Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #136
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
You're welcome! I hope it works out well for you. I'd like to buy one of them for Anakin, but they are so expensive and he can still squeeze into his stroller.
Can you check with your dr and get a scrip for one? It has taken us about 6 months but my kids wheel chairs are ordered and should be in soon. We went with Wheelchairs because they can push them by themselves too.

All 5 kids have these ear muffs we got them for the car races but Jason's wears his all the time at home
tinytreasures is offline  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #137
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,707

Even though he is mobile, both his pediatrician and his occupational therapist think that he should be able to get approved for either medical stroller or wheelchair with a 5 point harness because of his tendency to run when frightened and his endurance issues.
lovethattink is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #138
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran
 
tinytreasures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,696

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Even though he is mobile, both his pediatrician and his occupational therapist think that he should be able to get approved for either medical stroller or wheelchair with a 5 point harness because of his tendency to run when frightened and his endurance issues.
Avy and Hayden both are getting Quickie 2's. Jason has a ottobock (sp) Lisa stroller. We went with the wheel chairs this time over the stroller so they could push themselves if they need too. Hayden did way better then I thought he would pushing.
We are taking all 3 with us plus Ella's stroller
tinytreasures is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #139
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,707

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
Avy and Hayden both are getting Quickie 2's. Jason has a ottobock (sp) Lisa stroller. We went with the wheel chairs this time over the stroller so they could push themselves if they need too. Hayden did way better then I thought he would pushing.
We are taking all 3 with us plus Ella's stroller
I guess I need to catch up on your PRT. How many adults are going? Most of Disney is level so it should be no problem, but the monorail ramps can get a little tricky at the TTC with their steepness. It's hard to slow down going down the hill and difficult pushing up.

At PT they are working on Anakin's endurance level, as we are at home too. In January he had to stop every few minutes to catch his breath or sit down for a break. He is up to nearly 30 minutes of continuous activity now!! Kind of an oxymoron, since he has ADHD and is like the energizer bunny, but wears out quickly with physical activity. The interactive metronome worked him up to 1 hour of physical activity 3 days a week. Our goal is to go to Disney for a couple hours and not have to use the stroller at all. But he needs more CBT, and social stories so he remembers to stay with us.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #140
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,707

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPeanut&Bug View Post
lol, this made me smile. I hear myself saying things like, "See, there's a good reason I told you _________, I'm not as stupid as I look!" WAY too often.
There was yet another lesson to be learned on Friday night....

You know how we tell our children not to put their mouths on the railings, and not to touch everything because there are germs on it?

First of all, my son tells me that the railings are good because they are cold and also because of the pressure sensation he gets when leaning on it. He can't SEE these germs I am talking about.

We were in line at Test track following our ride on Soarin'. He was having a very difficult time leaving the railings alone. Even a cm had to ask him not to sit or hang on the railings.

We got into the preshow room, and he still couldn't leave the rail alone, and was trying to go under it. So I held his hands, and he leaned back against me.

We left the room and again, those railings were like strong magnets pulling both his hands and face to them. He was not the only child that these railings had power over. The younger kids near us, were following his lead, and that mom was none to happy. I got out the hand santizer or "hanizitzer" as Anakin calls it. And side tracked him for a few seconds with it.

Just as he was rubbing his hands together, we heard people in the next row squealing out in disgust. Someone ahead of them had left a hocker ON THE RAIL. Gross!! But now that Anakin could visibly see germs on the rail, he would not touch any of the railings. He walked in front of me and asked me to hold both of his hands. Hopefully he will remember this, but not go over the edge with this!!













After the ride, we tried out some cars. I had never noticed the crash dummy sitting on a seat between cars. Have you?

Also never noticed the red car in the store. Did you?

A cm was playing with a remote control car. They allowed Anakin to play too. And kept telling him it's only $32 to buy that orange car. And they had a red one too. It was very heard to get him out of the store!!
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #142
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
At PT they are working on Anakin's endurance level, as we are at home too. In January he had to stop every few minutes to catch his breath or sit down for a break. He is up to nearly 30 minutes of continuous activity now!! Kind of an oxymoron, since he has ADHD and is like the energizer bunny, but wears out quickly with physical activity. The interactive metronome worked him up to 1 hour of physical activity 3 days a week. Our goal is to go to Disney for a couple hours and not have to use the stroller at all. But he needs more CBT, and social stories so he remembers to stay with us.
Lol... I know exactly what you mean. Luke also has ADHD but has low endurance. We were unable to get a special needs stroller or wheelchair through insurance, however, he is on state insurance (the same one he was on while in foster care) it was part of our adoption subsidy package and at the time I didnt want it but glad we took it as our insurance wont cover anything they deem pre existing which is about everything!
sl_underwood is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #143
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,707

We are blessed that our insurance covers pre-existing conditions for members under 18 years old. It costs an arm and a leg, but that part of it alone is worth it!
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #144
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytreasures View Post
Can you check with your dr and get a scrip for one? It has taken us about 6 months but my kids wheel chairs are ordered and should be in soon. We went with Wheelchairs because they can push them by themselves too.

All 5 kids have these ear muffs we got them for the car races but Jason's wears his all the time at home
Just ordered a pair of these. Hopefully, they will help us get through the fireworks. I have yet to see wishes or illuminations. Would love it if we could!
sl_underwood is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #145
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,707

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_underwood View Post
Just ordered a pair of these. Hopefully, they will help us get through the fireworks. I have yet to see wishes or illuminations. Would love it if we could!
I have considered ordering them. But he hates wearing the earphones for the therapeutic listening. He sweats so much around the ears with them on. I do see them and those orange ones from Walmart's hunting section often at the parks.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #146
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.
 
blessedmom4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.
Posts: 4,431

Hi Tink, I am FINALLY caught up on everything, you have been BUSY!!!! I hope you can get some wheels for Anakin, that will help a LOT I am certain. We LOVE Lisa's EZ Rider (we have big wheels on the back, but not large enough for her to push...all I need is smashed fingers)! She gets around that by grabbing things around us and pulling herself forward or pushing off from walls sometimes...too funny. It fits well in our van which is a good thing since I have a lot to move around sometimes. I thought that was so funny when you said you see family more now than when you lived near them...ahhh, the lure of Disney! Looking forward to MORE!!!!
blessedmom4 is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #147
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,707

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Hi Tink, I am FINALLY caught up on everything, you have been BUSY!!!! I hope you can get some wheels for Anakin, that will help a LOT I am certain. We LOVE Lisa's EZ Rider (we have big wheels on the back, but not large enough for her to push...all I need is smashed fingers)! She gets around that by grabbing things around us and pulling herself forward or pushing off from walls sometimes...too funny. It fits well in our van which is a good thing since I have a lot to move around sometimes. I thought that was so funny when you said you see family more now than when you lived near them...ahhh, the lure of Disney! Looking forward to MORE!!!!
For now he has wheels, his baby stroller. He looks like baby huey in it. We get stares, but he is oblivious to the looks or comments. He just knows when his legs are tired he wants to sit. Sadly, the sunshade on his stroller was broken while it was parked outside of Journey into Imagination on Friday.

It's not that big of a deal, except that he used the sunshade to "hide" from overstimulation. I found an old, vented fishing hat of Grumpy and he wore that yesterday at the MK and put it over his face a couple times.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #148
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,707

Yesterday we went to the Polynesian for dessert with relatives who are snow birds. After enjoying a wonderful time with them and showing them around on the monorail. We moved our car over to the TTC and went into the MK for a couple hours.

We met Goofy's aunt and uncle for lunch after church on Sunday then drove over to WDW for a pineapple dole whip at the Poly...YUM!!!









Hopped on the monorail and showed them the GF. Then hopped back on the monorail back to the Poly. They headed home, and we drove to the TTC to spend a couple hours at the MK.















I love the fresh floral arrangement at the GF!!















Each time we got in line for the monorail, there was no line, and the monorail was timed perfectly that we didn't have to wait, just walked right on it. I was shocked that the monorail station at the MK was so empty in the afternoon. It was only on March 13th that we had gone and the park was swamped with people. Remember the stroller parking at Columbia Harbour House, or the crowd pics I took? Not like that yesterday at all!!






There is such a nice dance area with Stitch, Goofy and Chip and Dale. The characters each approached us, but Anakin didn't care about them yesterday, he was more concerned about the CM with pin lanyards who accompanied them.








One of Anakin's favorite things at the MK is the piano man outside of Casey's Corner. He isn't one to usually sit still for long, but he gets mesmorized listening to him.




After he had finished his song, he spent a long time talking about trading pins with Anakin. He explained that he isn't allowed to wear a lanyard while playing the piano, but he comes in on his days off and wears a lanyard. He was really great with Anakin!!

I think we have a new area of hyperfocus...pin trading.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #149
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12,707

Just a couple quick FYI's

The handicap entrance for the Tea cups is to the right of the main entrance around the fence. The main queue does not accomodate a wheel chair.

There was no alternate entrance to see Rapunzel and Flynn. My suggestion is to arrive early, make sure you visit the restroom before waiting in line, and bring something to keep cool. It was in the high 80's on Sunday afternoon, so we didn't venture in line. But when we do, I will be sure to be armed with frozen waters to keep Anakin cool, and an umbrella to shade from the sun.

Also the TTA does not have a handicapped entrance. If you are in a wheel chair, you need to be able to get up the ramp and though the queue on the upper level.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #150
MyPeanut&Bug
Mouseketeer
 
MyPeanut&Bug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 365

Too cute about Anakin being so into the pins! Has he not been into them before? The piano man sounds like he was just awesome with him!
__________________
Alicia & Buddy DS (9) DD (7)
April/May 1996 - My first trip at age 18 after years of begging! - PO
April/May 1998 - CBR
August 2002 - Honeymoon after our Cinderella wedding! - POR
May 2009 - ASMo- First trip with kids!
March 2011 - Grandma came along for the fun too! - ASMo
MyPeanut&Bug is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: