Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

If your family has been a "legal six" at Port Orleans...please share your experience

We are wondering if it would be worth it to save money by staying at Port Orleans Riverside as a "legal six" in one room (five people and a baby under 3) instead of getting two rooms at Pop Century. I know there may be times that we may feel like we are stepping over each other, but I am wondering if being at a moderate resort will be a "step up" from being at a value resort and if the amenities of this resort (as well as the money saved) will make up for having a little less space, especially since we won't be in the room that much. Thanks in advance for your replies
Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
delmar411
DIS Veteran

we've done it. I can look back now and say, NEVER AGAIN!

It was ok, I guess while we were there. But I had multiple meltdowns from the lack of space and I was exhausted because the PNP has to go between the 2 beds (which were doubles when we were there, not sure if they've been changed), so YDS was not wanting to go to sleep since I had no where else to go while he went to sleep. And while YDS was only 19mths, he was really too big for the provided PNP.

A lot of the problem was that we were there for 10days. I think a shorter trip we might have done better in the close quarters. We did it when the kids were; 9,3,2 & 19mths. (the 3 and 2yr olds were having b-days on the trip)

I went to book our next trip and couldn't do it at POR. I bought DVC instead!
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Count me as a memeber of the Never Again team too!

As much as I love POR there was just not enough space for everyone to be comfortable. It honestly seemed like I could barely move without being on top of someone else. You all have to get up at the same time, nap at the same time, and go to bed at the same time. And if you want any kind of privacy for using the bathroom, forget it!

The trip that we did the legal 6, we also stayed off-site after being at POR. And I have never been so happy to not be at a Disney resort. We were all much happier in our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite off site.

I love being on Disney property, and in the Disney bubble, as it were. But I wouldn't cram 6 people into 1 room at POR again. No way.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
pixxi
Mouseketeer

Go for it!

We stayed there twice with 6 people. The last time with 11yr,8yr,5yr and 8 month old. The baby refused the pack n play so he slept in bed with us (my DH is 340lbs and it still worked). The kids knew this time was special and we didn't have a lot of money, they knew to make the most of it. They were just excited to be in the magic of Disney! We didn't spend that much time in the room anyway. We were also organized and everyone had their things to do to help out. We would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Other people may want a little more room but we were there for the parks, not to relax in the rooms.
pixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

If the PNP goes between the beds, where does the trundle go?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
If the PNP goes between the beds, where does the trundle go?
it comes out from the bed by the door. The trundle is pretty much a small mattress on the floor. It's not meant for anyone above the age of 10.

Pixxi is your DH short or are you super tiny? I'm 5'10" and I was miserable in the double esp since it has a footboard. I had no place for my legs.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

I can't imagine!! We did it twice before baby #4 arrived and it worked out well with just our three boys...but I didn't even try our last trip with the baby...and I LOVE POR...but we got a family suite at ASMU and it as SO nice having the space. We could put the baby to bed in the PNP in our room...shut the door...and go watch TV or whatever in the room. Worth the extra $$$ if you ask me.
Blessed_wth_Triplets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
raenyny
Mouseketeer

We did it and it was fine...the pack and play fit between the tv and the table we just moved the table closer to the window...the trundle was on the door side of the bed so not between the 2 beds....also my kids have trouble sleeping together so we had a toddler size air mattress which we put in between the beds..of course we picked it up in the morning so it was not room clutter...we loved it and felt the room was definetly big enough...I would have no problem doing it again only now we own DVC and we are too many since the baby is now 3 so we can't

July 2013 OKW July 2012 Beach Club Feb 2012 OKW June 2011 BWV, Feb 2011 AKV Kidani, October 2009 AS Music/Port Orleans Riverside, Nov 2008 AS Movies, August 2007 Pop Century, August 2003 AS Music, August 2002 AS Movies, Dec 1996 Port Orleans, August 1990 Holiday Inn, May 1987 Treehouse Villas, October 1982 Orlando Hyatt
raenyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Ennazus8810
Mouseketeer

I would do it again!

Did it our last trip and had a blast! Worked very well for us. 4 adults and 2 infants. (1 counted as a child since you can only have 1 infant per room). We had no issues, and had plenty of space. We kept the strollers folded up under the little closet area, and had no space issues.

Last Trip-August 2012
Next trip-Oct 2014????

Me DH DD(4) DD (3)
Ennazus8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
december
DIS Veteran

I did it last summer, and it would have been fine if my sister hadn't been such a pain (it was her first trip and our ONLY trip together). She and her ds8 had one bed, ds13 had the other bed, dd10 had the trundle, and I slept on a twin aerobed with the baby. She won't sleep in a pack n play (sleeps with me). The plan was for ds13 to get the mattress, and me and the baby to get the bed. But the bed was high and had wood slats around it, and I was afraid the baby would fall out and get hurt, so I took the floor instead. The mattress fit fine under the window.

This summer, the 3 kids and I will be in a townhouse at WH for only $100 a night. Looking forward to 3 beds/3baths, and a private pool
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
This summer, the 3 kids and I will be in a townhouse at WH for only $100 a night. Looking forward to 3 beds/3baths, and a private pool
We had 6, 4 adults and 2 kids and were originally going to stay in an All Star Music family suite. Then I found out about Windsor Hills and booked a fully Disney themed 3 bedroom/3 bathroom townhouse with private pool for HALF the price. 3 times the room, half the price, no brainer We loved it, and commented repeatedly throughout our 17 nights there how glad we were not to be on-site!!!! A townhouse would be my suggestion, we booked through storytimeorlandorental.com and were VERY happy
Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #12
imthatgirl
DIS Veteran

I haven't done this, and won't, but have you considered a family suite at Music instead?
imthatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

i know there is a price difference but I second the family suite- you will have 2 bathrooms, a microwave, refrigerator, & plenty of room for everyone to be comfortable and walk around the room with out stepping on anyone- we considered trying POR with the trundle for our next trip but having 2 bathrooms and a bed for everybody made the difference plus just for my own sanity I like having a little more space.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
growinupdisney
DIS Veteran

We have done the 6 before, 3 adults and 3 kids. On difference was my dd3(now just turned 2 at the time) slept in the bed with dh and I. She didn't like the PNP so she ended up in the bed with us everynight. Oldest dd and my DM slept in other bed and ds slept on trundle.( my dh and I could sleep with dd in the bed I know for others in a double they couldn't but we are so tired that we cold sleep anywhere)

We actaully didn't mind it. I'm very organized so the room was always tidy and I had a hanging sweater orgainizer in closet to store extras, i brought collapsible bins for the table to store room key, snacks, change, etc. clthes were all put away etc.

My DM wakes up at 5:30 am always so she woud be the first one up and dressed then would go out side or to the pool and read after she was ready( she loved doing this every am) I would wake up about 6 get dressed a ready DH about 6:30. Once he was in the shower I would start waking the kids up they would be up by 6:45, dressed by 7 and we would eat in the room leave by 7:30-7:45.

We never really got in each others way at all, my DM is a big reader so in the am this gave her her time and made things smoother for the rest to not have soo many people getting ready a the same time. get ready in shifts it makes things go smoother. At night if we went back to room earlier my DM would stay in room or go to FC and read, my dh took my dd to the pool and I would go with my older kids wherever around the resort they wanted to go so we were never reallly on top of each other. Would not hesitate to do this again but withe ages of the kids now this set up would not worl anymore!

There is no better place on Earth than Walt Disney World!
growinupdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatgirl View Post
I haven't done this, and won't, but have you considered a family suite at Music instead?

The family suite isn't available for the week we are going under the promo we are booked under (free dining) because we were originally going to stay in a AS Music family suite for our original dates, but due to DH's contract at work we had to change our vacation dates and the availability is either two rooms at a value or a room at POR. We didn't choose the cabins at Ft Wilderness for a variety of reasons, the primary being that it is over $100 more per night for the cabin than two value rooms or one room at POR. We were also at one point looking into renting a condo offsite (Windsor Hills or Silver Lake) but my DH now says he thinks it will be a hassle because we would have the expense of having to rent a minivan, go grocery shopping, cook meals, not have housekeeping services, and navigate our way back and forth to the parks. Also, with the free dining promo, the cost for us to stay onsite is actually around the same if not less than it would be for us to stay offsite because we would have to rent a minivan, pay for gas, parking fee, etc. So it has been a bit of a challenge for us trying to decide the best accommodations for our family and stay within the price range that is comfortable for us. I personally like the theming and amenities of the moderate resorts better, but if it would be too uncomfortable for us to spend a whole week in one room than we would probably stick with two rooms at Pop.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: