Here's DH and DS waiting in line (they were so close to the front too!):

DH and DS were given a family fastpass, good for up to 5 people for any ride but Toy Story Mania. We used it later in the week for Autotopia.

After getting the fast pass we went to the Midway to play some games. I loaded up the points card and we all played the water balloon game; since we were the only one's playing, DS ended up winning a Dumbo! Next up was skeet ball...DH won Bullseye! I tried my hand at Casey's pitching challenge....and I didn't win anything!!!! We ended up speding $20.00 on the games and came out of it with 2 full size stuffed animals. Perfect sourviners for just about what we would have spent for one in the store.

After the Midway, we walked over to Blue Sky Cellers to get a better look at the Cars Land Construction:

And shot a picture of the Golden Gate (since I think they are tearing it down soon):

By then we (and by "we" I mean me and DH) were feeling ready to get to the room. We decided to go back to the hotel and check in to see if our room was ready. The entire lobby was packed when we walked in, which is no small feet given the immense size of the Grand Californian lobby! DH found some rocking chairs by the firepit and sat with the kids and I went over to the check-in area to see if our room was ready. It wasn't... A CM told me that there was a lot of people waiting for rooms and that it was taking longer than usual because they had not expected this many people today. I found that a little hard to believe since the Pirates premier had happened the night before

Anyway, we got out our iPhones and let the kids watch cartoons while we waited for a text telling us we could go to our room. Just so you know, I think that the internet capacity at the Grand Californian was maxed out this afternoon, EVERYONE had phones out and were doing something on them. It was actually quite funny to watch.

At 4:40pm we got a text that the room was ready!!!!! We promptly headed over to the DVC Villa area to check out the room. Here it is:

Hidden Mickey:

The view:

The view at night:

I loved the room, the view, the free toiletry's, the comfy bed, the view, the quiet calmness I felt when at the hotel, the view....it was totally worthy spending some time waiting in the lobby for it to be ready!

Up next, shopping and Disney after dark!

Trip Report(s):

Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #37
JH87
DIS Veteran

That is a lovely view!!

JH87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #38
stubby
Mouseketeer

That really is a great view. And kids are never ready to leave the park(at least mine). They get so tired but don't want to go.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #39
jforever52
Mouseketeer

Day 1 Conclusion

After getting into the hotel and freshening up we got in our car and headed to Ralphs to do a little grocery shopping. We got some lunch meat, brats, condiments, bread, water, sodas, fruit and other snacks to last the week.

After loading that into the hotel room we decided to head over to California Adventure for dinner. We ended up eating at the Pacific Warf Cafe. DH and I both had clam chowder bread bowls and the kids split the kid's meal (turkey wrap). The food was good but it was NOT the same as eating a sourdough breadbowl in San Francisco! As a North-California girl you need to know: If you are looking for an authentic Boudin experience I am afraid you can only get it in San Francisco...and it is totally worth the experience!

Belly's full, we decided to head to Disneyland for the evening. Our first stop....The Tiki Room of course! This has become our traditional first stop and who are we to break the tradition? After Tiki it was starting to become dark. We decided to ride Pirates of the Carribean. Here's a picture of my favorite tree:

The POTC stage and seating was still set up in the area where stoller's were usually parked so the CM's directed us to take the stoller in line with us. CM's down the line were valleting the strollers for you. How nice of them!

After POTC we headed over to the Jungle Book to ride it at night! I had never done the ride at night. It was fun...definetely a different experience in the dark.

After the Jungle Book we headed over to Big Thunder for a ride. We noticed they were offering a sneak preview of the new Pirates Movie (in 3D!!!) over by the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. They had Pirates entertaining the crowd and a whole show developed before you got to see an entire scene of the movie!!!!! We are going to see the movie this weekend and the sneak peak really got us in the mood for Pirates!

After seeing the sneak peek we decided it was time to head back to the hotel for the evening. We got back just in time to see the late showing of World of Color:

AMAZING!!! I just love WOC and got to watch it almost every night from the comfort of our hotel room.

Day 2 is up next (with more pictures I promise!!!)

Trip Report(s):

Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #40
stubby
Mouseketeer

Lucky you with WOC. We are planning on seeing it for the first time this trip.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #41
jforever52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Lucky you with WOC. We are planning on seeing it for the first time this trip.
I love, love, LOVE WOC...I hope you and your family enjoy it too!

Trip Report(s):

Old 06-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #42
jforever52
Mouseketeer

Day 2

Today started with a visit to California Adventure. DH and I had discussed the fact that we seem to seriously overlook this park whenever we go to Disneyland and we had made a vow to try to do more activities while we were visiting this time. I would say that we accomplished this goal. I think the main reason we spent so much more time in DCA this trip was because of its close proximity to the Grand Californian. It was so easy to pop back and forth between the park and the hotel!

We started out at Paradise Pier on the swings:

Can you see DH and DS on the bottom right hand corner?

After the swings it was time to take a ride on the jelly fish:

After the jelly fish we headed toward California Screamin'. On the way there we ran into this guy:

The wait for Toy Story Mania was only about 30 minutes so we took the opportunity to play. DH won (as usual) even while holding DD the whole time!!! After Toy Story DH and I took turns riding California Screamin' with DS. Then it was time to ride the carasoal. Can you see how thrilled everyone was with it?

I just love the otter!

After the Carasoul we headed over to Alladin for the first showing. We sat in the lower level next to the nicest guys who struck up a conversation with DH. I was busy trying to get DD to go to sleep....she never did; however she did really enjoy the show. I just love this show and I am so glad they decided not to get rid of it!

After the show we decided to try to ride Grizzly River Run again. This time we were successful! DH and DS rode first:

DS got SOAKED!!!!!

So soaked that he wanted to go back to the hotel...for the record I think it was the fact that his shoes were sopping wet and not really because his clothes were dripping. Regardless, I did not ride...instead we went back to the room to eat lunch and hit up the pool.

Lunch was uneventful..sandwhiches in the room. After that (and waiting the requisite 1/2 hour) we decided to go swimming. The Grand Californian has the BEST slide! DS is finally a strong enough swimmer that I feel confident in watching him a bit less so we were able to let DD go down the baby slide (DH would help her at the top and I would catch her at the bottom) while DS road the slide at least 30 times.

While we were there a family let their son, who COULD NOT swim, go down the big slide alone. The current was strong enough to push him to the side of the pool. Even though he had a life jacket on I did not approve. The poor little guy completely freaked out and swallowed a ton of water before being rescued by his dad!!!!

Up next: Our trip to see the LA Angels play...where did all these Mucho Luchos come from?

Trip Report(s):

Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #43
stubby
Mouseketeer

He sure did get wet. When I rode with the girls last time we didn't get near that...thank goodness. Course it will be July this time so might not mind it.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #44
jforever52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
He sure did get wet. When I rode with the girls last time we didn't get near that...thank goodness. Course it will be July this time so might not mind it.
We rode it a couple of other times during this trip and noone got soaked as badly as DS did that time around. I guess he just "lucked" out on that first ride!!!

Trip Report(s):

Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #45
jforever52
Mouseketeer

Day 2 Continued

So my timeline was a little off when I wrote my last Teaser. We went to the Angels game on Tues, not Mon...more on that later.

DH and I have a running joke that our DVC membership probably costs as much as one of the light fixtures at the Grand Californian, which means the only thing we own there is that one fixture. On the way out to head to Disneyland we found "our" light fixture:

We plan on documenting the life our our little light fixture at the Grand California, Why not, we own it don't we?

So we headed to Disneyland for the evening. The place was a little bit busy!!!!! First up was Tarzan's Treehouse. I stayed with DD while the boys made the climb:

Then we checked in the progress they were making on tearing down the stage from the Pirates Premier:

After checking out the progress, we rode Pirates of the Caribean again...it was so close we had to!!!! Then we decided to head over to Tomorrow Land to check out the wait time on Captain EO and Space Mountain. On the way we stopped at Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. DD LOVED Buzz Lightyear!!!

After spending some time in the land of Tomorrow we headed over to Its a Small World for DD who loves it. By that time it was getting to be evening time so we thought we would head back to the hotel to watch World of Color and rest up for the next day.

One more picture of WOC from our room:

Trip Report(s):

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: