Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #137
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Did you have Caden watch the videos yet?
I showed the videos to Caden a couple nights ago. He laughed through the entire thing. He kept saying "Look at those silly dinosaurs Mommy, they're trying to eat us....but they're not real. That's just silly"

I asked him if he would like to ride the ride and he said "Of course Mommy!" I told him it would be dark and bumpy and might be a little scary. He told me "Mommy, there's nothing to be scared of, they're not real dinosaurs. If it's scary you can just close your eyes." Apparently he was concerned that I would be scared!

We will probably take him on the ride...unless he has adverse reactions to other dark or potentially scary rides earlier in the week. (AK is the last park we visit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephielela View Post
Thanks!! That will be super helpful!
You're welcome! They aren't the best quality, but you get the idea at least.

Jazz Hands and Pixiedust...they go together like PB&J! - An Adult Only Oct 2013 TR
Wishin' & Hopin', Plannin' & Dreamin' - Oct. 2013 PTR
Oct. 2011 PTR - NEWS FLASH: You must be 4 years old to go to Disney World!

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
October 2011:All-Star Movies
Pixiedust530 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 AM   #138
Parla
I don't have room for another bar
I stopped him so I could take this picture
I can't help it if DH's undies don't fit. I'm not a mind reader!

At least your putting some thought into the Dinosaur ride. The sad thing is the people that don't really know what the ride is and just drag any 4 year old on. Talk about the possibility of being scarred for life. Not every kid reacts the same way. I knew my son wouldn't be able to handle it. Sounds like Caden will hold your hand for you though.
June 2007 Won trip from Alamo to stay at BWI. We'll never fly again!!! How the heck will we get there???
October 2011 MNSSHP trip! Day 3 is up! I would add links but it's only 8 pages.

Also planning a Christmas 2013 trip. Although one of my bosses at Target thinks I may need to quit and then get rehired to get the time off. This is gonna be my dream trip though so I'll do whatever it takes.
Parla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #139
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Disney Math!

It’s been a while since I have updated this PTR so I figured it was that time again. I still have much to share, but if I don’t space it all out then I will run out of stuff before October gets here!

Today’s update may be a little boring for some of you, but it’s the type of thing I live for! MATH….Disney Math to be exact. Buckle up and hold on tight….this could be a bumpy ride.

With all the buzz right now on the DIS about the possibility of Free Dining promotions I started crunching some numbers. I have been saving for this trip for over a year (and this year’s tax return sure helped). I booked the trip for the ONLY dates that work for us. I wasn’t worried about discounts, promotions, pin codes, etc. I had saved enough to pay for our trip…7 nights in a Value, 5 day park tickets and the dining plan.

I knew all along that if free dining was offered that it would save us a bundle… $727.79 to be exact (But who’s counting?) So…I started thinking….I wonder what it would cost for us to stay in a Moderate with Free Dining? As much as I would like to upgrade to a Mod I wasn’t really opposed to staying in a Value…especially at ASMo because I had requested a Toy Story room and Caden LOVES Toy Story. This trip IS all about him and we will be in the room mostly just to sleep, so part of me would rather just pocket the extra $$ if Free Dining is released.

Well, to humor myself (and immerse myself in 2 things I love…Disney and Math) I decided to look at Mods and crunch the numbers anyway. Of course, once I started looking at the Mods I stumbled upon the Pirate rooms at CBR. OMG….how did I not know these existed? Caden is dressing as a pirate for Halloween and for MNSSHP while we are there. This would be PERFECT!

Our current trip is booked at ASMo, with DDP, and 5 day MYW tix for a total of $2356.67.

To upgrade to CBR Pirate room, with DDP and 5 day MYW tix the total would be $3014.17. $657.50 more. No can do Batman!

If Free Dining comes out (assuming it is the QSDP for the Mods) the cost for a pirate room at CBR & our park tix would be $2286.38. Since we want the DDP and not the QSDP we would have to pay the difference to upgrade…which would be $11 per adult, per day. That is an addition of $154.00 for the whole week, making the Grand Total $2440.38. This is only $83.71 more than our original package at a Value Resort. I can handle an additional $83.71.

As if all that wasn’t enough…I got to thinking again. I know…DANGEROUS! I have been warned on numerous occasions. Anyway….warnings schwarnings….I was thinking!!! What if Free Dining doesn’t come out for our dates? What if they release a %off room rate instead? What would the price difference be? Could I afford it? **If you haven’t already noticed, I’m kinda liking the idea more and more of staying at CBR in a Pirate Room.**

So…back to the drawing board…er, calculator…I go! The room only rate for CBR Pirate room would be $1550. I thought that 35% off Mods seemed like a pretty standard/reasonable offer to hope for. That means the room would be $1007.50. Add on $732.73 for 5 day MYW park tix for 2 adults and 1 child (tax included) and then add an additional $727.79 for the DDP and we’re looking at a Grand Total of $2468.02. This is only $111.35 more than our original package at a Value Resort. I think I could probably swing an extra $111.35 as well.

So….what does all this mean? Well, right now it doesn’t mean squat. Neither of these offers have been released, nor can I guarantee that either of them will be released. Unfortunately, what it DOES mean is that I have somehow managed to get my heart set on staying at the CBR in a Pirate room… I think! The only thing I’m not really thrilled about is the size (HUGENESS) of the CBR property and the whopping 4” mattress on the Pirate Beds (design flaws wouldn’t allow for a full size mattress & box springs, so the beds have a box spring and a 4” pillow top). I think for right now I should just leave my reservation alone, because without Free Dining or 35% off Mods there is NO WAY we can afford to stay anywhere except where we are booked. I will be keeping my eye out for any special offers that might benefit us, however there is still that small part of me that wants to stay at ASMo and just pocket the extra $$ we would save if a promo comes out. I'm so confused!

What do you guys think? Has anyone stayed in a Pirate room at CBR? What about a regular room at CBR? Is it hard to get around the property since it is SOOOOO large?

Do you think it’s worth the extra $83 or $111 to stay at CBR vs. ASMo or would you just pocket the savings and have more spending $$ for the trip? HELP!!! I NEVER thought this was going to be an option. I assumed Values was all we could afford no matter what!! Now I actually might have to make a choice!

Jazz Hands and Pixiedust...they go together like PB&J! - An Adult Only Oct 2013 TR

************************************************** ****************************************
June 1984:Offsite - June 1986:Offsite - July 1989:Contemporary - August 1992:Dixie Landings - June/July 2006:Offsite -
Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #140
Parla
I don't have room for another bar
I stopped him so I could take this picture
I can't help it if DH's undies don't fit. I'm not a mind reader!

I can't help with any knowledge on CBR but just know that there are lots of us hoping to save some money in October with a discount. A small part of me hopes the discounts skip our week though to avoid crowds. I know the last pin that I got on a post card just before our trip had a percentage off but a two week period containing our trip was blacked out of it. Then when the day I went to make our reservations the regular Savannah room selection completely disappeared from AKL. It was there the night before. I checked before I left and the TA had the same thing on her screen (she didn't believe it and called Disney to make sure). No regular Savannah view. We had to pay extra for the Arusha Savannah view. The AAA travel agent said that there was some kind of big convention happening that week (hence no discount and limited rooms) and the weekends would probably be more crowded as well as evenings at F&W. We do most of our touring during the day so I was okay with that.

Still, fingers crossed for a discount. I think Caden would be just as happy with a giant Toy Story figure outside of his room. Especially since he doesn't know about the pirate beds.
June 2007 Won trip from Alamo to stay at BWI. We'll never fly again!!! How the heck will we get there???
October 2011 MNSSHP trip! Day 3 is up! I would add links but it's only 8 pages.

Also planning a Christmas 2013 trip. Although one of my bosses at Target thinks I may need to quit and then get rehired to get the time off. This is gonna be my dream trip though so I'll do whatever it takes.
Parla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #141
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Oh i've looked into the pirate rooms before too. They look awesome. If a room discount or free dining comes out I would definitely try to switch over. That would be a nice experience. Like you said though, that resort is big. More walking than at the All stars. For that price difference though, i'd switch. If it was a couple hundred, i'd say use it as spending money , but for just around 100 bucks, i'd get the pirate room.

And that's great that Caden wants to ride Dinosaur. I really LOVE that ride and cannot wait to ride it again.

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #142
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Those pirate rooms ARE really cool. I've never actually stayed in a mod but from the pics the rooms don't really look all that different from the values as far as size is concerned so it really is the theming you're paying for. Of course CBR has a beach to sit and relax which would be lovely but with a little one you might not actually do much relaxing. I'm not really much help, lol! I'm naturally inclined to save when I can and I'd probably opt to save the money and use it to pay for some extras like Pirate League before MNSSHP. It would be awfully tempting to upgrade though...
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #143
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parla View Post
I can't help with any knowledge on CBR but just know that there are lots of us hoping to save some money in October with a discount. A small part of me hopes the discounts skip our week though to avoid crowds. I know the last pin that I got on a post card just before our trip had a percentage off but a two week period containing our trip was blacked out of it. Then when the day I went to make our reservations the regular Savannah room selection completely disappeared from AKL. It was there the night before. I checked before I left and the TA had the same thing on her screen (she didn't believe it and called Disney to make sure). No regular Savannah view. We had to pay extra for the Arusha Savannah view. The AAA travel agent said that there was some kind of big convention happening that week (hence no discount and limited rooms) and the weekends would probably be more crowded as well as evenings at F&W. We do most of our touring during the day so I was okay with that.

Still, fingers crossed for a discount. I think Caden would be just as happy with a giant Toy Story figure outside of his room. Especially since he doesn't know about the pirate beds.
I had heard about the convention. I wonder how much that will impact the mods....especially the pirate rooms. Hmmmm???? We will do most of our touring during the day too so I'm not too worried about the crowds in the evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3princesses+aprince View Post
Oh i've looked into the pirate rooms before too. They look awesome. If a room discount or free dining comes out I would definitely try to switch over. That would be a nice experience. Like you said though, that resort is big. More walking than at the All stars. For that price difference though, i'd switch. If it was a couple hundred, i'd say use it as spending money , but for just around 100 bucks, i'd get the pirate room.

And that's great that Caden wants to ride Dinosaur. I really LOVE that ride and cannot wait to ride it again.
Thanks for the advice! For some reason, I'm beginning to think the size isn't really a huge factor. We can always drive to the big themed pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
Those pirate rooms ARE really cool. I've never actually stayed in a mod but from the pics the rooms don't really look all that different from the values as far as size is concerned so it really is the theming you're paying for. Of course CBR has a beach to sit and relax which would be lovely but with a little one you might not actually do much relaxing. I'm not really much help, lol! I'm naturally inclined to save when I can and I'd probably opt to save the money and use it to pay for some extras like Pirate League before MNSSHP. It would be awfully tempting to upgrade though...
CBR actually has the largest rooms of all the mods. They are 340 sq. ft. compared to 260 sq ft. in the values. My grandparents are traveling with and my grandma would LOVE to upgrade to a mod. I originally told her we just couldn't afford it. She has offered to watch caden a night or 2 so Wayne and I can enjoy some alone time. That would probably be the only time I would use the beach...maybe just for a moonlit stroll. I already have $$ set aside for The Pirates League (assuming they extend the hours on MNSSHP night and I can get an appt after our 4pm entry to MK on the night of MNSSHP) and for a build your own light-saber. I have additional speding money as well, but these are the 2 things I KNOW will be extras/surprises. This is SOOOO tough!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #144
jc040404
DIS Veteran

Wow! I've missed so much since I decided to follow along! I'll just chime in from here though.

Love the DIsney math! It's amazing what a little pixie dust in a calculator can help you come up with. I do hope you get one of your discounts since you want to try CBR so much! We've stayed there twice now and mostly loved it. I didn't go with the pirate rooms though, just standard. The Nemo theme was so bright and cheery! The pirate buildings are reeeeally far away from everything, so be prepared to walk if you get one! We walked the resort one morning, but skipped the longer journey out to that section. Have you looked into the kids' pirate cruise there? It's just under 37 bucks and for kids 4 & up. My little guy(4) LOVED it. (Hope I'm not pushing the dream too much by suggesting, but thought I'd ask!)

Whichever resort you end up in, I know you'll have a wonderful time!
jc040404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #145
msmith1026
A muffin is just an ugly cupcake.

Joining the party late! I love your PTR, and we told our daughter that you have to be 5 to go to Disney, so your PTR Title had me hooked from the start!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #146
Pixiedust530
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc040404 View Post
Wow! I've missed so much since I decided to follow along! I'll just chime in from here though.

Love the DIsney math! It's amazing what a little pixie dust in a calculator can help you come up with. I do hope you get one of your discounts since you want to try CBR so much! We've stayed there twice now and mostly loved it. I didn't go with the pirate rooms though, just standard. The Nemo theme was so bright and cheery! The pirate buildings are reeeeally far away from everything, so be prepared to walk if you get one! We walked the resort one morning, but skipped the longer journey out to that section. Have you looked into the kids' pirate cruise there? It's just under 37 bucks and for kids 4 & up. My little guy(4) LOVED it. (Hope I'm not pushing the dream too much by suggesting, but thought I'd ask!)

Whichever resort you end up in, I know you'll have a wonderful time!
I am somewhat of a math nerd anyway, so Disney math and Pixie Dust in my calculator is just super fun....but a little messy (that pixie dust gets EVERYWHERE)

I saw that the pirate buildings were really far away, but I don't mind that really! I did a little research on the pirate cruise for kids....do they go without the parents? I am the furthest thing from being overprotective, but I don't think I could let him on a boat without me. I used to be a lifeguard and have witnessed too many water accidents to even consider letting him on the water without me. I'm sure he would be just fine, but I don't think I could do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1026 View Post
Joining the party late! I love your PTR, and we told our daughter that you have to be 5 to go to Disney, so your PTR Title had me hooked from the start!
So glad to have you along! As parents we just have to come up with all sorts of little stories for our kiddos!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #147
jc040404
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust530 View Post
I did a little research on the pirate cruise for kids....do they go without the parents? I am the furthest thing from being overprotective, but I don't think I could let him on a boat without me. I used to be a lifeguard and have witnessed too many water accidents to even consider letting him on the water without me. I'm sure he would be just fine, but I don't think I could do it!
They do go alone. I am a super overprotective parent, but felt okay with how it was handled. There were two CMs watching over the kids, with everyone in vests. I'm sure he'd be fine and have fun, but I can totally understand your feelings on it.
jc040404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #148
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

I remember those sticker books in the 80s- i love them and collected stickers- remember the good old scratch and stiff stickers? those were my favorite!

We will be at 'Ohana at the same time, well same night- our ressie is for 5pm i think since we are doing MNSSHP that night. congrats on getting all the ADRs you wanted.

lol at your disney math! i hope something good comes out for you that you can utilize to upgrade to CBR. the only bad thing i have heard about those rooms is the mattress issue, but you've already heard it too- otherwise, they look fantastic to me and i would definitely pay an extra $113 to upgrade to CBR from a value!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
exwdwcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #149
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

I say go for it if it's such a small amount more! FD is now released for September, and I'm not sure if they will release for October, BUT, you can almost always find a way to get a room discount. Do you ever get pins emailed to you? If you don't, go to the WDW site and price (AND SAVE) a few vacations in your dates range, hopefully you will get on their email list!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #150
3princesses+aprince
DIS Veteran

Well, with free dining being released for September, you have a good chance of getting it in October. Now you just have to wait!

I'm with you on the kids going alone on the cruise. Even though, i'm sure they'll be fine, they do those cruises all the time. NOPE! There's always those freak accidents....

Our very magical, very first trip to Disney World!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2182745

Come check out my Pre Trip Report, May 09
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2066680
3princesses+aprince is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
october 2011, ptr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: