Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
valvalis
Earning My Ears

Thumbs down Le Cellier Disappoints

My wife and I absolutely loved Le Cellier last October prior to its Signature conversion. We were on the dining plan so price wasn't a big issue but we ended up loving the food, romantic atmosphere, and server so much that we decided to pay out of pocket for our trip this week.

Well, it seems like the place has gotten worse with the price increase. The place was literally half empty even though it was completely booked. We were seated 30 minutes before our reservation time so it started off well. We were shown the "new" Signature desserts and taken to our seats. The Chocolate Whiskey Cake we loved last time was gone.

Our waitress was slow and not attentive. It took her 10 minutes to get our drinks and she ended up getting my drink wrong (Diet Coke instead of regular Coke). I thought their coke was just bad this year so I ended up getting a water after the first one -- didn't realize it was Diet until we got the bill.

20 minutes after ordering we finally got our bread. Another 30 or so and we finally got our food. My New York Strip was pretty charred and the new Red Wine Reduction sauce was a huge step down from the "Bercy Butter" version they used to have for Dinner (I believe they still have it at lunch). For some reason they justify a $10 price difference there. The pork my wife had last year was the same, just more expensive.

Dessert came 20 minutes after we'd wanted it because our waiter was MIA as usual... the trio of chocolates was pretty lacking. The chocolate ice cream tasted like Breyers. Not a bad thing, but a tiny scoop of ice cream for $4 better be excellent. The cake-like thing was minty and odd. My wife liked what appeared to be cheesecake of some sort.

The couple next to us had an even worse experience. The gentleman was super disappointed that they got rid of his prime rib that he loved before and the waiter kept telling him that nobody liked it and it was gross. Very unprofessional. The kitchen also ended up losing their order twice and they were just getting their main course when we left (they got there 5 minutes after us and their food came 45 minutes after ours).

The best part of Le Cellier is still their pretzel bread and that's free. The great service, food, and atmosphere seem to be gone I know there's many people that still love it -- we really enjoyed it last time. I don't think I'll be returning again after a $106 meal left the two of us quite disappointed.
valvalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
catne
DIS Veteran

oh, too bad it wasn't what you expected. We're still debating whether or not we'll try it as signature place...might just give it a bit of time to "settle" into the sig. niche better.

Did you look at the lunch menu...I think a lot of the former dishes are still available at lunch (and 1 TS credit for lunch, too.) Maybe you'd be able to get your faves then. I know I've read some good reviews of lunch lately so it seems to be the signature premise they're having issues with.

Thanks for taking time to review for us, by the way. Love to see reviews of "new" places.
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
valvalis
Earning My Ears

Yeah, the lunch menu definitely looks better. I'm open to trying it again for lunch but we weren't able to get ADRs for any lunch openings the week we're here. Maybe next time!
valvalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

OP, our first trip to LC was a mix of both experiences described..slow service, coupled with lack luster food. Our ressie was for 8:30 and finally received our entree around 10:20. We asked for to go boxes. Our next visit was perfect..other times just okay.

LC, definitely, seems to be a hit or miss.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your review. I happened to really enjoy 3 dinners at the new Le Cellier, despite an incredibly disappointing lunch experience just 2 months earlier. The service was both friendly and efficient all 3 times, and I enjoyed everything I tried. I didn't think the chocolate sorbet tasted like Breyers - the sorbet was icy, cool, and not creamy at all (if they have changed it to ice cream since then, I would be upset). And I loved the lemon cheesecake because it was light and didn't have an overpowering citrus flavor.

One of the things your review indicates to me is that Le Cellier dinner is inconsistent - while I had positive experiences with the new signature dinner, LC is prone to bad nights just like any other signature restaurant (to us, California Grill is the only signature where the food is consistently good). The bad service is a shame, but once again I cannot say that service has always been good at any restaurant.

Another thing is that people's reaction to the new dinner largely depends on their previous experiences there. After a disastrous lunch, everything at dinner was a huge step up to me, and I thought it was well worth the price increase. You seemed to miss dishes that had been on the menu before, while simultaneously noting the price increase.

I am already disappointed that Le Cellier has removed some unique dishes (duck, cod, crab and apple salad, etc) from its menu. And the increasing number of negative reviews isn't helping. If I continue to enjoy the food there, I'll keep returning, but the inconsistency is a bit disconcerting (I can't say it's surprising, though).
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
annichan
There's a platypus controlling me, he's underneath the table

That does not sound good at all ... We had a great experience there last October too, sad to hear that it may have gone downhill from there. It seems strange, though, that they still offer the "better" food at lunch where they only charge one credit - looks like they definitely need to work on their concept a bit more.

2005: It all started with DLP Disneyland Paris (3 nights) / 2009: Honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge (15 nights)
2010: Magic Western Caribbean, then BCV (11 nights) / 2011: Magic Mediterranean Cruise (Magic, 11 nights)
2011: Our return to Disneyland Resort Paris (4 nights) / August 2012: NYC to Castaway Cay and Canada (B2B, Magic, 13 nights)
2013: Westbound Panama Canal Cruise (Wonder, 14 nights) + 3 days at Disneyland / 2014: Westbound Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean (B2B, Magic, 21 nights)

annichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvalis View Post
My wife and I absolutely loved Le Cellier last October prior to its Signature conversion. We were on the dining plan so price wasn't a big issue but we ended up loving the food, romantic atmosphere, and server so much that we decided to pay out of pocket for our trip this week.

Well, it seems like the place has gotten worse with the price increase. The place was literally half empty even though it was completely booked. We were seated 30 minutes before our reservation time so it started off well. We were shown the "new" Signature desserts and taken to our seats. The Chocolate Whiskey Cake we loved last time was gone.

Our waitress was slow and not attentive. It took her 10 minutes to get our drinks and she ended up getting my drink wrong (Diet Coke instead of regular Coke). I thought their coke was just bad this year so I ended up getting a water after the first one -- didn't realize it was Diet until we got the bill.

20 minutes after ordering we finally got our bread. Another 30 or so and we finally got our food. My New York Strip was pretty charred and the new Red Wine Reduction sauce was a huge step down from the "Bercy Butter" version they used to have for Dinner (I believe they still have it at lunch). For some reason they justify a $10 price difference there. The pork my wife had last year was the same, just more expensive.

Dessert came 20 minutes after we'd wanted it because our waiter was MIA as usual... the trio of chocolates was pretty lacking. The chocolate ice cream tasted like Breyers. Not a bad thing, but a tiny scoop of ice cream for $4 better be excellent. The cake-like thing was minty and odd. My wife liked what appeared to be cheesecake of some sort.

The couple next to us had an even worse experience. The gentleman was super disappointed that they got rid of his prime rib that he loved before and the waiter kept telling him that nobody liked it and it was gross. Very unprofessional. The kitchen also ended up losing their order twice and they were just getting their main course when we left (they got there 5 minutes after us and their food came 45 minutes after ours).

The best part of Le Cellier is still their pretzel bread and that's free. The great service, food, and atmosphere seem to be gone I know there's many people that still love it -- we really enjoyed it last time. I don't think I'll be returning again after a $106 meal left the two of us quite disappointed.
Thank you for posting your honest review of LC. Its nice to hear all opinions about restaurants, good or bad. Its a shame you had a bad experience and had to dish out $106 OOP....I know i'd be pissed! .....I havent dined at LC since they changed it to 2 TS at dinner, so I cant comment on the dinner, but i have tried their lunch. I admit I was hugely disappointed with the food. And the service was so-so....not the worst, but certainly not the best. The best part I guess were the mashed potatoes and the bread. But I wouldnt go as far to say that the bread was the best i've had, cause it wasnt. Im glad I dined at LC thou, only because I was curious about the place and the hype. But I probably wont be back for a while....only cause I like to try new things. And there are sooo many other exciting places i havent tried yet.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
River Country
DIS Jedi

Ate there last week

Going back in December and will eat there again

It was excellent, however, not the best IMO in WDW...That honor goes to Cali Grill
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Addicted to Dopey
Newt's Posse

my fiance and i will be saving our money for Cali Grill and the like. I don't think the increased prices for some of the same exact items makes any sense! I will miss the soup, but we have been playing around with the idea of just going for a soup and pretzel bread lunch!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
WDWisTheBest
This is better than plan one
I hope the clean up efforts are swift

Thanks for your dining review. Your server did not meet your needs and that seems to have set the tone for the whole visit.
WDWisTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
jones235
I pray that Heaven is just like Disney World.

LeCellier

I'm glad to hear honest opinions about any restaurant. We've always wanted to try it & even got ressies for our Oct trip but after reading so many mixed reviews we decided to cancel. We're on the free DDP but I really wanted to go for the cheese soup & pretzel bread so we chose to cancel the ressie for Captain's Grille instead. CG seems to be consistent & we can get a taste of the soup & pretzel bread at the F&W festival.

If we see in the future that LC becomes more consistent, we may try to score another ressie but until then we'll use our DDP credits elsewhere.
jones235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you were not happy with LC. We have not dined there since it turned into a signature but I have it on the list for Oct...not because it is now a fancy dancy place but because we have always enjoyed eating there in the past and it has been 3 years since our last meal there.

I think all places can have off service and food...the first time we at at Cali Grill it was incredible. The second time the food was horrible.....but we will give it another shot in Oct as well and hope for a better meal than the last time.
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
tomthebarncat
DIS Veteran

Get Ready...

Get ready for the Disney fanatic's version of the Spainish Inquistion. People love this place, not sure why, as I have never had a decent meal at WDW, and happily ate McDonalds for the week that I was there. I cannot pay alot for crappy food and service. Thanks for having the guts to review and relay your experience. Get ready to be flamed!
tomthebarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthebarncat View Post
Get ready for the Disney fanatic's version of the Spainish Inquistion. People love this place, not sure why, as I have never had a decent meal at WDW, and happily ate McDonalds for the week that I was there. I cannot pay alot for crappy food and service. Thanks for having the guts to review and relay your experience. Get ready to be flamed!
I don't think anyone is flaming him...are you even reading the thread before commenting? In fact most people are praising the honest review..

Thanks for the honest review!
We are trying LC for lunch in June, I don't expect much that's why I chose lunch but I do admit I am curious. I will post my report.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Shunasee
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review!

We ate there in Feb, (before the signature change), and it was good. We have enjoyed both times, we have had dinner there.

Looking at the menu, and the reviews, next time (2/12), we will be having lunch there.

Zoey

Previous Trips: AKL 07/2007 & POFQ 07/2010 & POFQ 02/2011 & POFQ 11/2012 & POFQ 02/2014
Shunasee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: