Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #1081
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

I think the bill paying issue was a matter of bookkeeping-sounded to me like there are different accounts/budgeting for different areas/groups, and I suspect b/c the one said her reason for opening it was b/c she and another wife had bills from the same-it was a credit card statement. I'm guessing there are multiple credit cards, maybe under the husband's name but they are broken into different budgets. so personal expenses of one wife/her kiddos get paid from her budget while a whole household expense gets paid from the household budget. the person doing the household budget seemed to just want to know if that expense was going to be paid on a continuing basis by the other individual wife (understandable imho).

the wife who went nuts over it seems a bit off to me. she concedes having deep issues with people saying anything negative to her-but I noticed she looked REALY smug and satisfied when the husband did a complete turnaround on the idea of having these conversations between the wives (and the one who talked to her about it initially as well as one of the others had a look like 'here we go again'). makes me wonder if the one is good at manipulating situations to get her way-blow up at the husband and 'things are back to normal' (as she was happy to say when he announced the end of the conversations).

seems an interesting show-not so much (so far) fluff as sister wives. this one doesn't look like it will be all about parties and 'lets start THIS new business this week'. be interested to see if they decide to move where they end up-we have polygamist families in areas near us (by their manner of dress when out shopping i'de say not full blown flds but not 'modern' either) but I don't think it's common in seattle-and talk about culture shock

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #1082
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I watched. I think it is so strange that the wives don't speak to each other or act like friends. The only benefit to sister wives I can think of (aside from free babysitters) and having friends to hang out with. I'm reaching here, because obviously I would not want my hubs sleeping with my friends, but I feel like at least being friends with the other women would make it more like family. They all seem to be family with Brady, but not each other. And he rules the roost, everything goes through him. I think a philosophy degree is a waste of resources hen you have a family that big. How can anyone afford this kind of lifestyle, and this many kids?
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #1083
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

There is a very interesting old book out there called "The 19th Wife" by Ann Eliza Young. Really insightful look into the origin of polygamy. I originally read it a few years ago after finding out the DH has ancestors that practiced polygamy. Me personally - no way could I do it. I haven't watched the new show but admit that I DVR Sister Wives and then fast forward through a good portion of the show. It's just like a train wreck that I can quit watching
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #1084
DisDance
Mouseketeer

Caught some of it last night, sorry but the "safe talks" does. to sound like a family thing to me, it sounds like something that would be implemented in a workplace, they do not seem like a family to me, either do the browns
DisDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #1085
nicolita3
DIS Veteran

Did anyone see the commercial for the next season with Robin saying she wants a baby?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #1086
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolita3 View Post
Did anyone see the commercial for the next season with Robin saying she wants a baby?
The one commercial I saw was Meri telling Robyn she is going to go to college and cannot be a part of the jewelry business.

It appears by this commercial that Meri must have committed to being a part of the business and helping as much as she can and is now pulling out.

Robin looks very upset and Meri just says 'sorry'.

Of course this could be a boat load of reality TV EDITING to suck us all in to watching the new season.

I think the new season starts JUNE 8th!

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #1087
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06

The one commercial I saw was Meri telling Robyn she is going to go to college and cannot be a part of the jewelry business.

It appears by this commercial that Meri must have committed to being a part of the business and helping as much as she can and is now pulling out.

Robin looks very upset and Meri just says 'sorry'.

Of course this could be a boat load of reality TV EDITING to suck us all in to watching the new season.

I think the new season starts JUNE 8th!
Let me guess. Robyn cries, right?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #1088
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
Let me guess. Robyn cries, right?
Hahaha! Actually NO!

She was more angry than anything!

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #1089
MegSmethurst
Mouseketeer

I think the underlying message was....Robyn: I feel so ditched! Meri: I'm an empty nester who left my dream job to move to Vegas, wanted to have more kids but my husband said no, and no longer want to be affiliated with a failing jewelry business!

Get over it Robyn, this is one of the best decisions Meri has made in all the seasons. No more moping about being an empty nester

MegSmethurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #1090
meloneyb21
DIS Veteran

Has anyone been watching the new season?

Also, I just saw this update on My Five Wives, the dad is filing for bankruptcy....

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/08/my-fiv...utah-polygamy/

8/1990 - Offsite 4/06 - CSR 5/09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 4/10 - Poly 8/11 - AKL 8/12 - AKL 6/14 - AKL

Last edited by meloneyb21; 07-09-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling
meloneyb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #1091
Pembo
OH-IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloneyb21 View Post

Also, I just saw this update on My Five Wives, the dad is filing for bankruptcy....

I'm watching. I liked the episode where they highlighted each of the older kids. Interesting that none of them wants plural marriage. Bonus that Robyn didn't talk much that episode.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #1092
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wasn't he trying to push the one wife into quitting her job?

I'm guessing their show is going to need more viewers, and a longer contract, before they can afford a cul-de-sac of their own.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #1093
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's too bad. They had mentioned on the show several times that his construction business had taken a nosedive. Maybe he should stop pulling all nighters to write philosophy papers and concentrate on feeding his family.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #1094
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Maybe he should stop pulling all nighters to write philosophy papers and concentrate on feeding his family.
Maybe he's trying to think himself out of the situation.

Seriously. What a pile of nonsense.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #1095
Brit17
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I've been watching ... Has anyone else noticed how Meri has seemed to have just "checked out" from helping the other sisterwives? ... For example, on this weeks episode. as everyone else was scrambling to get ready to leave on their RV trip, Meri was just nonchalantly getting ready and seemed to be just hanging out at her house alone until it was time to leave instead of helping the others ... And then she made a point to say she was only going to be a truck driver on the trip basically implying that she had no intentions of helping with the kids ... I guess all her previous whining about becoming an empty nester has disappeared and she actually likes her new found freedom ... It just seems a little odd though because I thought the whole idea of being sisterwives was to help each other out and be one big happy family? ...

In regards to the RV trip, what the heck was with Robyn freaking out about the snow? ... I mean, grow up, will ya? ... And wasn't it typical that Robyn and Meri got the hotel rooms and everyone else had to sleep in the RV's? ... I thought truck drivers usually slept in their trucks? - if so, then why was Meri so special and got to sleep in a hotel? ... The 72oz steak eating contest was interesting ... I laughed when the guy said whomever didn't meet the challenge had to pay $72 for their steak ... I thought they were on a tight budget, but they had the $$ to pay for all those unfinished steaks? - oops, my bad, I guess TLC picked up the tab for those ...

Oh, and btw, why does every episode have to start out as an informercial for their business? ... Newsflash, we all know about the website and how important it is that it be successful, blah blah blah ...

On a side note, I guess the My Five Wives family didn't get TLC to pay off their bills as they probably had hoped ... I'm sorry they had to file for bankruptcy, but c'mon, really? ... How did they expect to support all those kids and adults? ... Maybe for starters, Brady should have reconsidered going back to school for a degree in philosophy and figured out that maybe that wasn't a very wise, sound or fiscally responsible financial plan ... But, it's all just my opinion ...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: