Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #931
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Part 12: Royal Pacific Resort and Tchoup Chop

RPR has a similar theme as the Polynesian and it is very nicely themed. But it is a bit more formal, I would say more “colonial” also. I really liked the look of it. There are several seating areas in the lobby and it had a welcoming feel for me.

We were very early for our reservation and were also meeting some friends of mine whom I got to know through another discussion board for dinner. So we sat in the lobby for a bit to wait for them. While we were sitting there a manager came to talk to us and asked us whether we were enjoying our stay at the hotel. We told him that we were there just for dinner and talked a bit with him about the hotel. He was really very nice and definitely very proud of his hotel.

Then it was time for dinner and our friends showed up. Since they had a car, they offered to take us back to the Boardwalk after the meal and one of them was so nice to take our huge shopping bags filled with Universal merchandise as well as our wet clothes out to their car! Very convenient!!

One thing that was a bit strange about the layout of the hotel was that in order to get to Tchoup Chop we had to go down some stairs and somehow to me it felt like we were going down into the basement. We had to exit the building there and then walk alongside the pool to get to Tchoup Chop. I was wondering why they were hiding the restaurant away. But then you go downstairs from the lobby for Boma and Jiko as AKL as well. And I was thinking that in daylight I might be less confused about the layout...

We had an excellent meal at Tchoup Chop, which has a wonderful atmosphere. Sorry, I did not take any pictures during dinner, it just did not seem to fit. Also it is rather dark inside and any picture would have required flash. But here is one I borrowed from the DIS to show how beautiful it is:

I was very impressed that our server asked when he brought the “bread” basket – which was filled with prawn crackers - whether anyone at the table was allergic to shellfish. I hadn't seen the basket and said yes and then realised that he was about to disappear with the basket. I did not want Katharina and the others to miss out on the crackers because of me and immediately told him that I would have no trouble with the basket standing on the table, I just would not eat them. And he said that he would bring an alternative for me. And he did, it was freshly fried wan tan dough platters (that's the best I can explain it) with a different dipping sauce than what came with the prawn crackers. I thought that this was really excellent!

Katharina and I shared an appetizer: Mongolian Glazed Slow Roasted Pork Belly in Chinese Style Steamed Buns with Spicy Napa Slaw. This was very delicious! Rather sweet and we were a bit surprised that the meat was not inside the buns, but it was more served like rolled up in pancakes, but a slice of bun instead of a pancake. The friends shared the baby iceberg wedge salad which they had on a previous visit. They loved it again.

I then had Ginger Brined Pork Tenderloin with Savory Sesame French Toast and Mandarin Chili Glaze. Once again, slightly sweet tasting (especially the french toast). I was at first not so sure what to expect of the french toast, but it was extremely delicious and went very well with the pork. I love the pork tenderloin at California Grill, but this was at least equally good, even though totally different.

Katharina had something with sweet potatoes, but I am not sure what it was. It might have been Pan Roasted Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breast with a Sweet Potato Gratin, Summer Stone Fruit Chutney and Umeboshi Plum Glaze. ETA: Katharina says she had a lamb dish, not the duck. This has also been confirmed by one of the friends. But I am sure that the side was sweet potatoes!

One of the friends had the same pork dish as I and the other a chicken dish. Once again they ordered exactly the same as on their previous visit as they liked it so much then. And it did not disappoint them this time either!

I forgot to mention that at the beginning of the meal one of our servers had asked whether we are celebrating anything. I am not sure whether it was a standard question or whether it was due to the fact that I was carrying a gift bag which the friends had given to me (which had a lovely WDW mug in it in a design that fits very well with a Minnie mug that I bought on a previous visit). I was about to say no when one of the friends (who knew that the trip was originally a birthday trip - see title of the TR) was quicker and announced that we were celebrating my birthday. I had forgotten all about it until at the end of the meal I was suddenly presented with a birthday dessert: a scoop of mago sorbet which was absolutely delicious and was just the right thing to end the delicious meal!

One of the friends ordered dessert as well and while I have no idea anymore what it was, I was told that it was great.

All in all it was an excellent meal with wonderful company and a great way to end our day at Universal.

Foodwise it certainly was in the top three restaurants of this trip, the other two being California Grill and Flying Fish. But if you take value for money into account, it is the clear winner. Our appetizer was $9 and my pork was $24.50. The pork at California Grill is $37. So I really can recommend Tchoup Chop as a signature dining experience for prices as you would pay at a casual restaurant at WDW.

And maybe the best thing was that we had our own private transportation back to the Boardwalk thanks to our friends and did not have to worry about booking the shuttle return time and walk from the hotel all the way through Universal Citywalk to the parking garage.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Last edited by Flossbolna; 06-13-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: correction about Katharina's entree
Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #932
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
But here is one I borrowed from the DIS to show how beautiful it is:

It doesn't feel like a swimming pool inside, even if it looks like one on this picture.

Quote:
Katharina had something with sweet potatoes, but I am not sure what it was. It might have been Pan Roasted Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breast with a Sweet Potato Gratin, Summer Stone Fruit Chutney and Umeboshi Plum Glaze.
All I remember is that I had lamb and that it was very good.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #933
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Katharina, you made those people all excited about nothing!!!
Sorry, it didn't cross my mind that people could read it like this...

Old 06-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #934
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
Sorry, it didn't cross my mind that people could read it like this...
Well, there are some tentative plans that I did talk about... So I hope they were not all disappointed
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #935
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Well, maybe I can keep them entertained with my travel plans for the summer?

Let me tell you that I am very very excited for my summer vacation!

It will be the first time that I'll be traveling to the US with my DH and the first time for 20 years that he'll meet his host family where he stayed as an exchange student. And that's the reason why we'll fly to Louisville, KY and rent a car and explore Kentucky - but only for 5 days. Then we'll head further West (by plane) to Las Vegas and go on our first road trip outside of Europe: we'll see Valley of Fire, Hoover Damm (don't ask me why, DH picked it), Monument Valley, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Wendover, Ut (again, DH's pick), Great Basin NP, ghost towns and fly back to Germany from San Francisco after visiting with my aunt who lives in California.

This of course is only a very short version of our plans and there is still a lot of things to do and plan, but I just wanted to share my excitement! I'm counting the days and wish nearly every morning that I could stay at home a prepare for the trip instead of going to work...

Oh, and any tips of who to cope with change from 89% humidity in KY to nearly zero in NV?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #936
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

What a great restaurant update! Now I want to eat there on our next Universal trip. Not that I know when that is but that restaurant is now officially on my list! Great description of RPH. I actually prefer the decor to the Poly and I think you hit the nail on the head with the "formal"a dn "colonial" comments.

Quote:

It will be the first time that I'll be traveling to the US with my DH and the first time for 20 years that he'll meet his host family where he stayed as an exchange student. And that's the reason why we'll fly to Louisville, KY and rent a car and explore Kentucky - but only for 5 days. Then we'll head further West (by plane) to Las Vegas and go on our first road trip outside of Europe: we'll see Valley of Fire, Hoover Damm (don't ask me why, DH picked it), Monument Valley, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Wendover, Ut (again, DH's pick), Great Basin NP, ghost towns and fly back to Germany from San Francisco after visiting with my aunt who lives in California.

This of course is only a very short version of our plans and there is still a lot of things to do and plan, but I just wanted to share my excitement! I'm counting the days and wish nearly every morning that I could stay at home a prepare for the trip instead of going to work...

Oh, and any tips of who to cope with change from 89% humidity in KY to nearly zero in NV?
I am tired just reading all that. That is a very busy trip full of some beautiful places. As for NV just watch your feet! That lack of humidity makes it super easy for me to get blisters. And of course, drink lots and lots of water.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #937
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
All I remember is that I had lamb and that it was very good.
Yes, on of the friends mentioned after reading the update that you had lamb as well. I edited the update to correct that.

The friends also said that I left out that one of them had dessert which was delicious. And that reminded me that I indeed did get a special dessert as well! I need to add that to the post above...

Old 06-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #938
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The friends also said that I left out that one of them had dessert which was delicious. And that reminded me that I indeed did get a special dessert as well! I need to add that to the post above...
Ok, for everyone that already read the update: I just added two paragraphs and in order to save you to have to go back, here they are:

I forgot to mention that at the beginning of the meal one of our servers had asked whether we are celebrating anything. I am not sure whether it was a standard question or whether it was due to the fact that I was carrying a gift bag which the friends had given to me (which had a lovely WDW mug in it in a design that fits very well with a Minnie mug that I bought on a previous visit). I was about to say no when one of the friends (who knew that the trip was originally a birthday trip - see title of the TR) was quicker and announced that we were celebrating my birthday. I had forgotten all about it until at the end of the meal I was suddenly presented with a birthday dessert: a scoop of mago sorbet which was absolutely delicious and was just the right thing to end the delicious meal!

One of the friends ordered dessert as well and while I have no idea anymore what it was, I was told that it was great.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #939
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
What a great restaurant update! Now I want to eat there on our next Universal trip. Not that I know when that is but that restaurant is now officially on my list! Great description of RPH. I actually prefer the decor to the Poly and I think you hit the nail on the head with the "formal"a dn "colonial" comments.
I really loved the whole evening there! And I think you would really like Tchoup Chop. I will talk about it in another update, but I can tell you, that RPH is definitely on my list of possibilities for my next trip (if I include Universal, am also seriously thinking about doing Discovery Cove, Sea World and Aquatica next trip and I don't want to overdo it with all kind of different parks either...).

Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #940
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:

So excited for you two!! I hope you have an amazing time... Maybe you'll do a TR when you get back????

Magadalene,

Loved the review sound delishous...

Quote:
I have tentative plans for my next Disney trip - for late spring 2013. My plans for Disneyland this fall seem not to become reality as a big work projects will need lots of attention in the fall. But, to make up for it, my plans for spring 2013 might include a cruise.
Bummer about DL lets hope your plans for 2013 work out A cruise sounds really nice. I could never get DH on a cruise he HATES water (well he does bath LOL..) but hates swimming etc..

I unfortunatly have to wait for vacation until 2014... but oh what a vacation that will be... I am planning for 3 weeks hopefully things will work out as planned...
Old 06-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #941
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
Bummer about DL lets hope your plans for 2013 work out A cruise sounds really nice. I could never get DH on a cruise he HATES water (well he does bath LOL..) but hates swimming etc..

I unfortunatly have to wait for vacation until 2014... but oh what a vacation that will be... I am planning for 3 weeks hopefully things will work out as planned...
Oh, I really am a fish and love being in the water! There is something about a cruise that freaks me out a little - that you can't get off that ship whenever you want etc. But then, on a plane it is even worse and I have survived 12 hour plane trips - so a few days on sea should not be such a problem!!

Three weeks sound great for your plans! I am really looking forward to talking to you about all kind of plans once the trip comes closer. I think Brook is planning her trip to Europe for 2014 as well.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #942
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I am tired just reading all that. That is a very busy trip full of some beautiful places. As for NV just watch your feet! That lack of humidity makes it super easy for me to get blisters. And of course, drink lots and lots of water.
Yes, I guess we'll be tired, too. But we have been waiting for this trip for such a long time. And believe me the list of places I had to take off the itinerary is very long...

Quote:
Yes, on of the friends mentioned after reading the update that you had lamb as well. I edited the update to correct that.
The are reading this
I think we remember it because a rabbit was mentioned because of the lamb.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #943
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
So excited for you two!! I hope you have an amazing time... Maybe you'll do a TR when you get back????
I'm not so sure about a report, but we'll definitely have lots of pictures...

Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #944
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Sounds like a great meal with great service! And good work by your friends...

Happy Un-birthday!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #945
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The are reading this
I think we remember it because a rabbit was mentioned because of the lamb.
Ah - this explains it why you all remember it. The rabbit story wasn't new for me, so not so memorable...

Yes, I sent them the link. They supposedly liked what I wrote, but complained about the lack of food pictures.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: