Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #46
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran
 
dawnbu40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: too far from the castle
Posts: 5,314

I don't think you'll miss the dining plan too much. We have used it some trips and paid oop on others and the only thing I ever miss is the convenience of the meal being prepaid. (and you're right it is too much food)

I hope you find a decent rate on airfare! I found an AirTran sale a couple weeks ago and booked August then because I've been worried about gas prices. Our flights this year (May and August) both ended up being cheaper than last year's (March and August) so hopefully you'll have good luck too
__________________


dawnbu40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #47
dizneeat
DIS Veteran
 
dizneeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 13,926

I guess you won't miss the DDP too much! We have done it on most of our trips and have quite liked it, especially since we mostly scored it for free! BUT, last year we were on the DDP for both of our stays and we found that it revolved around food most of the time, so in February we went without any DDP and were happy bunnies.
TiW works really nicely, you don't "have to" order dessert when you don't feel like it, we sometimes just shared things or ordered two appetizers ...........
Much more freedom!
__________________
Players: Karin Tom Find our trips here: Magicaldisneytrips
DLRP: Aug 12 - 21, 2014 to put our APs to good use
WDW, DCL: July 26 Magic/Med March 29 Magic/Western
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #48
Avery&Todd
DIS Veteran
 
Avery&Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: the middle of NC
Posts: 552

Hey Queen!!

I lurked amoungst the spiders in your last TR and I thought I would come out of the woodwork on this one and say HEY!!!!

thanks for letting me tag along on your fabulous PTR!

Our family is vacationing in Washington, DC this year and we'll be at Disney next June..so I'm living through everyone else's trips!!

__________________




June 2015: It's time to plan!! Where should we stay???
June 2012 - BC June 2010 - WL June 2009 - WL

Last edited by Avery&Todd; 03-14-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Avery&Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #49
counselormom
Mouseketeer
 
counselormom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 254

So glad you started a PTR! I'm in!
counselormom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #50
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!
 
pkondz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I am hoping for the early morning Delta flight through Minneapolis which will get us into Orlando around 2ish!
Did you mean drive down to MSP or fly out of YWG and connect in MSP? Last time we drove down, booked two rooms (don't remember where, sorry) with Priceline both on the way down and the way up and easily saved over $1K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
If Westjet or Air Canada come out with a half decent seat sale though we'll go through Toronto...just hate having to get our bags and going through Customs in under an hour
Yuck.
__________________
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice. - Allan Arbus as Dr. Sidney Freedman - RIP

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!



1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #51
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran
 
Queenofallthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
What is a Tables in Wonderland Card?

Something Peg and Geodoc purchased for dining that they said we'll be using instead of the DDP Seriously though, I really have no clue I told Peg to get on here and explain and as you can see she's still not here My understanding is 20% of food and beverages (again, I thing this includes alcoholic beverages)
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #52
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran
 
Queenofallthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
I don't think you'll miss the dining plan too much. We have used it some trips and paid oop on others and the only thing I ever miss is the convenience of the meal being prepaid. (and you're right it is too much food)

I hope you find a decent rate on airfare! I found an AirTran sale a couple weeks ago and booked August then because I've been worried about gas prices. Our flights this year (May and August) both ended up being cheaper than last year's (March and August) so hopefully you'll have good luck too
I think that's what I'll miss too...the convenience...and the fact that most times we used it we got it free

If Minneapolis wasn't an 8 hour drive I would seriously consider going thru there....and still may...we leave on a Sunday so we could very easily drive to Minneapolis on the Saturday. We'll see


Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
I guess you won't miss the DDP too much! We have done it on most of our trips and have quite liked it, especially since we mostly scored it for free! BUT, last year we were on the DDP for both of our stays and we found that it revolved around food most of the time, so in February we went without any DDP and were happy bunnies.
TiW works really nicely, you don't "have to" order dessert when you don't feel like it, we sometimes just shared things or ordered two appetizers ...........
Much more freedom!
I am back on my weight loss journey...I lost weight before we left last summer and thankfully I haven't gained any of it back, but I haven't lost anymore so I need to get on the bandwagon I think paying OOP will help with portions, Jasmine and I can easily split meals and dessert!! I told her though that she can't choose every meal
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #53
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran
 
Queenofallthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery&Todd View Post
Hey Queen!!

I lurked amoungst the spiders in your last TR and I thought I would come out of the woodwork on this one and say HEY!!!!

thanks for letting me tag along on your fabulous PTR!

Our family is vactioning in Washington, DC this year and we'll be at Disney next June..so I'm living through everyone else's trips!!

I am so happy you came out of lurkdom!!!

That sounds like a really nice vacation, it looks so beautiful there!! For you June trip next year can we expect a PTR and TR


Quote:
Originally Posted by counselormom View Post
So glad you started a PTR! I'm in!
So happy you're here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Did you mean drive down to MSP or fly out of YWG and connect in MSP? Last time we drove down, booked two rooms (don't remember where, sorry) with Priceline both on the way down and the way up and easily saved over $1K.

If the flights are cheap out of YWG then yes we would fly with the connection in MSP....but if not, maybe we'll drive down. The young lady that will be staying in our house while we're gone said if we want to drive to MSP she'll drive us down....oh to be 21 again!!! I am even more intrigued now that I see how much you saved

Yuck.
Exactly....it gives me heart palpitations everytime I think of going thru Toronto....
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #54
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 39,102

All caught up.

I love the intros; I did not realize that your sister and BIL were DIS members too. That is keeping it "all in the family."

I am keeping my fingers crossed on the airline fares for you. I cannot believe how high they are and only going higher.

The first day sounds great. We've never done AKL, but we can't wait to try it inS eptember. Going to DTD the first night is always a good way to start a trip and get ideas of how much "spending money" we'll be using.
__________________
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #55
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran
 
Queenofallthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
All caught up.

I love the intros; I did not realize that your sister and BIL were DIS members too. That is keeping it "all in the family."

I am keeping my fingers crossed on the airline fares for you. I cannot believe how high they are and only going higher.

The first day sounds great. We've never done AKL, but we can't wait to try it inS eptember. Going to DTD the first night is always a good way to start a trip and get ideas of how much "spending money" we'll be using.
Hey Kathy!!

Yes, they love Disney as much as we do! They bought into DVC in 2008 when we all went down and then in 2009 was our first DVC stay with them. We stayed 5 days at SSR and then 6 days at AKL...then Jas and I moved to ASMu and stayed another 9 days....it was pure magic!!!

I can't wait to hear what you think of AKL!!! I try and buy nothing the first day because I end up buying stuff on impulse and wish I had waited!!!
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #56
PirateKate
DIS Veteran
 
PirateKate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Paradise
Posts: 2,324

While the Dining Plan can be fun and convenient and frequently free, we prefer to pay out of pocket. The dining plan is supposed to prevent worrying about spending money on food, but we actually end up worrying about it more: We've got too many snack credits left! We have to get dessert! We can't order the cheapest thing on the menu! We're going to run out of snack credits!

It's much easier to buy whatever we want to eat wherever and whenever we want it.
PirateKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #57
MaryAz
DIS Veteran
 
MaryAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,265

I agree with you on the rooms at AKV being on the dark side. I will take some pics of SSR for ya in a couple of weeks DTD the first night sounds fun. I am with you on the weight loss, have 5lb to go!!
__________________
Me Dh: DD 10 DD 7
MaryAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #58
ProudMomTo3Boys
My brain hurts. I am still working on it
Is talking in circles like walking in circles?
Can someone come to the mat with me?
 
ProudMomTo3Boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,208

I am joining in!!!! I finished reading your last TR a few days ago. I showed everyone who came over the pictures of the spiders. I HATE spiders so much, I don't even like to kill them. I enjoyed your TR so much I can't wait to read this one. We will be there for part of your trip, 8/23- 8/31 also celebrating my sons 13th birthday!!!!
__________________
Me DH DS 17 DS 15 DS 8
ProudMomTo3Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #59
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran
 
Queenofallthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
While the Dining Plan can be fun and convenient and frequently free, we prefer to pay out of pocket. The dining plan is supposed to prevent worrying about spending money on food, but we actually end up worrying about it more: We've got too many snack credits left! We have to get dessert! We can't order the cheapest thing on the menu! We're going to run out of snack credits!

It's much easier to buy whatever we want to eat wherever and whenever we want it.
Excellent points! We started using our snack credits for muffins etc for breakfast but I always ended up paying for something OOP! We also didn't want to be obligated to TS every evening if we didn't feel like going out! There are days where you want nothing more than to spend the evening at the resort!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
I agree with you on the rooms at AKV being on the dark side. I will take some pics of SSR for ya in a couple of weeks DTD the first night sounds fun. I am with you on the weight loss, have 5lb to go!!
Thanks Mary....you know how much I love SSR! I wish I only had 5 pounds to go...my goal before leaving is 25 pounds...that will make me one happy girl!! I need to lose more than that but if it happens it happens if I only lose 25 I'm gonna be ok with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMomTo3Boys View Post
I am joining in!!!! I finished reading your last TR a few days ago. I showed everyone who came over the pictures of the spiders. I HATE spiders so much, I don't even like to kill them. I enjoyed your TR so much I can't wait to read this one. We will be there for part of your trip, 8/23- 8/31 also celebrating my sons 13th birthday!!!!
Thanks so much for joining us!! I show everyone the spiders too because no one believes me when I say how big they were...I'm really hoping we don't see any on this trip! Where are you staying? If you see us, please say hello!!!
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #60
hollisterluva92
DIS Veteran
 
hollisterluva92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,505

Great start so far! I've loved reading your ptr so far! I showed my mom some of our videos from our April trip and she got all sentimental and I almost started crying! I am just SO ready to go back!
__________________

2014--August--MOVING TO FLORIDA FOR GOOD!!
2014--May--Best Friend Trip! All Star Sports
2013-DCP Spring--Entertainment Costuming/Character Performer
2010-Port Orleans Riverside (Mother/Daughter Graduation Trip) (Age 17)
2008-Saratoga Springs (Grandparents & Grandkids) (Age 15)
2007-All Star Music (High School Band Trip) (Age 14)
2004-Animal Kingdom Lodge (Age 11)
1998-Grand Floridian (Age 6 and Brother 6 months)
1997-Grand Floridian (Age 5)
1996-Grand Floridian (Age 4)
1995-Grand Floridian (Age 3)
hollisterluva92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.