Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #91
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Thanks! I took a long weekend to visit my brother, his wife and my brand-new nephew up in New Hampshire. We had a great time exploring New England...once I get the pictures uploaded online, I'll probably do another TR on the Disdads.com page, if you're interested.
A ninja post!! I would love to read about your New England trip! I was there in 2008 and loved that region. But your trip reports are a great read, wherever you go!

Did I ever mention that I read the other updates on your Statue of Liberty TR and really enjoyed them? When we were there in 2008 we were not able to go all the way up, only on to the plattform level. But we had to book ticket for that in advance and there was so much security to jsut go there... We also loved the Ellis Island museum. There is kind of the opposite of this in Hamburg where many ships with emmigrants departed from: Ballin Stadt

Quote:
Nice work! I've heard good things about Lufthansa, and I'm glad you got your preference!

And for the plane photos and seat diagrams. I thought I was an obsessive planner!
In Germany Lufthansa has a very good reputation and I like flying with them. But some of that might also be that people prefer their national airline. So I am not really sure how good they are in international comparison. I think some of the Asian airlines are much better, but there isn't a chance to fly with them to Orlando, so it really does not matter.

And the plane and seating chart: they were already on photobucket from my last PTR, so pretty easy to get...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #92
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

Just got caught up reading your PTR and I can't wait to read more

When we were looking at the Pictures of the plane, my son Liam asked me if that was the plane we were going to be on when we went to WDW. I had to laugh and tell him no, our plane would not be as big. Plus only having a 2 1/2 hour flight we would not get any food on our flight, just a drink. That's OK, I would much rather bring something to snack on anyway.

One of these days I would love to be able to visit Germany and all those castles (maybe see if I can find any relatives. Great Grandma from there) Some day I hope.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #93
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
  • Lufthansa personel speaks German, Air France personel speaks French, a foreign language we both aren't good at.
This made me think of a quote by Steve Martin: "Boy, those French! They have a different word for everything!"

Good catch on checking whether you had a different plane and snagging better seats.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #94
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

Forgot to say that we are also going on a Birthday trip with out a birtday at the end of May. Taking my son for his birthday which will actually be the week previous. Hey may even throw in my birthday as well though it isn't until August.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #95
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
A ninja post!! I would love to read about your New England trip! I was there in 2008 and loved that region. But your trip reports are a great read, wherever you go!
Flattery will get you everywhere! But seriously, thank you. Where did you go in 2008?

Quote:
Did I ever mention that I read the other updates on your Statue of Liberty TR and really enjoyed them? When we were there in 2008 we were not able to go all the way up, only on to the plattform level. But we had to book ticket for that in advance and there was so much security to jsut go there... We also loved the Ellis Island museum. There is kind of the opposite of this in Hamburg where many ships with emmigrants departed from: Ballin Stadt
Yes, you did mention that, and once again--thanks so much for reading! It's music to my ears (eyes?) to see that you enjoyed them. Maybe someday you can come back and climb to the crown! Although as you saw...there's really not much to see up there.

That museum in Hamburg looks very interesting. Having seen Ellis Island now, it would be interesting to see what it was like on the other side. I wonder if Hamburg is the port my mother was looking for when she couldn't find her ancestors!

Quote:
In Germany Lufthansa has a very good reputation and I like flying with them. But some of that might also be that people prefer their national airline. So I am not really sure how good they are in international comparison. I think some of the Asian airlines are much better, but there isn't a chance to fly with them to Orlando, so it really does not matter.

And the plane and seating chart: they were already on photobucket from my last PTR, so pretty easy to get...
Still...even having them available is impressive!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #96
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

A Belated Welcome Home!

I've enjoyed getting back up to speed on the planning of your October trip. I'm so glad the flights are now squared away and your seats are better.

I'm really looking forward to your October trip.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #97
Flossbolna

I am quite excited!! It looks like Katharina and I have just finished our PLAN of attack for our trip including all the ADRs we want to get!! I have been wrecking my brain for some time on how to get everything into a plan which still allows relaxation as well as getting everything done we want to do... I really like what we came up with!

Things will start to be revealed soon (I know all of you wonder when I will stop writing about that boring WDW stuff and get to the juicy DLP stuff... ), our ADR day is only 2 weeks away, so there will be some reporting about restaurants soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
Just got caught up reading your PTR and I can't wait to read more

When we were looking at the Pictures of the plane, my son Liam asked me if that was the plane we were going to be on when we went to WDW. I had to laugh and tell him no, our plane would not be as big. Plus only having a 2 1/2 hour flight we would not get any food on our flight, just a drink. That's OK, I would much rather bring something to snack on anyway.

One of these days I would love to be able to visit Germany and all those castles (maybe see if I can find any relatives. Great Grandma from there) Some day I hope.
Hi and Those large planes are quiet impressive, aren't they? Especially at the airport when they are parked next to a 737. We migh bring some snacks for the flight as well, the problem is just that we would have to make sure to eat it during the flight or have to throw it into the trash since you are not allowed to import food stuff the US (luckily cookies and candy are exempt, so I can still bring/send those as gifts).

Germany is a wonderful country and I am sure you would find it much easier to travel in Europe than most people think it is. One of my DISfriends, lovealldisney, just travelled across Germany with her DH last summer and they had a brilliant time. I am sure she would agree that it was very doable. Of course the flights are expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
Forgot to say that we are also going on a Birthday trip with out a birtday at the end of May. Taking my son for his birthday which will actually be the week previous. Hey may even throw in my birthday as well though it isn't until August.
I think it is very common to celebrate a non-birthday at WDW! On the teacups ride you should actually celebrate your unbirthday anyway!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
This made me think of a quote by Steve Martin: "Boy, those French! They have a different word for everything!"

Ok, I will let Mark find the movie this quote is from... And btw, the quarter pounder is called a Hamburger Royal in Germany as well!

And just to add another "history" lesson (even though this is linguistics I think?): He is pretty wrong, English adopted so many French words through the Norman invasion in 1066. They are just pronounced differently. Think beef - boeuf, pork - porc, liberty - liberté, arrive - arriver. But I am sure you know that anyway.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Last edited by Flossbolna; 03-31-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #98
Flossbolna

Quote:
Flattery will get you everywhere! But seriously, thank you. Where did you go in 2008?
We started in NYC (that's the same trip I was at the Statue of Liberty) and then drove along the coast, stopped in New Haven and Newport and then spent a few days on Cape Cod, then up towards NH where we stayed in North Conway for a few days (just before the start of the fall season, but the leaves were already really pretty!) and then ended in Boston and flew home from there. We did a lot of the driving along small country roads and stopped in all kind of small towns. Once we came across a parade which was great to watch!

Quote:
Yes, you did mention that, and once again--thanks so much for reading! It's music to my ears (eyes?) to see that you enjoyed them. Maybe someday you can come back and climb to the crown! Although as you saw...there's really not much to see up there.
I am quite certain that a trip to NYC will happen within the next five years, but I am not sure I want to dedicate another full day for this excursion. But then, there was lots which we did not explore in depth at the Ellis Island museum, so a return trip might be worth it...

Quote:
That museum in Hamburg looks very interesting. Having seen Ellis Island now, it would be interesting to see what it was like on the other side. I wonder if Hamburg is the port my mother was looking for when she couldn't find her ancestors!
I have been meaning to visit it for quite some time. Perhaps I should make a weekend trip to Hamburg this summer, it is an interesting city!

Hamburg was one of the large emmigration ports, but Bremerhaven was as well. And I think there were others as well. I read that her ancestors were from Frankfurt - and there are two Frankfurts in Germany even, one at the river Main and the other at the river Oder. From what I gathered, she really has very little information to start from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
A Belated Welcome Home!

I've enjoyed getting back up to speed on the planning of your October trip. I'm so glad the flights are now squared away and your seats are better.

I'm really looking forward to your October trip.
Thanks! I am getting very excited about the October trip as well. Booking the flights is always a big thing since they are actually the biggest chunk of money (since I now can stay at the resort "for free" - not considering the DVC purchase price ).

Last edited by Flossbolna; 03-31-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #99
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the advice!! Did you ever go in October? We are a bit scared about the heat and we will definitely build in breaks in our plan! As well as two visits to the water parks!!
Magdelene, we have done a few trips during Oct. In 2004, we were there the very end of Oct and into Nov. They were experiencing record heat then and it was in the 90s every day. My children were 4 and 6 then. All they really wanted to do was stay at the pool.
In 2006 we went the 2nd week of Oct due accompanying DD ballet group. Weather was not quite as hot, but still plenty warm for swimming daily.
In 2009, I went with girlfriends the 3rd week of Oct. and it was much cooler that trip. We needed jackets or sweatshirts in the mornings and evenings and it was comfortable with capris/short sleeves during the day.
So the best advice I can give you is to be sure to pack a few bits of clothes for cooler temps, but it should be mostly 80s.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #100
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Magdelene, we have done a few trips during Oct. In 2004, we were there the very end of Oct and into Nov. They were experiencing record heat then and it was in the 90s every day. My children were 4 and 6 then. All they really wanted to do was stay at the pool.
In 2006 we went the 2nd week of Oct due accompanying DD ballet group. Weather was not quite as hot, but still plenty warm for swimming daily.
In 2009, I went with girlfriends the 3rd week of Oct. and it was much cooler that trip. We needed jackets or sweatshirts in the mornings and evenings and it was comfortable with capris/short sleeves during the day.
So the best advice I can give you is to be sure to pack a few bits of clothes for cooler temps, but it should be mostly 80s.
Wow, we might have been at WDW at the same time in 2004!! That was my first trip to Florida with a friend. We started in Jacksonville (wanted to get the rental car in Florida to avoid one-way-rental-fees), drove to Savannah, Georgia, then down to Orlando (visited Blue Springs State Park along the way which was a wonderful place!), spent 5 days at WDW (Nov. 2-7, 2004), then on to Naples, a brief visit to the Everglades, on to the Keys and then ended in Miami. I remember this trip to have been very hot and humid. I was afraid that earlier in October would be even hotter, but I am reliefed to hear that this was record heat!!

Thank you very much for your detailed advice, that was very helpful! I think we will make sure to pack a few jackets/cardigans anyway, especially for bringing along for meals at the TS restaurants. I always get cold in airconditioned rooms after some time...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #101
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:

I too have been in Oct. My favorite time of year.

As a kid I remember it being nice and warm but other than that, not much help.

I was also there in 2006 and it was warm but not real hot, 2009 there was a cold snap and one morning it was 43 degrees which is pretty cold for Oct.

2010 it was HOT. So just watch the weather and plan accordingly.

Also it will be hurricane season so that adds an element of surprise to the equation.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #102
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:

I too have been in Oct. My favorite time of year.

As a kid I remember it being nice and warm but other than that, not much help.

I was also there in 2006 and it was warm but not real hot, 2009 there was a cold snap and one morning it was 43 degrees which is pretty cold for Oct.

2010 it was HOT. So just watch the weather and plan accordingly.

Also it will be hurricane season so that adds an element of surprise to the equation.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #103
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the advice!! Did you ever go in October? We are a bit scared about the heat and we will definitely build in breaks in our plan! As well as two visits to the water parks!!
Carol and I were there last October and I found the weather to be perfect !! The humidity was okay and the temperature in the 80's but not unbearable at all !!I much preferred this time to February which I found to cool !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #104
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Oh no! I never thought of that! Magdalene, why didn't you tell me? Or were you afraid I wouldn't come on the trip with you? I'm very much afraid of all weather conditions that we don't have here in Central Europe...

Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #105
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

DLP, DLP, DLP...

j/k

great, and thorough update on your travel. Awesome savvy traveler move there getting better seats when you saw the aircraft change! Suh-weet!

Still loving me some Lufthansa food. Best in the industry. They also serve a nice breakfast.

That's pretty amazing that your flights arrive within 5 minutes of one another! WOW! That's danged convenient!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: