Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Just back - never again at spring break!

We left this morning. When my kids were little -- we think our first trip was '97 - we went during spring break several times in about 7 years - never had much of an issue. We went during spring break 4 years ago - crowded but manageable. This year -- nuts. NUTS, I tell you! Maybe it's because of the specific week -- right before an early Easter -- but never again during spring break. MK was elbow to elbow in certain areas, closed to capacity for parts of every day last week; ride times in Epcot and HS were over 2-1/2 hours for several rides (who would do that?). But I think the cold temps kept certain activities down -- I never had to stand in a line for a Dole Whip .

Couple of things -- the balloon ride at DTD is AWESOME. We tried to go on Wednesday, but it was too windy. You have to be flexible on this. We were able to do it yesterday, though. I loved it!

Photopass -- one of the photogs took our pic in Epcot - we were wearing happy anniv buttons -- and we saw him two or three days later at DTD -- he remembered us and our buttons! How fab is that!

Fantasmic dining -- we got the box lunch from Min & Bill's (after reading about it on the Dis). The food was pretty good, the price wasn't bad. We asked for seating for the 2nd show -- there were fewer than 40 people in the reserved section last night! Couldn't believe it!!! Again, maybe it was the cold, but both end sections were left empty, two or three sections were filled, and they finally opened our section up to the rest of the audience. It's well worth doing. This worked out really well!

The new Little Mermaid ride in MK -- meh. So glad I did it with a Fastpass and didn't stand in line. This and the Nemo ride in Epcot are, for anyone older than 4, wastes of time. For what this cost, couldn't they have come up with something better?

Be our Guest -- I did wait in line for this (DH was golfing, so why not) -- gorgeous! But PRICEY for lunch. Nearly $20 for steak sandwich, cupcake and soda. Wow! But cool to do once.

And just a quick note from DSIL - we met DB and DSIL and their kids at Coronado (they were staying there). They ran back to the room to change before we all had dinner, and when they got to their room, the door was open. DSIL flipped, sent DB down to the restaurant, and insisted that a manager come up. It was likely that housekeeping had just not pulled the door all the way shut (happened to me as well a couple of years ago), but she got the manager to comp one night of their stay and he sent a huge floral bouquet to them as well. I didn't make anywhere near as much a fuss when it happened to me at Pop, but hey, anything could have been taken (nothing was, fortunately), or there could have been someone in there when they went in. You have to be careful!

And if you were in Epcot on Tuesday, and witnessed a young man in an ECV have an accident that required paramedics-- That was my nephew -- he had major knee surgery two weeks ago, and had been doing really well, but this set him back a little bit, but he's ok. (I've seen people posting wondering about someone they saw have an accident, just thought I'd update)

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
Maybe it's because of the specific week -- right before an early Easter --
Yep, I think that's the key.

We have done spring break every year since 2008, but it has never been the week between Palm Sunday and Easter -- and we have never experienced a park closing because of filling to capacity (as Magic Kingdom has done the past four days of this current Palm Sunday to Easter week).
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
ekendall2
Mouseketeer

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. I just back yesterday from a spring break trip to Disney. It was crazy!!!!!!

I usually go in early june so i was not used to 100+ minutes on things.

Definitely like early june better.

Old Key West - Oct 2015, CBR 2014, Off Site (Choir Trip) 2013, CBR 2011, POP 2009, ASMusic 2007, POR 2004, Off site (H.S. Band Trip) 2001, CBR 1999, CBR 1996, CBR 1994,
CBR 1992, Off Site 1991
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing! Sorry about your nephew! Hope you had a good time!
My husband and I got to ride the little mermaid last October one day when they were letting people in. Restaurant wasn't opened to us though! We tried! LOL! You sound like me about the Little mermaid ride. I thought its like Nemo! LOL! The Cave had alot of detail and I guess anyone who loves the little mermaid will probably love it! I enjoyed it! I just expected a little more from Disney, too! LOL!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

I agree that it is because this is the week leading up to Easter. I read that the week between Christmas and New Year's and the week leading up to Easter are the two busiest weeks of the year at WDW; but not having to wait in line for a Dole Whip is pretty magical though
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

We leave tomorrow and I actually thought the whole trip went much better than we anticipated. We were able to do everything we wanted, as long as we got to the parks early. Epcot was really empty both nights we went. We were in MK during a Phase 3 and I thought they did a great job with keeping traffic moving especially in the Peter Pan area. Everything was open, fully staffed and operational. Loved the long park hours and the full show schedules. Characters and performers were everywhere and lines weren't bad for the meet and greets. I thought they did a great job of spreading the crowds throughout the parks. I was even able to change a few dining reservations around. LOVED the boxed Fantasmic meal at DHS. It was a great deal and very convenient.

It was busy, but I would definitely do the week before Easter again. It was no where near as bad as we expected, as long as we got moving in the morning!

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
kymom99
DIS Veteran

We rode the Little Mermaid ride at DL last summer. It was okay, but not something I would worry about riding again. There wasn't much of a wait out there, but I think that might be because everyone was in Carsland!
June 2008: POFQ
June 2009: Cape Cod
June 2010: CBR The whole gang!
July 2011: Holiday World, Vegas NYNY
July 2012: 1st trip to Disneyland!
June 2013: Siesta Key and RCCL Bahamas
June 2014: Pittsburgh, PA
Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
carpeperdiem
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
We were in MK during a Phase 3 and I thought they did a great job with keeping traffic moving especially in the Peter Pan area.
Agreed.
We were in MK on Thursday and it went phase 3 about 11am. It was quite challenging to move around in the 11a-2p time.

As we were walking past Peter Pan - Small World, a line of CMs formed a human barricade - to force guests walking to Fantasyland to one side and those walking away to the other. A CM joked, "I'm the painted line in the middle of the road".

WDW management had all hands on. Most foodservice locations had teams of extra CMs to help find tables. There were CMs everywhere.

We had an exceptionally easy morning, even with EMH - by 10:30am, we tackled most of fantasyland. Belle - about 16 minutes at 8:12am. Under The Sea - no wait at all at 8:45am - But by 10am we started to feel the almost 59,000 people in the park, and by 11am, it was starting to get to me. The insanity trying to get a fastpass for thunder mtn -- the line to GET a fastpass was almost 15 minutes!

We received red "line tracking" cards at many attractions. It appears that management really want to know how lines are tracking.

We ultimately gave up on many things, simply because of the insanity. But we knew that we were coming back on Monday and Tuesday - so we'll make sure we get to our most wanted things from 8a-11a each day.

Final thought for now -- the weakest link for our experience on Thursday was getting to/from transp center. Monorail was down in the evening at 7pm-ish and the ferry boats were running at over-capacity. They needed to run more boats and use a 2nd dock. Making a boat of hundreds of customers wait in the middle of the lake for an open dock makes for irritable customers.

We were at AK today - a great day even with the heavy crowds. We were there before 8am and we got through the E rides before the big crowds.

Doing the same at HS tomorrow.

Hopefully, MK will be less insane after Easter.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
CarolinaGirlTiss
Mouseketeer

We leave Sunday and come back the following Sunday. Have five days in the parks. We won't be able to get our tickets till Monday morning so I think we will do AK on the first day since there doesn't seem to be as much to do there as there is at other parks. I am hoping the crowds will die down some with it being the week after Easter. I am a teacher and I am going on my spring break. Sadly the times I can go our usually the busiest and I tried summer three years ago and felt like I was gonna melt. Can't do that again. My dream trip is to go at Thanksgiving or Christmas and see the park decorated but there again, a highly populated time!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
iheartdisney
DIS Veteran

My mom went with my cousin and her son last week, and she says that WDW was much better than Universal- They had to stand in line for an hour and a half to get a ticket to come back in 3 hours just to get into the Harry Potter area of the park!!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Any clue if Min and Bill's box lunch will be a regular deal? I thought it was just a limited time at Christmas. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

I've moved this thread to the Trip Reports board.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds
Any clue if Min and Bill's box lunch will be a regular deal? I thought it was just a limited time at Christmas. Thanks!
The Taste of Hollywood box lunches are only being offered for these two weeks around Easter/Spring Break. They really look good!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
3Leafs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23

Fantasmic dining -- we got the box lunch from Min & Bill's (after reading about it on the Dis). The food was pretty good, the price wasn't bad. We asked for seating for the 2nd show -- there were fewer than 40 people in the reserved section last night! Couldn't believe it!!! Again, maybe it was the cold, but both end sections were left empty, two or three sections were filled, and they finally opened our section up to the rest of the audience. It's well worth doing. This worked out really well!
Did you call to preorder this or did you just walk up? I am hoping to do this on Monday
Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23
And if you were in Epcot on Tuesday, and witnessed a young man in an ECV have an accident that required paramedics-- That was my nephew -- he had major knee surgery two weeks ago, and had been doing really well, but this set him back a little bit, but he's ok. (I've seen people posting wondering about someone they saw have an accident, just thought I'd update)
Glad he is okay! That seriously stinks to get hurt at Disney ....especially when he was just in the process of healing :-(

Did the ECV tip over on him? I drove one for the first time last month and nearly tipped it by pulling too hard on accelerator while turning.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: