Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil
 
ConcKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale, near Wilton Manors
Posts: 8,438

Gaga bribes Target into stopping their support for anti-gay causes!

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/21...ady-gaga-deal/

Seems the lovely Lady Gaga told Target that they could have exclusive sales rights to her new single, "Born This Way"....but only if they stopped all support of anti-gay causes.

I love that Gaga did this, although I think it's crappy that Target had to be bribed.
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Cash - the great motivator.
For both sides in this case.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
MAF
DIS Veteran
 
MAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 593

I feel sorry for anyone who believes that horse crap. GaGa partnered up with them for the money plain and simple. The donation thing was just an afterthought to combat the backlash.
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,597

Sometimes the motivation doesn't matter as long as people are doing the right thing. Once you practice doing things right it becomes normal and then your motivations can change.
__________________
AKV, ASMus, BCV, BWV, DCL, Off-Site, OKW, POP, POR, SSR, VWL
hematite153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by hematite153 View Post
Sometimes the motivation doesn't matter as long as people are doing the right thing. Once you practice doing things right it becomes normal and then your motivations can change.
I have no issue with direction.
Hell - I'm glad I can go into Target and not feel like I'm "betraying the cause".
I'm just saying I question "the spin" on this from both camps.

But just to come clean -
I have issues with the plagiarism, pandering & pablum that is the Gaga machine.

Last edited by wallyb; 02-25-2011 at 09:19 AM.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,597

Oh, I always question spin...I never assume it's accurate, I simply look at outcomes.

As for the Gaga machine, I find I cannot understand ANYTHING about it. Why are people interested?
__________________
AKV, ASMus, BCV, BWV, DCL, Off-Site, OKW, POP, POR, SSR, VWL
hematite153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by hematite153 View Post
As for the Gaga machine, I find I cannot understand ANYTHING about it. Why are people interested?
Don't know - It escapes me- she seems completely derivative to me.
And the that she's decided to put smi-naked men in all or most of her
videos or stage performances compounded with the fact that no one can see this
as pandering is beyond me.
Hey I'm all for smi-naked men - but lets call a spade a spade.
Could she do it without all the trappings and hoopla (And smi-naked men) -
I don't know - But I doubt it. For me the jury is out.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
jamieandben
Thinks his chicken is smack your mama good
 
jamieandben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rock Hill SC
Posts: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
Don't know - It escapes me- she seems completely derivative to me.
And the that she's decided to put smi-naked men in all or most of her
videos or stage performances compounded with the fact that no one can see this
as pandering is beyond me.
Hey I'm all for smi-naked men - but lets call a spade a spade.
Could she do it without all the trappings and hoopla (And smi-naked men) -
I don't know - But I doubt it. For me the jury is out.
So its OK for other singers to put half naked women and men in there videos that has never stood up for the gays or there rights, But its not OK for her because she is there for the money?

I see rappers degrade women everyday on TV and never give a dime to any cause, let alone stand up for one.... But i guess thats OK
__________________
jamieandben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieandben View Post
So its OK for other singers to put half naked women and men in there videos that has never stood up for the gays or there rights, But its not OK for her because she is there for the money?

I see rappers degrade women everyday on TV and never give a dime to any cause, let alone stand up for one.... But i guess thats OK
No it's not Okay - And it's not not okay.
i just see her as all flash and no pan.
At least for now I do.
Other artists aside.
As for the smi-naked dancing dudes - that's fine- nice eye candy.
But could she do it without them?
Just my opinion here - I know I'm mostly alone give her popularity.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head
 
OrlandoMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,730
DISboards Moderator

I know virtually nothing about her.

But from what I have seen, she seems to be doing a lot of good work for our community.....
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoMike View Post
I know virtually nothing about her.

But from what I have seen, she seems to be doing a lot of good work for our community.....

I know I know ... And yeah it's great.
Glad someone is doing it. Everything helps.
Thank you Gaga.
But she does it with such a -"Hey look at what I'm doing!" -
self-promotion kind of way.
It make me question the impetus of it all.
Unlike a Cyndi Lauper - who is Just out there doing her thing.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
hematite153
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,597

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieandben View Post
So its OK for other singers to put half naked women and men in there videos that has never stood up for the gays or there rights, But its not OK for her because she is there for the money?

I see rappers degrade women everyday on TV and never give a dime to any cause, let alone stand up for one.... But i guess thats OK
See, this is the point where I have to admit that I don't understand ANY of it.

I like MUSIC if the lyrics are interesting and the melody attracts me. I don't like tunes that I'd refer to as boring and I can't stand lyrics that are aggressive, degrading, involve swearing, etc.

After all of that, I don't understand the rest of the industry. Why would I care what someone wears? Why would I even bother to watch a video -- how does that enhance the music? Etc.

(I think I'm a bit of a societal outlier though.)
__________________
AKV, ASMus, BCV, BWV, DCL, Off-Site, OKW, POP, POR, SSR, VWL
hematite153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
jamieandben
Thinks his chicken is smack your mama good
 
jamieandben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rock Hill SC
Posts: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb View Post
I know I know ... And yeah it's great.
Glad someone is doing it. Everything helps.
Thank you Gaga.
But she does it with such a -"Hey look at what I'm doing!" -
self-promotion kind of way.
It make me question the impetus of it all.
Unlike a Cyndi Lauper - who is Just out there doing her thing.
Now look back to the 80's with Cyndi Lauper. You think she was not all flash?
The wild hair and the way she dressed is what got the people talking about her and going to see her show.
And she teamed up with Gaga to sale lipstick and ALL the money raised goes to AIDS research. If cyndi trust her i sure the heck do.
__________________
jamieandben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully
 
wallyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieandben View Post
Now look back to the 80's with Cyndi Lauper. You think she was not all flash?
The wild hair and the way she dressed is what got the people talking about her and going to see her show.
And she teamed up with Gaga to sale lipstick and ALL the money raised goes to AIDS research. If cyndi trust her i sure the heck do.
Well good for you.
I'm going to wait and see - time will tell.
And I don't agree with your Assessment of Cyndi's early career.
She always had her assume voice.
All the rest was just trappings not crutches.
And yeah I know about the viva glam promo and the gaga/elton stuff too.
Still not buying it. But that's fine - you do - GREAT!
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
jamieandben
Thinks his chicken is smack your mama good
 
jamieandben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rock Hill SC
Posts: 1,771

Nope no flash here.


__________________
jamieandben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.