Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #46
dislal
DIS Veteran

Whether or not they are doing anything illegal I feel that this is just giving Kody(sp?) a free cheating on his wife pass. I find this lifestyle very sad. When my DD's get married i want them to be the most important person in their SO lives, not have to share that special time with others JMHO

I don't think anyone has mentioned on this thread(I didn't read the whole thing) about one of the teenage daughters looking pregnant.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #47
DisneyScraps
DIS Veteran

I think it's sick. Years ago a bunch of dirty old men came up with the concept of having multiple wives and then convinced some gullible folk to go along with it saying it was their religion!

Their church has abolished it, it's illegal, what else do they need for proof that it's wrong?

I watched the snow a few times but that husband creeps me out too much!

Lisa
DisneyScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #48
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislal View Post
Whether or not they are doing anything illegal I feel that this is just giving Kody(sp?) a free cheating on his wife pass. I find this lifestyle very sad. When my DD's get married i want them to be the most important person in their SO lives, not have to share that special time with others JMHO

I don't think anyone has mentioned on this thread(I didn't read the whole thing) about one of the teenage daughters looking pregnant.
I don't think she looked pregnant, she just has an awkward body type. I watched part of the marathon last night and she looked the same in several episodes.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #49
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariDisney View Post
I agree with this. I am of the mind that consenting adults can do what they want as long as they aren't living off my dime or committing any sort of abuse.

I don't really get the idea of it breaking the law. It seems to me that a man (or woman) can run around on their spouse and sleep with any number of other people and it's not illegal (clearly immoral, to me), but when everyone is in agreement in the arrangement it's illegal. I've never understood that.
I agree. Or certain celebrities make no secret of having multiple live-in girlfriends and that's perfectly fine.
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #50
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshowmom View Post
I just can't help but disagree. I believe they are hurting their children. I disagree with the whole thing vehemently, but if only adults were involved, that would be their choice. However, it isn't only adults - there are children being reared this way.

^^ This...

I am sorry but this statement of hurting the kids is a cop out and is over abused today. Same sex couples shouldn't adopt because it will hurt the kid, families shouldn't adopt babies of a different race because it is hurting the children, single parents are hurting their kids, working parents are hurting their kids, the list can go on and on.

What people really mean to say is "I don't agree with what you are doing so I am going to say you are hurting the children instead of admitting I am being judgemental."
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #51
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

I could never live this lifestyle in a million years, but if it works for them I have no problem with it.

I'm not sure that it hurts the children though. They have lots of people in their lives that love them and take care of them. They are not abused in any way, and more importantly, they are free to choose whatever life they want as adults. If I remember correctly from the first season, most of them attend a school with kids from the same lifestyle too. I guess when it comes down to it, they seem happy and well adjusted to me.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #52
Pugsley
Have AP, will travel
Send me a postcard, but spell my name right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeafl View Post
I could never live this lifestyle in a million years, but if it works for them I have no problem with it.

I'm not sure that it hurts the children though. They have lots of people in their lives that love them and take care of them. They are not abused in any way, and more importantly, they are free to choose whatever life they want as adults. If I remember correctly from the first season, most of them attend a school with kids from the same lifestyle too. I guess when it comes down to it, they seem happy and well adjusted to me.
I agree. In fact it seems like the kids actually benefit from it, having four mothers to love them and take care of them, and a houseful of brothers and sisters. And the husband has it made! It's the wives that I don't understand. (Not that I HAVE to understand - to each his own). I just wonder what's in it for them. I guess it could be nice to basically live with a bunch of girlfriends and share the chores and have free babysitting. But I just don't understand sharing a husband. What mostly bothers me is the double standard. The guy came right out and said that it made him sick to think of one of his wives being with another man. But they should be just fine with him doing it. I agree that it's just a wacky religious thing made up by men.

By the way, yesterday was the first time I ever saw the show too. I got caught up in that marathon and couldn't turn away!
Pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #53
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

It seems to me that they care less about Kody and more about having tons of female companionship and lots of little kids running around. Sharing a hubby is the sacrifice that they make in order to have that kind of super-big family. That is just the impression I get.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #54
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

Can anyone explain why the kids are all going to public school now? I didn't get WHY.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #55
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordansmomma View Post
I love this show! If it works for them well, let them be. They aren't hurting me with their lifestyle. But I agree Kody is a lil creeper...But that doesn't keep me from watching.
Thats how I feel. Is that lifestyle for me? NO! I could never share my husband or live in a house with 3 other girls + their kids. But IDK, seems to work for them, their kids seem to get along, they are not in danger or being abused. And I think the husband is a lil creeeeeepy.

But on the flip side, sadly you hear of a lot of stories in which girls who enter this lifestyle get abused (sexually, physically, mentally, emotionally) by their husbands, are like 14 when they enter the marriage and the man is like 60. It was on the secret lives of women once (I think its on WE or Lifetime). It was sad. I think one of the girl's on the show was like 15 and had a daughter and had to escape with her daughter. It was like a complete brainwashing.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #56
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Why is it always sister wives and not "brother husbands"???
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #57
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren's Mom View Post
Can anyone explain why the kids are all going to public school now? I didn't get WHY.
The only "explanation" I heard was that Robyn's kids to go public school, and they wanted them all to be together. Except the oldest daughter wanted to stay at the private school.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #58
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren's Mom View Post
I missed last night's episode, but I remember the one daughter wanted to get into a really good college but the dad was saying there was no way she'd be able to with the polygamist school b/c its not even certified by the state or something like that.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #59
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Is it me or does Kody give off a not" complete there" or "other" vibe.He doesn't seem crazy, more stupid/unintelligent. I watched the interview before the premiere. I thought it telling that he told Meri that he would be disgusted if she were with another man. Answering my question: Where are the brother husbands? If it's not about sex then why can't these women have multiple husbands.
The idea of "DEALING" with feelings of jealous is crazy to me. They are upset because deep down they know what he is doing to them is wrong and the sadder part is that the are allowing it and allowing their daughters to see this lifestyle and think it's ok.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #60
Conservative Hippie

Who would WANT two husbands??

Seriously though...the "double standard" is because of their religion. I don't want to get into that too much (CB rules and all), but basically my thought is I don't think they should be prosecuted for it - like a PP said, a husband and have multiple mistresses on the side and no one calls the cops. However, I absolutely do not think their religion is correct. So in my book, illegal - no. Immoral - yes.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: