Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Carmen NC
Mouseketeer

Tickets - Paper vs Plastic

Just a question......why is it that those that purchase APs or PAPs have to deal with protecting a PAPER ticket for a year but those that buy non-AP tickets in many cases are getting a nice plastic card for non-AP ticket? We are paying a small fortune for the unlimited annual use but live in fear of something getting wet or torn in half since we have to attempt to protect it for a year. I am hoping when I hand my voucher in to renew my AP in 3 weeks that it is a plastic card. We bought the plastic lanyard pouches in an effort to protect the paper ticket but they are a bit inconvenience and the tickets don't fit real well and you have to "scrunch" the ticket to get it in/out.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen NC View Post
Just a question......why is it that those that purchase APs or PAPs have to deal with protecting a PAPER ticket for a year but those that buy non-AP tickets in many cases are getting a nice plastic card for non-AP ticket? We are paying a small fortune for the unlimited annual use but live in fear of something getting wet or torn in half since we have to attempt to protect it for a year. I am hoping when I hand my voucher in to renew my AP in 3 weeks that it is a plastic card. We bought the plastic lanyard pouches in an effort to protect the paper ticket but they are a bit inconvenience and the tickets don't fit real well and you have to "scrunch" the ticket to get it in/out.
This one of THE most asked (and discussed) issues.

The "paper" tickets are not paper, but a much more durable material.
The "paper" tickets tend to hold their magnetic scan info better than the plastic cards.

The resorts only print tickets to plastic cards because they only have plastic card "room-key" blank stock and printers
at their locations.

The rest of WDW Guest Relations and ticket booths only have the "paper" blank stock and printers at their
locations.

The exception is the WDW and Disneyland combo AP (Premiere AP) that can only be printed at certain WDW Guest Relations Offices.

If they can get the bugs worked out of the new computer software at the WDW Resorts, it may be possible for the
resorts to print standard WDW AP's at their locations, which would mean that you might be able to get them to
transfer your AP to a resort plastic key-card (but, I wouldn't want to do that, myself.)

Last edited by Robo; 03-21-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
alyssa810
It's much more fun on the boat
Must have creme brulee

We have the premier passes (the DL and WDW combined pass), and it's a nice plastic card. My DS just has the regular WDW paper AP. I used to use the passholder perks folder that you get to keep the passes in, but they tend to rip and shred -one ride down splash mountain can ruin it- so I now use an envelope like this:

http://www.graphicimage.com/Mini_Env.../ens%20gti.htm

to keep the passes in. It works well with paper or plastic cards LOL *disclaimer: my brother works for the company and gave me the envelope as a gift - I'd never pay that much though it has been a perfect fit!
annual trips since 1997! some highlights: 1st trip Feb 1985**1st onsite WL 11/2002: ENGAGED @ MK**Honeymoon @ DLP- NB 4/2004**DVC members and our OKW love affair begins 12/2004**29th b-day@DLH 8/2005**Joel's 1st trip 12/2007 CBR**back to DLP-SL 6/2010**GCV 9/2011 Happy 4th B-day Joel!***ASMu & BCV 9/2012***OKW1/2013***GCH & GCV 2/2014***OKW 2/2015 40+ trips and counting!!

8 Parks in 9 Months (part II)TR here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2439987
8 Parks in 9 Months (part III)TR here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post37117909
alyssa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
chartle
DIS Veteran

First there are no "paper" tickets (well maybe etickets, but thats another show).

They have only plastic tickets. The ones you get from the hotel are made of probably PVC a brittle plastic that they have to use because of the door lock systems and layered Tyvek. A flexible durable plastic used in may building applications.

Here's what it comes down to. For every person that has problems with "paper" tickets there is person who has a problem with "plastic" tickets.

There are anecdotal stories from CM's that there are more problems with the hard plastic ones than the Tyvek ones.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
ktrex
Former Kilimanjaro Safaris Driver!

Keep in mind that GR can ALWAYS look up your tickets for you. I'd keep the number handy, and you probably need the credit card/whatever you paid for it with, but GR can literally look anything up. Just so you don't think you're SOL if it rips. If the ticket itself isn't too damaged, they can sometimes just scan it themselves and re-issue you a ticket. This goes for any ticket, as well!

Follow my journey to become a Disney Professional Intern!
ktrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

I don't care what kind of ticket I have...as long as it works.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

On my third "paper" AP. Never had a problem & trust me they have been used a lot. I keep mine & my grandsons in a simple foldover wallet in the outside part that has the clear plastic space that I suppose is meant for your license or ID card. There is a key ring on there so I just hook it onto my car key ring while we are in the world & then keep the whole thing in my fanny pack while we are in the park.
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

My AP went through the wash and still worked. For kicks I tried to rip it while it was wet, and I couldn't.

Worse comes to worse, you just have to show Guest Relations your ID, and they'll reprint it for you.
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
ospopo5
Mouseketeer

Great info. We are heading back for our second trip with the tickets and on our first trip we had no problems.
ospopo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
disnut8
DIS Veteran

I've had annual passes for 10 years and counting. Never do anything different with them except keep them in the paper holder that's given to me. Never had problems. I even keep mine in my wallet all year long (the husband puts his in a drawer at home).

You can worry about your investment but the truth is, even if something does happen to your annual pass, it takes less than five minutes to replace it (had to do that once because of my stupidity). Plus, the annual passes are linking to your photo ID and Disney knows exactly when you bought them. I had one time where I left my renewal vouchers at home but I was able to get passes for the time I was at the World because the entire transaction was in the computer. They just gave me a three day pass and I brought the vouchers the next time and the anniversary date was the same as always.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
irishdadx4
We did it Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year. Walt Disney

the "paper" thickets are made from tyvek..this is the same material they make biohazard/hazmat suits out of. Very tough and durable...and not affected by most household chemicals.

Me & DW, DD DS DD
6/83 offsite -- 8/09 POP -- 12/09 ASMu 8/10 POP 12/10 DCL 8/11 PoFQ 8/25/13 PoFQ
irishdadx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I am not sure if this system is up and running yet but starting this year you will be able to purchase and renew your Annual Passes at the WDW Resorts, so your pass would be on a blank Key To The World card. Late last year when each of the resorts updated their computers to the new LILO system was so they can add on the programs for selling Annual Passes.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I haven't posted this in a while, but with all the comments lately it's time to dust it off...

The so called "paper" tickets are actually a material called Tyvek, and is very strong and waterproof. Strong enough that you may have heard of it before...they wrap houses in the stuff to protect it before putting on the siding. They also make disposable biohazard suits with it for certain levels of containment.

CMs have reported that they have LESS issues with the Tyvek cards than plastic, especially with regards to the magnetic stripe.

Reasonable care should make them last perfectly fine. If it was a problem, Annual Passes wouldn't be issued on them.

That said, any ticket you get at WDW other than a KTTW card will generally be Tyvek.

It appears that tickets purchased from Disney and mailed to you are plastic. This may be due to them standing up better in the mail. From other sources they could be either.

I've also gotten plastic tickets from AAA, but have also heard of them issuing Tyvek tickets as well.

If you have ANY ticket issues, you should be able to get them reissued very easily. Having copies of the backs of the tickets may make it faster.

As for getting them at the resorts, I've starting hearing reports that it has been done, but only for straight-up purchase, not upgrades so far. I'd be concerned about getting it on a KTTW card...my DFiL had a ticket on one (after a disaster of getting his MYW ticket put on a KTTW card), and he was endlessly confused as to which card to use when.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
As for getting them at the resorts, I've starting hearing reports that it has been done, but only for straight-up purchase, not upgrades so far. I'd be concerned about getting it on a KTTW card...my DFiL had a ticket on one (after a disaster of getting his MYW ticket put on a KTTW card), and he was endlessly confused as to which card to use when.
In my experience with having tickets on my KTTW card prior to getting my Annual Pass, not once did I ever have any problems with having my tickets on there. In fact when I have had my regular tickets or my Annual Pass on the Tyvek cards or whatever they are called, there was a few times when those needed to be replaced because they got demagnatized.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
In my experience with having tickets on my KTTW card prior to getting my Annual Pass, not once did I ever have any problems with having my tickets on there. In fact when I have had my regular tickets or my Annual Pass on the Tyvek cards or whatever they are called, there was a few times when those needed to be replaced because they got demagnatized.
It was not a demagnetization problem. They screwed up transferring his pre-purchased (from Disney) ticket to his MYW card, such that he ended up with NO ticket entitlement. Didn't find that out until we got to Epcot and couldn't get in. They gave us a comp ticket to get in, and then I had to go back to the resort desk that night and find out what went wrong. They had no explanation, but said at that point they couldn't put the entitlement on the KTTW card and issued a separate ticket on KTTW stock so other than printing on the front (which he couldn't easily see) it was identical to his KTTW card.

I've had a couple issues with true plastic cards (once with a KTTW card, once with a Disney ticket IIRC - I believe they still send plastic cards in the mail). Since 2007 I've used Tyvek tickets exclusively, plus pre-MYW tickets, and had only a single issue that was resolved in about 3 minutes right at the gates at AK (they have a booth with a printer...didn't need to go to GR).

I don't know how long they've been using Tyvek tickets...but ironically I have one issued in January of 1999 (6 Day All-In-One Hopper MKC). Might even have a day left on it...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: