Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #76
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

I really am so glad that worked out for you and you were able to keep your BWV reservation.... I can't wait to stay there, either, this May! Although I have stayed there once before- but that was only for one night, and after a cruise....so, not the happiest stay. I'm looking forward to really enjoying the BW for many years to come!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #77
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Ok, I'm back after reading it all. Like Cynthia, I'm confuzled... do you still technically have a split stay? In the end, it probably doesn't matter, except, if so, would you have to change rooms possibly??

I do love the Boardwalk area. Maybe not quite as much as the Poly or even AKL, but very close. I"m sure if i ever did do the walk to EPCOT"s backdoor, I'd love it even more.

I'd say all your reasons are very lovely ones. I'm so glad you ended up choosing this resort for your maiden voyage.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #78
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Welcome back ladies! Been away for a few days, just catching up. I'm glad things are working out for a stay at the Boardwalk!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #79
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleese View Post
I'm so excited but so jealous ! You have to get pics of you on the waterslide so I can pretend it's me Maybe one day here's hoping but until then I'll be happy to live through you

How's the weather by you? I see you have a spring smiley in your sig. Did you already do your marathon yet?
Do we look alike?? I am not sure I want to get my camera on that slide though... But I am planning on taking lots of pictures!

The weather here has been very nice and sunny the last days. And for the next week we are even supposed to get temperature in the 70s!! Not common for this time of the year...

The marathon was not a marathon, but a 5k! I did ok, I was training to get a time under 30 minutes, but did not make it, I got in at 31:47... But at least I went out and did it!! I am thinking about training for a 10k in June now again. I reall need to get in shape for that, June will be around soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
BWV - awesome! What style room, studio, 1-bd, standard, preferred, boardwalk? Inquiring minds want to know.
Sorry, I still haven't gotten used to different types of rooms being available: we got a studio. I briefly thought about a one bedroom, but since that would not give us a second bed and would still mean that Katharina has to sleep on a pull out couch, I did not see the real benefit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I see you have a long and detailed update there, but I am sitting here waiting for class to start and sadly will have to read it later tonight. Can't wait though!

By the way!! THANKS for the lovely postcard I got in the mail today! WHAT FUN to get something from such a beautiful looking castle! Loved it!
I somehow missed your post, I am glad that you got it! The castle is beautiful, isn't it? I really love it!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #80
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
I really am so glad that worked out for you and you were able to keep your BWV reservation.... I can't wait to stay there, either, this May! Although I have stayed there once before- but that was only for one night, and after a cruise....so, not the happiest stay. I'm looking forward to really enjoying the BW for many years to come!
You mentioned this before that your experience with the BW wasn't that great. But since we are neighbours there now, I hope you and I will both have many happy stays there! So the Moms trip this year will be to the BW? Is Cammie coming along for that trip as well? Her TRs were some of the first I ever got involved in here on the DIS, I think she isn't around that much anymore, is she? Say hi to her from a secret fan! I hope she and her daughters are doing well!

And I am looking forward to all the BW pictures you will bring back in May!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Ok, I'm back after reading it all. Like Cynthia, I'm confuzled... do you still technically have a split stay? In the end, it probably doesn't matter, except, if so, would you have to change rooms possibly??

I do love the Boardwalk area. Maybe not quite as much as the Poly or even AKL, but very close. I"m sure if i ever did do the walk to EPCOT"s backdoor, I'd love it even more.

I'd say all your reasons are very lovely ones. I'm so glad you ended up choosing this resort for your maiden voyage.
Sorry for all the confusion! I need to edit that post!!

I cancelled the November reservation once our plans were definite for October. And thanks to the waitlist we now can stay in one room for the whole stay.

It's funny how a lot of people seem to like this combination of resorts: AKL, Poly, BWV You have great taste, Liesa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Welcome back ladies! Been away for a few days, just catching up. I'm glad things are working out for a stay at the Boardwalk!
Hi Captain, I had been wondering this morning what might have happened to you... We already seem to have lost Marvin to his work load and computer trouble... Good to see you back!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 03-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #81
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

A few additions to the Boardwalk post...

I was so excited to tell you all about the Boardwalk that I forgot to tell about half the important facts. I have edited the post above, but for those who already have read it, here are some clarifications/additions:

We will be staying 11 nights in a garden view/pool view studio, no moving around at all. I have requested a "Village Green view" which means a view of the lawn between the boardwalk at the lake and lobby building. If we get this it will be nearly as good as a Boardwalk view, which would have been my first choice (and which I had booked for November).

By now it has been settled that the trip will happen in October, so I cancelled the November reservation (will have lots of points to bank from 2011 use year into 2012 - must do that before March 2012!).

Sorry for all the confusion!!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #82
sue_88
DIS veteran

I'm looking forward to reading your reports and hopeing that neither of you get upset and throw a tantrum.

My first trip report. In progress!
Let's Start with Art!! A November 2013 Trip Report
[/URL]
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #83
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue_88 View Post
I'm looking forward to reading your reports and hopeing that neither of you get upset and throw a tantrum.

We hope that we will be able to refrain from tantrums this time as well. We are already discussing plans and are trying to make them a lit more relaxing than the last trip!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #84
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Hi Magdalene,

Just remember that October can be still quite hot in Florida, so taking afternoon breaks to nap or swim is a good idea.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #85
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

How to get there?

Ok, this is a very theoretical question. There really only is one way that is practical to get from Germany to WDW: by airplane. Of course I am dreaming of one day taking a transatlantic cruise on a Disney Cruise Line Ship to travel to WDW, but the dates did not fit this time...

If you want just the end result, I could nearly just copy the PTR post about our flights from the 2010 trip, but as you know me, I love to tell the long story... So here it is (in abridged form):

In 2010 we flew with Lufthansa, the German airline, from Berlin to Frankfurt and then from Frankfurt to Orlando. We really liked that.

When we started looking at flights we were rather shocked how expensive Lufthansa was for October. We did not like that and started looking around. Air France was going to start direct flights from Paris to Orlando as well, so we considered that as an option.

We really rather wanted to connect in Europe, not in the US. The reason for this is: if you are connecting in Europe, your luggage will always be checked through to your final destination. However if you arrive in the US and connect onto a domestic flight, you have to go through immigration, collect your luggage and then go through customs at your first point of entry into the US. After customs you can then give away your luggage again for it to be transported on your domestic flight. The whole immigration/customs process can be rather lengthy. I am someone who always worries when you have to make a connection that you might miss it and knowing that I might have to wait in endless lines when I have to make a connection is not good...

So we had two options: expensive Lufthansa or slightly less expensive (but no way cheap) Air France:
  • Lufthansa uses a plane which has 2-4-2 seat configuration, Air France one which had 3-4-3 seat configuration, so we would not be able to have one row just with the two of us.
  • Air France makes us connect in Charles-de-Gaulle Airport which is huge and very complicated and which has a bit of a reputation of losing luggage. Lufthansa makes us connect in Frankfurt which is pretty large as well, but not as complicated as CDG.
  • Lufthansa has in-seat entertainment, Air France only has large screens with the same entertainment for everyone.
  • Air France serves champagne in economy, Lufthansa doesn't. But then we follow the rule on how to avoid jet-lag: don't drink alcohol or caffein on the day of your flight.
  • Lufthansa personel speaks German, Air France personel speaks French, a foreign language we both aren't good at.
We really preferred Lufthansa, but did not think it was worth the price difference. However, then we realized that there might be a tiny chance that Katharina would have to reschedule the October trip (there will be a change in management at her workplace) and the Air France ticket was non-refundable and non-rebookable. She would lose all the money payed for it. So she really needed to get a refundable ticket (or at least one where she could change the dates on). And me, too. I would not want to have to go on my own in October. And the more flexible Air France ticket then wasn't that far away from the price of the Lufthansa ticket!!

So now we are booked on LH 464 leaving Frankfurt on October 11 at 2:05 pm, arriving at MCO at 6:05 pm after 10 hours!! We will return on October 22 on LH 465 leaving MCO at 8:30 pm, arriving in Frankfurt at 11:25am the next day, that flight is about 1 hour shorter than the way there.

We will try to keep ourselves entertained during the flight with hopefully a better movie selection than on the last flight on our personal TVs:

And will be fed two meals - a lunch about 1-2 hours after departure

and then a warm snack (usually a pasta dish) about 1.5 hours before arrival

Last time Katharina had ordered a lactose free meal (all kind of special dietary needs meals are available for pre-order). But these contained quite a lot of tomato. And the foods which are the biggest trouble for her are dairy and tomato. So those meals weren't really good for her either. So this time she will just have the normal meal and we will see what she can eat and she will bring some cookies and fruit for the flight as well.

When we booked the flight I was amazed how many seats were already booked on the plane and we did get ok seats, but not great ones. Then, a few days after we had booked we got an email from Lufthansa with another confirmation. We were at first confused, but then figured out that the flight times had become 10 minutes shorter. I was surprised, but then had an idea: perhaps that meant that they changed the type of plane they had planned on using . And checked wether we still had our seats assigned. When I did this I discovered that indeed this was now a larger plane and a row of seats had opened up which was not available before. These seats were much better and I immediately changed our reservation!

We will now have the same plane as last time: An Airbus 340-600:

And we will be in 30H and 30K on both ways, way to the front of the economy cabin. This makes a huge difference in getting off the plane and being towards the front of the lines at immigration!!

As you can see, the A340 is quite interesting: the bathrooms are downstairs...

I wrote about the long flight first because it is more exciting. But in order to prevent confusion: Katharina's ticket actually has her flying from Berlin to Frankfurt in the morning of our departure day and I will be flying from Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Our flights arrive in Frankfurt within 5 minutes of each other, so we will meat up there and then will try to find some lunch. On the way back we will split up and continue on our respective connecting flights to Berlin or Nuremberg.

P.S.: Sorry for the recycling of plane pictures from 2009!!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #86
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
Hi Magdalene,

Just remember that October can be still quite hot in Florida, so taking afternoon breaks to nap or swim is a good idea.
Thanks for the advice!! Did you ever go in October? We are a bit scared about the heat and we will definitely build in breaks in our plan! As well as two visits to the water parks!!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #87
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Thanks for the advice!! Did you ever go in October? We are a bit scared about the heat and we will definitely build in breaks in our plan! As well as two visits to the water parks!!
Yes I've been in October when the weather was still in the 90's! But that was a while ago. I would do some research on the weather during that time and plan accordingly. At least you will have nicer weather than last time. That's a good thing.

I love the flight update! And I love the airplane pictures! When you go in October can I request from you pictures of the airport? It's weird but I love reading about the whole journey to whatever destination your going to. And I love airport pictures.

I think you made the right choice on taking Lufthansa again, my motto when in doubt go with your gut feeling. To me I think it's worth the extra price.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #88
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

Those are some LONG flights! I am dying to travel internationally, but I just don't know if I could handle that long for traveling. I am just not a good traveler.

We are planning a trip out to visit some family in the midwest. I think we are going to drive out (plane ticket prices are not pretty!) and it would be 13.5 hours. I am NOT looking forward to it!!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #89
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Hi Captain, I had been wondering this morning what might have happened to you... We already seem to have lost Marvin to his work load and computer trouble... Good to see you back!
Thanks! I took a long weekend to visit my brother, his wife and my brand-new nephew up in New Hampshire. We had a great time exploring New England...once I get the pictures uploaded online, I'll probably do another TR on the Disdads.com page, if you're interested.

Quote:
And the more flexible Air France ticket then wasn't that far away from the price of the Lufthansa ticket!!
Nice work! I've heard good things about Lufthansa, and I'm glad you got your preference!

And for the plane photos and seat diagrams. I thought I was an obsessive planner!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #90
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes I've been in October when the weather was still in the 90's! But that was a while ago. I would do some research on the weather during that time and plan accordingly. At least you will have nicer weather than last time. That's a good thing.
We already looked at some historical weather data and realized that it will be hot. But just as you said, we are really looking forward to it being warmer than last time!! And we hope it won't be as hot as July!!

So far we have a few EMH mornings and I think those will work well in warmer weather. But it will be strange that due to it still being daylight saving time while we are there, sunrise will be slightly later than in January, and sunset will be much later than in January. It will make for a differnt touring feeling to have daylight until 7:30pm!

Quote:
I love the flight update! And I love the airplane pictures! When you go in October can I request from you pictures of the airport? It's weird but I love reading about the whole journey to whatever destination your going to. And I love airport pictures.

I think you made the right choice on taking Lufthansa again, my motto when in doubt go with your gut feeling. To me I think it's worth the extra price.
Ok, I will try to take lots of airport pictures! I guess you must have loved Liesas TR then, she must have had the longest trip to WDW ever! And I think you are right, we are really excited about our flights and that just adds to a general excitement about the trip. That's much nicer than questioning oneself all the time whether it was the right decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
Those are some LONG flights! I am dying to travel internationally, but I just don't know if I could handle that long for traveling. I am just not a good traveler.

We are planning a trip out to visit some family in the midwest. I think we are going to drive out (plane ticket prices are not pretty!) and it would be 13.5 hours. I am NOT looking forward to it!!
The flights are a bit tiresome. Especially you have so little private space. They do keep you busy with food and entertainment, but the best thing is to bring an interesting book. On the trip back it is a red-eye flight and I am pretty good at sleeping on the plane. Sleeping from the US to Europe also helps you adjust to the new time zone, but going from Europe to the US I find that trying to keep awake will help you adjust much better.

13.5 hours in the car is very long, but at least you can stop along the way!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: