Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
TroyH
Earning My Ears

San Diego to Disneyland

Hi Folks!

The GF and I are going to be in San Diego for Comic Con. Were going to have a free day and are looking into doing a day trip to Disneyland. I've seen a few threads on this but still wanted some input

It looks to be pretty much a straight shot up Highway 5. What time would you leave SD? Will traffic really be jammed headed north (were leaving on a Thursday morning)? Right now im looking at leaving at 5:30-6am.

Im from Texas and of course don't know the area well and I would really hate to get lost, however I do have a GPS. Any other tips, comments and help would be greatly appriciated!
TroyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
MissKatie05
Earning My Ears

Also if you have any ideas for good places to eat in SD or Disney please share!!!

THANKS
MissKatie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

It's about 90 minutes to 2 hours from SD to DL up I-5. On weekdays, the traffic on I-5 can be killer, especially if there's an accident. I would recommend you leave as early as possible and come back as late as possible.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Ha Ha! DH is going to San Diego for Comic Con and then we're heading up to Anaheim for a couple of days So we'll be there the same time as you!

Anyhow, as the previous poster mentioned, it could take awhile in rush hour traffic, probably around 2 hours if there's no accidents, so go early. Also, since you're coming back to San Diego, you may want to look at the Amtrak train. It goes from San Diego to Anaheim and then you don't have to worry about driving. You'll need to take a cab from the Anaheim amtrak station to Disneyland, and back, but it's not that far, so it should only be about $10-$15.

As far as eating in San Diego, you should try any of the mexican restaurants in old town. They're all pretty good. From the Convention Center, you just hop on the trolley and it will take you straight to old town. Also, on the trolley line is a big mall, and they have a lot of your standard chain type restaurants (California Pizza Kitchen, PF Changs, etc) so that's pretty easy to get to from the convention center. Also, on the trolley line is the Gaslamp district. There's tons of places to eat and bars down there. We really like to eat at Yardhouse down there. It's a brewery type restaurant but is really good. What part of San Diego are you staying in? I might now of a couple other places close to where you're staying?

If you have any other questions or need any help, let me know. DH has done Comic Con the past few years so we know how it all works
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
patink
Mouseketeer

Amtrak and ART

I am thinking about going between San Diego and DLR during my trip in June and have also been looking at Amtrak train. We are hoping to not rent a car for the DLR part of the trip. I have found that the ART bus system that goes to a lot of the Hotels close to Disneyland also goes to the Amtrak station.

http://www.rideart.org/index.php?loc=3

Patink
patink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
katesorad
I stand up in them and BAM I'm on the floor

I live right by Downtown San Diego and right near the 5 freeway, and it only takes me about 90 minutes to get up there, if I'm driving 75-80 mph, which is easy to do on the 5. It honestly isn't all that bad. Leave as early as you can, though, to avoid traffic. And get in the carpool lanes as soon as you start seeing them.

Another poster asked about restaurants in San Diego. Here are a couple of my favorites:
Alforon is a Lebanese restaurant and it's SO good! Prices are reasonable, and the owners are awesome.

Mimmo's Italian Village in Little Italy. AWESOME Italian food, and a very Disney-like atmosphere.
katesorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
TroyH
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info folks!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
TroyH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebee21 View Post
Ha Ha! DH is going to San Diego for Comic Con and then we're heading up to Anaheim for a couple of days So we'll be there the same time as you!

Anyhow, as the previous poster mentioned, it could take awhile in rush hour traffic, probably around 2 hours if there's no accidents, so go early. Also, since you're coming back to San Diego, you may want to look at the Amtrak train. It goes from San Diego to Anaheim and then you don't have to worry about driving. You'll need to take a cab from the Anaheim amtrak station to Disneyland, and back, but it's not that far, so it should only be about $10-$15.

As far as eating in San Diego, you should try any of the mexican restaurants in old town. They're all pretty good. From the Convention Center, you just hop on the trolley and it will take you straight to old town. Also, on the trolley line is a big mall, and they have a lot of your standard chain type restaurants (California Pizza Kitchen, PF Changs, etc) so that's pretty easy to get to from the convention center. Also, on the trolley line is the Gaslamp district. There's tons of places to eat and bars down there. We really like to eat at Yardhouse down there. It's a brewery type restaurant but is really good. What part of San Diego are you staying in? I might now of a couple other places close to where you're staying?

If you have any other questions or need any help, let me know. DH has done Comic Con the past few years so we know how it all works
All really good info thank you! Were staying uin Hotel Circle in Mission Valley I believe @ The Courtyard Marriot. One of the reasons we picked this place was the trolly ride to downtown so we wouldnt have to try to park downtown. Im definetely going to hit up Old Town for some good mexican food. We will be in San Diego from July 20-25th
Old 04-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyH View Post
All really good info thank you! Were staying uin Hotel Circle in Mission Valley I believe @ The Courtyard Marriot. One of the reasons we picked this place was the trolly ride to downtown so we wouldnt have to try to park downtown. Im definetely going to hit up Old Town for some good mexican food. We will be in San Diego from July 20-25th
We're staying on Hotel Circle, at the Town & Country Resort for the same reason. DH hates trying to park around the convention center, so it's way easier to take the trolley down there. We're going to be there July 20-24 and then moving up to Anaheim for a few days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: