Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Jessbell34
Mouseketeer

Disney World w/ a 22 month old?!

We are finally taking the plung! My DH and I are having such WDW withdrawals, that we finally booked another trip for mid-June. My husband and I have been to WDW seven times in the past ten years, including a Disney World Wedding and Honeymoon. Our last trip was in March of 2009 and we can not take the separation anymore. Our family and friends think we are crazy for taking our 22 month old DS this young, but we need to go! Does anyone have any tips or experiences to share to ease my nerves. We are also flying for the first time with our DS too! We are staying at Pop Century for six nights, and here is the kicker... we are also bringing my mother-in-law! I am so excited to return, but I am also nervous. This will be the first time DH and I experience Disney as PARENTS! Eeeek!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

We took DD at 9 months. We are taking her again at 21 months. It was definitely a slower pace with an infant but still fun. Even as a 9 month old she enjoyed alot of attractions. I can't wait to take her back in May. I must admit we are a little scared b/c last time she wasn't walking yet. This time she will be running.

Just take it slow. You should be fine.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
shopgirl78
Mouseketeer

We went 2.5 years ago when my middle son was 23 months. He had an older sister who was 4. I was pregnant with #3. My MIL thought we were crazy for taking kids that young also however for DD it was the most magicial experience. For DS1, he liked it alot (it wasn't to "magical" that it was for DD). He learned right off the bat to say "dumbo" and he loved the rides. At MK, He loved the dumbo ride, aladin's magic carpet, tea cuts (we didn't spin much), winnie the pooh and the carosel. At AK, he loved the safari (found out too late I wasn't suppose to ride), and the jammin' jungle parade. At HS, he found a lot he like esp characters because we watch Disney Jr. We saw that little skit and others. He esp loved, loved, loved the Toy Story ride. My son loved the characters! He would take his autograph book and pen to them and give the a big hug (he had his sister to model) and the crowd would gush (he is tiny). He loved playing the water! It was August-hot the first time we went. We are going again next month (they don't know) and I have asked them what they remember, he doesn't remember much at all but it doesn't make the experience at the time any less. He will remember more this time for sure. And his little brother will be 26 months. We will totally go again when DS2 is older so he will remember it more then also.

p.s. we did all day park days and just let DS1 crash in the stroller. One of us would hang with him and the other would take DD around....

We ate at a lot of character buffets where my son just loved the mac n cheese. Buffets were somewhat of a PITA because the kids would finish as we just started eating...
March 2015 DCL/AoA

8 years 6 years 4 years
shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
scootch
DIS Veteran

You will be fine.. they are so engaged at watching everything, you will be amazed. I took my 2 and 5 year old dd's to WDW without my husband!! The only suggestion I have for you is on the plane board AS LATE as possible if you already have your seat assignment. I boarded early and had a bag full of dollar toys and went thru them before we took off. So on the way home, I told them at the gate to just give me a 10 min warning, I got on the plane then and it was much, much better. Still do it even now that they are 12 and 9!
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
SFreelove
Mouseketeer

Well they would think i'm really crazy then because my husband and I took our daughter for her 1ST birthday! We also brought along grama and grampa and they were a huge help, we all had a blast together! From my personal experience I don't think bringing a 22month old is too young at all. My daughter turned 1 during our trip and she got much more out of it than we expected her too. There is no perfect age to bring a child to Disney, each age shares a different experience and they are all just as magical if you ask me. We brought our daughter on 90% of the attractions we went on. The only rides you will see that your child won't be able to go on are the ones that have drops, or rollar coaster like. Disney is geared for everyone to be able to ride their rides so thats why it differs from like a six flags, where your child wouldn't be able to do much. Aside rides.. there are plenty of other things for your little one to do. We only went to a few shows at the parks but the ones we did, had our little one entertained from start to finish. Character meet and greets are amazing for any ager.. babies to adults, we all get that same smile on our face when walking up to take a picture. The parades will be great for his age also, to see some of his favorite characters singing and jumping around. Having your MIL along will also be a big help, we had grama and grampa along and when our daughter was tired and grama and grampa were also worn out by the end of the day they would go back to the hotel and we would catch the disney night life still. Nap times were never an issue for us.. she napped in her strolelr and we kept trucking, we got so much out of that trip, I would recommend any age is never too young.
SFreelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Jessbell34
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFreelove View Post
Well they would think i'm really crazy then because my husband and I took our daughter for her 1ST birthday! We also brought along grama and grampa and they were a huge help, we all had a blast together! From my personal experience I don't think bringing a 22month old is too young at all. My daughter turned 1 during our trip and she got much more out of it than we expected her too. There is no perfect age to bring a child to Disney, each age shares a different experience and they are all just as magical if you ask me. We brought our daughter on 90% of the attractions we went on. The only rides you will see that your child won't be able to go on are the ones that have drops, or rollar coaster like. Disney is geared for everyone to be able to ride their rides so thats why it differs from like a six flags, where your child wouldn't be able to do much. Aside rides.. there are plenty of other things for your little one to do. We only went to a few shows at the parks but the ones we did, had our little one entertained from start to finish. Character meet and greets are amazing for any ager.. babies to adults, we all get that same smile on our face when walking up to take a picture. The parades will be great for his age also, to see some of his favorite characters singing and jumping around. Having your MIL along will also be a big help, we had grama and grampa along and when our daughter was tired and grama and grampa were also worn out by the end of the day they would go back to the hotel and we would catch the disney night life still. Nap times were never an issue for us.. she napped in her strolelr and we kept trucking, we got so much out of that trip, I would recommend any age is never too young.
Thank you so much for the reassurance! It sounds to me like you have had some amazing Disney experiences!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Our YDS was 22 months exactly when we went in Dec 2010 and he had the best time. He is still talking about his trip. He gets so excited everytime he sees a disney commercial or Cinderellas castle. We did have to do baby swap for some rides because he was too little but there was TONS for him to go on. He loves loves Tigger so Crystal Palace was a HUGE hit him he just squealed with delight when Tigger would appear. Overall it was a very easy trip and I was newly pregnant at the time so I was moving slower but it was a great trip.
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Our two youngest were almost exactly that age (each, not twins when they had their first trips and we didn't even slow down. They loved it, slept when they were tired, and we kept moving. We never allowed whining, so they knew when they were tired just to go to sleep - no biggie. We never left the parks for them, but we all rested when we went to shows, ate, etc. They had a great time and so did we. We never even considered age when we decided to go, just went. My only concession to age was, even though I see a lot of "weeks to just months old" babies there, I would not personally have done it. Mostly what they do is eat and sleep and mine always preferred their beds then, so did not usually take long trips then except to our parents.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
mouse2mouse
Mouseketeer

You will have a blast. Make sure to buy a squirt bottle with a fan on it. It will keep them cool if falling asleep in the heat and entertain them when needed. My DD was afraid of the characters if they got really close at this age. She was fine with all the face characters. ( like the princesses etc.) Straws and frozen water bottles where also a big hit
mouse2mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
CourtneyL
Mouseketeer

We took our daughter when she was 4 months old and had a wonderful time. Family thought we were nuts because we had the whole thing (including airfare) booked before she was born. The airfare situation was kinda funny because we couldn't buy a seat for her without knowing her birthday, so we just bought an extra seat for one of us and added her as a lap child after she was born. It definitely made TSA and the airline checkin people do a double take, but it all worked out fine.

We had such a fun trip because there was so much for her to look at and take in. She loved the characters and the electrical parade! It was a big change of pace but this wasn't a "once in a lifetime trip" so we didn't feel bad if we missed anything.

We hope to take her back this November when she is 14 months old

Enjoy your trip!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Wow! We sound like the exact same couple. We just went with my 24 month old son in January and we had an AWESOME time. Here is a link to our trip report:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556

My biggest recommendation would be to always bring lots of changes of clothes and shoes with you to the parks because you kid will always find a way to get wet.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)

Last edited by DisneyRegulars; 02-22-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added missing link
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
4orm
Disney bride dreaming of buying DVC

We're similar to you three. Married there in 2004 and been 7 times to WDW since (and once each to EuroDisney and DL).

We took our daughter for her 1st and 2nd birthday (or was it because we really wanted to go to Food and Wine again and used her October birthday as an excuse..?). She still talks about it to this day and comes out with things we never would have thought - like last week she saw a porcupine on TV and said 'just like in Disney World!!'. We saw a short animal show at the affection section in AK. I'm kind of shocked she even remembers but am happy that it made such an impression. She got to have experiences that she wouldn't have gotten here at home and obviously she really dug it. The only regret is not staying longer than the 10 days we were there for this fall... on our last evening she 'got it' and started asking for particular rides and characters. It took her that long to realize she had a choice in what we did even though we asked be repeatedly what she wanted to do lol.
The hard part for us and nap time. Some days she'd have one some days she wouldn't but she's never been a great sleeper. She loved it. We loved it. We couldn't do it command style of course but it was still enjoyable. We do things differently now. We have to say our last trip was probably our favorite. You are not nuts - they are!

1981 - 1989 DL & DW many times*1997 - POFQ*2004 - GF & POR (married @ WDW)*2005 - AKL & BCV*2005 - CR, Poly & BWV (f&w)*2006 - DLH*2007 - DLRP*2007 - Dolphin*2008 Swan & WL (f&w)*2010 CR&Swan (DD 1st bday and f&w)*2011 Swan/SSR (DD 2nd bday and f&w)*2012 BLT, AKL, CSR for my pirate girl (DD 3rd bday and f&w)
4orm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Pinkgirly
Mouseketeer

We took DD at 10 months, and last year at 23 months. She had the best time, and still talks about it. She woke up every morning of the vacy asking to go to Disney World, it was so sweet. She napped good in her stroller, loved the characters, and rides. Just go at a slower pace, and have fun! Also make sure to bring snacks for your LO.

Etsy ID: Solabowtique
Pinkgirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
MrsH42608
Mouseketeer

I hope its not crazy because we're going.....

DH & I havent been since May of 2010 & we are also in serious withdrawl! I miss it so much! I, like you have been researching & asking a ton of questions because we're bringing our TWIN BOYS! They'll be 19mo when we go & I'm hoping to be prepared enough to make it as enjoyable as possible. We're staying at Bay Lake Tower so we can have the extra bedrooms for them to nap & go to sleep early, etc. We also want the option of eating in the room so they can have familiar foods & I'm sure eating out for every meal will not work for us. We're also really excited about being able to walk to MK & be on the monorail. My parents are coming along, who do drive me nuts from time to time but 2 babies + 2 parents = no extra hands so I'm very grateful to be able to bring them along. We're going the last wk of Sept because we're trying to avoid crowds.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. I asked a lot of people & posted so many questions before actually booking & I've gotten nothing but positive responses. Just keep doing your research so you feel prepared when you get there & are able to relax & enjoy youself! I wish you a very magical 1st trip as a Mommy!!!
MrsH42608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
2princesses1minnie
Earning My Ears

We took DD 5 and twin DD's 21mos last year. I was nervous too but it was worth it. You just have to slow down a little and be ready to change plans if necessary. Use the Baby care stations in each park. They are wonderful, clean places to change diapers and use the bathroom. All my girls loved them and we could take a little break from the park there. Bring plenty of snacks with you to the parks. One of my girls was afraid of the characters! For many of the character meals, I just gave them a signal and they stood behind her and I took a picture - she had no idea they were even there Also, you may want to bring night lights for the room. Hope this helps. You will have a great time and make so many wonderful memories!

2/2013 - BLT
12/2010 - GF
10/2007 - WL
5/2007 - WL
2princesses1minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: