Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
You DO have the perfect dates!!! We went in 2009 from the 19th to the 27th and it was PERFECT weather and low crowds! I would have done it again if it weren't for money and a conflict in dates, so we're going the first week of Oct! I'm excited to hear all about your plans!!
That makes me feel great! I was slightly disappointed that we couldn't make Sept. work but I'm really PUMPED about October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
Those dates sound great- good weather, good crowds, should be a great time to be at Disney!

We stayed at ASMu, right next door to Movies in September and I think you'll like the value resort, especially with a little one- the theming is just fun and over the top which kids (and ahem, some adults) really like.
I was just talking to my grandma last night that if a great discount is released or I get a Pin code I don't think we'll change from ASMo even if we could afford it. I think Caden will LOVE the theming and it will be the most fun for him. He's really gotten into Fantasia & Sorcerer Mickey so I know he will LOVE the Fantasia Pool at ASMo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
yes, I am super excited about October. We've done December the past two trips and love it, but i was ready for something different. Be sure and get DBF a birthday button!!

Oooooh.....I didn't think of that. I'm sure he'll cringe when I tell him he has to wear it...but I'm sure he'll manage!

we did a girls trip (mom and sisters and I) to DL last September over my bday and i wore a button and i swear we got a huge free dessert everywhere we ate a table service meal- a brownie, chocolate mousse and so on! it was great! We didn't expect that and it was such a nice treat.

The pirate league is affordable too! i don't think a lot of people know about it (the general public), since they don't advertise it heavily.
I did see that it was affordable. If we get a pin code or a room discount I'll most definitely use the $$ we save to treat him to the Pirates League!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbuzz52 View Post
great start! our first trip was when my daughter was 4, and we went with grandparents and my nephew Cayden came with us LOL! It was also in October. I'd go back that time of year in a heartbeat! Lookig forward to more!
So glad to have you here! WOW...grandparents, a 4 year old, and a Cayden....sounds like a FUN trip! I've thought about something similar!

Jazz Hands and Pixiedust...they go together like PB&J! - An Adult Only Oct 2013 TR
Wishin' & Hopin', Plannin' & Dreamin' - Oct. 2013 PTR
Oct. 2011 PTR - NEWS FLASH: You must be 4 years old to go to Disney World!

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
October 2011:All-Star Movies
Pixiedust530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

How we're getting there!

It seems like all the buzz on the DIS right now is about airfare. JetBlue, Southwest, AirTran….how much are flights? Oct. schedules being released, etc. I was thinking that now is a good time to share our travel plans.

As much as I would love to fly to WDW, it was never really a consideration. It’s just not in the budget. That means that Wayne (DBF), Caden (DS) and I will be driving…for 14+ hours. We have 2 choices…split the 14 hours up over 2 days and add in an extra overnight stay OR drive straight thru for 14 hours. We’ve decided that driving straight thru is the way to go for us! My grandparents on the other hand have decided that driving that far is too much for them, so they will be flying. I actually helped my grandma book their flights yesterday. If my mom ends up going she will ride down with us.

Our check-in day is Sat. Oct. 15. Although we won’t be heading to a park that day I don’t want it to be a total waste. That means that our 14 hour drive will actually begin on Friday night. I get off work on Friday at 3pm. I will come home and take a short nap so I will be fresh for the drive. We’ll have a late dinner (7pm) and then get on the road about 10pm. By the time we leave I will be so excited & running on pure adrenaline that I should be MORE than awake to drive all night. Wayne will probably sleep most of the way, but he’ll take over driving if I need a break. I’m just crossing my fingers that Caden will sleep most of the way.

Depending on stops, construction delay & traffic we should arrive at the resort some time around noon. Since our room probably won’t be ready, we will plan to eat lunch and swim in the resort pool. I’m sure Caden will be ready to let off some energy by then. My grandparents flight arrives at 3:35pm so hopefully they will be to the resort by 5pm (they’ll be taking Magical Express).

The return trip will just be more of the same...driving!

Jazz Hands and Pixiedust...they go together like PB&J! - An Adult Only Oct 2013 TR

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

We've done 14 hours before and our kids weren't much bigger than Caden (not to Disney- that's 17 hours for us) and it was fine. I don't think I'd want to go much further because it was exhausting but absolutely doable with two adults. We just made sure not to rush the kids when we stopped for gas and that we had plenty of things to keep them occupied as well as lots of pillows and blankets to encourage sleep. We also left super early (like 4 am) so they would sleep a lot of the way, I wasn't brave enough to try driving overnight since dh isn't a night person and I don't really like driving at night. We flew to Disney last year and given the choice I'd rather drive, it just suits our personalities better.
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
We've done 14 hours before and our kids weren't much bigger than Caden (not to Disney- that's 17 hours for us) and it was fine. I don't think I'd want to go much further because it was exhausting but absolutely doable with two adults. We just made sure not to rush the kids when we stopped for gas and that we had plenty of things to keep them occupied as well as lots of pillows and blankets to encourage sleep. We also left super early (like 4 am) so they would sleep a lot of the way, I wasn't brave enough to try driving overnight since dh isn't a night person and I don't really like driving at night. We flew to Disney last year and given the choice I'd rather drive, it just suits our personalities better.
I don't mind driving at night. In fact, I prefer driving at night as long as it isn't raining. I HATE driving in the rain at night. UGH!

Caden has been on a 10 hour car trip but that was when he was 18 months old. He went with his dad on a 7 hour car trip back in December. Dad said he did fine but wouldn't sleep at all. However, they also traveled in a van with another couple and their 2.5 year old that is SUPER whiny & gets his way on everything. I'm sure the whiny, cranky kid kept my kiddo awake...not to mention that dad forgot to pack anything for him to do or play with in the car. I have all sorts of ideas & activities planned for him in the car & also have a portable DVD player and he has a Leapster Explorer handheld so I think he will have plenty to keep him occupied! Let's hope!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Parla
I don't have room for another bar
I stopped him so I could take this picture
I can't help it if DH's undies don't fit. I'm not a mind reader!

Hi Stephanie! Thanks for stopping by my PTR. I'm so excited that you are going to be there the exact same time. It's like we'll be planning together!

Hope you warned the rest of your family that YOU are in charge and they must follow the plan. My husband is very good about letting me plan and just going along with it. Our first trip was our Honeymoon. It was 1993 and we were clueless. When we went with the kids in 2006 (with a plan) it was completely different and we just loved it so much more.
June 2007 Won trip from Alamo to stay at BWI. We'll never fly again!!! How the heck will we get there???
October 2011 MNSSHP trip! Day 3 is up! I would add links but it's only 8 pages.

Also planning a Christmas 2013 trip. Although one of my bosses at Target thinks I may need to quit and then get rehired to get the time off. This is gonna be my dream trip though so I'll do whatever it takes.
Parla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
MadilynnsMomma
...first star to the right, and straight on til morning...

I can't stay long, as October hours have just been released and I must go plan, plan, plan into the WEEEEEE hours!!! I just wanted to say I have subbed and will come back to read more - but we've got a few similarities... I got pregnant the day before I left for my 2006 trip! My daughter will be 4 right before we go. And we're surprising her this go around!

I'll be back soon

Join the 2012 MNSSHP Guest List Now!!!

MadilynnsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #22
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

We're driving as well, 17 hours! I'm not sure if my husband will be with us (he may have to meet us down there) so I guess we'll have to stop. It's 17 hours and I wish I could drive straight through, I hate the thought of spending any money on a motel and having to wait to get there, but I doubt I could do 17 straight! I can't drive at night at ALL, I'm really bad about it. I have a hard time seeing and I get too sleepy! I think your plan sounds great, if I could drive at night when the kids were sleeping, it would be much easier (and quieter!)
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #23
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadilynnsMomma View Post
I can't stay long, as October hours have just been released and I must go plan, plan, plan into the WEEEEEE hours!!! I just wanted to say I have subbed and will come back to read more - but we've got a few similarities... I got pregnant the day before I left for my 2006 trip! My daughter will be 4 right before we go. And we're surprising her this go around!

I'll be back soon
WOW...we do have a lot of similarities! So glad to have you on board. The DIS has been fantastic. i have already met so many wonderful people with similar stories & circumstances. I'm looking forward to planning with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parla View Post
Hi Stephanie! Thanks for stopping by my PTR. I'm so excited that you are going to be there the exact same time. It's like we'll be planning together!

Hope you warned the rest of your family that YOU are in charge and they must follow the plan. My husband is very good about letting me plan and just going along with it. Our first trip was our Honeymoon. It was 1993 and we were clueless. When we went with the kids in 2006 (with a plan) it was completely different and we just loved it so much more.
aboard! My family KNOWS that I am in charge. They've known that since I was about 2 years old! I'm looking forward to planning more with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
We're driving as well, 17 hours! I'm not sure if my husband will be with us (he may have to meet us down there) so I guess we'll have to stop. It's 17 hours and I wish I could drive straight through, I hate the thought of spending any money on a motel and having to wait to get there, but I doubt I could do 17 straight! I can't drive at night at ALL, I'm really bad about it. I have a hard time seeing and I get too sleepy! I think your plan sounds great, if I could drive at night when the kids were sleeping, it would be much easier (and quieter!)
If I had to drive 17 hours I think I would have to stop as well...especially if there wasn't anyone to share the driving with! Chances are good I won't share the driving , but knowing I have that option makes a HUGE difference!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #24
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

hey there- i don't think the 14 hours is that bad- i would do it straight through. i can't drive at night, i have trouble seeing well (halos and all that from lasik 10 years ago). I also wouldn't rest well if DH drove, i would be too nervous he would be too tired and fall asleep at the wheel. It just wouldn't be good. lol Even when my dad drove us when we were lilttle at night, i had trouble sleeping, i was too nervous he would fall asleep!

it doesn't sound too bad and much cheaper than flying right now. we still haven't booked our flights, everything we find is $400 RT. for 3 of us, that is $1200. So DH even mentioned driving.......but that's a long drive from Dallas, i've made it a few times before and would not want to do it again unless we absolutely had to!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
exwdwcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #25
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
hey there- i don't think the 14 hours is that bad- i would do it straight through. i can't drive at night, i have trouble seeing well (halos and all that from lasik 10 years ago). I also wouldn't rest well if DH drove, i would be too nervous he would be too tired and fall asleep at the wheel. It just wouldn't be good. lol Even when my dad drove us when we were lilttle at night, i had trouble sleeping, i was too nervous he would fall asleep!

it doesn't sound too bad and much cheaper than flying right now. we still haven't booked our flights, everything we find is $400 RT. for 3 of us, that is $1200. So DH even mentioned driving.......but that's a long drive from Dallas, i've made it a few times before and would not want to do it again unless we absolutely had to!
Yeah...we would be looking at $1200 as well and I just CAN'T justify that purchase. How many hours is it from Dallas? Could you do it straight through or would you have to stop?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #26
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Why you must be 4 years old to go to Disney World!!

So, I'm sure inquiring minds want to know...why must you be 4 years old to go to Disney World?

It all began on a cold night back in November. I was surfing the net, looking at Disney stuff. My son Caden asked me what I was looking at and I told him Disney World. He said "What's that?" OMG....my child doesn't know what Disney World is!!! then I realized....DUH, how would he know what Disney World is unless I told him or he had been there. He was only 3 years old of course.

I knew then that if I was going to plan a trip to WDW for him that it was sort of important that he knew what this crazy place was! And so....it began....the DISNEY madness. I started showing him pictures online, videos of rides, parts of the planning DVD, and books that I was reading. The inevitable happened....he said those 8 words that were music to my ears "Mommy, I want to go to Disney World"! Woooohoooo...my evil plan had worked. I have created a Disney fanatic and he's never even been there.

I told him that maybe one day he would get to go to WDW. His response was of course....but I want to go NOW! I know, I know sweetheart, Mommy wants to go now too! So I did what all good parents do....I told him that he had to be 4 years old to go to Disney World! He was satisfied with that answer...for the time being!

As his February birthday began approaching people would ask him how old he was going to be. His response was always the same... "I'm going to be 4 and then I can go to Disney World!" On his birthday he told me numerous times that he was 4 now and we could go to Disney. By this time the 2011 planning DVD had arrived and had the "Let the Memories Begin" family stories at the beginning with all the kids being surprised with trips to Disney! I showed the DVD to Caden and I told him maybe one day someone would surprise him with a trip to Disney since he is 4 years old now! He asks all the time to watch Disney videos or the Disney DVD! He is obsessed with looking at Disney stuff (just like his Mommy ) and I know when we finally surprise him that he will be SUPER excited!

So...there you have it....that's why you MUST be 4 years old to go to Disney!

Last edited by Pixiedust530; 03-24-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: wrong number
Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #27
Parla
I don't have room for another bar
I stopped him so I could take this picture
I can't help it if DH's undies don't fit. I'm not a mind reader!

Haha! We always told my son that we would go when my daughter turned 3. As soon as she turned 2 he started asking about it. So I mentioned it to a few friends and was told to come to disboards by an online friend. Thank goodness he started asking again so early. The trip wouldn't have been so amazing without the help of disboards! I had no clue what I was doing and probably would have totally missed getting an ADR at CRT.

I'm wondering if Caden will question you on all the babies he sees at WDW that are obviously not 4 yet.

The funny thing is with my kids now I will tell them about something I've read on disboards and they will already know all about it from the blurbs that the Disney Channel plays with their stars at the parks in between programming. At least I can still be in charge of figuring out which park to go to on which day and making ADRs even if they are learning all the updates and refurbs on their own.
June 2007 Won trip from Alamo to stay at BWI. We'll never fly again!!! How the heck will we get there???
October 2011 MNSSHP trip! Day 3 is up! I would add links but it's only 8 pages.

Also planning a Christmas 2013 trip. Although one of my bosses at Target thinks I may need to quit and then get rehired to get the time off. This is gonna be my dream trip though so I'll do whatever it takes.
Parla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #28
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Love the title of your PTR and how it came about. He is going to be excited. How cute is that! We're going in November so I figured i'd come over and hang out with you while we all wait!!!

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #29
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parla View Post
Haha!
I'm wondering if Caden will question you on all the babies he sees at WDW that are obviously not 4 yet.

Hmmmm...I hadn't thought that far ahead! I knew there was a reason it wasn't a good idea to make up silly things to tell your kids....it's WAY too hard to keep up with!

He is a very inquisitive little boy, so I'm sure he will ask. I guess I will cross that bridge when we get there....rules do change you know! Haha

Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #30
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Love the title of your PTR and how it came about. He is going to be excited. How cute is that! We're going in November so I figured i'd come over and hang out with you while we all wait!!!
Thanks for coming over to hang out. I was just over on your PTR. You should definitely run over here to the October side!

I think a BIG part of the reason I am so excited about this trip (besides my love for Disney of course) is that I can't wait to see the excitement on Caden's face & in his eyes! This trip is all about him. I want it to be a trip he will remember! I hope there are many more to come in the future, but you never know! This could be the Once in a Lifetime trip!

Tags
october 2011, ptr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: