Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #721
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Yes, I agree that it'd be nice if there were a little bit more behind all of those facades. It seems like DHS should/could be a bigger park.

We had some great streetmosphere interaction last time, I hope they aren't meddling with that too much.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #722
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
It still has some of my favourite attractions, but as I said in the previous update about the MK, it also lacks the immersive environment. At lot of it is just facade. Very pretty facade, I love the look of the old Hollywood, but lets be honest, behind those beautiful fronts there just are shops selling the same things as Mousegears at Epcot or the Emporium in the MK.
I agree, and I think that's why HS doesn't quite grab me either. The theming just doesn't feel as immersive there. And I do wish the stuff in the shops was more varied as well, but that's a problem across WDW.

Quote:
However, even a fourth place at WDW makes it a pretty great park overall!!

Quote:
Of course we did get to ride on Star Tours II!! I was very impressed with this update. The queue looks wonderful again and there are a few fun things to watch while you wait! The new films have crystal clear quality and the 3D here is up to modern standards, not at all the disappointment I had at Philharmagic. The trick of this attraction is that you get a random flight combined out of several different elements. This is exciting because you get to experience something different everytime – well, unless you ride with us!
I guess we'll chalk that up to bad luck! I'm glad the ride is fun, though. I can't wait to try it out!

Quote:
And I am very ashamed to report that we actually did not make any effort to get on Voyage of the Little Mermaid...
Don't be ashamed. I don't think you missed much.

Quote:
But one thing which we definitely enjoyed: The ability to walk there.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #723
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleese View Post
Sending warm wishes to you and your family for this Christmas Season. Please say it isn't so that your thread seems to be coming to an end. What is next on the horizon of adventures for the wonderful Magdalene and Katharina we have grown to love? Lovely pictures of Christmas trees and celebrations I hope
Hi there and thanks for the greetings! There is still plenty to report from this trip, don't worry! I have already written a very detailed report about our day at Universal and there will plenty more things to write about!

I was wondering about doing another "bonus update" about life in Germany, but it seems that I covered Christmas quite well in the previous reports... Maybe I will venture out to another city and there Christmas market one of the next weekends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Yes, I agree that it'd be nice if there were a little bit more behind all of those facades. It seems like DHS should/could be a bigger park.

We had some great streetmosphere interaction last time, I hope they aren't meddling with that too much.
I am really sad that I seem to have lost my love for that park to a certain degree... For me DHS has become much more of a half day park now...

I am not really sure what was going on with streetmosphere... I hope that we just got them at odd shows.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #724
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I agree, and I think that's why HS doesn't quite grab me either. The theming just doesn't feel as immersive there. And I do wish the stuff in the shops was more varied as well, but that's a problem across WDW.
Yes, seeing the same merchandise everywhere gets boring at some point...

And I think we have very similar tastes in theme parks - well, besides the fact that you aren't so keen on Splash Mountain if I remember correctly?

Quote:
I guess we'll chalk that up to bad luck! I'm glad the ride is fun, though. I can't wait to try it out!
The ride is really great! I wasn't so sure about it since I had read quite a few reviews which weren't impressed, but I find it very enjoyable.

I just wonder what the probabilities for going to the same place over and over again are - I rather would prefer that very unlikely things happen to me when I buy a lottery ticket...

Quote:
Don't be ashamed. I don't think you missed much.
I am relieved to hear that!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #725
Flossbolna

Dear Readers!

I know that you are out there, I can see that this thread is viewed not by only three, four, five people. And I would love to hear from you! Don't be shy, leave a comment, this is much more fun for me when I get to talk to you! So stop lurking!!

And there is still plenty more to come: some "Special Features" - we will start with the first one right after this announcement, resorts, food and other stuff.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #726
Flossbolna

Special Feature #1: Water Parks

Special Feature #1:

The pre-trip-report had details about three special features that we planned for the trip – and the first one was: visiting both water parks! More about our plans can be found here.

I am really happy that we made it to both water parks! Since Katharina arrived at WDW with a cold, she did not feel up to water parks during the first days. But we managed to adjust our plans and still got to go.

I truly enjoyed both parks. We did not stay a full day at any of them, I think more like about 4 hours and that was nearly the perfect time frame. We had some time to do the slides we wanted to do, eat some lunch, take the lazy river, read our books, nap and swim a bit. We might have stayed a bit longer, but both days we had plans for the rest of the day. But even though I might have wanted to go on the one or the other slide once again, I was perfectly fine to move on to do something else.

I really can't say which water park I prefer, both have some elements which I truly enjoyed.

I like the slides in general at BB better, I loved the family raft ride, but also the others were interesting enough. However, Crush n' Gusher at TL is really great, too! That's a not to miss water slide for me!

I don't like the massive waves at TL, therefore we never made it into the big pool there. But we did enjoy to float around in BB's wave pool for some time.

We found that BB has less space where you can get chairs. We really had some trouble finding a spot there at first. Later we saw some very empty areas way towards the back of the park, but those did not look very nice either...

The lazy rivers were great fun, too! However, I seem to be lazier in the river than Katharina, she always kept floating away from me, while I seemed to get stuck and did move only at the pace of a snail... We quickly figured out that we could prevent floating away from each other if I kept my feet hooked under her tube and then we had a lot of fun floating around, giggling like teenage girls every time one of us got hit by one of the water features. Wonderful memories!

We also thought that the chair lift at BB was very funny! I was actually a bit worried how getting off would work since all my chair lift experiences are with skis under my feet and then you just glide away easily. But fortunately the lift is really slow, so getting out is not difficult at all. Actually the whole BB was very funny for us because it plays with that Alpine ski resort theme – and I have spent many winter vacations at places just like that in real life. They even have some real alpine music in between the beach music, with real German texts!!

We had lunch at both parks and both time the food was pretty tasty. But we did stick with the classic options: burgers at Blizzard Beach and a tuna sandwich at Typhoon Lagoon. Actually, the fries at BB were much better than the ones we had sometime later at Pecos Bill's at the MK.

All in all, I am really happy that we made it to the water parks. I really want to make sure that I get to go there again on my next trip!!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #727
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Checking in to find not one but two updates to read.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with DHS. I do love TSM, ToT and RnR. I loved the new Star Tours too but I am afraid to say, I had a similar trip where I ended up at the same place a few times.

My hate comes in when touring mostly. I think DHS has too many dead ends. Well really, Sunset Blvd. I feel like when I want to go down Sunset Blvd. I feel so far away from everything else and have to trek to go onto the next thing.

Ahhh the Waterparks. I can't spend the whole day there either. I like the slides and the theming but dragging the tubes up to the top of the hills takes some of the magic away for me.

Thansk for sharing.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #728
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I haven't visited Blizzard Beach yet, but enjoyed our day at Typhoon Lagoon. I agree that Crush 'n Gusher is a "do not miss" ride at that park. I thought the theming was top notch on that ride.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #729
marvali
DIS Veteran

I am so irate that your mail hasn't arrived yet! I can't do it before Friday but I plan to be at the Post Office then with all of my receipts and ask them what the heck is going on! It isn't the lost DVD with the pictures that bothers me as much as the Birthday Card with your birthday wishes for such a special occasion. I can replace the DVD, or as you suggested just post the pictures on Photobucket and give you access. Still, the whole thing drives me nuts since this Friday will be four weeks since I mailed it.

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #730
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
I was wondering about doing another "bonus update" about life in Germany, but it seems that I covered Christmas quite well in the previous reports... Maybe I will venture out to another city and there Christmas market one of the next weekends...

This would be very very very nice..... I would love to hear about Christmas again...... Just saying..

Glad you liked the water parks! I have to say I prefer TL over BB. Sounds like you had a lovely time.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #731
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Checking in to find not one but two updates to read.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with DHS. I do love TSM, ToT and RnR. I loved the new Star Tours too but I am afraid to say, I had a similar trip where I ended up at the same place a few times.

My hate comes in when touring mostly. I think DHS has too many dead ends. Well really, Sunset Blvd. I feel like when I want to go down Sunset Blvd. I feel so far away from everything else and have to trek to go onto the next thing.
Isn't it sad how many people feel like that: a park with a few really great attractions, but somehow it does not really work as a park. I very much understand your issue with the dead end. I often was annoyed about having to walk all the way back to ToT only to figure out that the wait is really long because they only have one elevator operating...

I think a lot of its issues are from how it was built. From what I have heard it was built very quickly as a response to Universal building in Orlando as well and they wanted to open MGM Studios before they opened Universal. And a huge part of the park was only accesible via the Studio Tour, you were never supposed to wander around the Streets of America as you are now. Now the park is burdened with a less than perfect concept and I think maybe it really needs a totally new master plan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Ahhh the Waterparks. I can't spend the whole day there either. I like the slides and the theming but dragging the tubes up to the top of the hills takes some of the magic away for me.

Thansk for sharing.
I thought oyu would like the water park update!! I wish we had more opportunities to spend time there... This is one of the things that make me want to rent a car next time I am there, just throw the bathing suit in the trunk and then I can head directly from a park to a water park.

Dragging the tubes up the hills is not fun, that's why Katharina and I did opt out of the family raft ride at TL, much nicer at BB, where they have a lift for the huge rafts!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #732
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I haven't visited Blizzard Beach yet, but enjoyed our day at Typhoon Lagoon. I agree that Crush 'n Gusher is a "do not miss" ride at that park. I thought the theming was top notch on that ride.
Being back home in cold, grey Germany in November I could daydream about the water parks all day right now!! They are both fantastic. And if you enjoyed Crush 'n Gusher, I am sure you would love BB, there are lots of great slides there and the theming is more whimsical. Maybe something for the next trip? Which you must be planning right now - so where is your pre-trip-report?? You know that we are all waiting impatiently for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
I am so irate that your mail hasn't arrived yet! I can't do it before Friday but I plan to be at the Post Office then with all of my receipts and ask them what the heck is going on! It isn't the lost DVD with the pictures that bothers me as much as the Birthday Card with your birthday wishes for such a special occasion. I can replace the DVD, or as you suggested just post the pictures on Photobucket and give you access. Still, the whole thing drives me nuts since this Friday will be four weeks since I mailed it.
Marv, I am so sorry that you being so nice to send me birthday card and the photos results in you being in a bad mood!! I can't imagine why it takes so long, I really am afraid that it got lost somewhere. Every evening I hope to find it in my mailbox and yesterday I was really excited because there was a larger envelope which looked like it might be it, but it was something else again...

And even if it never arrives, I really appreciate that you sent it!!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #733
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
This would be very very very nice..... I would love to hear about Christmas again...... Just saying..
Hmmm, I just had an idea what I might post about... But you will have to wait until next Tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post

Glad you liked the water parks! I have to say I prefer TL over BB. Sounds like you had a lovely time.
It was truly wonderful! And you are in good company: Katharina said that she prefers TL as well, while I really can't make up my mind which I like better...

Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #734
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

I'm the opposite of Glenn--I've been to Blizzard Beach, but never TL. Hope to get there on the next trip.

That being said, it sounds like you really enjoyed your time there. We were looking at other water parks (non-Disney) when we were doing trip research and were struck by how much Disney theming makes a difference! At the "other" parks it was just concrete, stairs, scaffolds, and waterslides.

So I guess Crush 'n Gusher is the can't-miss attraction at TL. Did you try the shark swim?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #735
Flossbolna

Quote:
I'm the opposite of Glenn--I've been to Blizzard Beach, but never TL. Hope to get there on the next trip.

That being said, it sounds like you really enjoyed your time there. We were looking at other water parks (non-Disney) when we were doing trip research and were struck by how much Disney theming makes a difference! At the "other" parks it was just concrete, stairs, scaffolds, and waterslides.

So I guess Crush 'n Gusher is the can't-miss attraction at TL. Did you try the shark swim?
As I said before, I love both water parks. So if you have never been to TL, I can definitely recommend a visit! Do you go on water slides?? I mean, they include a drop into water...

I have looked at pictures of Aquatica in Orlando (it belongs to Seaworld) and it looks like a very nice water park as well. Not as themed, but definitely not in the concrete, stairs and scaffolds category! I am very tempted to try it out when I am in Orlando the next time.

And the first ever water park Katharina and I went to was in 1992 in New Braunfels, Texas. I think Disney might have copied a bit of their theme when building BB since this is supposed to look like an Alpine village. I remember it looking a bit strange and definitely not as pretty as Disney, but it was not too bad either...

We did not do the shark swim. Katharina wasn't interested - she has never tried to snorkel and felt like it isn't something that she could easily just do since she has huge troubles to exhale when her head is under water. I have done it on a previous visit and wasn't impressed. I am pretty certain that I would love snorkelling, but there it was just swim through, don't stop and neither could you deviate from the set route. I did not feel like I got to really see anything.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: