Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #121
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Well the last few times I was there, he was not visible at all, it was dark and he was either covered or gone... this week he was lit up and looked like he moved.... hey I am glad he was lit up and Like I said I was up front in a car so could not be sure

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #122
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603 View Post
Well the last few times I was there, he was not visible at all, it was dark and he was either covered or gone... this week he was lit up and looked like he moved.... hey I am glad he was lit up and Like I said I was up front in a car so could not be sure
He's been dark for a while, so getting lit up is an improvement...but if he moved like he originally did, there would be no question of it.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #123
stindall
Congress Tart

clarification: The yeti is a lady.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #124
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
clarification: The yeti is a lady.
Oops...yes, I know that. No offense to Betti.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #125
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
He's been dark for a while, so getting lit up is an improvement...but if he moved like he originally did, there would be no question of it.
I personally don't think a drunk Yeti is better than no Yeti.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #126
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
I personally don't think a drunk Yeti is better than no Yeti.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #127
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I was there in early October. Yeti was lit and moving.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #128
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S
I was there in early October. Yeti was lit and moving.
It only appears to move. It is broken

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #129
DaymanX
Mouseketeer

I rode it twice today and it was the same Disco Yeti that I remember from last year.
DaymanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #130
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I completely disagree...

if it cannot be fixed...during ride rehab get some welders in there and torch cut it into a thousand pieces...
If it doesn't move - it is useless. the ride was designed to have a three dimensional encounter with the "real" yeti.
I could waste my time going back to 2003 press releases to find that exact quote...but i don't need to because i had it memorized.

They didn't deliver...and you got Skull Mountain at Six Flags Great Adventure.

I'd have more respect if they'd admit defeat. If they can come up with some sort of holographic projection (maybe Tupac?) in there to replace it...then i welcome it.

Right now it has a less exhilerating yeti experience than the 1959 matterhorn...and you don't even get the splash down.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #131
Pumbaa7287
I am the great Stone Dragon!
You may ask why someone would want to inflict that kind of pain on themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I completely disagree...

if it cannot be fixed...during ride rehab get some welders in there and torch cut it into a thousand pieces...
If it doesn't move - it is useless. the ride was designed to have a three dimensional encounter with the "real" yeti.
I could waste my time going back to 2003 press releases to find that exact quote...but i don't need to because i had it memorized.

I'd have more respect if they'd admit defeat. If they can come up with some sort of holographic projection (maybe Tupac?) in there to replace it...then i welcome it.

Right now it has a less exhilerating yeti experience than the 1959 matterhorn...and you don't even get the splash down.
I'd much prefer Freddie Mercury to Tupac.

Kungaloosh!

Oh the places you'll go:
Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Resort, Saratoga Springs, All-Star Movies, Pop Century

And miles to go before I sleep:
Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Yacht Club, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Art of Animation

10 down, 8 to go!
Pumbaa7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #132
Jess1989
Earning My Ears

Lightbulb Yeti

On my most recent trip to WDW (September 2012) I learned what the deal is with the Yeti from a very reputable source.
The yeti has has many issues over the years and recently imagineers have put her "in the dark" so to speak so when you rode you could just see the yeti's face peering out of the darkness.
My source stated the yeti's problems were getting too much for imagineers and guests and she was barely functioning day to day. As of late September she was in the dark so the issues weren't as obvious as the yeti being unable to swipe for riders or basic movement.
The yeti will be either in the dark or removed to be worked on and will not be back to top form ie working normally for 12-18 months

Such a shame as it was my boyfriend that pointed it out on our first ride through the yeti was really dark and didn't move, hope it's brought back to top form with some well needed imagineering :-D
Jess1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #133
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1989 View Post
On my most recent trip to WDW (September 2012) I learned what the deal is with the Yeti from a very reputable source.
The yeti has has many issues over the years and recently imagineers have put her "in the dark" so to speak so when you rode you could just see the yeti's face peering out of the darkness.
My source stated the yeti's problems were getting too much for imagineers and guests and she was barely functioning day to day. As of late September she was in the dark so the issues weren't as obvious as the yeti being unable to swipe for riders or basic movement.
The yeti will be either in the dark or removed to be worked on and will not be back to top form ie working normally for 12-18 months

Such a shame as it was my boyfriend that pointed it out on our first ride through the yeti was really dark and didn't move, hope it's brought back to top form with some well needed imagineering :-D
What doesn't exactly jibe is that the Yeti has been "barely functioning" for 5 years. There wasn't anything else to not function except for a strobe light, and that's not a tough piece of technology.

Then again, they couldn't fix the Lights of Winter either...

Old 10-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #134
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

My understanding is that the structure is the yeti is on which is part of the ride structure began to crack from the yeti moving

It can't be fixed without essentially rebuilding the ride

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #135
stindall
Congress Tart

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I completely disagree...

That's a really terrible attitude to have.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: