Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
tink20
DIS Veteran

Child's car insurance

At what age did you stop paying your child's car insurance, and they had to pay the bill themselves?
Next Trip June 2015...Disney here we come!
tink20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

We have a deal with DS that we will pay it through college (as long as he stays out of trouble and gets decent grades).

Once he's graduated and/or working, we may give him a month or two to get on his feet, but then he's on his own.

Can't wait for that day to come! And I thought diapers and formula were expensive...

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

When I got my license, I became responsible for 1/3 the total insurance bill. When I got my own car, I became responsible for that one. I'll do something similar with my kids.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
MOpGrad2013
Mouseketeer

We have agreed to pay the insurance bill for our children until age 25 or they get married. DS19 is in college and DD16 is still holding a permit. Both have been on the honor roll and since health insurance will cover them for the same time, it is better they save some money.

DH had to pay for his insurance out of pocket and he went many times without--accidents and arrests because of it. So, we would rather help them out with this payment then have them "drive uncovered because I have to go to work.."

but we are fortunate that our overall monthly payment is less than $250 for multiple cars with full coverage. It didn't go up but $10 a month for adding on our DS at age 16. I have seen other folks' insurance bills double or more and I understand the extra discomfort.
MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOpGrad2013 View Post
We have agreed to pay the insurance bill for our children until age 25 or they get married. DS19 is in college and DD16 is still holding a permit. Both have been on the honor roll and since health insurance will cover them for the same time, it is better they save some money.

DH had to pay for his insurance out of pocket and he went many times without--accidents and arrests because of it. So, we would rather help them out with this payment then have them "drive uncovered because I have to go to work.."

but we are fortunate that our overall monthly payment is less than $250 for multiple cars with full coverage. It didn't go up but $10 a month for adding on our DS at age 16. I have seen other folks' insurance bills double or more and I understand the extra discomfort.
I will pay my daughters until she gets out of college.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

We pay Ds20 insurance with no end in sight and will add ds17 very soon and then ds15 in another year or so.

Our rates doubled just adding ds#1. He's a good student with 3 jobs. Want him to succeed in school before we saddle him with such a big bill.

I paid my own, but it was MUCH cheaper then and I was not a male under 25. Dh appreciates that his dad paid his insurance until we married at 21.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOpGrad2013 View Post

Who do you insure with?
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
RitaE
DIS Veteran

My oldest moved to a major city with public transportation and doesn't have a car, so that stopped the minute I was able to call the insurance company and say "He doesn't live here anymore."

My second oldest makes a fair amount of money and we have slowly been moving more of his living expenses onto his own shoulders but we continue to pay all his educational expenses.

I'm not sure exactly how much of his insurance he pays now. I think maybe he transfers about $60 a month into our savings account for insurance, so he's probably paying around 85% of the total insurance cost for the car he drives.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
SulleysMonkey
Earning My Ears

The deal i had with my parents was the same.(they're divorced)
My mom said she'd cover my phone and health insurance while i was in school and doing well. When i had to leave school because i couldn't afford it(and with in six months got married) she covered it a little longer and then I took over.(due to unfortunate circumstances i'm no longer married, she decided it was better to pick me up on her insurance again, because other wise i would go without. I'm back on her phone plan but i give her the money each month)
My dad said the same thing, he'd help while i was in school. However, while in school and starting the first month after i had to leave school i started to help with it. However much i could afford. The day after i was married i took it over and started paying for it. Now that i'm divorced i pay for it.

Just as an aside something i didn't know until recently, you're rate can be based on other peoples driving as well. they consider anyone you live with might drive your car. I lived with my dad for six months and it doubled my insurance. Everyone said i was paying to much and it was to high. As soon as i moved out it dropped by half, and if i go with a different company, which i plan to do soon. Will probably lower even more. (my mom and sister were told that one insurance company couldn't/wouldn't allow her insurance from there if she lived with my father. Because of his driving record.)
SulleysMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

Dec. 3, 2013. That was the day, youngest DS, totaled the 2008 Saturn Aura I had bought him 2 mos prior. Thankfully, he walked away without any injuries and I had the foresight to have full coverage. Now, he has a 2006 Hundai Elantra and he is paying the insurance. (He is 22 and in his last semester of college)

TC
Old 07-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

The day they got a car.

We told our kids if you are old enough/responsible enough to have a car, you need to earn it and own it. We actually helped them get their first cars, but once they owned it, the car was in their name and the insurance was in their name etc...We've helped them with tires,repairs and the like, but they needed to pay for the running of the car (gas/insurance and most repairs).

Call us cruel, but they are in their 20's and pay their own way. Nobody's living at home still or living off the system. Both are hard workers and contributing to society through jobs and what they do on their free time.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #12
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

dd got her license last august, and her first insurance payment will be this September. we gifted her with the first year's premiums, but she is now responsible for it and will make the monthly payments to us.

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
tink20
DIS Veteran

DD's car will be paid off in Oct (we will then put the car in her name), she is getting married in Oct. She will be starting nursing school in Aug. She quit her job (works until the end of this month) so she could focus entirely on school.

Her fiancé makes a very decent salary. They already live together, so he is supporting her now.

This year has been a little tough financially for DH and I (also we have to pay for their wedding) DD's insurance is $80 a month, and I know that's not a lot, but every lit bit helps.

I told DD, about her having to pay it, and she was a little shocked, said she wished she would have known, she would not have quit her job. I know what her fiancé makes, and I know they can afford it. Now I feel bad, she works hard at school and has never had any tickets or accidents. But, DH said, they can pay for it. (we paid the entire cost of her car and have paid insurance since she was 16, she did pay for her gasoline) I just feel like a bad mom
Next Trip June 2015...Disney here we come!

Last edited by tink20; 07-08-2014 at 08:16 PM.
tink20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink20 View Post
DD's car will be paid off in Oct (we will then put the car in her name), she is getting married in Oct. She will be starting nursing school in Aug. She quit her job (works until the end of this month) so she could focus entirely on school.

Her fiancé makes a very decent salary. They already live together, so he is supporting her now.

This year has been a little tough financially for DH and I (also we have to pay for their wedding) DD's insurance is $80 a month, and I know that's not a lot, but every lit bit helps.

I told DD, about her having to pay it, and she was a little shocked, said she wished she would have known, she would not have quit her job. I know what her fiancé makes, and I know they can afford it. Now I feel bad, she works hard at school and has never had any tickets or accidents. But, DH said, they can pay for it. (we paid the entire cost of her car and have paid insurance since she was 16, she did pay for her gasoline) I just feel like a bad mom
You feel like a bad mom because YOU are paying off a car for her, YOU are paying her wedding and YOU pay for her insurance. I think your daughter needs to understand when she gets married her husband now owns the bill of sale on her and that includes all bills. It's called marriage and adulthood.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

I started working full time when I was 20 and purchased my own car about 6 months after I started working and that is when I started paying my own insurance.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: