Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Eating Healthy
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #31
jkldesigns
Earning My Ears
 
jkldesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 37

I'm here! I was just thinking about using my trip as an end date for my weight loss goal! I am another with a 10 pound goal, it is harder the closer you get!!! I've been talking about losing this ten pounds for 5 years now

I have such a hard time with my cravings though, if I want it I

Good luck everyone
__________________


Me DH DSD17 DSD13 DSD13
Bunbun Little Bun
jkldesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #32
BelleBete
Earning My Ears
 
BelleBete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Harper View Post
I'm starting to really get into salads. I am in absolute with avocado.
Me too! I recently had a salad that had raw kale in it that I'm going to try and re-create. I didn't even know you could eat kale raw, but I've been trying to work more kale and chard into my diet so I was excited. Once the weather gets warm here (and it's gonna be awhile) I plan on eating salads for dinner 3-4 nights a week. Oh, and avocado is heaven-sent, no way I'd ever cut it out of my diet.
__________________
Me (24) DBF (30)

BelleBete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #33
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Harper View Post
I'm starting to really get into salads. I am in absolute with avocado. I know that it is kind of high in calorie, but its better having a salad with some avocado than a stop at Taco Bell. Right?
I have never tried avocado, I might have to pick one up and try it
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #34
donnaf516
DIS Veteran
 
donnaf516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 1,150

I'd like to join! My goal is to drop 25 pounds before out trip in late August. I've been working really hard for the past month and lost 10 pounds.

No true carbs past 12 noon, fruit only with my breakfast, 10 8oz glasses of water per day and at lease 30 minutes of activity per day.
__________________






August 2010 - POR O August 2011 - CBR O February 2012 - Pop O August 2012 - BC O August 2013 - POFQ O August 2014 - POFQ
donnaf516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #35
BelleBete
Earning My Ears
 
BelleBete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I have never tried avocado, I might have to pick one up and try it


Never? Not even in guacamole? I recommend slicing one up either on a salad or in salsa. Maybe have someone help you pick your first one...they're tricky and the ripeness has a big effect on flavor.
__________________
Me (24) DBF (30)

BelleBete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #36
BelleBete
Earning My Ears
 
BelleBete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaf516 View Post
I'd like to join! My goal is to drop 25 pounds before out trip in late August. I've been working really hard for the past month and lost 10 pounds.

No true carbs past 12 noon, fruit only with my breakfast, 10 8oz glasses of water per day and at lease 30 minutes of activity per day.
Congrats! May I ask why the time limits on when you eat fruit or carbs?
__________________
Me (24) DBF (30)

BelleBete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #37
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh
 
Tinkermom76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Posts: 3,007

Hey I see we got a thread, Thanks L-Harper!!!

I think I by far have the most to lose. I would like to lose 90 but will be happy with 40 by the trip!!!

I am really into salads now, just finished one (kids are having mac and cheese for dinner)

I have to say this has been really hard for me since I am the only one in my family that is overweight. My mom is so skinny and my kids are too. When my mom goes to the store she always comes home with a cheesecake. Last night she was gonna grab a couple donut holes for each of the kids when she went for coffee and instead come home with a half a dozen donuts

I am actually gonna head out to the YMCA with the kids after dinner so they can go swimming (me too) and I think we will walk there and walk home since it's so nice out!

Then after they go to bed I will go for my usual walk.

I would really love to hear some great low calorie meal ideas and some great snack tips. I find I do better if I have 6 small meals all day. That way I snack less because I know food is coming.

Natalie
__________________
GAWRSH!!!!!!!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)


May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #38
jbmom
Our underwear just gets put in the drawer with no extra attention
I've been known to prop my knife under my plate if there is something runny on it
 
jbmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 6,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Harper View Post
I'm starting to really get into salads. I am in absolute with avocado. I know that it is kind of high in calorie, but its better having a salad with some avocado than a stop at Taco Bell. Right?
I love salads too! I've been experimenting a lot with fruits in my salads. Dried cherries and clementines are my favorite right now. I haven't tried avocado yet, but I love them. I have been substituting homemade guacamole for sour cream and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Harper View Post

I'm from Michigan, too! Yes, cutting out pop has been very hard. I've now decided that I can only have it if we go out to eat and it will be limited to 1 glass. I am embarrassed to say this, but I was drinking 3-5 cans of Cherry Pepsi everyday for months and months. It was my coffee so to speak. I'd crack one open as soon as I got up. A can of pop is far too convenient.
Oh I was right there with you! If it was here I was drinking it. I let myself have a glass out to eat too, but keeping it out of the house has really helped. I drank Coke and I feel so much better drinking mostly water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkle View Post
YUM, I love avocada (healthy fat, my husband says you can eat lots ) salads can be good if you do them right....looks like you have the knack!!! ...My diet plan looks worse than it is.....I eat TONS of veggies (lunch is at least 2 C broccoli and at supper I have a large helping of meat (roast beef/chicken/taco meat/whatever we're eating) It is similar to weight watchers points (about 20 points is my minimum)
I have been trying to make my own vinaigrettes, some are successful others not so much!It makes me feel better than ranch smothering my salad!
__________________
Becky Brian DS15 DS12
jbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #39
donnaf516
DIS Veteran
 
donnaf516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 1,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleBete View Post
Congrats! May I ask why the time limits on when you eat fruit or carbs?

Thank you!

Eating carbs and fruit (which turns into natural sugar) earlier in the day gives your body more time to burn it off than if you were to eat later in the day.
__________________






August 2010 - POR O August 2011 - CBR O February 2012 - Pop O August 2012 - BC O August 2013 - POFQ O August 2014 - POFQ
donnaf516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
KellyWasHere
DIS Veteran
 
KellyWasHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 799

I'm in! I have no weight to lose, I am already underweight, I just want to get fit. We took the girls to the zoo today and I am way too tired and sore.

Right now my general goals are to work out on the elliptical everyday and eat a salad once a day.
__________________

33, married , with 2 daughters (5 & 3 )

May 2000 All-Star Music / October 2000 Disneyland / October 2002 All-Star Music (Disney + US/IOA) / June 2003 Swan (belated honeymoon, Disney + US/IOA) / October 2007 All-Star Music / November 2009 All-Star Sports / December 2010 Windsor Hills (Disney + US/IOA) / October 2011 All-Star Movies & Old Key West / May 2012 Bay Lake Tower & CBR / October 2012 Bonnet Creek


KellyWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #41
lauren_elizabeth
Disney World Lover
 
lauren_elizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,062

I'm here!
__________________
ME & DH DS6 DD3 DD1


lauren_elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #42
KellyWasHere
DIS Veteran
 
KellyWasHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleBete View Post
Me too! I recently had a salad that had raw kale in it that I'm going to try and re-create. I didn't even know you could eat kale raw, but I've been trying to work more kale and chard into my diet so I was excited. Once the weather gets warm here (and it's gonna be awhile) I plan on eating salads for dinner 3-4 nights a week. Oh, and avocado is heaven-sent, no way I'd ever cut it out of my diet.
We bought a Vitamix about a year ago and made some really yummy green smoothies that had kale and swiss chard. With the right combo of banana or the like you couldn't even taste the greens. But after not using it for a couple months I can't find it.

Avocado is the perfect food. I don't even make guacamole any more, because I don't want any other "tastes" getting in the way of my beloved avocado. I eat it straight.
__________________

33, married , with 2 daughters (5 & 3 )

May 2000 All-Star Music / October 2000 Disneyland / October 2002 All-Star Music (Disney + US/IOA) / June 2003 Swan (belated honeymoon, Disney + US/IOA) / October 2007 All-Star Music / November 2009 All-Star Sports / December 2010 Windsor Hills (Disney + US/IOA) / October 2011 All-Star Movies & Old Key West / May 2012 Bay Lake Tower & CBR / October 2012 Bonnet Creek


KellyWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #43
basketkat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
Hey I see we got a thread, Thanks L-Harper!!!

I think I by far have the most to lose. I would like to lose 90 but will be happy with 40 by the trip!!!

I am really into salads now, just finished one (kids are having mac and cheese for dinner)

I have to say this has been really hard for me since I am the only one in my family that is overweight. My mom is so skinny and my kids are too. When my mom goes to the store she always comes home with a cheesecake. Last night she was gonna grab a couple donut holes for each of the kids when she went for coffee and instead come home with a half a dozen donuts

I am actually gonna head out to the YMCA with the kids after dinner so they can go swimming (me too) and I think we will walk there and walk home since it's so nice out!

Then after they go to bed I will go for my usual walk.

I would really love to hear some great low calorie meal ideas and some great snack tips. I find I do better if I have 6 small meals all day. That way I snack less because I know food is coming.

Natalie
I'm with you! My husband is a bean pole. I tease we are the perfect #10 couple. He's the 1 and I'm the 0 My girls are followng in his footsteps it seems. Good for them

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's tips and encouragement!
__________________


'01-Off Property '02-All Star Movies Honeymoon '10- All Star Movies'11- Coronado Springs'12- Dream Cruise to Bahamas/Wilderness Lodge'12- Disneyland
basketkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #44
BelleBete
Earning My Ears
 
BelleBete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
I have to say this has been really hard for me since I am the only one in my family that is overweight. My mom is so skinny and my kids are too. When my mom goes to the store she always comes home with a cheesecake. Last night she was gonna grab a couple donut holes for each of the kids when she went for coffee and instead come home with a half a dozen donuts
I hear ya! My boyfriend is super lean and keeps offering to make me one of his cocoa creations or suggesting cookies for dessert. I feel bad turning him down, but he knows I'm trying to cut back on that sort of thing. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaf516 View Post
Thank you!

Eating carbs and fruit (which turns into natural sugar) earlier in the day gives your body more time to burn it off than if you were to eat later in the day.
Ahh that makes sense. Good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyWasHere View Post
We bought a Vitamix about a year ago and made some really yummy green smoothies that had kale and swiss chard. With the right combo of banana or the like you couldn't even taste the greens. But after not using it for a couple months I can't find it.

Avocado is the perfect food. I don't even make guacamole any more, because I don't want any other "tastes" getting in the way of my beloved avocado. I eat it straight.
Sounds like green juice! There are a zillion recipes for this on the 'net, and I'd love to try some. However, my blender is loud and I don't want to annoy my apartment neighbors in the morning. It's supposed to be really healthy though, and breakfast smoothies are great in the summer.
__________________
Me (24) DBF (30)

BelleBete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #45
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran
 
Strawberry's mom&dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Eatonville,Wa
Posts: 680

Here is a very simple recipe:
Lunch

1 28 oz Can Whole Tomatoes (no salt added)

1 16 oz Bag Mixed Frozen Vegetables

4 oz Frozen Chopped Collard Greens

1/2 Large Bag Success Instant Brown Rice


This took about 10 minutes to make, only because the rice takes 10 minutes to make. I put the tomatoes and the veggies in a pot and as soon as the rice was done, i added it.

This is from Jeff Novick' s blog. Just a sample of one of his quick meals. When I cook I like to make enough extra so I always have left overs for a meal the next day.
Breakfast-Oatmeal and bagel
Lunch today was a baked yam and a side of veggies. Yummy!
Snack-orange

Barb
__________________
me DH DD

Strawberry's mom&dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.