Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
wbh1964
Mouseketeer

qualify for Make a Wish?

I have a quick question for those of you who have experience with Make a Wish foundation...My dd is 15 (turns 16 in Aug) and has a connective tissue disorder and muscle disease. It is not life threatening just life CHANGING. In 3 years she has had to become homeschooled, uses a cane for walking and wheelchair for distances like shopping Walmart or grocery store. She has 3 bulging disc in neck and back and is having problems with her thought process so we are having to back away from school in general. She is in constant severe pain and She is on Vicodin and percocet almost round the clock. Disney is her favorite place on earth and actually used her first wheelchair there. She has ALWAYS wanted to do the keys to the kingdom tour when she turned 16. My questions is that although her condition is not life threatening do you think I should apply for her for Make a Wish. Would love to hears ya'lls thoughts.
Matthew 6:33 "and He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern."

Lindsay's Make A Wish becomes an answer to her prayer!
wbh1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
LoveMickeyWaffles
Mouseketeer

I would think so!! There are several wish granting organizations out there and
although they all do the same thing, some are more particular than others. I used to volunteer as a dream coordinator for The Dream Factory. They are a wish granting organization and they also do dreams for children who have a chronic medical condition. I would absolutely apply to MAW and if for some silly reason she would be turned down, just know there are other organizations out there they may be able to help. FYI there are lots of DF chapters across the country!
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

From the MAW website.

Who is eligible?
A child with a life-threatening medical condition who has reached the age of 2½ and is under the age of 18 at the time of referral, is potentially eligible for a wish.
After a child is referred to the Make-A-Wish Foundation®, the Foundation will contact the child's treating physician to determine whether the child is medically eligible for a wish, based on the medical criteria established by the Make-A-Wish Foundation of America.

I hope that helps.
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMickeyWaffles View Post
I would think so!! There are several wish granting organizations out there and
although they all do the same thing, some are more particular than others. I used to volunteer as a dream coordinator for The Dream Factory. They are a wish granting organization and they also do dreams for children who have a chronic medical condition. I would absolutely apply to MAW and if for some silly reason she would be turned down, just know there are other organizations out there they may be able to help. FYI there are lots of DF chapters across the country!
What is DF? Thanks for your response!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
LVMom23
Mom on a Mission!

You may want to contact your local Make A Wish chapter and talk to them and share your situation. Best to get it straight from the source!
Hannah's blog: http://www.littlemisshannah.com
LVMom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMom23 View Post
You may want to contact your local Make A Wish chapter and talk to them and share your situation. Best to get it straight from the source!
"Life threatening" is part of the definition of who is eligible that is straight from Make A Wish, but exactly what is a Life Threatening condition is up to the child's physician and MAW to determine. So, there have been kids who have conditions that are not necessarily life threatening right at this moment who are granted MAW trips.

If MAW doesn't work, there are othe wish granting organization, among them Dream Factory (DF at www.dreamfactoryinc.org ). DF grants wishes to kids with life threatening and chronic illnesses, so your child would probably qualify.

Starlight Foundation is another nationwide organization that grants wishes. I don't know whether they commonly grant trips to WDW, but their definition includes wishes granted to "seriously ill" children.
Www.Starlight.org

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
blessedmom4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
"Life threatening" is part of the definition of who is eligible that is straight from Make A Wish, but exactly what is a Life Threatening condition is up to the child's physician and MAW to determine. So, there have been kids who have conditions that are not necessarily life threatening right at this moment who are granted MAW trips.
I agree with that, it never hurts to find out! I might inquire about DS, he has been through so much...and it continues...
If MAW doesn't work, there are othe wish granting organization, among them Dream Factory (DF at www.dreamfactoryinc.org ). DF grants wishes to kids with life threatening and chronic illnesses, so your child would probably qualify.
That is good to know Sue, Thank you!
Starlight Foundation is another nationwide organization that grants wishes. I don't know whether they commonly grant trips to WDW, but their definition includes wishes granted to "seriously ill" children.
Www.Starlight.org
Thanks for your responses Sue.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
blessedmom4

From DF website

Sadly, they aren't near us...It looks like a wonderful organization though, for those who are able to utilize them.

FIND A CHAPTER

The Dream Factory chapters are located in several states and typically serve a 50 mile radius of their home city. To get detailed information on the local chapters in a particular state, please click the state you need in the table below.

Please note that if you do not find a chapter in your area it is unlikely that we will be able to fulfill your dream request. Although we make best efforts to serve as many children as we can, we are a volunteer based organization and geographic location can sometimes make it too difficult logistically to grant a dream.

To the OP...Best of luck once again, I know how hard this must be for your daughter and the family!!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
dntd
Mouseketeer

When my DD (5) was just turning 3 I contacted MAW about a dream trip, they emailed back saying she should be appoved even though her Muscular dystropy isn't life threating( though that's open to interpitation) just really life changing. We decided to wait until she's older, of course our DD has time to spare ( they go up to 18 years)with yours is older I would try right away.
dntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

My nephew's family adopted a 4-yr-old girl from Ethiopia and she's HIV positive. Not on any meds, and hopefully will never have full-blown AIDS, but she qualified for a MAW trip to Disney World. I would hope your DD qualifies!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: