Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #151
scjo68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
You know, I don't know that all living under the same roof again will solve their problem. I think when they were back in Utah, their arrangement was something that they had all agreed upon and were comfortable with. They each had their place within the family unit. I think the three of them could have lived that way forever.

They have made so many changes - starting the show, adding Robyn, moving to Las Vegas - which have thrown their family into a new and constant state of turmoil. Cody's solution is to have a baby with Robyn. He is not capable of addressing the problems with his family as evidenced by him thinking he can patch things up with Christine like a high school boyfriend would by giving her a nice gift.

The wives are going to have to decide whether they can live this way. Cody is never going to change.
I agree completely!
When the show started out, they seemed comfortable with their arrangement. It certainly wasn't a lifestyle that I would choose or like, but it seemed to work for them. They were also part of a much larger Polyg. community, weren't they? So they fit right in with their culture, their kids were part of the Polyg. community, not completely different from all the other kids in their circle.

I think the two factors that changed the family for the worse were:

1. Marrying Robyn. I just don't see why he did that. Each wife had a place and they seemed to complement each other well. Janelle brought in money, Kristine was the at-home-mom, and Meri did a little of both and was also the Senior wife and organizer, it seemed. I have nothing against Robyn personally. She would probably be fine for Cody if she were his only wife. But if this huge family lives as a "collective" then I would think that they would look at each member's value for what they bring to the group. And, I don't mean to sound unkind, but I don't think that a non-working woman and three (soon four) kids add productivity to this family. This is in addition to the emotional stress of adding another wife.

2. Going on Television. This opened them all up to judgement, which I think they were not expecting. I think being on TV was a huge stressor for the kids. Being on TV is what cause them to be in danger of being prosecuted under the law. When they just kept the polygamy private, the authorities looked the other way. Kind of a "Don't ask, Don't tell" type of thing. They told. I can't believe they are surprised that they went on TV and admitted they are breaking the law, and the authorites had to act on it. Either keep it quiet, or boldly be ready to accept the consequences.

I think #1 and #2 are related. I am guessing that things weren't as rosy as they appeared in the first episodes, at least financially. The only reason to do the show, as far as I'm concerned, is for the money. So, the show would help them to make ends meet, but maybe the producers/TLC weren't sure the family was interesting enough to build a series around as it was. I admit myself that the first few episodes were fascinating- hearing how they handle the logistics of plural marriage. But after I realized that their day-to-day lives were kind of dull and tedious- like mine, the fascination waned. THe prospect of adding another wife to the family would add to the drama/ audience interest. So it would not surprise me if adding Robyn helped sell the show.

So, I think both factors were negative, but maybe they saw them as the only options.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR, Aug. 2014 POP
scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #152
Claudia1

Torments DISers with choc. chip cookie escapades
Step AWAY from the cake, ma'am!

One reason they may be looking at 4 houses instead of one, big house is that one, big house would be permanent (very hard to resell) and 4 smaller houses could be temporary (easier to resell).

Just my 2 cents.
Claudia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #153
tigger_mommy
Bunny slippers should be mandatory in life!

OR four houses, he can only legally have one address. He would make that with Meri his one "legal" wife. That way he is not common law married to anyone. He doesn't legally live with anyone but Meri. Could just be their way around the law. Just a thought.

tigger_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #154
Claudia1

Torments DISers with choc. chip cookie escapades
Step AWAY from the cake, ma'am!

Quote:
OR four houses, he can only legally have one address. He would make that with Meri his one "legal" wife. That way he is not common law married to anyone. He doesn't legally live with anyone but Meri. Could just be their way around the law. Just a thought.
Today 02:23 PM
Very plausible! Whatever the reason, it takes a higher priority for them than all being together under one roof...... which means that something else is more important than their stated priority of everybody being together.

It may be TV editting or something else, but we certainly don't have the complete picture. They invited into their lives but we only see a little bit.
Claudia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #155
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I never understood why he took a fourth wife because dynamics seemed to be good with just the three.
I do think I have learned some interesting things by watching them on tv and how they live making me perhaps a little less judgmental on that lifestyle.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #156
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

I think their belief is that the more wives a man has, the higher up he will be in heaven or something like that. By what they say, it was Meri that was pushing him to date Robyn. He didn't want to at first b/c she was divorced.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #157
Grumpy's Gal
Of course, who wants to get gold lame' undies from a stranger? NOT ME!
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states

WAIT! SPOILER! I know what will happen......Kody can marry KATE! and her eight kids will be added in to the family........
Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #158
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Gal View Post
WAIT! SPOILER! I know what will happen......Kody can marry KATE! and her eight kids will be added in to the family........

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #159
gator75
DIS Veteran

That was funny and then i have another idea if he can handle the group he already has and can handle kate and her mess of a family he could really sew his wild oates and take on michelle duggar and her brood.
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #160
Grumpy's Gal
Of course, who wants to get gold lame' undies from a stranger? NOT ME!
I bought a bunch of trashy undies and had them mail them from all over the states

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm8 View Post

well, you know, it is TLC and all......out to make a buck and I am sure that would make ratings go thru the roof!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #161
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Gal View Post
And she will eat him alive and I will enjoy that.....

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #162
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_mommy View Post
I don't think there's any law they'd be skirting? He can have as many addresses as he wants, though one would be primary.

The common law thing isn't a deal though, regardless. It only still exists in a few states (Nevada isn't one) and you have to be single to be considered common law married in them regardless.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #163
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

I was just watching a newer episode with a flashback to Solomon's birth. Did anyone else find it odd that Cody said 'He looks like MY boys!'? Um, he IS one of your boys so why is he surprised? LOL
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #164
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren's Mom View Post
I was just watching a newer episode with a flashback to Solomon's birth. Did anyone else find it odd that Cody said 'He looks like MY boys!'? Um, he IS one of your boys so why is he surprised? LOL
I thought the same thing too at first, but SHE has a boy, and the baby looked like his sons and not her son. I don't know, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that that is what he meant...

AKL_Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #165
gator75
DIS Veteran

His mind is probly on trying to figure out what what his next wife will look like.
gator75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: