Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
scrappingpickle
Earning My Ears

Who is Duffy?

I have seen Duffy mentioned several times here on the DIS. Who is he? I have been racking my brain trying to come up with it and I got nothing.
scrappingpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

He's a bear that Minnie sewed for Mickey so he wouldn't be lonely on his sea voyages. You can meet him at Paradise Pier in DCA (near Ariel's Grotto, I believe) and buy him in plush form throughout the parks. He has Mickey Mouse symbols on his feet and often wears a sailor suit.

Here are a couple shots of tiny (magnet-footed) Duffy.

Last edited by Eeee-va; 09-17-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Sleepless Knight
Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
There's a time and a place for each

I'm beginning to believe that Duffy has some magical powers that make him and guests lined up to see him invisible. That's the best explanation I can come up with for his meet and greet always being empty.
Sleepless Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
MenchieMan87
You have saved our lives, we are eternally grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
I'm beginning to believe that Duffy has some magical powers that make him and guests lined up to see him invisible. That's the best explanation I can come up with for his meet and greet always being empty.
Haha, if he's around this weekend I'll take a picture with him!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Duffy is hugely popular at Tokyo Disney. Disney is trying to "import" him to the US parks - so far without success.

In case you did not notice, take a look at the previously posted photos in this thread. Look at Duffy's face and tell me what you see...
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Duffy's photo spot in DCA is the only Halloween thing we found in DCA 2 days ago. They are calling it "Duffy's Pumpkin Patch." The backdrop includes a hidden Mickey pumpkin. It's a cute photo op...but Duffy was not in his photo spot when we passed by, so I have no clue what Duffy is wearing for the Halloween season!

Also, there is a special stuffed Halloween Duffy for sale this year (wearing a little pumpkin-type outfit).

To be honest, when I was at DLR for the holiday season last December, I only saw Duffy being sold in DCA, and not in DL. (Sort of like how Mr. Potato Head moved out of DL and stayed a DCA exclusive.) This year, however, Duffy has 'crossed the border' and made it to the other side. He is now sold in shops on Main Street.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
goofycathy
DIS Veteran

Location: ONLY 752 miles north of the happiest place on earth!!!

DUFFY!!!

I dont think he wanted to be kissed?!?! LOL

Me & DH DS16 DS14 DD9

goofycathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

I don't care for this character. Seems like a shameless plug to sell teddy bears. All we need now is DL to have a build a bear inside the park.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
jernysgirl
I would say head to DL first to get you "in the mood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Duffy's photo spot in DCA is the only Halloween thing we found in DCA 2 days ago. They are calling it "Duffy's Pumpkin Patch." The backdrop includes a hidden Mickey pumpkin. It's a cute photo op...but Duffy was not in his photo spot when we passed by, so I have no clue what Duffy is wearing for the Halloween season!

Also, there is a special stuffed Halloween Duffy for sale this year (wearing a little pumpkin-type outfit).
I have seen pictures and it looks like Duffy is wearing the same pumpkin outfit that you can buy for the small stuffed animal.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
I don't care for this character. Seems like a shameless plug to sell teddy bears. All we need now is DL to have a build a bear inside the park.
That's how I feel. One more chance to peddle some plush stuff. Well...I have to admit that my girls love BAB, but I really don't think we need more plushy junk in the park. However, since it doesn't particularly affect me and others may enjoy it, I'm willing to let it slide

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
In case you did not notice, take a look at the previously posted photos in this thread. Look at Duffy's face and tell me what you see...
I was going to mention the samething.

Last edited by disneychrista; 09-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

My kiddos loved Duffy when they met him this past week. I don't think they really care all that much that Minnie sewed him for Mickey though--they love the "hidden" Mickeys on him and the fact that he is a teddy bear. They now each have little Duffy bears of their own (the ones with magnetic feet and hands) and LOVE them.

By the way, Duffy does not sign autographs, but he does give out "I hugged Duffy" stickers.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

The full background story of Duffy is interesting...as I understand it, Disney tried to sell him years ago in the parks as "My Disney Bear" but he didn't do great. You can even go on eBay and buy some of those original bears (in different colors!) though the price is astronomical.

Eventually, the owners of Tokyo Disneyland (or more specifically, Tokyo DisneySeas, their second gate) took the bear and named him Duffy. They made a little story for him, that Minnie had sewed him to accompany Mickey on his sea voyages, and then Mickey could take pictures of him during his journeys, etc. That went over huge in Japan, resulting in extremely long lines just to buy his merchandise, let alone meet him. They made numerous outfits for him, gave him a female bear friend Shellie May, etc. I understand Duffy is a HUGE seller over there; I've heard ridiculously large percentages of merchandise sales are just Duffy. Lots of adults will go around with their Duffy and Shellie Mays at the parks, get photos with/of them, etc. And Tokyo Disneyland licenses the Disney name, so those parks are not owned by Disney.

Eventually Disney decided they wanted to try again, so they re-launched Duffy over here. Originally the idea was to make him something special in just DCA and Epcot, just like you can only find him in Tokyo DisneySeas in Japan. We were in the meet-and-greet area in DCA in October 2010 and I met him just because he was there. But then hanging out in the merchandise shop, I started to love him. They must pump something in the air. Being cheap, I ended up buying the small magnet-pawed Duffy (which IMO is cuter than the big one they sell in the US anyway). He is VERY fun to take on trips and get pictures with, and fits easily into even a fairly small purse.

Later Disney gave up on the "one park exclusive" strategy (presumably due to weak sales) and just put Duffy wherever they could sell him, I guess. I am so thrilled they have a Halloween backdrop for Duffy...that makes me think that they may at least continue to support him through November or beyond. I need a Duffy hug!

(In Japan, they make very pricey and high-quality outfits for Duffy bears, several a year, I believe. Out here, for some reason Disney has decided to primarily come out with smaller, pre-dressed plushes for most seasons. IMO that really devalues the idea of Duffy as your "friend" that you take along with you, and even people who love Duffy don't necessarily have room for a dozen of them in their home...but Disney has stated the pre-dressed bears are part of their strategy. I don't understand it. )
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
goofycathy
DIS Veteran

Location: ONLY 752 miles north of the happiest place on earth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
I was going to mention the samething.
Clue me in!!

Me & DH DS16 DS14 DD9

goofycathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofycathy View Post
Clue me in!!
The light part of his face is a Mickey shape. He also has Mickey paw prints.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: