Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #226
Geodesic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella the Ball 360 View Post
What I really do not understand is the fact that the marriages are not legal and so why would they prosecute? How is it different from some guy with 4 gf's and a bunch of kids. He has not legally married these women so what's to prosecute? Just cause he calls them his wives means nothing if he called them his gf's would they go after him?
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that: 1) the state of Utah and the Church of LDS (which holds a lot of influence in Utah) both want to separate themselves from their polygamist past and a famous polygamist family from Utah could be seen as reinforcing that stereotype, and 2) the law is useful way to nail those polygamists who break other laws (underage marriage, child abuse, welfare fraud, etc.) and the Brown family was publicly flaunting that law.

I really and truly don't care how people want to live their lives or construct their families, but I think a pretty good case could be made for the fact that polygamist marriage isn't good for society and most criminal laws are designed to look out for society's interest. For example, very few men could afford to support that many wives and children, it leads to less involvement for fathers, creates a shortage of potential spouses for young men, etc.
Geodesic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #227
PlutosFriend
Spoke too soon
The little ones are sometimes cuter
It must be true!

Anyone want to bring this thread back to life and discuss this season?? I am wondering what each of those houses cost they are buying! The income from the show must be buying them...
PlutosFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #228
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

I was wondering the same since they keep saying they have no money.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #229
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

I'm rather tired of them having credit drama while they pick out wet bars etc. for four new homes.

I am curious if fertility treatments are covered by insurance in Nevada?

I assume TLC will be picking up the tab for that too.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #230
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Mouse View Post
I'm rather tired of them having credit drama while they pick out wet bars etc. for four new homes.

I am curious if fertility treatments are covered by insurance in Nevada?

I assume TLC will be picking up the tab for that too.
I didn't get to watch last night. Who is having infertility treatments? - Meri? OMG!

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #231
KiKi Mouse
DIS Veteran

Meri is deciding whether to go through invitro.

I supposed that will be the big cliffhanger at the end of this season.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #232
Mazel
Proud Navy Mom

I'm also over their "we have no money" I want a wet bar and craft room. GMAFB. I'm finding them very boring this season. I'm sure their salaries from the show are buying the houses.

I really like the show when it first came on, now not so much. Their made up drama promo's aren't even drawing me in.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #233
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Once these shows hit the "watch me spend all the money I'm making from the show" stage, they get very boring. That appears to be what we have here.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #234
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I wonder what will become of them when the show is over and they don't have all the money anymore. Will they be able to keep the homes? I don't think any of them are working right now. They just have their jewelry/clothing website. Is anyone really going to buy any of that stuff?

I can't wait to see that other polyg family next week.

Also, I was surprised that Maddie is the only one who said she does not want the lifestyle.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #235
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
I wonder what will become of them when the show is over and they don't have all the money anymore. Will they be able to keep the homes? I don't think any of them are working right now. They just have their jewelry/clothing website. Is anyone really going to buy any of that stuff?

I can't wait to see that other polyg family next week.

Also, I was surprised that Maddie is the only one who said she does not want the lifestyle.
A few of the boys have said they only wanted one wife.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #236
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I have a feeling that Janelle is almost done with being a sister wife. She seems really really unhappy. I agree that Mari shouldn't be giving the same amount of money since she doens't have as many kids.

I thought it was cruel when Cody said I can have more kids. What a slap in the face to Mari
Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #237
AndreaDM
Yeah...we mainly colored that day

I was laughing at Meri's insistence on a wet bar when they don't even drink! 5 bedrooms and she has one child leaving for college in a year?!?!
AndreaDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #238
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I have a feeling that Janelle is almost done with being a sister wife. She seems really really unhappy. I agree that Mari shouldn't be giving the same amount of money since she doens't have as many kids.

I thought it was cruel when Cody said I can have more kids. What a slap in the face to Mari
Now she is going to have 5 bedrooms while everyone else has 4. I'd be ticked off by this too if my kids all had to share bedrooms and stuff in together while she has a house full of empty bedrooms. SHe does seem to insist she wants more than everyone without actually explaining why or what she plans to do with all the empty rooms. Her one child is going to college. ALl the rooms will be empty.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #239
tnmt
Mouseketeer

What about when her "other" children come spend the night? Where will they sleep if she doesn't have enough bedrooms? I am sure they spend the night every now and again with the other "moms."
tnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #240
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmt View Post
What about when her "other" children come spend the night? Where will they sleep if she doesn't have enough bedrooms? I am sure they spend the night every now and again with the other "moms."
At there house?? What about the other mom who don't have enough room for there own kids.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: