Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #631
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I would look at the food sticky at the top of the board...However...In the themeparks we Love Mythos at IOA,not really a fan of anything at the studios( we ate at lombards landing ..it was ok , nothing fabulous).At the resorts we like the Kitchen or The Palm over at Hard rock and Mama Dellas over at Portofino Bay.Haven't eaten at Royal Pacific..Most venues take ressies and you can book them at Opentable.com anywhere from 7-90 days depending on the restuarant.Also of note with Mythos.Unless the park is open late, Mythos usually has its latest meal at 3pm ish
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #632
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i vote for Finnegans at the studios!
ressie can be made in advance for this place.

you said you are doing both parks in one day for a group of 6 and ending it with a birthday dinner.

why don't you stay in the parks until they close and then do dinner at City Walk?

that way you will have time to hit the highlights in both parks.

the menu/food sticky has lots of suggestions from other posters on where they felt was the best place for them.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #633
dmrchr71
Earning My Ears

I don't know how to start a new thread lol I have a few questions though I am currently planning a trip to universal for 2014 for 14 days been saving for a while lol

1. Are there other things to do other than sea world discovery cove and wdw we have about three days unscheduled

2. Are there fridges in the rooms for the on site hotels to save some money for lunch meats and etc.

3. I hear a lot about the refillable cups and people saying how much they cost how much are they?

4. Any cost effective meal ideas I would like to stay around the 100.00 range per day for three of us is that unrealistic ?
dmrchr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #634
jodywgirl
DIS Veteran

What are good places at the city walk
All Star Movies July 2005 Disney Cruise Line Aug 2005 Pop Century May 2007 Pop Century Dec 2008 Bay Lake Tower Sep 2009 Old Key West Dec 2009 GC Villas June 10 AKL Aug 2010 Boardwalk Villas & Disney Cruise March 11Girls Trip All Star Music May 12 May 2013 Family Vacation SSR Girls Trip NOV 2013 BLT / AKL Kidani
jodywgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #635
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to merge this thread with the food sticky.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #636
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Just back yesterday !! Starting this past Monday there are changes to AAA discounts !! Only get them on $50 + purchases . We still used the card for dining with 5 of us the $50 limit was usually reached !!But the staff were still a little confused as to how and how much you got in discount but all were sure of the $50 minimum!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #637
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrchr71 View Post
I don't know how to start a new thread lol I have a few questions though I am currently planning a trip to universal for 2014 for 14 days been saving for a while lol

1. Are there other things to do other than sea world discovery cove and wdw we have about three days unscheduled

2. Are there fridges in the rooms for the on site hotels to save some money for lunch meats and etc.

3. I hear a lot about the refillable cups and people saying how much they cost how much are they?

4. Any cost effective meal ideas I would like to stay around the 100.00 range per day for three of us is that unrealistic ?
Fridges are available for a fee unless you need them for medicine or babies. Call star services to get one. You can check out the menus on the first page for cost effective meals and refillable cups info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodywgirl View Post
What are good places at the city walk
Check the first page.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #638
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrchr71 View Post

1. check the city's website for other tourist things you can do while on your vacation.

2. a mini dorm style fridge will be in all rooms. it stores the candies, drinks, etc that you can buy, charge on your hotel bill.
it is not usable for the guest's items you mentioned.
if you want to store perishables, buy a styrofoam cooler from publx/walgreens, etc and fill it with ice.
keep the ice chest in the bathroom tub in case it leaks.

3. check the website for current prices on the beverage cup deal.

4. you could get buy for $100 a day if you budget for counter foods.
it might be tight though.
you could also pack snacks, breakfast pastries, to cut back on park snacks.

since you are planning to go a year from now, no idea if prices for hotel, food will increase.
you can get an idea of prices for this year on the food/menu sticky.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #639
goodferry
DIS Veteran

Last time we visited (last February) we had breakfast at Three Broomsticks, is this still an option? The website says open for lunch and dinner.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #640
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodferry View Post
Last time we visited (last February) we had breakfast at Three Broomsticks, is this still an option? The website says open for lunch and dinner.
Yes it is open for breakfast too. It used to be that it was only open for people who had packages or were staying onsite, but lately everyone has been welcome.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #641
No user names left
Earning My Ears

How do we get healthy children menu options please?

Hello, we are leaving on Saturday for 3 weeks, and have a 2 week Universal unlimited ticket. Our party is 3 adults (including 1 teen) and 3 children, so we got the $15 'Kids Eat Free' cards, really because of the duration we'll be there. They will have paid for themselves on the 3rd sitting. We had planned to go to NBA City and NASCAR anyway (before we discovered these cards yesterday) bit neither child's menu is on-line. I called both restaurants and they listed the usual for the kid's menu;
- burger/chicken tender and fries
- pizza
- mac and cheese

Neither restaurant has a healthy option. Can anyone advise? Of the above menu choices, the children eat burgers and fries and none of the others. Even if they did, we wouldn't let them eat unhealthy food more than twice a week. They like good food. AND the occasional bad offering!! I kinda feel like a 2nd rate customer with the 'Kids Eat Free Card'. We will be eating at places that don't have this deal. Will all restaurants allow us to order something (of the restaurant's choice) that is healthy (per se)? Like pasta, baked potato, veg, grilled (not fried) chicken. Thank you!
No user names left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #642
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to merge your thread with the current food sticky.

Well...remember you're going to a theme park where food is mass produced for the most part. There are healthy choices on most park restaurant menus...check the beginning of this thread for menu pictures. They have grilled chicken, salads, fruit cups, etc. It may not be glamorous but they are available.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #643
No user names left
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
I'm going to merge your thread with the current food sticky.

Well...remember you're going to a theme park where food is mass produced for the most part. There are healthy choices on most park restaurant menus...check the beginning of this thread for menu pictures. They have grilled chicken, salads, fruit cups, etc. It may not be glamorous but they are available.
Thanks Metro West. We are also redheads. And very glamorous!!

My question is specifically about the bigger table-service restaurants like NBA, NASCAR, Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood etc. Will they let us substitute unhealthy options on kids menus for any healthy option of their choice?? i.e. where there is no healthy choice that you have listed on the kids menu. Surely that can't expect to feed kids rubbish day in day out, so how receptive are they when asked? We don't want to have to avoid eating-out.
No user names left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #644
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by No user names left View Post
Hello, we are leaving on Saturday for 3 weeks, and have a 2 week Universal unlimited ticket. Our party is 3 adults (including 1 teen) and 3 children, so we got the $15 'Kids Eat Free' cards, really because of the duration we'll be there. They will have paid for themselves on the 3rd sitting. We had planned to go to NBA City and NASCAR anyway (before we discovered these cards yesterday) bit neither child's menu is on-line. I called both restaurants and they listed the usual for the kid's menu;
- burger/chicken tender and fries
- pizza
- mac and cheese

Neither restaurant has a healthy option. Can anyone advise? Of the above menu choices, the children eat burgers and fries and none of the others. Even if they did, we wouldn't let them eat unhealthy food more than twice a week. They like good food. AND the occasional bad offering!! I kinda feel like a 2nd rate customer with the 'Kids Eat Free Card'. We will be eating at places that don't have this deal. Will all restaurants allow us to order something (of the restaurant's choice) that is healthy (per se)? Like pasta, baked potato, veg, grilled (not fried) chicken. Thank you!
I would imagine that if you bought special discount cards for dining, you most likely will not be allowed more expensive substitutions---same price substitutions perhaps. I'd suggest just sticking with the designated choices where you use your discount card and just ordering something more healthy in the establishments that don't take the card.

Check out the menus at the restaurants that accept the cards and compare prices for what you are getting free with other stuff to see if it would be likely that the restaurants will let you do some switching.

For example: Chicken tenders at Nascar are $11.99 for the adult meal (kids would be cheaper) and grilled chicken is $14.49. It is unlikely that they would just substitute one for the other.

Last edited by damo; 04-25-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #645
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by No user names left View Post
Thanks Metro West. We are also redheads. And very glamorous!!

My question is specifically about the bigger table-service restaurants like NBA, NASCAR, Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood etc. Will they let us substitute unhealthy options on kids menus for any healthy option of their choice?? i.e. where there is no healthy choice that you have listed on the kids menu. Surely that can't expect to feed kids rubbish day in day out, so how receptive are they when asked? We don't want to have to avoid eating-out.
I don't know about those restaurants, but in general, most places sub out the kids fries with grapes/fruit or applesauce....not the more expensive sides like a baked potato.

I know Outback Steakhouse will give a veg...my son always gets broccoli!

I would be prepared to pay extra for specific sides. You could always ask...you never know, but I wouldn't go assuming that it will be done for free.

When my boys were younger, we often bought them an adult meal and they split it. Usually they were able to agree on what to eat, so it made it easier.

Have fun!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfasts, dining, food & beverage, smart visitors, universal, universal orlando, vegan, vegetarian

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: