Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #91
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I just LOVE the smile on Anakin's face by the fountains near Captain EO. If it had been cloudy, it would have lightened the sky.

Great photo with Donald Duck too.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #92
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

Great report
I am also a Schmolland mom to 2 boys so we do things a lot like you.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #93
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I just LOVE the smile on Anakin's face by the fountains near Captain EO. If it had been cloudy, it would have lightened the sky.

Great photo with Donald Duck too.
Aww, that's so sweet, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
Great report
I am also a Schmolland mom to 2 boys so we do things a lot like you.
Welcome, tinytreasures! What do you do that is similar, and what do you do that is different. We are pretty new to Schmolland. We arrived in Schmolland last June.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #94
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Captain EO is too intense in sensory stimulation for Anakin. We attempted to see it once with him. He was extremely apprehensive in the waiting area. I couldn't get him to walk into the queue. But he was willing to try in his stroller. We made it to the preshow. He watched the preshow with his hands over his ears, and turning his face into his stroller at times. When the doors opened to the show, the fountain of tears began. So we walked straight through and exited.

Here are more pictures I took while waiting for everyone else to get out of Captain EO.

The Tronorail!!

Last edited by lovethattink; 03-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #95
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Next we were off to Anakin's favorite...Journey into Imagination!!

And then Image Works

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #96
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Next stop, The Land

First up, Soarin' and then Living with the Land. We had arrived at the park shortly after opening. One member of our party got the fast passes at 9:30 for a return time of 11:20. We rode Soarin' then Living with the Land. Didn't catch the standby time for Soarin' but it was only a 10 minute way for the other attraction! Didn't use the GAC here.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #98
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Do you see the man in the bottom right picture? Anakin thinks he looks a little like Count Dooku.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #99
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

We ate lunch at the food court. Anakin had a chicken leg, rice, grapes and apple sauce. One of the sides wasn't included, so we had to pay additional for that. He did not like the rice. Grumpy said he'd eat it, but he didn't like the rice either. Which is surprising because he loves rice! I had the Gingered Beef with a side of white rice. Grumpy had chicken tortilla soup. He is a huge soup eater. I was concerned about the seeds on the cracker that came with the soup, but he wasn't allergic to either the soup or the cracker!

After lunch, we headed out for a rest, leaving Grumpy with the friends.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #100
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post

Welcome, tinytreasures! What do you do that is similar, and what do you do that is different. We are pretty new to Schmolland. We arrived in Schmolland last June.
We follow the kids lead. Leave when they look like they are going to melt. We don't plan much other then where we are going. Then we always have a exit plan if our oldest melts.
Our oldest is scared to death of winnie the pooh so we avoid him at all costs. He is better but we don't push our luck. It is really hard because winnie the pooh is everywhere (on clothes and the stores are full of him)
We have learned to stop and smell the roses instead of trying to see everything all the time. Our lives are better in one way, 10x harder in another. Food is are hardest thing because our oldest can't do corn which is in everything. So we have to bring his food along for everything and he hates it
It is a different life but it is our life so we deal
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #101
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
We follow the kids lead. Leave when they look like they are going to melt. We don't plan much other then where we are going. Then we always have a exit plan if our oldest melts.
Our oldest is scared to death of winnie the pooh so we avoid him at all costs. He is better but we don't push our luck. It is really hard because winnie the pooh is everywhere (on clothes and the stores are full of him)
We have learned to stop and smell the roses instead of trying to see everything all the time. Our lives are better in one way, 10x harder in another. Food is are hardest thing because our oldest can't do corn which is in everything. So we have to bring his food along for everything and he hates it
It is a different life but it is our life so we deal
Winnie the Pooh is definately hard to avoid at Disney. Corn is very difficult to avoid. Grumpy is allergic to soy and it's every where too.

I agree, following their lead helps to avoid the meltdowns. Even grocery shopping is based on when would be best. I have to make a list and stick very strictly to it. We created a social story about going to Walmart. Haven't had any meltdowns in the toy aisle since, because we can refer to the social story and how it's ok not to get a toy every time.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #103
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Pixie Hollow F&G Festival

As we were walking past Test Track towards World Showcase, we discovered an activity table just outside Pixie Hollow. The CM explained to Anakin that she had a magic crayon, and he was to take the crayon and the special paper she gave him over the stands and their name will appear on the paper. Once he was done, he would get a prize. He said, "probably stickers." He was right.

There was magic in Pixie Hollow. As with other children with Asperger's, he is emotionally behind by a few years. He also doesn't understand joking, sarcasm, or slyness. His world is black and white. So when the cm said it was a magic crayon, there was no doubt in his mind it was a magic crayon. His naiivity is part of his charm. He was wholeheartedly amazed every time a name showed up on his paper! I debated whether or not to explain to him how it worked, but I decided to let him delight in the magic and I will explain it to him another time.

The playground equipment in Pixie Hollow says for children 5 and under. He has developmental delay, and just recently mastered how to do the things in this playground. There weren't many children here so we let him play there. He was very careful around the other children, and even explained to the other children how you have to wait to go down the slide until the child before you is out of the way.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #104
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Winnie the Pooh is definately hard to avoid at Disney. Corn is very difficult to avoid. Grumpy is allergic to soy and it's every where too.

I agree, following their lead helps to avoid the meltdowns. Even grocery shopping is based on when would be best. I have to make a list and stick very strictly to it. We created a social story about going to Walmart. Haven't had any meltdowns in the toy aisle since, because we can refer to the social story and how it's ok not to get a toy every time.
I am lucky to have help here. I don't take them to the store unless I have to. We really talk out what is expected of them and if they start to loose it we go to the van. That has been a great trick to get him to calm himself down. This time in Disney I am going to try ear plugs to see if that helps for getting him overwhelmed. We only did it for the fireworks and it help big time. I don't know why we didn't do it the rest of the time. Plus this time he is on better meds that really are helping him. I am hoping we can do a lot more this time around.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #105
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know what this is suppose to be? It looked like there was bird seed and they were sifting it??

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: