Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #151
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Oh, thanks for the info! Will check it out!

Ok, I had to look it up what a hi efficiency washer is: It is a normal German washing machine!!! I always hated those things that I encountered in my English university dorm and in hotels in the US!! This is the type of washing machine I grew up with and am comfortable with. So this is very good news to me!! But I understand that it might cause a problem if it takes hours to wash things... Mine here at home (a Siemens model, but it does not look like Space Ship Earth. ) has several programms, but the shortest normal one takes about 50 minutes, I have a 15 minutes programm, but it does not really do something for me... Now I am thinking that I should have asked Brook about a picture of the washer...
I was used to our old "tub fills with water, swishes around, and drains in about 15-20 minutes". So when we watched this washer squirt just a little bit of water in at a time, and the timer said 45 minutes, then it would add more minutes, well, we just weren't used to it. In fact we thought something was broken about it. . Now we have one here at home.

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #152
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Fun update, love the pictures. I'd love to visit there someday but know I'd have a really hard time getting Jeff to agree to go to Disney, while in Paris. It'll be hard enough to get him to Paris as it is. Pretty hotel!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #153
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Wow it's so pretty! I would love to see this in person someday, but I would have to win the lottery.

Thanks so much for sharing and explaining it too.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 04-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #154
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

DLP Pictures!! I've been waitng for these!

Like the others, I think the concept of entering under the hotel is pretty cool. I've never been as big of a fan of the overly formal, stuffy hotels, but this feels like it fits in this location. Thanks for posting, and I can't wait for more!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #155
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleese View Post
Loved your pictures and can't wait to see more. I really liked the Mickey clock it's adorable and the Disneyland hotel seems very pink but very regal and fine. Very dreamy Have you ever had tea there?
It is very pretty, isn't it... They don't do a high tea there (at least I never heard about it), but they used to have the most beautiful open lounge/bar area with windows looking out over Main Street. We actually had plans to stop there for a break. But now this area has been swallowed by one of the restaurants - which are incredibly pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
Oh and don't forget a trip to Wisconsin.
I have heard that they have good cheese there - and some pretty friendly people.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 04-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #156
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
I was used to our old "tub fills with water, swishes around, and drains in about 15-20 minutes". So when we watched this washer squirt just a little bit of water in at a time, and the timer said 45 minutes, then it would add more minutes, well, we just weren't used to it. In fact we thought something was broken about it. . Now we have one here at home.
I can understand how confusing it must be! I was really afraid of using the tub style washer when I first saw them because I thought the thing in the middle would for sure damage all my clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Fun update, love the pictures. I'd love to visit there someday but know I'd have a really hard time getting Jeff to agree to go to Disney, while in Paris. It'll be hard enough to get him to Paris as it is. Pretty hotel!
I do understand, I mentioned it in another reply already. Paris is a whole destination in itself and I think if you don't come to Europe on a regular basis, it makes more sense to see the "truly" European stuff and not cut your time for Paris short to spend it at DLP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamassey1 View Post
Wow it's so pretty! I would love to see this in person someday, but I would have to win the lottery.

Thanks so much for sharing and explaining it too.
Thanks! Winning in the lottery would be great for many things, wouldn't it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
DLP Pictures!! I've been waitng for these!

Like the others, I think the concept of entering under the hotel is pretty cool. I've never been as big of a fan of the overly formal, stuffy hotels, but this feels like it fits in this location. Thanks for posting, and I can't wait for more!
I think the hotl works very well as an overture to Main Street (which you will see next!) because it is all the same Victorian architecture.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 04-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #157
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

It really does look so pretty- I will get there one day, but I have no idea when! Thanks for doing such a great job explaining the layout to us!!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #158
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Hi Magdalene !!Just poppin' in to say Hello!! The weather here today is Springlike !!Oh wait a minute it is SpringJudy and Kyle are out cleaning up the back yard which is a HUGE Task after winter and 2 DOGS!! I have to work today (does that sound familiar)
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 04-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #159
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
It really does look so pretty- I will get there one day, but I have no idea when! Thanks for doing such a great job explaining the layout to us!!
I am glad you enjoyed it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Hi Magdalene !!Just poppin' in to say Hello!! The weather here today is Springlike !!Oh wait a minute it is SpringJudy and Kyle are out cleaning up the back yard which is a HUGE Task after winter and 2 DOGS!! I have to work today (does that sound familiar)
Hi Rosie!! Weather here has been spectacular, we even had summer temperatures. And days and days of sunshine. I am glad that you got some of that as well.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #160
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Where to Eat?

We are going to arrive at Walt Disney World in 6 months and two days. Anyone familiar with the planning of trips to WDW will know immediately which milestone we will reach very soon: ADR day!! We will be able to make dining reservations 180 days in advance for the first 10 days of our trip on April 14th!

So I guess it is time to talk about restaurants. Katharina and I started out with a list of restaurants where we would like to eat at. We had about 25 restaurants on that first list. That would mean nearly 2.5 table service meals par day. We did not want to spend the money and time on so much dining. So when I was in Berlin in March we sat down and started to eliminate restaurants from that list.

There are two motivations behind which restaurants we chose (besides appeal of food and atmosphere): We want to have experiences which are truly American or at least special to WDW – something which we can't get at home and there isn't much Berlin does not offer! And also, we looked at the menus to find out how good this place would be for Katharina since she has multiple food intolerances (mainly cow's milk, tomato and raw onion). We had mixed experiences with how the restaurants handled that on the last trip, some were wonderful, other were rather uninspired, so we tried to pick places that had dishes on the menu which Katharina most likely would be able to and like to eat.

We had quite a few “must dos” which did not give us that much room to add other places. These were:

“Must eat at restaurants” for both of us:
Flying Fish
California Grill
Kona Cafe

“Must eat at restaurants” for Katharina:
50's Prime Time Cafe
Teppan Edo
Jiko
'Ohana

"Must eat at restaurants” for Magdalene:
Hollywood Brown Derby

On the “would like to eat at restaurants” list were a lot more, but since we already had so many must dos between the two of us, we really tried to limit them and did rank them in the following order:
Olivia's
Cape May Café (Breakfast)
Artist Point
La Hacienda
Liberty Tree Tavern (Lunch)
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Only the first three found a place on our ADR schedule.

We used the park hours and predicted crowd levels from touringplans.com to try to come up with a park schedule around which we then built our dining plans. And as an end result, these are the ADRs which I will try to get during my lunch break at 12 pm my time (i.e. 6 am EST) on the online system:

Wednesday, October 12:

Jiko Dinner
This was the most important must eat at place for Katharina. They treated her so wonderful on our last trip, they even had a special menu for dairy free meals. I love Jiko as well and am happy to eat there. Jiko was also the last dinner on our previous trip, so it will be nice to start at the place where we ended our trip last time. We want an early dinner for two reasons: Due to jet lag we still will be a bit on European time which is 6 hours ahead. And also do we have some plans for the evening after dinner.

Thursday, October 13:

Kona Cafe Breakfast
I think this is a great restaurant and would love to have either lunch or dinner there as well, but not enough time. The plan for the first morning of our trip is do MK morning EMH and then take the boat to the Poly for a late breakfast. If we miss breakfast, we might just do an early lunch. It will also give Katharina the opportunity to visit the Poly for the first time.

California Grill Dinner
After having done the fireworks dinner at CG last trip, we wanted to do the sunset dinner this time. Sunset is at 7pm, so we should experience it towards the end of our meal and enjoy the bright dining room during daylight. I rather prefer CG when it is light outside. CG opens at 5:30 pm, but the bar opens already at 5pm. So we might check in early and enjoy a drink before dinner.

Friday, October 14:

50's Prime Time Cafe Lunch
This will be new for Katharina. I did not have good luck with servers here in the past, I felt that being a foreigner they did not play it up at all. But I am looking forward to a peanut butter and jelly milk shake very much!!

Saturday, October 15:

Artist Point Dinner
Even though we felt that the restaurant had a bit of a strange flair on our last trip because it was so empty, we still really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere which reflects a truly American experience – so much that some readers of the TR commented that it does not appeal to them because it is so familiar. So just the right place for us!

Sunday, October 16:

no ADRs!

Monday, October 17:

Olivia's Cafe
We are planning to either have breakfast or lunch there on this day. I will most likely not make an ADR yet, I am pretty sure that this is a place which is in no danger of becoming unavailable very soon. This would be a new restaurant for both of us. I know that it is rather off the beaten path, but the Key West theme is something American. And the menu sounds really interesting, especially for lunch! It would also let me have a look at another DVC resort which I have never visited so far.

Teppan Edo Dinner
I have eaten there once before, Katharina hasn't. It is one of the few places which offer something which we can get at home as well, but I think it is a wonderful experience at WDW. And it is also a place which is really good for Katharina's food issues: everything is dairy free!

Tuesday, October 18:

no ADRS!

Wednesday, October 19

Hollywood Brown Derby
Another place that is new for both of us. When we debated about lunch or dinner, Katharina thought that lunch would fit the theme better: Wasn't that the era of large corporate lunches? I am really excited because it is a place that I wanted to try for quite some time and never was able to fit it in.

Thursday, October 20

'Ohana Dinner
I was there on my birthday in 2004 and never managed to return after that. It is also new for Katharina. This is another place which should be good for her dietary restrictions: she does not have any problems with meat. But I think she will need to learn how to devein those shrimps before we visit. This will be a tough ADR to get. I checked for the dates which just opened for booking and times were really limited. We want to go out to the Poly beach after dinner to watch the Halloween Party fireworks over the MK afterwards, so our timing is quite important (factoring in quite some wait time as well, which seems to be usual at 'Ohana).

Friday, October 21

Flying Fish Dinner
Ok, I won't be able to make this ADR on April 14 since this is outside our 180+10 days window. We loved the Flying Fish last time, it was our overall favourite meal. So it would have been a definite regardless of where we were staying. But since we are staying at the Boardwalk it became even more important. This will be the last dinner of our trip. I love to end the trip with a dinner at the resort I am staying at and this is just perfect. I hope we will be able to take our time enjoying the meal and then possibly end with a drink in the Bellevue Lounge.

Saturday, October 22 (departure day)

Cape May Cafe Breakfast
Another tradition for me is a breakfast ADR on the day I leave WDW. We thought about Crystal Palace, but then really liked the look of Cape May and that we can walk to the Beach Club from the Boardwalk is an added bonus! Katharina also fell in love with the characters wearing bathing suits which she saw on Brook's TR! Brook really was the inspiration for this decision for both of us, it will be a new experience for us.

So, this is 11 ADRs for 11 nights, 5 restaurants are signature restaurants, 4 restaurants (all of them signatures) are repeat visits from our last trip, so 7 restaurants will be new for Katharina, while for me only 3 will be new restaurants. We will have 6 dinners, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and Olivia's which is still undecided. I think this is a pretty good mix!

Last edited by Flossbolna; 07-11-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #161
mom3sonstt
DIS Veteran

Your ADRs look interesting. I've only eaten at 3 of them....well 4, but we ate at cape may for supper, not breakfast so I didn't count it. We love prime time and have gone there several times, kona we tried for breakfast for the first time last trip, we used to eat at olivia's at least once a trip when we stayed at old key west all the time.

You have eaten at jiko before....does it have like a bar area that you can just get an appetizer or something?

Organ Donors Save Lives www.lifegoeson.com RIP Bret 10-10-62 to 11-26-08
Thank you to the family who cared enough to share! (Kidney recipient 2/22/11)
Old 04-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #162
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

WHOA! Mega-update is right!! I won't comment on every one of them, but here are the ones that I do have something that struck me on:

Jiko- is a lovely,lovely place! I love how you will start here, as it seems to say, "let's pick up where we left off last time." Cool how that worked out!

Kona- I"ve heard great things about the lunch and dinner menus too, so if you don't get a breakfast timeslot, you should be good at a later time as well for something yummy! I am excited for Katharina getting to see the Poly for the first time!!

I had never even considered Olivia's!! I intentionally also made a bunch of ADR's specifically for the purpose of seeing new resorts that I otherwise would never get to. There are still MANY on that list!

HBD- Yes, I think there were many business lunches going on in that era, but more often those kinds of establishments, I think, were used as afterhours enterainment kinds of places. The rich and famous would go there to dine and dance, and there would often be a band playing for that. I still think that would be an AMAZING addition to HBD (a band playing 40s big band style) later at night where you could go for an after park hours drink.

FF- that is definitely one that I consistently see super reviews on. At the time of planning our trip, it wasn't on my list, but certainly is now!! A MUST do for next time, and i can't wait to see your review on this one!

I think you have a super- well thought out mix of places- both repeats and new, dinners, lunches and breakfasts. Great line up, Ladies!

Old 04-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #163
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3sonstt View Post
Your ADRs look interesting. I've only eaten at 3 of them....well 4, but we ate at cape may for supper, not breakfast so I didn't count it. We love prime time and have gone there several times, kona we tried for breakfast for the first time last trip, we used to eat at olivia's at least once a trip when we stayed at old key west all the time.

You have eaten at jiko before....does it have like a bar area that you can just get an appetizer or something?
Olivia's looks really nice! I am excited about this. It was actually Katharina's suggestion and after I had looked at the menu, I was all for it. It reminds me of quite a few local casual restaurants that I have been at when travelling to other parts of the US. I love to ask at the hotel reception for advise on where to eat and try to avoid chains. It does not have to be something special, I rather would go to a place where the locals love to go for a meal with the family.

Jiko has a bar where you can order food and there is also a counter at the open kitchen area where they prepare the appetizers where you can sit. But I really think it is ok to go for a solo meal at any of the WDW restaurants. And if you are just ordering an appetizer that is fine as well. I know that other DISers do that! In this picture http://allears.net/acc/akl_jiko8.jpg you can see the counter where you can sit and watch the chefs while you eat. I think that would be a fun experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
WHOA! Mega-update is right!! I won't comment on every one of them, but here are the ones that I do have something that struck me on:

Jiko- is a lovely,lovely place! I love how you will start here, as it seems to say, "let's pick up where we left off last time." Cool how that worked out!
I just hope that I won't be so sad that I am not staying at AKL. I know that I will miss staying there even though I am excited about the Boardwalk. They have changed the menu quite a bit recently and I read a review from someone who was from South Africa (or had lived there for quite some time) and he was full of praise that they have introduced some very authentic dishes. So I am looking forward to new experiences!

Quote:
Kona- I"ve heard great things about the lunch and dinner menus too, so if you don't get a breakfast timeslot, you should be good at a later time as well for something yummy! I am excited for Katharina getting to see the Poly for the first time!!
Visiting the Poly will be such a treat! And we will be there twice for a meal since we have 'Ohana as well!

Quote:
I had never even considered Olivia's!! I intentionally also made a bunch of ADR's specifically for the purpose of seeing new resorts that I otherwise would never get to. There are still MANY on that list!
I think that is the great thing about dining at the resort restaurants, you get a break and see something new and can explore! I was really surprised by the menu of Olivia's. It seems to have a much greater variety than the normal non-signature resort restaurants. And some of those dishes are very ethnic for us!

Quote:
HBD- Yes, I think there were many business lunches going on in that era, but more often those kinds of establishments, I think, were used as afterhours enterainment kinds of places. The rich and famous would go there to dine and dance, and there would often be a band playing for that. I still think that would be an AMAZING addition to HBD (a band playing 40s big band style) later at night where you could go for an after park hours drink.
That would be truly wonderful!! I think this is what Atlantic Dance Hall was meant to be at the Boardwalk, but it seems to never be open.

And for our purposes it works great as a lunch and we wanted to have some unscheduled evenings.

Quote:
FF- that is definitely one that I consistently see super reviews on. At the time of planning our trip, it wasn't on my list, but certainly is now!! A MUST do for next time, and i can't wait to see your review on this one!
I will have such a hard time not to get the steak again at FF - I guess I won't be able to order anything else despite best intentions. I was even tempted to have two dinners there, but could not really onvince Katharina of that plan.

Quote:
I think you have a super- well thought out mix of places- both repeats and new, dinners, lunches and breakfasts. Great line up, Ladies!
Thanks! We are really excited about it as well!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #164
jenbear123
Disney Fanatic

I finally found time to catch up on updates AND reply and what perfect timing too. I love talking about ADRs and Disney restaurants.

You have definitely put in lots of work to eliminate restaurants you don't really need to go to. It's so hard to choose with so many amazing choices on offer! One thing I noticed is no interest in Le Cellier. It's not that because I'm Canadian I'm suggesting this place but I'm just curious. Have you eaten there before? Since they have just switched over to Signature dining, I was wondering your thoughts on it.

I hope you like Kona Cafe for breakfast. If you're in the mood for something sweet, try the Tonga Toast
Old 04-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #165
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbear123 View Post
I finally found time to catch up on updates AND reply and what perfect timing too. I love talking about ADRs and Disney restaurants.

You have definitely put in lots of work to eliminate restaurants you don't really need to go to. It's so hard to choose with so many amazing choices on offer! One thing I noticed is no interest in Le Cellier. It's not that because I'm Canadian I'm suggesting this place but I'm just curious. Have you eaten there before? Since they have just switched over to Signature dining, I was wondering your thoughts on it.

I hope you like Kona Cafe for breakfast. If you're in the mood for something sweet, try the Tonga Toast
We had Le Cellier on that list and we did not eliminate it because it is Canadian!!

If Bubba would have gotten the job, we would have actually kept it on the list. I have eaten at Le Cellier twice and have mixed feelings about it. The first time I had the famous steak with the risotto. It was good. But while the food seemed to be more fine dining, the place was crowded, loud and dark. I know that this can be said for many restaurants at WDW. But while outside was the loveliest sunshine, I was sitting in a basement. The second time I had the burger and this had been the best burger I ever had until very recently (you will get to see a picture of it soon in one of the DLP updates). For me that burger fitted the theme of the restaurant much better. And on that second visit I had a wonderful server - I think I mentioned her before, she was very excited that we were from Germany because she was from Kitchener and told us about the Octoberfest there, which is the reason for the pretzel bread being served there.

I had a look at the new signature menu and it just does not appeal to me very much. I think we will get to eat a few steaks at the restaurants we have picked already, so we don't need a steakhouse (as you see, Yachtsman did not make it either for a similar reason). I think it was also an issue of lots of dishes obviously not being dairy free, so not so good for Katharina. So we would have preferred lunch. But we also tried to keep our Epcot lunches free from ADRs because we rather wanted to hit the Food & Wine festival booths during lunch than for dinner to avoid crowds.

And then in the end we thought that while it was a maybe for us, so many other people are wildly excited about eating there, so why take their chance for an ADR from them.

I had breakfast at Kona before, I think we even went twice in 2009. I am in love with the Macadamia Nut pancakes. And I am sure Katharina will love the breakfast potatos they serve - most likely the only thing she can eat! Oh, yes and the meat and the eggs, so not too bad actually.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: