Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #31
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I feel like I'm talking to myself, that or I'm just needy! LOL

Ok does this sound healthy? Got it off allrecipes.com

Jumbalaya
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced (This one I question on fat content)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth (I only use low sodium broth, or my own stock if I had any)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails

and this is a recipe from MIL:
smothered pork chops

bone in pork chops
green peppers
canned diced tomatoes including juices (I usually dump out 1/2 the juices)
onions
ketchup

cook pork chops in pan with a little oil (I use olive oil) browning on both sides
add veggies and a squirt of ketchup (I don't measure but I could)
cook for 30 minutes

I usually serve this over mashed potatoes.

Yes, no?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #32
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
What's quinoa???
Most people think it is a grain... but it is really a seed (I believe). Looks a bit like couscous.... very nutritious, lots of protein, quick and easy to make... but a bit more caloric than brown rice or couscous per serving.

Quote:
I feel like I'm talking to myself, that or I'm just needy! LOL

Ok does this sound healthy? Got it off allrecipes.com

Jumbalaya
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced (This one I question on fat content)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chicken broth (I only use low sodium broth, or my own stock if I had any)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails

and this is a recipe from MIL:
smothered pork chops

bone in pork chops
green peppers
canned diced tomatoes including juices (I usually dump out 1/2 the juices)
onions
ketchup

cook pork chops in pan with a little oil (I use olive oil) browning on both sides
add veggies and a squirt of ketchup (I don't measure but I could)
cook for 30 minutes

I usually serve this over mashed potatoes.

Yes, no?
BOth recipes sound great.... but I would either skip the sausage (off the charts calories/fat) or use either a soy sausage or a chicken sausage.

The pork chops sound great, but I don't think that I would like the tomato on top of mashed potatoes. I would probably serve it with rice.

Remember.... most everything can be made healthier... and you can have most anything, as long as you watch your portions!

I'll be back later to chat............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #33
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Trying to meal plan with the kids now, it's not working!! DD wants pancakes and sausage, and hot dogs. DS10 wants home made sushi. That I can do, but I don't think the Pancakes are on plan.
How do you usually do meals (picking what to eat and the actual cooking?) I seem to recall that you involve your kids a lot in the picking and the cooking process?

If your kids choices are counter productive to your needs then you may need to mitigate their involvement for awhile My kids are very involved with our meals and help some with planning, but more with cooking. They are Daddy's Sous Chefs! I have a list that my kids each made of their favorite meals. Top of the list for both of them is Fettuccine Alfredo. Not happening! Yes, I have light versions but frankly they aren't worth the time and trouble to make--that isn't what they kids want, they want the real thing. And of course there is the whole carb issue. They both ordered Fettuccine Alfredo when we went out to Olive Garden. They got one of their favorite meals and I got one that kept me on program. Otherwise I try to incorporate the things they want into the menu occasionally depending on how adaptable it is or how off program it is.

Pancakes are a family favorite but again, that whole low carb thing. We are having them on Sunday for the first time since the last week of December. They love hamburgers and those are easy to adapt, I just wrap mine in lettuce instead of a bun and have eliminated the usual french fries and making beans, fruit and veggies instead. They actually really like having carrots and celery and dip and a fruit salad. Spaghetti is another favorite but is not a good option for the low carb diet so I am limiting it to once a month or less (it is actually one of our go to back up meals so not really put on the menu) and I take a small serving and heat up some leftovers or cook another protein to go with it. And we now have a veggie as a side instead of Garlic Bread (the kids aren't happy about that!)

Find somethings that you think will be healthy (like you have done) and that your kids won't hate and start from there. Post them here like you did so we can help you with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
BOth recipes sound great.... but I would either skip the sausage (off the charts calories/fat) or use either a soy sausage or a chicken sausage.

The pork chops sound great, but I don't think that I would like the tomato on top of mashed potatoes. I would probably serve it with rice.

Remember.... most everything can be made healthier... and you can have most anything, as long as you watch your portions!

I'll be back later to chat............P
I agree with what Pamela said Well, except for the tomato on mashed potatoes thing. As far as I am concerned there is no meal that can't be made better with mashed potatoes (and bacon!). But if she is coming to dinner just serve hers on the side and not on top of the potatoes. How do you make your mashed potatoes? If they are homemade with butter and cream (YUM!) then I would definitely go with rice. If you use the box ones, try making them with low fat chicken broth (in place of the water and butter) and use skim milk if you need milk. Really watch your portion size and add extra veggies when ever you can. For the Jambalaya I would start the meal with a nice sized salad. With the Pork chops add one or two green veggies on the side.

And the meals don't have to be fancy or "diet". You don't need to always have new recipes. We still eat a whole lot of our standards but in smaller amounts, with more veggies, or with a few adaptations. That is why I asked what meals you usually make so we can start with those you and your family are familiar with. If you have been journaling you can look back in there and list 5 things you had in the last month or two that you would like to have again.

See! Now you have 2 meals planned! The good thing to about knowing what you will have for dinner is that then you can figure out good choices for lunch. If you are having a higher fat/calorie meal in the evening then go with something light earlier in the day and vice versa.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #34
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

To combat the whole, "I don't like that" thing, each kid has a kitchen helper day. They pick the meal, do the prep, some cooking, dish, serve and clean up.
DS14 picks out some pretty amazing stuff (he wants to be a chef) but the others want pancakes, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.

The mashed potatoes are boxed, Betty Crocker. We don't eat them often because none of the kids like them, only DH and I. I think if I did rice instead, DH might mutiny! LOL

OK so standard meals for us are:

lemon herb chicken, usually a whole chicken. Last time I made it I scaled way back on the butter, upped the lemon. Didn't eat the skin (Oh you have no idea how painful that was), used my new separator to separate the juices from the fat and oil, veggies and I used a bowl for my rice instead of plating it, rice is a big weakness for me so I use a small bowl for portion control.

shake and bake pork chops - I need to find something that would be better then this that DS9 will eat.

we usually have some kind of pasta at least once a week. DH and I try to use the whole wheat pasta from trader joes (it's pretty good) but the kids hate it so we fight over that. When DH cooks he makes sauce, jarred sauce but adds garlic, mushrooms and ground beef. I typically eat the sauce on one piece of garlic bread, and skip the noodles, or I get terrible indigestion.
If he's not home I usually use Prego sauce.

hmmmm, what else. Steak, but I won't eat it. I usually have oatmeal or soup.

Ikea meatballs, You can buy them frozen. I make the sauce and the potatoes (for DH and DS14 , I won't eat them). We have lingonberries with them and what ever veggie I have on hand.

That's the staples. Everything else really depends on what we are doing, if DH is home.
We eat out a lot! I'm trying to slow that down.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #35
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Wanted to post this link in response to the Shake and Bake. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/parmesan_chicken/ We made this a few weeks ago and DH and I thought it was very much like Shake and Bake. My kids really liked it. You could use it on Pork Chops or Chicken.

You don't need to use all that butter, in fact you could just use milk. If you think you can get away with it substitute Whole Wheat breadcrumbs. I am guessing that this will have much less salt than Shake and Bake and you can control the flavors and the amount of fats.

When we were using whole wheat pasta and the kids didn't like it we did give up that battle. And since regular pasta is cheap and ww isn't we would just boil 2 pots of water and make both kinds. Some battles aren't worth fighting.

It sounds like you have done a good job adapting your Roasted Chicken.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #36
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post
Wanted to post this link in response to the Shake and Bake. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/parmesan_chicken/ We made this a few weeks ago and DH and I thought it was very much like Shake and Bake. My kids really liked it. You could use it on Pork Chops or Chicken.

You don't need to use all that butter, in fact you could just use milk. If you think you can get away with it substitute Whole Wheat breadcrumbs. I am guessing that this will have much less salt than Shake and Bake and you can control the flavors and the amount of fats.

When we were using whole wheat pasta and the kids didn't like it we did give up that battle. And since regular pasta is cheap and ww isn't we would just boil 2 pots of water and make both kinds. Some battles aren't worth fighting.

It sounds like you have done a good job adapting your Roasted Chicken.

Thanks for the recipe, I'll try it. We'll see if it passes the DS9 test! LOL
Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #37
pjlla
<><

Buffy.....

Give me a few ideas of your kids basic likes and dislikes and I'll try to come up with a few basic meals for you.

A few of our VERY BASIC go-to meals include the salmon patties I mentioned before.... served like burgers on light whole wheat rolls or Sandwich Thins.... served with a green veggie side and sometimes apple sauce. If they don't care for the salmon, have you ever tried the Boca chicken patties?? They are fairly low fat and very tasty and quick..... I use them for chicken patty sandwiches and for light chicken parmesean. They are breaded, so they are nice and crispy.

Another easy basic (but a bit pricey) is pork tenderloin. The Hormel line of all-natural ones are really delicious. They come marinated in a variety of things... we like the maple bourbon and teriyaki... there is also lemon pepper and plain. The nice thing about them is that they are VERY lean and they cook up fairly quickly without any fuss.... 45 minutes in the oven or on the grill. A side dish plus a veggie and we are good to go with these.

Do they eat eggs? Those are so versatile and easy to modify for a lower fat end product. I make the Bisquick Impossible Veggie pie.... but I use the Heart-Smart Bisquick that is lower in fat. Then I make two or three pies at once (so we have leftovers and for variety). I usually make a bacon and cheese one (small portion of bacon and lowfat cheese) for the men, a veggie and cheese one, and a VERY LIGHT one (egg whites and veggies) for me! It is kind of like quiche without the crust. Usually serve this with fruit salad.... I figure no need for starch, as there is Bisquick in the pie, plus no need for extra veggies.

How are they about soup??? Homemade soup is so simple and it is easy to make soup "light". I make homemade "chicken" soup... but it is mostly a chicken stock and usually has very little actual chicken in it... just whatever is left on the carcass when I cook it down to make the stock. I usually make it mostly a vegetable soup.... carrots, onions, celery are the basics.... sometimes I throw in corn and black beans.... I've also added peas, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, leeks, mushrooms. If I am serving lots of people, I will throw in noodles.... usually whole wheat but sometimes basic egg noodles. If I am trying to keep it really light, I cook the noodles separately. Then everyone who WANTS noodles can put a portion in the bottom of their bowl and ladle the soup on top of them. And I can avoid the noodles if I want. Homemade soup with a side of toast, biscuits, or corn muffins is pretty quick and easy and cheap.

I'll try to think up some more stuff for you today. TTYL...............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #38
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Buffy.....

Give me a few ideas of your kids basic likes and dislikes and I'll try to come up with a few basic meals for you.

A few of our VERY BASIC go-to meals include the salmon patties I mentioned before.... served like burgers on light whole wheat rolls or Sandwich Thins.... served with a green veggie side and sometimes apple sauce. If they don't care for the salmon, have you ever tried the Boca chicken patties?? They are fairly low fat and very tasty and quick..... I use them for chicken patty sandwiches and for light chicken parmesean. They are breaded, so they are nice and crispy.

Another easy basic (but a bit pricey) is pork tenderloin. The Hormel line of all-natural ones are really delicious. They come marinated in a variety of things... we like the maple bourbon and teriyaki... there is also lemon pepper and plain. The nice thing about them is that they are VERY lean and they cook up fairly quickly without any fuss.... 45 minutes in the oven or on the grill. A side dish plus a veggie and we are good to go with these.

Do they eat eggs? Those are so versatile and easy to modify for a lower fat end product. I make the Bisquick Impossible Veggie pie.... but I use the Heart-Smart Bisquick that is lower in fat. Then I make two or three pies at once (so we have leftovers and for variety). I usually make a bacon and cheese one (small portion of bacon and lowfat cheese) for the men, a veggie and cheese one, and a VERY LIGHT one (egg whites and veggies) for me! It is kind of like quiche without the crust. Usually serve this with fruit salad.... I figure no need for starch, as there is Bisquick in the pie, plus no need for extra veggies.

How are they about soup??? Homemade soup is so simple and it is easy to make soup "light". I make homemade "chicken" soup... but it is mostly a chicken stock and usually has very little actual chicken in it... just whatever is left on the carcass when I cook it down to make the stock. I usually make it mostly a vegetable soup.... carrots, onions, celery are the basics.... sometimes I throw in corn and black beans.... I've also added peas, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, leeks, mushrooms. If I am serving lots of people, I will throw in noodles.... usually whole wheat but sometimes basic egg noodles. If I am trying to keep it really light, I cook the noodles separately. Then everyone who WANTS noodles can put a portion in the bottom of their bowl and ladle the soup on top of them. And I can avoid the noodles if I want. Homemade soup with a side of toast, biscuits, or corn muffins is pretty quick and easy and cheap.

I'll try to think up some more stuff for you today. TTYL...............P

They all like salmon, I need to grab your salmon cake recipe. And they all like sushi and shrimp.

DS14 likes just about everything. Loves lamb, pork, chicken, fish. You name it, he'll probably eat it.

DS10 likes beef tips and egg noodles, chicken, hamburgers, pasta

DS9 likes steak, pasta with butter (no sauce), and pork (he's my pickiest eater)

DD5 likes to graze. she really doesn't eat much of one thing. She loves veggies though.

The don't like eggs. Well DS14 does but not very often.

I just bought a soup cookbook but it's getting close to the time to stop the soups and start the grill. I need to get it cleaned and replace the grates. We haven't used it in 2 years so I need to do some work on it.

ETA: they love salads and veggies too.

Last edited by BernardandMissBianca; 03-19-2011 at 04:18 PM.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 AM   #39
pjlla
<><

Quote:
They all like salmon, I need to grab your salmon cake recipe. And they all like sushi and shrimp.

DS14 likes just about everything. Loves lamb, pork, chicken, fish. You name it, he'll probably eat it.

DS10 likes beef tips and egg noodles, chicken, hamburgers, pasta

DS9 likes steak, pasta with butter (no sauce), and pork (he's my pickiest eater)

DD5 likes to graze. she really doesn't eat much of one thing. She loves veggies though.

The don't like eggs. Well DS14 does but not very often.

I just bought a soup cookbook but it's getting close to the time to stop the soups and start the grill. I need to get it cleaned and replace the grates. We haven't used it in 2 years so I need to do some work on it.

ETA: they love salads and veggies too.
Yikes! Tough crowd!

My recipe for homemade salmon cakes is on the BL recipe thread. But I was thinking of the frozen ones I buy..... Ocean Beauty is the brand name. They have two type.... plain and herb crusted. The herb crusted are delicious. They are a bit on the pricey side, but you can't beat them for taste and quick and easy!

Shrimp eaters.... grilled shrimp, shrimp skewers, salad topped with cold shrimp, teriyaki shrimp stir-fry. We aren't big shrimp eaters here. In fact, I have three bags of frozen shrimp in my freezer (long story) and they will probably go bad before I use them up!

Will most of them eat hamburg?? I have a good hamburg soup recipe.... although you're right... soup weather is nearly done.... but I push it as long as I can!

If they all like pasta, it seems like that should be a frequent option. But I can't remember if they will eat the whole wheat?? If they aren't big on the whole wheat, perhaps you could at least mix part whole wheat and part white pasta in the same pot.... if it has sauce on it you can't see the color difference.

How about shish-kebobs?? It might make things a bit more complicated to start, but you could do a few beef, a few chicken, and a few shrimp ones.... everyone could pick their favorite meat and veggies and make their own. If you diced up all of the meat at once and marinated it.... then use what you need for that meal and freeze the rest.... then you could prepare enough for several meals at once. Next time you want this again, you would have the diced/marinated meats already to go... put each in their own small ziploc and then put all of the ziplocs together in one bag marked "skewer meats" or something like that.

We enjoy steak tips here occasionally..... highly caloric, but easy and delicious. I put them in a freezer bag with the marinade the day I buy them. They go straight to the freezer like that. In the winter I cook them on the George Foreman grill (which I hate cleaning). Mashed potatoes and a green veggie and my family is very happy! In a pinch I use the Idahoan brand of instant potatoes. Honestly.... I think they are better than my "real" mashed potatoes!! And unbelievably quick and easy... and not terribly fatty!

How are they with salads? I could share my recipe for salad topped with grilled chicken and mango.

Another thing I did recently that was pretty easy was top boneless pork loin chops (or was it chicken breast???) with pineapple mango salsa. It was delicious and super easy. I just cooked the meat on the stove top and then topped each piece with a few TB of the salsa when they were done cooking.... just long enough to warm the salsa. Served with brown rice and a veggie. You could use your grill for that except for the final step.

For your "non-veggie" folks..... have you tried oven roasting any of the veggies? We roast broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, green beans.... you name it, we probably tried roasting it! DS is the only one who still prefers his broccoli steamed.

Would they be interested in Penne with bacon and spinach?? That is a fairly new recipe for me and we really enjoy it. It is super easy... I could post it later if you want.

I'll be thinking some more today! TTYL................P

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #40
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Hello Planning Peeps!

LTS, if pjlla salutes your planning skills you know that you have reached the pinnacle of planning! She is hands down the best planner of the BL crowd but it looks like she may be sharing that title soon with you!

Buffy, I bet you will be a number one planner here in no time.

Pamela, I would like to hear more about your fried rice recipe. We have tried many fried rice recipes at home -- they just aren't the same -- probably missing all that tasty fat!

We are getting ready to go to Seattle and Vancouver for a few days for spring break next week so this is use it or lose it week. I only had to buy a little meat and a few veggies this morning to get through the week. Some of my menu items may not sound as "lifestyle friendly" as they could but I easily take care of that with portion control and cooking just enough so there are no leftovers.

meatloaf
mashed potatoes
green beans

burritos (w/ fat free refried beans)
yellow rice
frozen broccoli/cauliflower

chicken curry w/ veggies
brown rice

spagetti w/ meat sauce
salad

Now that I have that out of the way I will need to think of my plan for our travels. Luckily we are staying at my Mom's house all but one night so we can cook for ourselves. The bad news is that Mom is a snowbird and just taking her place back from a rental so we will be starting from scratch with everything. I think she is thinking that we will eat out more because she keeps saying "we are on vacation!"
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #41
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Hello Planning Peeps!

LTS, if pjlla salutes your planning skills you know that you have reached the pinnacle of planning! She is hands down the best planner of the BL crowd but it looks like she may be sharing that title soon with you!

Buffy, I bet you will be a number one planner here in no time.

Pamela, I would like to hear more about your fried rice recipe. We have tried many fried rice recipes at home -- they just aren't the same -- probably missing all that tasty fat!

We are getting ready to go to Seattle and Vancouver for a few days for spring break next week so this is use it or lose it week. I only had to buy a little meat and a few veggies this morning to get through the week. Some of my menu items may not sound as "lifestyle friendly" as they could but I easily take care of that with portion control and cooking just enough so there are no leftovers.

meatloaf
mashed potatoes
green beans

burritos (w/ fat free refried beans)
yellow rice
frozen broccoli/cauliflower

chicken curry w/ veggies
brown rice

spagetti w/ meat sauce
salad

Now that I have that out of the way I will need to think of my plan for our travels. Luckily we are staying at my Mom's house all but one night so we can cook for ourselves. The bad news is that Mom is a snowbird and just taking her place back from a rental so we will be starting from scratch with everything. I think she is thinking that we will eat out more because she keeps saying "we are on vacation!"
lisa i like your plan for the week. can we come over? how do you make your burritos? i really like mexican food and so does DH but i just don't know how to make anything outside of buying the taco kits at the grocery store!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #42
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Yikes! Tough crowd!
told ya!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #43
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
lisa i like your plan for the week. can we come over? how do you make your burritos? i really like mexican food and so does DH but i just don't know how to make anything outside of buying the taco kits at the grocery store!
You can come over for dinner anytime, Nancy!

The burritos are very, very simple. Just some fat free refried beans heated up and spiced up with a little tabasco. You can add black beans, green chiles (canned), a little meat if you wanted, just about anything. We will add onions, a little shredded cheddar cheese and iceberg lettuce.

I lived in Arizona for a long time and was married in New Mexico. They think everything is better with green chiles! I have a couple of good recipes. I will post them on the the recipe thread and post a link when they are done later this week.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #44
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

I'll try to remember to post the fried rice recipe in the next few days. Remind me if you need to!! It isn't "authentic" (doesn't totally taste like take-out), but I think it is delicious and much healthier.

Have a great trip! Hopefully you can find a way to stay OP if you end up eating out a lot with your Mom. Thanks for coming over to chat here!

Quote:
told ya!!!!!!
Yes.... you did warn me!!

I had a few more thought for you.

When pancakes are in demand for dinner, you could make FiberOne pancakes. If you dont' want to make them for everyone, you could just make them for yourself. I make a single serving and add chopped, lightly cooked apple, cinnamon and walnuts sometimes. Or sometimes chopped banana and chopped walnuts.

If you are looking to make standard pancake mix a bit healthier for everyone, I usually add a big scoop of wheat bran. That plus a bit of cinnamon (a good antioxidant) and a splash of vanilla. The cinnamon and vanilla colors ddarken the pancakes and "hide" the wheat bran a bit.

Would the kids enjoy fruit pancakes?? You could make banana or apple pancakes for them as well.

How about something new like crepes?? Bisquick has an easy crepe recipe. You could fill them with almost anything... cooked chicken with cheese, sauteed veggies, or even fruit. I'll post the recipe I have if you would like.

Do your kids eat yogurt? How about the yogurt parfait night like I had? They could use whatever kind of fruit they like and customize the parfaits. I put out slivered almonds, FiberOne cereal, granola, chopped fruits, Craisins, raisins, cinnamon... lots of choices.

How about a customized macaroni salad night (when the weather warms up)? Make a whole wheat (or whole grain or high fiber) pasta salad with some light dressing (Paul Newman's light balsamic vinagarette is a good choice)... chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, onion, celery... however you like your pasta salad. Then put out a selection of diced chicken breast, plain tuna, chopped egg, grapes, golden raisins, peas, shredded lowfat cheese, croutons. Everyone has a scoop of the pasta salad topped the way they like it! Even better if you serve the scoop of pasta salad on a bed of greens!

That's all for now................P

Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #45
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

They don't like anything in their pancakes.
DS14 and DH love crepes, the rest of us have never had any. DH wants a crepe pan, I need to go buy one.
DS14 and DD like yogurt, but the rest don't.

Sigh, I'll figure something out. At this point I'm just going to keep working at the list and just eat less of what I cook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: