Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #166
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Popping in to say that I looked at your pictures a day or two ago, but didn't really have time to post. DLP looks beautiful.

Your ADR list looks great! Lots of really good places on there.

I just noticed Liesa's recommendation of a '40's band at the Hollywood Brown Derby. I think that's a fantastic idea! I wonder if it may be too costly? If they already fill it, they may not feel the need for the extra expense. But that would be so cool.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #167
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

What a wonderful array of resturants. Some I have eaten at and some are still on the list.

Make sure you save room for Food and Wine!!!!
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #168
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post

I just hope that I won't be so sad that I am not staying at AKL. I know that I will miss staying there even though I am excited about the Boardwalk. They have changed the menu quite a bit recently and I read a review from someone who was from South Africa (or had lived there for quite some time) and he was full of praise that they have introduced some very authentic dishes. So I am looking forward to new experiences!

I am all for having authentic dishes at the restaurants who are aiming for that sort of thing. I know everyone doesn't like "authentic" foods, but if they are going to tout themselves as "African" then they really ought to have at least a few dishes that are truly African- spices and all!

I dont' think you'll miss it once you get settled there and begin to discover all the neat things Boardwalk has. It should have enough to entertain you and keep you from yearning for AKL.

Quote:
Visiting the Poly will be such a treat! And we will be there twice for a meal since we have 'Ohana as well!
I think I'm more excited that you've built in watching fireworks from there beach into your plan!

Quote:
I think that is the great thing about dining at the resort restaurants, you get a break and see something new and can explore! I was really surprised by the menu of Olivia's. It seems to have a much greater variety than the normal non-signature resort restaurants. And some of those dishes are very ethnic for us!

For me, if I hadn't have built those meals into our schedule, we'd have never left the parks- so in a way, it was forcing me to break away and see them. I am SO glad I did, and will always do that from now on!

Quote:
That would be truly wonderful!! I think this is what Atlantic Dance Hall was meant to be at the Boardwalk, but it seems to never be open.
I think you're right. I don't know about in Germany, but here in the US, Ballroom dancing has seen a big upswing in popularity again. Bek's class was FULL of young guys and gals learning to swing, foxtrot, waltz, etc.... and they all had a great time. I think a band playing those tunes would really add a cool addition- they could play that awesome song from the end of Nemo- Somewhere, Beyond the Sea.

Quote:
And for our purposes it works great as a lunch and we wanted to have some unscheduled evenings.

I don't blame you for that at all- dinners do tend to take up the whole timeslot from 7 on.

Quote:
I will have such a hard time not to get the steak again at FF - I guess I won't be able to order anything else despite best intentions. I was even tempted to have two dinners there, but could not really onvince Katharina of that plan.
Then steak you shall have! There's NOTHING wrong with getting something you've looked forward to all year long, is there??

Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #169
nodnol
Mouseketeer

Reading Magdalene's update I realized that having picked the restaurants some weeks ago, I'm still very happy with our choice

I espeicially look forward to re-visit some of my favourits from last year, but also to give some a second chance to enchant me, like California Grill. I liked the food, I liked the restaurant, but somehow it wasn't really the experience I wanted it to be. I think this was because I was in a cultural shock of being at WDW for the first time. This year will be different, but I still think it is good that we picked a kind of comforting restaurant at a very well known location for us for the first evening (or do you count it as second evening?).

6 months

Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #170
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
6 months
Yes!! 6 months!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #171
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney
Oh and don't forget a trip to Wisconsin.

Quote:
I have heard that they have good cheese there
We do have some yummy cheese here....

Quote:
- and some pretty friendly people.
Awww... shucks

Nice update and I love all your restuarant choices! Poor Katharina with her food intolerances! I hope it all works out well for her. Remember if you don't like something send it back. You're paying a lot of money for those meals and you should get something you like.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #172
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Yes!! 6 months!!

Great restaurant choices! Sometimes you have to give a restaurant a second try.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #173
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Looks like you'll be eating very well! I don't have much experience at most of the places you listed--I tend toward the "comfort food" places rather than fine dining experiences. But I do know that we loved both the Kona Cafe and 50's PT for dinner. Of the "want to try" places you listed, the only one I've tried is Liberty Tree Tavern, which I liked quite a bit as well.

Or, you can cancel all of your ADR's and just gorge yourself on Dole Whips all week. I don't see anything wrong with this choice, either.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #174
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Succesful ADR Day!!

I just finished making all our ADRs with the online system!! I am very happy!! Of course there was some drama involved at first. The system did not want to recognize my DVC reservation number, I had first to retrieve this reservation. But then, due to the fact that not all nights were available when we first booked it and we had to go through a waitlist, my reservation was split into three parts. And for whatever reason, the WDW reservation system thought that the leading segment was the one starting on October 14, so I would not have access to the 180+10 today... I was resigned to just call member services tonight - to be honest, I am sure we would have gotten everything then as well. But I did some more clicking, chose "update my reservation" and then tried again with the dining system and - voilá - there it was!! I could make my reservations!!

We got nearly everything for the times we wanted (a few are 5 or ten minutes off), only 'Ohana is for later than what I wanted. I think we will still be able to get out to the beach by 9:30 pm for the party fireworks. Otherwise we will just watch them from inside. Since it is an all you can eat, there is always the tip I learned about buffets: ask your server early on for the check, so you are free to leave when you feel like it and don't have to sit around waiting for it.

Afterwards I wanted to see the list of my reservations and had another brief annoyance... To retrieve the dining reservations, I needed my phone number. Of course I had entered my German mobile number including the country code for Germany starting with +49... But then the system does not recognize the + sign and the number was too long. Took me a bit until I realized that in the confirmations it actually listed the the part they took from my phone number, it was the last 10 digits and that's why it looked so different that I did not immediately recognize the phone number. What a strange system!

But now the ADRs are made!! I am very excited. I still need to add the Celebration to them (my birthday ) and then we will need to go through the process of contacting Disney Special Diets for Katharina's food intolerances. More on that topic in a future update!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Last edited by Flossbolna; 07-11-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #175
jenbear123
Disney Fanatic

Woohoo! So happy for you that you got most of the ADRs you wanted. I agree the reservation system can have some kinks in it sometimes, especially for linking reservations and such.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #176
notaprincess
Princess who?

Hi Flossbolna,

your PTR makes me wanna go tomorow

nice to see more German Disney fans...

I'm turning 40 next year, which is a year to late for the 40th anniversary celebration
But got the idea of doing my birthday, together with a cruise Disney-style as well.

I did my 30th in WDW as well and my parents came along too!

Viel Spass beim planen...
und warten.
April 2006- WDW/ UO -offsite
Oct 2010- AKL (thank you Claire L) and RPR for WWHP

Nov 2012 the big 4-0 @the Poly and HRH

Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #177
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Congrats on the successful ADRs!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 40/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #178
marvali
DIS Veteran

Nice job on the ADRs!!! There is a mixture of ones I have done before, and those I haven't. We ate at Olivia's three times on our previous trip when we stayed at OKW and enjoyed it very much every time. We did dinner twice and breakfast once.

There is a link to my OKW trip report in my siggie, but you might struggle to get through it since I wasn't so well versed in adding Chapter links, (it is only about 4 pages long though, so......) I did it pretty much live while we were there and I talked about our meals, but no formal dining reviews or anything. But I'm pretty sure I told what we had and how everyone liked it, so maybe it will help a little.

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report

Last edited by marvali; 04-15-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #179
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Congrats on successful ADR scheduling! You've picked some great meal, many I have never tried so I'm really looking forward to your reviews. I hope they all do great with the allergy issues.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #180
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Great news on your ADR's! It's ridiculous how excited I get over my ADR day, like it's Christmas morning or something!

Glad you were able to get everything you wanted and within the time frame you were looking for. What a special treat...going to Disney over your birthday AND it's Disney's 40th anniversay.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: