Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
MyPeanut&Bug
Mouseketeer

"Mommy! Dey heads is fweaky!" 8 (otherwise) wonderful days in March 2011

Welcome to my first ever TR! (in other words… bear with me! I can promise you tons of pics, but no room/food/all those other good pics we DISers love…I’ll do better next time!) We’ve been back less than a week and I’m hoping maybe reliving our trip here will lift the post-Disney funk. Man, it’s bad this time!

I’ll introduce you to everyone first:

Me, Alicia AKA Mom: 33 years old, former preschool teacher now SAHM and in home child care provider. Disney nut and planner of the family – I begged to go to Disney World growing up and finally got there are at age 18 and fell totally in love with it. My husband and mom lovingly (I think…) refer to my Disney nerdiness but area also quick to tell me that they appreciate someone else doing all the planning. This was my 5th trip.

DH, Buddy AKA Dad: 33 years old (for a few more weeks anyway ;-), driver/warehouse worker currently in school for automotive repair. First trip to Disney was our honeymoon in 2002 – after we got home he admitted that he never imagined he’d have as much fun as we did. Mission accomplished! This was his 3rd trip.

DS, Benjamin: 6 years old, in kindergarten. Lover of Legos and trucks, especially monster trucks. Shy and cautious by nature, the Haunted Mansion nearly did him in last time – it took many, many rides on “it’s a small world” to undo that. ;-) This was his 2nd trip.

DD, Eliza: 4 years going on 14. Our resident drama queen and lover of all things princess and girly. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse obsessed. My Disney partner in the house who’s always up for watching the planning DVD and talking Disney with me. Fiesty and boisterous by nature, she was thrilled to be tall enough for “big” rides this trip. This was her 2nd trip.

My mom, Patricia AKA Baba (Benjamin’s word for Grandma – he started calling her this at about 18 months old and it’s stuck): 50+, nurse. Loves the villains and classics like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean – back problems and vertigo keep her on the gentle rides. This was her 3rd trip.

Buddy and I took the kids for their first trip in May 2009. We drove from NE Ohio, about 17 hours total but split up over 2 days each way and it was very do-able. We spent 9 amazing days in the parks and the kids loved Disney…my work as a mother was done! They were 4.5 years old and a month away from 3 on that trip and proved to be awesome travelers. Almost as soon as we got back from that trip my mom and I started talking about going back with her. We knew we couldn’t do it in 2010 (darn money, always getting in the way of everything!) so we set our sights on 2011. After looking at work and school schedules, we decided on early March (and as it got closer, specifically March 4-12) and I settled into my happy place once again…planning a Disney trip!
August 2002 - Honeymoon after our Cinderella wedding! - POR
May 2009 - ASMo- First trip with kids!
March 2011 - Grandma came along for the fun too! - ASMo
Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
em6668
Mouseketeer

Subbing! We were there March 5th through the 12th so I need a good trip report to help with the withdrawal symptoms.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Mrs. Sojourner
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to hear all about it! Your kids are adorable.

Have Stayed at: AS Sport, ASM, CSR, POR & PBH (USF)
Check out my PTR! From West Africa to WDW; talk about some culture shock!

My Blog: Mrs. Sojourner's Monologues
Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
MyPeanut&Bug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by em6668 View Post
Subbing! We were there March 5th through the 12th so I need a good trip report to help with the withdrawal symptoms.
I know! I've been reading trip reports a lot since we got home. It's much worse than last time - I swear b/c last time we drove and we were ready to home and out of the car and this time we flew, so much easier! Welcome!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
MyPeanut&Bug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Sojourner View Post
Can't wait to hear all about it! Your kids are adorable.
Thank you! Hoping to get more posted at nap and "rest" time!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran

I am here!! Looking forward to comparing notes!!

Follow our Progress For March 2015http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post50810740
Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

The kids are adorable! I can't wait for more.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
sandym718
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
jessidoll
Second Star To The Right And Straight On 'Till Morning.

Location: Either at Hogwarts causing some mischief or in Neverland fighting some pirates.

i'm in!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it always?
Consilium non umquam.

I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #11
MyPeanut&Bug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-n-brensmom View Post
I am here!! Looking forward to comparing notes!!
Hi Kara! Sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I'm here, just have to go back and read now!
Hi Jennifer - you didn't miss much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
The kids are adorable! I can't wait for more.
Thanks Colleen and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandym718 View Post
I'm in!
Hi Sandy!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
jc040404
DIS Veteran

Subbing! You have a gorgeous family! We were at WDW during some of your trip. We did March 6-11 as our "long" trip this year. Can't wait to follow along!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
MyPeanut&Bug
Mouseketeer

Arrival day!

So after months of planning, making reservations and ADR’s, packing and re-packing and generally just getting so excited I couldn’t stand it, it was finally time to actually leave! Our flight was scheduled for 6:10am, Friday morning, March 4. That morning I got up about 3:15 and we planned on leaving the house around 4am to go pick up my mom and get to the airport, which is thankfully close. I talked the kids into sleeping in their clothes the night before, so they could sleep as late as possible. Didn’t work with Benjamin, who got up when I did (a few minutes before my alarm, actually) so he chilled on the couch while I threw some last minute things in our carryons, checked that I had the camera battery recharger repeatedly and then it was time to get Buddy up. He got up and ready and started carrying bags to the car while I woke Eliza up. She was so cute – I was patting her back and telling her it was time to get up and she wasn’t budging much. Finally I whispered, “It’s time to go to Disney World” and she rolled over, opened her eyes and said, albeit sleepily, “Really??” That was all it took and my Disney girl was up and moving.

We made it out the door a few minutes after 4am, not bad considering how bad we are sometimes at leaving on time. It was chilly and rainy – perfect weather to leave behind. We picked up my mom and got to the airport, checked luggage and made it through security by about 4:45 (Gotta love small regional airports!!)

Buddy trying to ignore Benjamin…even en route to Disney, my hubby is just not a morning person!

We had about an hours wait until boarding, ate a little breakfast and tried to calm my mom’s increasing nerves (she is NOT a flier and I’m actually surprised that she did so again after our previous flights to Disney) Gave Eliza some Dramimine as she’s had some occasional bouts with motion sickness if we’re in the car for too long and I wasn’t taking any chances on the flight. Finally it was time to board and we lifted off shortly after 6am. Both kids had flown before but both were too young to remember their previous flights, so they were just taking it all in. It was dark when we took off the first time, so not much for them to see. Had an uneventful flight to Atlanta and got in there about 7:50am. Hit the restrooms and just had a short wait until our next flight left Atlanta about 8:45am. This time it was light out and the kids really liked looking out the window. Benjamin probably didn’t do much to calm Grandma’s nerves when he loudly exclaimed “Goodbye land!” during lift off. Another uneventful flight and we got into Orlando right around 10am. As were waiting to get off the plane, Benjamin turned to Buddy and in a worried voice said, “We gotta get off before it blasts off again!”

Got our luggage, enjoyed the airport monorail (good prep for Disney!) changed the kids into shorts (they couldn’t wait!!), waited in a slow line at the rental car counter and we were finally heading out of the airport shortly after 11am. Blue skies, sunshine and palm trees! We’re finally here!

We were heading to Universal Studios City Walk for lunch at Margaritaville. I’m a long time Parrothead and it’s become our tradition to eat at Margaritaville (and for me to get some new Buffett shirts!) before heading to Disney.

Moving walkways are always fun!

It started to sprinkle a bit as we walked to the restaurant but never got hard and quickly stopped. Got seated right away and we were all starving and ready for some good music and good food.

The kids, especially Benjamin, liked the exploding volcano.

We got done eating, I got my new shirt and we took some pictures outside.

We spent at hour or so walking around CityWalk – Benjamin liked the race cars outside the NASCAR restaurant and watching the rollercoasters that you can see in the distance. Eliza just kept saying “I thought we going to Disney World! I don’t think this Disney World!” (Is she my kid or what??)

We surfed out of Universal shortly around 3pm to head to All Star Movies and Disney World!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
MyPeanut&Bug
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc040404 View Post
Subbing! You have a gorgeous family! We were at WDW during some of your trip. We did March 6-11 as our "long" trip this year. Can't wait to follow along!
Welcome and thank you!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Great start!! I'm on board too.

I ate at Margaritaville for the first time last year. I was instantly a fan! But our little guy was so scared of that volcano. He thought it was going to spit on him.

Where did you catch that wave? Universal or All Stars Movies?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: