Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #736
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Special Feature #2: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Special Feature #2: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Ever since we knew that the trip would be in October,we were certain that we wanted to experience the party. Halloween is not a holiday celebrated in Germany and we thought it would be really funny to explore this. You can read our plans here.

Originally we had no plans to get any costumes for the party, but then on our first morning at the MK I saw this lovely Mickey Ears hat:

And wanted to get it... And convinced Katharina that those Mickey Ears would make perfect costumes for the Halloween party!! I got mine embroidered with my name on them, Katharina declined that... But at least we are able to keep our hats apart now.

Since we now had our hats, we decided that we needed to wear clothes that matched the hat and since none of us has any orange, we decided to go with black and this is us as we arrived at the MK for the party :

Yes, and we did something which I promised Katharina that we would never do: We wear matching outfits!!!! But I guess for Halloween dressing up is kind of mandatory, so it does not really count!

We also got another picture with Marv during the party :

We were really impressed by the many elaborate costumes we saw during the party, especially some which looked far too warm for that day!! But it was fun to watch people and see how many Fred Flintstones we did see – or to discuss with Marv and Jonathan whether we all saw the same blinky Tinkerbell or whether there were several of them around.

We did some trick and treating and figured out that there is a lot of American candy that we had never tried before. We have m&ms in Germany as well and the same counts for the mini Snicker bars we got. But neither of us ever had a Tootsie Roll before – they seem to come in many different shapes and even tastes! And while Milky Ways taste the same, they have a much nicer wrapper in Germany! Katharina also got to try candy corn for the first time. When she saw it in a shop for the first time, she thought it did look very unappetising, more like a rotten tooth than a kernel of corn... So that is our name for candy corn now... And, no, getting a taste of it has not improved our opinion...

We met Marv and Jonathan just before the fireworks which we watched together from the end of Main Street. Beautiful, fantastic show!! It is by far my most favourite Disney fireworks show now. It is a lot of fun, has lots of colour and just great to watch.

I am not sure whether what we did after the fireworks, but I think I convinced the others that we ought to find a place from where to see the second parade. Even though I am not a parade person, I wanted to make sure to see this – and wanted to see the Headless Horseman who rides before the parade. Unfortunately I made the mistake of thinking that the parade would start 15 minutes earlier than it really did... That's why we found such a great spot in Frontierland so easily. I felt a bit sorry for my blunder, but we really had a perfect first row spot to see everything and were strategically placed to get away immediately after the end of the parade to get on the Haunted Mansion.

The parade was truly wonderful. This is a parade which I would make sure to watch when I get the opportunity again. It was so much fun. I really loved the atmosphere of it, the music, the costumes. Great entertainment!!

We did get to ride quite a few rides during the party, most with not so long lines. And we did enjoy the added spookiness of the Haunted Mansion CMs as well as the projections of a big spider onto Space Mountain.

But what we did not enjoy was the rather hectic and crowded atmosphere of people running from A to B. While the lines at attractions were rather short mostly and the lines for the candy were only long during the first hour of the parade, it just felt that lots of people were out on the walkways. Maybe the fact that the former Toontown is closed now added to that feeling. Strangely, it was not at all crowded on Main Street during Hallowishes.

Also, we did not see any of the shows, dance parties nor did we queue for any of the character meet and greets – the lines for those were exceptionally long!!

So, in the end, what did we think of it? It was really fun to celebrate Halloween that way and the fireworks and the parade were outstanding. But that was all. So in the end the question is really: is it worth $ 56.40 per person (that is including taxes but with a pre-purchase and DVC discount)? Most likely not – at least not for a repeat visit very soon. I am really glad that we did it and don't regret that we spent the money on it. But I think I will be content with watching Hallowishes from the Poly beach if I am back at WDW during October in the next few years...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #737
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
Love it! You look adorable! I really do like your hair this length.

To funny about the candy corn! Rotten teeth..... My sister and I had a favorite candy growing up they were called candy rasins well they didn't look like rasins at all more like boogers..... So that is what we call them... unfortunatly the company that made them is no longer around so no more boogers for us....

What was your impression on tooties rolls? Dave loves the flavored fruit ones I like the chocolate ones... Did you have any tooties pops in your Halloween bag?
Glad you like the party, and I agree I don't know if I would spend that much to attend. When I can have a Halloween party of my own and you and Katharina are more than welcome to attend for free...

Great update! Thanks for sharing....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #738
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
Love it! You look adorable! I really do like your hair this length.
Thanks! This picture was originally only taken because there wasn't any mirror around and I wanted to see what I looked like with the Mickey Ears in the shop. So I asked Katharina to take the picture... In the end I think it is one of the nicest pictures of me in recent years.

And when I posted it yesterday I was thinking that I need to get a hair dresser appointment soon because it looks much better when it is short as in that picture!

Quote:
To funny about the candy corn! Rotten teeth..... My sister and I had a favorite candy growing up they were called candy rasins well they didn't look like rasins at all more like boogers..... So that is what we call them... unfortunatly the company that made them is no longer around so no more boogers for us....
I always love it when you have your own secret names for things to share with someone else. Your candy raisin name is pretty funny, too! What a shame that they aren't around any longer.

Quote:
What was your impression on tooties rolls? Dave loves the flavored fruit ones I like the chocolate ones... Did you have any tooties pops in your Halloween bag? Glad you like the party, and I agree I don't know if I would spend that much to attend. When I can have a Halloween party of my own and you and Katharina are more than welcome to attend for free...

Great update! Thanks for sharing....
The tootsie rolls were ok, I like chewy candy. But I wasn't that impressed either. I prefer my German Maoam! Even though it never is chocolate flavoured...

Thanks for the invitation to your Halloween party!! Will there be fireworks and a parade as well?
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #739
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I've never been there for MNSSHP but I'd like to see the parade, however I doubt that it's worth the money just for that.

I'm not a big fan of tootsie rolls or candy corn. Reese's peanut butter cups and Mounds are a different story.

I agree, that's a really good picture of you in the pumpkin-ears hat!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #740
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a good time at the Halloween party, I would love to go if only for that parade and to see all of the costumes, but DH is not a huge fan of Halloween so it would take some convincing to get him to go with me. I love those pumpkin Mickey ears! I Love tootsie rolls and candy corn but with the candy corn I can only eat so much of it.

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #741
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Isn't it sad how many people feel like that: a park with a few really great attractions, but somehow it does not really work as a park. I very much understand your issue with the dead end. I often was annoyed about having to walk all the way back to ToT only to figure out that the wait is really long because they only have one elevator operating...

I think a lot of its issues are from how it was built. From what I have heard it was built very quickly as a response to Universal building in Orlando as well and they wanted to open MGM Studios before they opened Universal. And a huge part of the park was only accesible via the Studio Tour, you were never supposed to wander around the Streets of America as you are now. Now the park is burdened with a less than perfect concept and I think maybe it really needs a totally new master plan...
I think we read the same book. I read about the layout being very much like US because Disney basically stole it to get a park like US open.
I think before Pixar Place, you would get stuck by Little Mermaid and then again down by Muppets and the streets of America.

It seems like they should be able to open up some sort of path between where the bathrooms are at RnR and the back of the fook kiosks but I think that area is involved in Food prep

Quote:
I thought oyu would like the water park update!! I wish we had more opportunities to spend time there... This is one of the things that make me want to rent a car next time I am there, just throw the bathing suit in the trunk and then I can head directly from a park to a water park.

Dragging the tubes up the hills is not fun, that's why Katharina and I did opt out of the family raft ride at TL, much nicer at BB, where they have a lift for the huge rafts!
Driving might make it more reasonable to get over there more.
The worst is going back all wet on the air conditioned bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I'm the opposite of Glenn--I've been to Blizzard Beach, but never TL. Hope to get there on the next trip.

That being said, it sounds like you really enjoyed your time there. We were looking at other water parks (non-Disney) when we were doing trip research and were struck by how much Disney theming makes a difference! At the "other" parks it was just concrete, stairs, scaffolds, and waterslides.

So I guess Crush 'n Gusher is the can't-miss attraction at TL. Did you try the shark swim?
Slowly waterparks are themeing more but for most of them it is a poor attempt and it looks cheesy. They spend so much money on getting the actual attraction they leave nothing to look at whie you wait.

Shark swim =

Quote:
As I said before, I love both water parks. So if you have never been to TL, I can definitely recommend a visit! Do you go on water slides?? I mean, they include a drop into water...
Good one

Quote:
And the first ever water park Katharina and I went to was in 1992 in New Braunfels, Texas. I think Disney might have copied a bit of their theme when building BB since this is supposed to look like an Alpine village. I remember it looking a bit strange and definitely not as pretty as Disney, but it was not too bad either...
The Schitterbaun. In reality it should not take much to theme a place in an acceptable manner. Disney spares no expense but we have a waterpark near us ( outdoor) that has 1 "themed" waiting area. It is cheesy and totally lost on anyone walking in.

Even our place has only bright colors ( for a space theme?) and really no other themeing.

Love your thoughts on the MNSSHP. I believe if you go to MK the week of Halloween the parade is during regular nights. At least it was in 2006. A CM in the candy store made a point of telling us the Halloween parade was happening and even with the warning I had no idea ( PreDIS) how special it was.

So fireworks from the Poly and maybe the parade close to Halloween. Save the money. However with a group I imagine teh party would be a hoot. I was alone the time I went and while I had a good time and did most of the specil things I might go back if I knew I would be part of a group going. I think that might be the deciding factor for me.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #742
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I've never been there for MNSSHP but I'd like to see the parade, however I doubt that it's worth the money just for that.

I'm not a big fan of tootsie rolls or candy corn. Reese's peanut butter cups and Mounds are a different story.

I agree, that's a really good picture of you in the pumpkin-ears hat!
Thanks for the pumpkin compliment!

I think if you have never been to MNSSHP it is worth it to pay for the ticket at least once - however, thinking of your family of five, that is a lot of money if you have to get five tickets!

I know Reese's peanut butter cups and love them, too. They aren't regularly available here, but many food stores have corners with exotic products and they usually have stuff from the USA as well, very often those are on offer. I had no idea what Mounds were - a search came up with these: http://www.hersheys.com/almondjoy-mo...x?ICID=AMJ0002 Is that what you are talking about? I have never had them. They do look like they are similar to Bounty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Glad you had a good time at the Halloween party, I would love to go if only for that parade and to see all of the costumes, but DH is not a huge fan of Halloween so it would take some convincing to get him to go with me. I love those pumpkin Mickey ears! I Love tootsie rolls and candy corn but with the candy corn I can only eat so much of it.
As I said, it is definitely worth a visit if you have never been. I am not sure what your DH does not like about Halloween, but perhaps you can convince him with the argument that most attractions have very short lines during the party?

I often think that people like candy not only for the taste but also for the childhood memories connected with them.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #743
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Count me among those who say it's a great picture of you!

I've never seen the Halloween party either, so it's interesting to read about it. Seems like everyone raves about the Hallowishes fireworks show--I guess I'll have to try that sometime.

And why all the hate for candy corns? If you have an unbalanced table, they're great for holding up the leg.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #744
marvali
DIS Veteran

I just sent you an email about the card and pictures I sent you.

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #745
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think if you have never been to MNSSHP it is worth it to pay for the ticket at least once - however, thinking of your family of five, that is a lot of money if you have to get five tickets!
It's terrible to have to consider everything "times 5", but that's the reality and I signed up for it. Someday we'll do some of the tours, like the Segway tour, etc., but they'll have to wait until they're "times 2".

Quote:
I know Reese's peanut butter cups and love them, too. They aren't regularly available here, but many food stores have corners with exotic products and they usually have stuff from the USA as well, very often those are on offer. I had no idea what Mounds were - a search came up with these: http://www.hersheys.com/almondjoy-mo...x?ICID=AMJ0002 Is that what you are talking about? I have never had them. They do look like they are similar to Bounty?
Sometimes we'll run across a local candymaker that makes peanut butter eggs around Easter time, and they're actually even better than Reese's, but Reese's are pretty good. Yes, you found the right Mounds. You've gotta like coconut to like them, 'cause that's all they are....coconut and chocolate. Almond Joy are the same, but with an almond stuck in. I like them better without the almond.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #746
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Sometimes we'll run across a local candymaker that makes peanut butter eggs around Easter time, and they're actually even better than Reese's, but Reese's are pretty good. Yes, you found the right Mounds. You've gotta like coconut to like them, 'cause that's all they are....coconut and chocolate. Almond Joy are the same, but with an almond stuck in. I like them better without the almond.
Love both Almond Joy AND Mounds. The other difference is Almond Joy is Milk Chocolate and Mounds is Dark Chocolate.

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #747
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Love both Almond Joy AND Mounds. The other difference is Almond Joy is Milk Chocolate and Mounds is Dark Chocolate.
Sometimes you feel like a nut...

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
Old 12-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #748
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Sometimes you feel like a nut...
sometimes you don't....
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #749
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
sometimes you don't....
Almond Joy's got nuts........

Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #750
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
Almond Joy's got nuts........
Mounds don't...

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: