Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #751
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Mounds don't...
Because.........

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #752
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Because.........

Almond Joy's got rich milk chocolate
Coconut and a crunchy nut, too
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #753
marvali
DIS Veteran

Got a text message from Magdalene about an hour ago. Guess what finally showed up in her mail box.......one day shy of five weeks since I sent it!!!

Maybe we'll get an update soon with that red-neck photo of our ride on Dinosaur........

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #754
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Got a text message from Magdalene about an hour ago. Guess what finally showed up in her mail box.......one day shy of five weeks since I sent it!!!

Maybe we'll get an update soon with that red-neck photo of our ride on Dinosaur........
Next time, don't send it by carrier pigeon! Poor little fella has to be exhausted.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #755
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I think we read the same book. I read about the layout being very much like US because Disney basically stole it to get a park like US open.
I think before Pixar Place, you would get stuck by Little Mermaid and then again down by Muppets and the streets of America.

It seems like they should be able to open up some sort of path between where the bathrooms are at RnR and the back of the fook kiosks but I think that area is involved in Food prep
I guess a lot of the info about WDW is repeated at so many different places. I am really not sure where I picked up that bit!

I just wish that they would give DHS something similar to the treatment DCA got in Florida, it is the park which needs it most!

Quote:
Driving might make it more reasonable to get over there more.
The worst is going back all wet on the air conditioned bus
Well, we made sure to dry off and change before getting on the bus back home. But, yes, we nearly always had a jacket with us for the bus which would be freezing cold.

Quote:
Slowly waterparks are themeing more but for most of them it is a poor attempt and it looks cheesy. They spend so much money on getting the actual attraction they leave nothing to look at whie you wait.
I don't really mind theme so much as greenery. I don't need everything to look like a Bavarian ski resort, but trees and other vegitation make a place much more inviting than concrete.

Quote:
Shark swim =
Yes, that was another reason why we did not find it that appealing...

Quote:
The Schitterbaun. In reality it should not take much to theme a place in an acceptable manner. Disney spares no expense but we have a waterpark near us ( outdoor) that has 1 "themed" waiting area. It is cheesy and totally lost on anyone walking in.

Even our place has only bright colors ( for a space theme?) and really no other themeing.
one themed waiting area sounds rather bizarre... And your place has a space theme? That sounds interesting!

Quote:
Love your thoughts on the MNSSHP. I believe if you go to MK the week of Halloween the parade is during regular nights. At least it was in 2006. A CM in the candy store made a point of telling us the Halloween parade was happening and even with the warning I had no idea ( PreDIS) how special it was.

So fireworks from the Poly and maybe the parade close to Halloween. Save the money. However with a group I imagine teh party would be a hoot. I was alone the time I went and while I had a good time and did most of the specil things I might go back if I knew I would be part of a group going. I think that might be the deciding factor for me.
I don't think that they show the Halloween parade without the party anymore. I know they do it for the Christmas parade. But I never heard this about Halloween. So your plan would only work half.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 12-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #756
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Count me among those who say it's a great picture of you!
Thanks!

Quote:
I've never seen the Halloween party either, so it's interesting to read about it. Seems like everyone raves about the Hallowishes fireworks show--I guess I'll have to try that sometime.
Yes, and I would really recommend to take the Poly beach option, the sound should be piped in and I think they will look fantastic from there! You can see all of the perimeter fireworks which in the park are all around you.

Quote:
And why all the hate for candy corns? If you have an unbalanced table, they're great for holding up the leg.
Yes, I can see that they would be useful for that! But not in the house which I have to clean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
It's terrible to have to consider everything "times 5", but that's the reality and I signed up for it. Someday we'll do some of the tours, like the Segway tour, etc., but they'll have to wait until they're "times 2".
And I think the "times 5" brings a lot of great moments with it anyway, even if you have to wait for the Segway tour for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Sometimes we'll run across a local candymaker that makes peanut butter eggs around Easter time, and they're actually even better than Reese's, but Reese's are pretty good. Yes, you found the right Mounds. You've gotta like coconut to like them, 'cause that's all they are....coconut and chocolate. Almond Joy are the same, but with an almond stuck in. I like them better without the almond.
Those easter eggs sound delicious! And I will certainly try to find Mounds in real life now the next time I am in the US, they sound delicious!!

I also found out now (thanks to Wikipedia) that our Bounty chocolate bar does not exist in the US - because of Mounds. Bounty is produced by Mars and they look like this:

There are two smaller bars in the package and the blue is milk chocolate and the red is dark chocolate. None of them has an almond!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #757
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Love both Almond Joy AND Mounds. The other difference is Almond Joy is Milk Chocolate and Mounds is Dark Chocolate.
Quote:
Sometimes you feel like a nut...
Quote:
sometimes you don't....
Quote:
Almond Joy's got nuts........
Quote:
Mounds don't...
Quote:
Because.........
Quote:
Almond Joy's got rich milk chocolate
Coconut and a crunchy nut, too
Ok, I don't really understand what you are all about, but it seems like you had fun!!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #758
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, I was so happy to get it! Including the lovely birthda card!!

Quote:
Next time, don't send it by carrier pigeon! Poor little fella has to be exhausted.
Well, my suspicion is that the letter travelled by boat. At least both Marv and I were told by our respective post office that the letter was in Miami in November and then I had a sticker from the customs office at the harbour in Hamburg on it. I just don't understand why.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #759
marvali
DIS Veteran

Those are the lines to the commercial jingle for Mounds and Almond Joy.

Looks like if you added two almonds under the milk chocolate of each bar in the blue package you would have the same as an Almond Joy. Red would be the same as a Mounds. Package colors would be essentially the same.

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 12-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #760
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Those are the lines to the commercial jingle for Mounds and Almond Joy.

Looks like if you added two almonds under the milk chocolate of each bar in the blue package you would have the same as an Almond Joy. Red would be the same as a Mounds. Package colors would be essentially the same.
It's quite funny how those chocolate bars are so similar even if they are from different manufacturers. I did some more research and found out that even other chocolate bars differ between Europe and the US. Your Milky Way for example is more like our Mars bar. While our Milky Way is like something called 3 Musketeers in the US. Very confusing!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #761
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Special Trip Feature #3: A Day at Universal - Part 1

Special Trip Feature #3: A Day at Universal

This is the big one! It was a full and long day and we left Disney for it: It was our day at Universal!

You can read all about the announcement of this special feature here and about our plans for the day here.

And this part will be in the typical trip report style – with many pictures!!

Let's start with Part 1: How to get there...

Our plan was to make use of the Dreams Unlimited deal for 2-park 1-day tickets including transportation from WDW to Universal and while Harry Potter was the main focus, we wanted to explore the other areas as well and wanted to see the highlights of both parks. And since Katharina's DH is a great Simpsons fan, we obviously had to make sure to see that ride, too!

The trip report really has to start the evening before. Because just before I switched off the lights (Katharina was already asleep), I decided to check what the weather for the next day was supposed to be like and got a huge shock: there was a severe weather warning in place for strong showers/thunderstorms with flooding etc!! I later found out that Disney closed Typhoon Lagoon that day because of that weather forecast! Not a happy thought to go to sleep with, I was really afraid that we would be rather miserable...

Well, the next morning we had the shuttle booked to pick us up at 7:25 am, so when we got up it was still dark outside, but at least not raining, even though it was really humid. We got packed and were out in front of the hotel waiting for our shuttle by 7:10 am. And we did not wait long, at about 7:15 am a van appeared which turned out to be our shuttle. I had read reports that the shuttle in the morning is a real bus collecting people at various resorts, so I was rather pleased that we would not travel all over WDW to collect people. It turned out that we still had to make one stop at Pop Century to get some more guests. On the way there our van driver got into a rant about a jogger which was running along the road in the Epcot resort area. It did look rather dangerous and I really don't see any point to run on a road with traffic there, especially since there are several walkways in that area where you could run.

With our early start we were soon off to Universal and got taken to the “commercial parking lot” which is in the same area as the normal parking for Universal theme park guests. Once we got there the van driver insisted that he had to keep the confirmation that I had printed out. At first I was a bit concerned because how would we get our tickets which we had to collect at Will Call at Universal? But then I reread the paper as I remembered that there was something about machines and there wasn't a bar code or anything similar printed on the voucher which could be scanned. And yes, it said just to have the confirmation number and the credit card. So I gave the paper to the van driver in exchange for our return trip voucher...

By now it was about 8 am and we started to walk towards Islands of Adventure (IoA), the “second park” at the resort and home to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (WWoHP). From the parking there is a long covered walkway towards Citywalk, Universal's version of Downtown Disney. At the beginning of the walkway was the bag check – the only one we had to go through. We really liked the fact that once you are in the theme park area you can hop from one park to the other without going through annoying bag checks!

We found those machines for picking up tickets without any problems and got our tickets printed with the confirmation number. There was even a button to press in case you had forgotten the number, so maybe you really only need the credit card you used to purchase the tickets with?

With our tickets in hand we decided to try whether they would let us into the park. Normally IoA opens at 9am, but WWoHP opens already at 8am for guests of the Universal hotels or guests staying at “good neighbour” hotels on packages booked through Universal. So you either have to show your room key or the ticket which supposedly has a special code (at least this is what I learned from reading the threads on the Universal boards here on the DIS). Since the shuttle/ticket combo we had was actually a “package” sold by Universal Vacations, there is the suspicion that those tickets have the same code as those for the “good neighbour” hotel packages... We did not count on being able to get into the park at 8am, but we certainly wanted to try our luck. So we went to the Team Member (Universal's term for the people called Cast Member at Disney) and Katharina showed her her ticket and she waved us through to the turnstiles!!

And off we go:

and we will continue in Part 2...

Last edited by Flossbolna; 12-15-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #762
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
one themed waiting area sounds rather bizarre... And your place has a space theme? That sounds interesting!
Sorry If I am posting in between yours.

The one themed area was a bit bizarre and not very effective either.

The Waterpark icalled Ray's Splash Planet. Ray - who everyone thinks is the owner, we are Park and Rec and do not have a Ray - is actually Recreate All Year, our mascot. He is a Sun - get it "ray" the sun! ?! so I am sure the "space " theme was put around that. Really the only space related things are the "names " of the attractions. Our slide is the Blue comet, etc. That is really the only one that is still used.

Quote:

I don't think that they show the Halloween parade without the party anymore. I know they do it for the Christmas parade. But I never heard this about Halloween. So your plan would only work half.
i have not been back real close to Halloween since '06 so I don't know if they still do it or not.

Quote:
Ok, I don't really understand what you are all about, but it seems like you had fun!!
Like Marv Said it was the jingle to the commercial for Mounds and Amond Joy. I thik you can either you tube or google it to see it. It is a catchy little tune.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 12-15-2011, 05:38 AM   #763
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Like Marv Said it was the jingle to the commercial for Mounds and Amond Joy. I thik you can either you tube or google it to see it. It is a catchy little tune.
Well it is NOW, thank you very much!!!

As a reward I will only say..............
It's a Small World after all,
It's a Small World after all..........

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #764
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
It's quite funny how those chocolate bars are so similar even if they are from different manufacturers. I did some more research and found out that even other chocolate bars differ between Europe and the US. Your Milky Way for example is more like our Mars bar. While our Milky Way is like something called 3 Musketeers in the US. Very confusing!

Very interesting Magdalene.... so what US chocolate HAVEN'T you eaten??? Oh and guess what??? 2013 I think will be bringing us meaning the kids too back to Germany! Dave wants to come during summer and I want Christmas... That still needs to be worked out. I'll email you more with how this came about lets just say Dave mentioned it before I could say anything...

Ok now I need to go read your update...
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #765
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
Katharina's DH is a great Simpsons fan
He would get along very well with my son! He loves the Simpsons too...

That picture you posted the weather did look rather daunting! I hope the day wasn't a complete washout for you. Good to know about the shuttle, if we had planned a Disney vacation for next year Universal was on the kids list of things to do. Anxious to hear how you liked it and Harry Potter as I'm a huge fan...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: