Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #151
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,919

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPeanut&Bug View Post
Too cute about Anakin being so into the pins! Has he not been into them before? The piano man sounds like he was just awesome with him!
When Goofy was in elementary school we were a pin trading family. We went to PTN every other Friday at the Contemporary. And when they started Thursday nights at All Star Sports we went there too fairly frequently. Even when they did the PTN at POR. When they changed to the Contemporary monthly in the convention center, Grumpy began to lose interest and we eventually stopped going. Put all our pins and pin books in a huge rubbermaid container, where they've sat until recently. We are sitting down with Anakin looking at our old pins.

It's really neat how they bring back memories of that particular trade, or trying to get our computer to work faster to bid on those Disney auction pins, or standing in lines waiting to purchase brand new pins when they came out.

It's because of going to purchase a pin that we are in Disney's Vacation Planning DVD!
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #152
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,564

We tried pin trading last vist but no one in our house was really into it. Jess likes collecting pins but not really trading. Luke just didnt get it much. Think there was just so much going on that pin trading wasnt important. Of course, it was his first visit. I think its a great activity and think its cute that Anakin is into it. Also love the piano man story. I always love it when someone takes special interest in our kids. It just makes their day. Luke is the favorite bag boy at our local grocery store. Every time we go, the manager greets him and tells him to help me shop and he will need his help when it comes time to get my groceries sacked. Then he helps him sack the groceries and put them in the car. It makes our trip so much easier because Luke has something to look forward too.
sl_underwood is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #153
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,919

I can imagine that it makes going to the grocery store easier!! I dread stops at the grocery store! The lights are too bright and seem to bother him as soon as we enter.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #154
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
When Goofy was in elementary school we were a pin trading family. We went to PTN every other Friday at the Contemporary. And when they started Thursday nights at All Star Sports we went there too fairly frequently. Even when they did the PTN at POR. When they changed to the Contemporary monthly in the convention center, Grumpy began to lose interest and we eventually stopped going. Put all our pins and pin books in a huge rubbermaid container, where they've sat until recently. We are sitting down with Anakin looking at our old pins.

It's really neat how they bring back memories of that particular trade, or trying to get our computer to work faster to bid on those Disney auction pins, or standing in lines waiting to purchase brand new pins when they came out.

It's because of going to purchase a pin that we are in Disney's Vacation Planning DVD!

We haven't had the luxury of gong to Pin Trading Events, but my children LOVE it as well. I am glad you are reliving some GREAT MEMORIES and making new ones, that is AWESOME!!!! I have to laugh about the Pin Auctions...been there, done that!!!! How COOL that you are in the video!!!
blessedmom4 is offline  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #155
davebon23
Mouseketeer
 
davebon23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Welcome davebon23!

Do you email Disney before your trips about your food allergies?

We tend to eat at the same restaurants over and over so we generally know what he can and cannot eat. Gluten is not one of his allergies, surprisingly, neither is milk. When they did the skin tests on him a few years ago, he was allergic to 80-some things out of the 120 they tested him for.

I'm sorry about your children having febrile seizures. Does the Florida heat cause any problems?

I see your next trip is 8/11. Anakin really minded the heat last summer. There was one day we were on the ferry back to the TTC when he started having an aura. When things heat up here, we keep him inside during the hottest time of the day. We had spent the morning at the MK, and it was around lunch time and we were heading out of the park then home. We carry a cooler bag filled with frozen waters. He was in his stroller, and we took out the frozen waters and laid them around his body, neck, and gave him a bottle to hold in each hand. Once we got off the ferry we dodged into the store at the TTC until he cooled off more. Goofy headed back to the car, got the air cranked and picked us up at the kennels (right by the store). I am hoping that now he is better controlled with medication, that this summer won't be as bothersome for him.
I am glad you have been able to keep Anakin cooled down. The frozen waters are a good idea. The heat and I are not best friends. I tend to get overheated easily. My DS, who is now 16 is always hot. He doesn't even want to wear a coat here in Jersey in the winter. And we had a TON of snow this year. LOL. My kids have seem to have outgrown the seizures as they haven't had any in some time. We are blessed. I know you have to deal with this all of the time with Anakin and it must be a worry for you.

We have been to Disney in August once before. This will be our second time then and it will be a true test of how we will tolerate the heat. My DH is almost ready to retire and is convinced we should move to FL and live close to Disney. We will see how this trip goes to see if I could handle it on a more permanent basis. I am very jealous of you, though that you are so close and can go often. Which is a good thing for Anakin that you can experience a little at a time. I'll go back to finish reading the rest of your report now. LOL
__________________
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
davebon23 is offline  
Old 03-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #156
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,919

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post

We haven't had the luxury of gong to Pin Trading Events, but my children LOVE it as well. I am glad you are reliving some GREAT MEMORIES and making new ones, that is AWESOME!!!! I have to laugh about the Pin Auctions...been there, done that!!!! How COOL that you are in the video!!!
Are there special pins your kids collect? Anakin has been trading for the pins of the Toy Story Mania "prizes". He got the last one of that set today at the WOD store. I use to collect sparkly Tink pins. Grumpy collected Chip and Dale. And Goofy collected Stitch and Haunted Mansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebon23 View Post
I am glad you have been able to keep Anakin cooled down. The frozen waters are a good idea. The heat and I are not best friends. I tend to get overheated easily. My DS, who is now 16 is always hot. He doesn't even want to wear a coat here in Jersey in the winter. And we had a TON of snow this year. LOL. My kids have seem to have outgrown the seizures as they haven't had any in some time. We are blessed. I know you have to deal with this all of the time with Anakin and it must be a worry for you.

We have been to Disney in August once before. This will be our second time then and it will be a true test of how we will tolerate the heat. My DH is almost ready to retire and is convinced we should move to FL and live close to Disney. We will see how this trip goes to see if I could handle it on a more permanent basis. I am very jealous of you, though that you are so close and can go often. Which is a good thing for Anakin that you can experience a little at a time. I'll go back to finish reading the rest of your report now. LOL
So glad to hear they have outgrown their seizures!

For us, it was a worry in the beginning. There were so many unknowns. Epilepsy.com has a section called Epilepsy 101, it was very helpful. Also the Florida Epilepsy Foundation has been an invaluable source. Unfortunately, they are not in our county, however since he is under 18 they will help him. His last big seizure was Feb 1. He had some small ones a week ago last Wednesday, making Thursday a rough day being postictal. His balance was a bit off that day and he was tired.

We try not to worry about him. We handle things as they come, and try to live in the now, while being prepared at the same time.

I see in your siggie you are staying at FQ in August. We are staying there in Sept. We've never stayed there before, but have stayed at POR.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #157
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,919

This weekend, I'm hoping to check out the new Mickey Greet area that now has fastpass to see Mickey. Anything else I should check out and report back on?
lovethattink is offline  
Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #158
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,564

I would love to hear how the mickey meet n greet works. Luke will probably want to do that. I do have one question, how do you do cs with Anakin? Do you have one parent find a table and sit with him while the other orders, do you order and take to a quiet place outdoors? This trip we are on the QSDP and I think those places are always so crowded and chaotic, not entirely sure how Luke will handle them. Any suggestions?
sl_underwood is offline  
Old 04-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #159
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,919

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
I would love to hear how the mickey meet n greet works. Luke will probably want to do that. I do have one question, how do you do cs with Anakin? Do you have one parent find a table and sit with him while the other orders, do you order and take to a quiet place outdoors? This trip we are on the QSDP and I think those places are always so crowded and chaotic, not entirely sure how Luke will handle them. Any suggestions?
In our back pack we always keep a few of those Lego figures, or something to build. If I'm feeling particularly strong, I'll bring a DK Ultimate Star Wars Sticker book, but those get heavy carrying them around and I don't trust leaving it in the stroller, (would hate for it to walk away).

While one of us goes in line, the other sits at the table with Anakin. Sometimes he prefers to play alone, other times he will want someone to play with him. He really enjoys being helpful and getting the napkins, straws, and ketchup.

His favorite eating places:

Pinochio Haus - you can watch the Small World attraction and wave to people if you sit at a window seat.

Cosmic Rays Starlight Cafe - He loves sitting and watching Sunny Eclipse and has been known to break out in dance.

The Mara at AKL - he loves looking at the animals after eating, and watching the tv while eating. Usually no toys required here as long as he is near the tv.

The Riverside Mill at POR - he loves watching the giant water wheel spin. Also enjoys the kiddie area of the food court that has a coloring table and tv. At certain times of day a cm will come and read a story to the children.

Everything Pop - there is a section off to the left that is usually quieter than the rest of the food court, but this section isn't always opened.

He only likes the All Star Movie's food court because of the grilled cheese sandwich. But he often has his hands over his ears there when large groups are there.

He does not like eating at Flame Tree BBQ because it's outside where it's hot.

He likes the Comissary because of all the tvs. He doesn't like the Back Lot for some reason and gets very hyperactive in there. We haven't figured out why.

Hope this helps.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #160
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Are there special pins your kids collect? Anakin has been trading for the pins of the Toy Story Mania "prizes". He got the last one of that set today at the WOD store. I use to collect sparkly Tink pins. Grumpy collected Chip and Dale. And Goofy collected Stitch and Haunted Mansion.
They always seem to change, BUT, I love Haunted Mansion, Minnie, Princesses and the holidays, Pete loves the old style Mickey, and older style pins, Christian likes Pirates, Stitch, Haunted Mansion, David LOVES the trains, Stitch, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Rachel loves the Princesses, Tinkerbell, anything with a guitar, Lisa loves the Princesses, especially Belle or Rapunzel, Splash Mountain and Minnie...of course, it always changes!


So glad to hear they have outgrown their seizures!

For us, it was a worry in the beginning. There were so many unknowns. Epilepsy.com has a section called Epilepsy 101, it was very helpful. Also the Florida Epilepsy Foundation has been an invaluable source. Unfortunately, they are not in our county, however since he is under 18 they will help him. His last big seizure was Feb 1. He had some small ones a week ago last Wednesday, making Thursday a rough day being postictal. His balance was a bit off that day and he was tired.
I don't like the post-ictal phases...So sorry to hear about the rough days...glad he gets some help!

I am looking forward to hearing about the meet and greet!
blessedmom4 is offline  
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #161
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
In our back pack we always keep a few of those Lego figures, or something to build. If I'm feeling particularly strong, I'll bring a DK Ultimate Star Wars Sticker book, but those get heavy carrying them around and I don't trust leaving it in the stroller, (would hate for it to walk away).

While one of us goes in line, the other sits at the table with Anakin. Sometimes he prefers to play alone, other times he will want someone to play with him. He really enjoys being helpful and getting the napkins, straws, and ketchup.

His favorite eating places:

Pinochio Haus - you can watch the Small World attraction and wave to people if you sit at a window seat.

Cosmic Rays Starlight Cafe - He loves sitting and watching Sunny Eclipse and has been known to break out in dance.

The Mara at AKL - he loves looking at the animals after eating, and watching the tv while eating. Usually no toys required here as long as he is near the tv.

The Riverside Mill at POR - he loves watching the giant water wheel spin. Also enjoys the kiddie area of the food court that has a coloring table and tv. At certain times of day a cm will come and read a story to the children.

Everything Pop - there is a section off to the left that is usually quieter than the rest of the food court, but this section isn't always opened.

He only likes the All Star Movie's food court because of the grilled cheese sandwich. But he often has his hands over his ears there when large groups are there.

He does not like eating at Flame Tree BBQ because it's outside where it's hot.

He likes the Comissary because of all the tvs. He doesn't like the Back Lot for some reason and gets very hyperactive in there. We haven't figured out why.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for sharing. We can easily pack some lego figures for Luke to play with. I think it could help in keeping him occupied. However, he tends to have trouble in crowded rooms and CS places are usually very crowded. Last trip, we had a meltdown in Pizza Planet, but he did very well at Pinnochio and Pizzafari. I am wondering if it would be better to upset his schedule and eat at off times when restaurants are less busy or if that would cause more problems. What do you think?
sl_underwood is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #162
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,919

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
Thanks for sharing. We can easily pack some lego figures for Luke to play with. I think it could help in keeping him occupied. However, he tends to have trouble in crowded rooms and CS places are usually very crowded. Last trip, we had a meltdown in Pizza Planet, but he did very well at Pinnochio and Pizzafari. I am wondering if it would be better to upset his schedule and eat at off times when restaurants are less busy or if that would cause more problems. What do you think?
We generally eat lunch when the restaurant opens. Anakin is a huge breakfast eater although he won't touch traditional breakfast foods. For example, when we arrive at MK we sometimes stop at the bakery for a turkey sandwich for him. We generally try to eat lunch at 11am or 2pm, and those times usually work out ok. For supper, it's 5 or 8. Most counter service close an hour before the park closes, except for Columbia Harbour House seems to close earlier.

Anakin has problems at Pizza Planet too, I wonder if it's all the lights blinking and sounds from the video games?

Often they have sections closed when a restaurant first opens. You might be able to find a manager and explain about the noise level and ask if you could have a table in the closed section. The worse they can say is no.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #163
davebon23
Mouseketeer
 
davebon23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Are there special pins your kids collect? Anakin has been trading for the pins of the Toy Story Mania "prizes". He got the last one of that set today at the WOD store. I use to collect sparkly Tink pins. Grumpy collected Chip and Dale. And Goofy collected Stitch and Haunted Mansion.



So glad to hear they have outgrown their seizures!

For us, it was a worry in the beginning. There were so many unknowns. Epilepsy.com has a section called Epilepsy 101, it was very helpful. Also the Florida Epilepsy Foundation has been an invaluable source. Unfortunately, they are not in our county, however since he is under 18 they will help him. His last big seizure was Feb 1. He had some small ones a week ago last Wednesday, making Thursday a rough day being postictal. His balance was a bit off that day and he was tired.

We try not to worry about him. We handle things as they come, and try to live in the now, while being prepared at the same time.

I see in your siggie you are staying at FQ in August. We are staying there in Sept. We've never stayed there before, but have stayed at POR.
Sorry to hear Anakin had a rough day. I hope he snaps out of it as fast as they come.

This will be our second time staying at FQ. You will love it. It is very serene and peaceful there. Not too big either, so that may be a plus for you guys. The pool was nice. But it's also nice to take a nice walk over to Riverside or catch the boat over there. The paths and walkways were very quiet from what I recall. I really enjoyed staying there. I am so, so jealous you guys get to go so often.
__________________
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
davebon23 is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #164
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,919

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
I would love to hear how the mickey meet n greet works. Luke will probably want to do that.
We did not get to the Mickey Meet and Greet this weekend. Anakin was so sleepy. I tried to wake him up a few times, but he needed more rest. In the meantime, I got a call from friends to meet them at the Golden Corral for lunch then Epcot. So that's what Anakin and I did, while Goofy worked and Grumpy worked on his new fish tank and school work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebon23 View Post

This will be our second time staying at FQ. You will love it. It is very serene and peaceful there. Not too big either, so that may be a plus for you guys. The pool was nice. But it's also nice to take a nice walk over to Riverside or catch the boat over there. The paths and walkways were very quiet from what I recall. I really enjoyed staying there. I am so, so jealous you guys get to go so often.
Have you seen pictures of the new refurbished rooms? Looks beautiful! And queen size beds! Though I really hope something opens up at CSR to switch to.

Even when we lived in PA we went often. Every few years we bought an Annual Pass and would space trips 11 months apart, then skip a year. Back then you needed to go 9 days to equal out. We stopped booking packages and did room only AP rates.

It was very hard to move from PA to FL and leave family behind. It was nice when my dad retired and my parents would stay a month or two with us. Now his health is ailing, hopefully he will make it back here to FL. My parents have annual passes too. He had a stroke heading home from our house in June, but he is on the road to recovery!
lovethattink is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #165
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,919

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
I don't like the post-ictal phases...So sorry to hear about the rough days...glad he gets some help!

I am looking forward to hearing about the meet and greet!
We didn't get to the Mickey meet and greet as explained above. However, we did get to meet and greet a wonderful DISer! We met SmileyCrissy today! What a wonderful person, and she does have a great smile! We met at The Land, rode Test Track, and did the Piggy Bank Adventure.
lovethattink is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: