Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #76
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
I LOVE Epcot. I can't say I always have, but probably since I was in my early teens. Actually, I love the World Showcase. I am a shopper at heart so I love to browse through all the shops. I also tried the Grey Goose and Grand Marnier slushes this past trip, and both are yummy!

My tip would be to make sure you are there at RD to do Soarin, then get a FP for Mission:Space. I would skip Ellen unless you need a loooooong break from the heat. It does break down frequently so don't count on it being open. Test Track also is one that seems to encounter technical problems frequently, so don't get in line if you are cutting it close to your dinner reservations! Nemo is great and quick, I haven't done Turtle Talk yet. Spaceship Earth is a must do, and there is rarelt a wait longer than 10 minutes. Some kids find it boring, some think it's amazing, but you have to be able to say you've been inside the golf ball!!

I am getting a passport made for my DS for the World Showcase to hopefully entice him to be more interested in going to all the countries. There's a spot for a stamp and some writing for each country. There's a seller on Ebay who personalizes them with your kids info and picture, and it's pretty cheap.
Thanks for all your tips. I think we are planning to do RD at every park. We are all early risers anyway and none of the parks open til 9am while we are there anyway so it's no problem. The more I hear about Ellen the more I just want to skip it. I am a HUGE Soarin' and Test Track fan so we will def be hitting those first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post

i think you know your family best and what you guys will enjoy, so stick wtih that. i know we really enjoyed Tom Sawyer Island (just DH and I, before Will was born), so i want to take him this trip- i think he will love running around and exploring. as for Epcot- we loved seeing the Jammitors- Will is really obsessed with trash cans, so he loved this. they are usually found over by one of the innovention walkway areas. Also, the character spot there is nice if you beat the lines. We also spend a ton of time in the store in Japan- just so much fun. of course the kidcot stops were fun and this year i am going to buy or make him a passport! oh and you must go to the Karmel Kitchen shop in Germany, whatever the official name is- so yummy! We will spend more time in innoventions this time too- i know there is a trash display, again, Will is obsesse with it, so we will do that!
I have had several people say really good things about Tom Sawyer Island. I will definitely try to fit it in.

I have neer hear of the Jammitors. I will have to do a little research and see what they're all about. I've been tossing around the idea of a passport for Caden as well. So do they stamp your passport at each of the Kidcot stops? My best friend told me about the trash thing in Innoventions too. Her son is also obsessed with garbage cans...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Oh I love epcot too. Soarin, test track and spaceship earth are my favorites there. Oh I loved the boat ride in mexico too. My daughters loved to add more decorations to their masks as we went around the world showcase. Next trip they want to do the passports. The cms that talk to the kids at the kidcot spots are great. You'll love the innoventions pavillions too. Pretty cool stuff in there.
I am a HUGE Soarin' and Test Track fan. I almost considered dropping Spaceship Earth from the list since it's just okay for me, but then I thought that every kid needs to go inside the big ball at least once!

Jazz Hands and Pixiedust...they go together like PB&J! - An Adult Only Oct 2013 TR
Wishin' & Hopin', Plannin' & Dreamin' - Oct. 2013 PTR
Oct. 2011 PTR - NEWS FLASH: You must be 4 years old to go to Disney World!

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
October 2011:All-Star Movies
Pixiedust530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #77
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust530 View Post
As promised, it’s time to detail my ADR’s for the trip. These are by no means final and in fact I would love suggestions. Our family will be on the Regular Dining Plan so we’ll each have 7 TS meals, 7 QS meals and 7 snacks to use for the duration of the trip.

Beginning the day after our arrival and check-in, we will be doing 1 day in each park, an off day at the resort/DTD, a 2nd day at EPCOT for Food & Wine Festival & that same evening at MK for the MNSSHP (I think. MNSSHP is still up in the air and open for debate.)

Hollywood Studios Day
QS meal for lunch or dinner
F! Dining Package at Mama Melrose’s or Hollywood & Vine
**I would prefer to do the F! Pkg for an early dinner (4:45ish) but will take whatever I can get even if it is lunch. I have never eaten at HW&V or MM so I would love some feedback, suggestions, reviews, etc. Our family loves Italian, but I like the choices that a buffet offers as well. I may not “get” a choice anyway depending on what is available on my 180 mark.**

EPCOT Day 2(F&W Festival)/MNSSHP Night
Lunch using snack credits at Food & Wine Festival
Dinner at QS location in MK during MNSSHP
Make sure you eat early at MNSSHP. some of the dining locations close and the open ones get really busy. there is way too much to do to waste time in food lines

i'm jealous, i wish we could use our snack credits at food and wine this year. i can't wait until we get to do another October trip!

I have seen many suggestions to take a QS meal into the FQ amphitheater while you wait, so if you end up having to do the package at lunch i guess the qs dinner could work well as a time killer

Quote:
So, I'm sure inquiring minds want to know...why must you be 4 years old to go to Disney World?

It all began on a cold night back in November. I was surfing the net, looking at Disney stuff. My son Caden asked me what I was looking at and I told him Disney World. He said "What's that?" OMG....my child doesn't know what Disney World is!!! then I realized....DUH, how would he know what Disney World is unless I told him or he had been there. He was only 3 years old of course.

I knew then that if I was going to plan a trip to WDW for him that it was sort of important that he knew what this crazy place was! And so....it began....the DISNEY madness. I started showing him pictures online, videos of rides, parts of the planning DVD, and books that I was reading. The inevitable happened....he said those 8 words that were music to my ears "Mommy, I want to go to Disney World"! Woooohoooo...my evil plan had worked. I have created a Disney fanatic and he's never even been there.

I told him that maybe one day he would get to go to WDW. His response was of course....but I want to go NOW! I know, I know sweetheart, Mommy wants to go now too! So I did what all good parents do....I told him that he had to be 4 years old to go to Disney World! He was satisfied with that answer...for the time being!

As his February birthday began approaching people would ask him how old he was going to be. His response was always the same... "I'm going to be 4 and then I can go to Disney World!" On his birthday he told me numerous times that he was 4 now and we could go to Disney. By this time the 2011 planning DVD had arrived and had the "Let the Memories Begin" family stories at the beginning with all the kids being surprised with trips to Disney! I showed the DVD to Caden and I told him maybe one day someone would surprise him with a trip to Disney since he is 4 years old now! He asks all the time to watch Disney videos or the Disney DVD! He is obsessed with looking at Disney stuff (just like his Mommy ) and I know when we finally surprise him that he will be SUPER excited!

So...there you have it....that's why you MUST be 4 years old to go to Disney!
yay for tiny disney fanatics

Quote:
Looking like another day of MUST DO's to post! On todays agenda.....EPCOT (my other favorite park)!

Let me give you a little background on my history with EPCOT. On my first 4 trips to Disney I was under the age of 13 and I DID NOT like EPCOT...actually dreaded going. I cringed at the fact of walking around the World Showcase exploring countries and let's face it....back in the day EPCOT wasn't exactly known for it's rides....more for it's educational value. When I went in 2006 as an adult we all decided we didn't need a full day in EPCOT, so we park hopped. AK from RD til 1pm and then EPCOT after until closing time. BIG MISTAKE! I loved EPCOT! I was so disappointed that I didn't have more time in the park. I vowed that on my next trip there would be plenty of time in EPCOT!

As you can see....EPCOT and I have a little bit of a rocky past. I now consider it one of my favorite parks. That being said, I don't know as much about EPCOT and everything they have to offer, as my last trip consisted of only a half day of touring (and that was WAY back in 2006 )

I am going to post my MUST DO list but I am going to need lots, Lots, LOTS of feedback! Let me have it. Blast me for leaving something off. Shake your finger at me. I can take it. I truly deserve it for the way I snubbed EPCOT for all those years! I will bow down to EPCOT now and beg for forgiveness!

EPCOT MUST Do's:
Soarin'
Test Track
Journey Into Imagination
Captain EO
Maelstrom (Norway)
Gran Fiesta Tour (Mexico)
Mission: SPACE (mild version)
The Seas with Nemo
Spaceship Earth
Innoventions Pavilions (I don't know much about these, but have heard they are a great are for kids to explore/play/learn about all sorts of stuff)
World Showcase Touring (Don't know much about what each Pavilion offers)
IllumiNations

Items of Interest: (we won't be upset if we miss them)
Turtle Talk with Crush
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Circle of Life

I know there is SO MUCH MORE that EPCOT has to offer, I just don't know what it is. Please help me!!! Enlighten me about areas, rides, attractions that we will want to explore!!! I'm looking forward to everyone's feedback on this one!

dd was 4 on our first trip. I recently asked her "what do you want to do next the next time we go to Disney?" Her response was go to Epcot so she can talk to the Turtle! Turtle Talk really is cute!

May 2011 CBR TR. October 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR.
Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015
lbuzz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #78
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
Make sure you eat early at MNSSHP. some of the dining locations close and the open ones get really busy. there is way too much to do to waste time in food lines

I have seen many suggestions to take a QS meal into the FQ amphitheater while you wait, so if you end up having to do the package at lunch i guess the qs dinner could work well as a time killer

dd was 4 on our first trip. I recently asked her "what do you want to do next the next time we go to Disney?" Her response was go to Epcot so she can talk to the Turtle! Turtle Talk really is cute!
We will probably arrive at the park for MNSSHP around 5 and eat right away....that way we will be ready to get our party on!

I never even thought about taking a QS meal into the F! Ampitheater. What an AWESOME idea! Thanks!

I hadn't really heard any "reviews" of Turtle Talk with Crush! Kids know best though, right? I will definitely try to make sure we do that! Tell your DD thanks for the tip! Sounds like you have a future DISer on your hands!

Jazz Hands and Pixiedust...they go together like PB&J! - An Adult Only Oct 2013 TR

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #79
Parla
I don't have room for another bar
I stopped him so I could take this picture
I can't help it if DH's undies don't fit. I'm not a mind reader!

Quote:
I hadn't really heard any "reviews" of Turtle Talk with Crush! Kids know best though, right? I will definitely try to make sure we do that! Tell your DD thanks for the tip! Sounds like you have a future DISer on your hands!
Oh, I'm sorry. If I had known that I would have posted this... take your son to see Crush. He is the perfect age. The kids get to sit up front on the floor while the parents hang back on the benches. The little ones really believe that turtle is real and quite a few get to talk to him.
June 2007 Won trip from Alamo to stay at BWI. We'll never fly again!!! How the heck will we get there???
October 2011 MNSSHP trip! Day 3 is up! I would add links but it's only 8 pages.

Also planning a Christmas 2013 trip. Although one of my bosses at Target thinks I may need to quit and then get rehired to get the time off. This is gonna be my dream trip though so I'll do whatever it takes.
Parla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #80
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parla View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. If I had known that I would have posted this... take your son to see Crush. He is the perfect age. The kids get to sit up front on the floor while the parents hang back on the benches. The little ones really believe that turtle is real and quite a few get to talk to him.
YEY! This place is just awesome! Thank you all for all the wonderful advice about what things a 4 year old would love. The more I get into planning the more I realize I still have SOOOOO much to learn about what kids want to do. My trip in 2006 was so rushed and we spent a lot of out time waiting in line to ride the headliners.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #81
LJD2143
DIS Veteran & DVC Member

What a great start you have on your Must-Do Lists!
Here's my 2 cents on ideas for a 4YO.....

MK
PUSH the talking trash-can: This is so fun and interactive for little kids. It's kind of hard to know when he'll be around, but be sure to check out this website before you leave for a schedule of "Entertainment" in the Parks: http://wdwent.com/

EPCOT
Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure: This is an awesome, interactive "treasure hunt" for kids of all ages and really gets them interested in the "boring" World Showcase. With our 3 boys, we used to spend most of our time in FutureWorld and just "walk" past most of the countries. Once they tried one Kim Possible Mission, they wanted to complete them ALL. So now we need 3 days to explore ALL of EPCOT.
2000 Wilderness Lodge 2006 Polynesian 2007 Polynesian 2008 Polynesian/Disney Wonder 2009 Grand Floridian SugarLoaf
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2011 Bay Lake Tower 2012 Boardwalk Villas 2012 Beach Club Villas 2013 Boardwalk Villas 2014 Aulani 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas
LJD2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #82
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD2143 View Post
What a great start you have on your Must-Do Lists!
Here's my 2 cents on ideas for a 4YO.....

MK
PUSH the talking trash-can: This is so fun and interactive for little kids. It's kind of hard to know when he'll be around, but be sure to check out this website before you leave for a schedule of "Entertainment" in the Parks: http://wdwent.com/

EPCOT
Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure: This is an awesome, interactive "treasure hunt" for kids of all ages and really gets them interested in the "boring" World Showcase. With our 3 boys, we used to spend most of our time in FutureWorld and just "walk" past most of the countries. Once they tried one Kim Possible Mission, they wanted to complete them ALL. So now we need 3 days to explore ALL of EPCOT.
I just went and looked up PUSH! OMG...that sounds too cute. Caden loves robots so I'm sure he will think PUSH is pretty cool. Thank you so much for suggesting it.

As for Kim Possible... I have gone back and forth a few times about it. I know that our time will be limited in EPCOT, so I think for this trip we are going to pass. It does sound really neat though (I might even want to try it...hehehe)!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #83
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Hollywood Studios MUST Do's!

Time for my next list of must do attractions. Next park up on the list is Hollywood Studios!

I have only been to HS 2 times....once just a few years after it opened & once in 2006. I enjoyed the park and its attractions and wouldn't want to miss it, but it's not really one of my FAVORITE parks. KWIM?

Hollywood Studios MUST Do's:
Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Mania
Rock N Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror

Lights Motor Action Stunt Show
Backlot Tour
Muppet Vision 3-D
Star Tours
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Fantasmic! (Hopefully with the F! Dining Pkg)

Items of Interest: (we won't be upset if we miss them)
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun Parade
Jedi Training Academy
Beauty & The Beast LIVE on Stage

I feel pretty good about our list. The only thing that I have been debating is the Jedi Training Academy. We will probably definitely go & watch the show, but I am up in the air about whether or not I want to try to sign Caden up to be part of the show. He is into Star Wars and I think he would really have fun doing it. He isn't really shy, but I'm also not sure how he will react being on stage in front of lots of people! IDK! Has anyone else had their 4 year old participate? Even if you haven't, what are your thoughts? Should I send Wayne to get TSM Fastpasses so I can get Caden signed up?

I'm looking forward to your feedback on our must do's as well as the Jedi Training Academy.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #84
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Not sure, I guess you will have to gauge how he will be about it when you get there or maybe show him some videos and ask him what he thinks? I know if you want him to do it, you need to RUN for it at rope drop, so that may be a big factor to you whether you are wanting to do that.
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #85
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Not sure, I guess you will have to gauge how he will be about it when you get there or maybe show him some videos and ask him what he thinks? I know if you want him to do it, you need to RUN for it at rope drop, so that may be a big factor to you whether you are wanting to do that.
EVERYTHING I have shown him video's of he has wanted to do! LOL

I know we will have to make a run for it if we want to do it. I will be sending Wayne running the opposite direction to get FastPasses for TSM while we go sign up for the Jedi Training Academy. I know Wayne is a big boy and is more than capable of doing this, but HS is our first park day of the trip. He will have had ZERO experience with Disney, with RD or with fastpasses. I don't want to put a bad taste in his mouth right off the bat!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #86
Parla
I don't have room for another bar
I stopped him so I could take this picture
I can't help it if DH's undies don't fit. I'm not a mind reader!

Well, I just learned something. I didn't know you had to sign up to do Jedi training. I always thought they just picked kids out of the audience. I will have to ask my kids if that's something they would like to do.
June 2007 Won trip from Alamo to stay at BWI. We'll never fly again!!! How the heck will we get there???
October 2011 MNSSHP trip! Day 3 is up! I would add links but it's only 8 pages.

Also planning a Christmas 2013 trip. Although one of my bosses at Target thinks I may need to quit and then get rehired to get the time off. This is gonna be my dream trip though so I'll do whatever it takes.
Parla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #87
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say about Epcot, that Turtle Talk with Crush was the cutest. It was even great for me and Dh. My kids LOVED it!

Your DHS must dos look pretty similar to mine, so i'd say they look GREAT! No experience with the Jedi training thought sorry!

I recently watched the great movie ride and backlot tour videos on youtube and they look awesome. I can't wait to ride those.

Lights motor action was awesome

And last time we didn't get to ToT and Rock N Rollercoaster I can't wait to do those next time.

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #88
stephielela
DIS Veteran

The only thing I would consider doing more thinking on is the Balckot tour. It is loooong, and there are parts that for a 4 year old will be boring. Jack and I did this when he was 2.5 and there were parts that grabbed his interest, but the thing he like most was seeing the cars from the Lights Motors Action show when they drove by us preparing for their stunts... so in hindsight we would have been better off going to that show instead.
stephielela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #89
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parla View Post
Well, I just learned something. I didn't know you had to sign up to do Jedi training. I always thought they just picked kids out of the audience. I will have to ask my kids if that's something they would like to do.
I find all my wonderful info out here on the DIS!

From what I understand, they used to just pick kids from the audience. Now, you have to sign up at park opening. The child must be between 4 and 12 years old. They also must be present to sign up. They are asked a serious of simple questions to make sure that they can follow simple commands. Then you are given a return time for whichever show they sign you up for.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #90
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Just wanted to say about Epcot, that Turtle Talk with Crush was the cutest. It was even great for me and Dh. My kids LOVED it!

Your DHS must dos look pretty similar to mine, so i'd say they look GREAT! No experience with the Jedi training thought sorry!

I recently watched the great movie ride and backlot tour videos on youtube and they look awesome. I can't wait to ride those.

Lights motor action was awesome

And last time we didn't get to ToT and Rock N Rollercoaster I can't wait to do those next time.
I absolutely LOVE ToT & RnRC!!! They are 2 of my favs. I will make sure we fit those in!

Tags
october 2011, ptr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: