Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
1osfan
Mouseketeer

Have you taken a baby to WDW in the summer?

Although we have taken our children to WDW twice before, we have a new little bundle of joy this year! She will be 6 months old when we head to WDW this June. If you have taken your baby to WDW during the summer months, would you please share your experiences. DW is not sure about the baby and the heat. We are going to discuss this with the baby's doctor next month, but I figured there would be plenty of experiences found here as well.

Thank you very much!
1osfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

We went last year during the only week there was no rain and a heat wave! DD was roughly 6 months. She was easy, DH not so much. I packed a load of outfits but she ended up only wanting to wear these really super light cotton Carter's tank onesies we found at AJ wrights and Marshalls. So I ended up washing two of those and some other items that week. She wasn't found of her stroller during the day which killed us. Thank GOD there where four of us to pass her around in the bjorn. I had packed baby food but she wanted none of that. DD drank more formula and ate a TON of fruit that i would order and then mash up.

All this being said IT WAS HANDS DOWN one of the best vacations.

My advice- Sunblock and Hats! Afternoon nap and then pool time, shower then hit the parks again.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
1osfan
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your response! Your advice at the end about naps and pool time in the middle of the day is what we have done on our other trips and it has worked out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen2PrincessG View Post
We went last year during the only week there was no rain and a heat wave! DD was roughly 6 months. She was easy, DH not so much. I packed a load of outfits but she ended up only wanting to wear these really super light cotton Carter's tank onesies we found at AJ wrights and Marshalls. So I ended up washing two of those and some other items that week. She wasn't found of her stroller during the day which killed us. Thank GOD there where four of us to pass her around in the bjorn. I had packed baby food but she wanted none of that. DD drank more formula and ate a TON of fruit that i would order and then mash up.

All this being said IT WAS HANDS DOWN one of the best vacations.

My advice- Sunblock and Hats! Afternoon nap and then pool time, shower then hit the parks again.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
mfulk
Mouseketeer

On our first trip our youngest was 5 months. It was the beginning of May but really hot. It was in the upper 90s and above the whole week. We still had a great trip though. I think the most uncomfortable person was probably me because I kept the baby in my ergo carrier on my front which kept us both pretty warm! It really wasn't too bad though. So many of the rides are inside and the lines are often in covered areas too.

When she needed to nurse I just found a spot in the shade most of the time and fed her there. The first day I trekked across the park to the baby care center in MK by Crystal Palace. The A/C felt great but it wasn't worth the long walk from the back of the park.

We either went to the water parks in the afternoon or back to our condo for naps and by the time we went back in the evening it had cooled off a little bit.

She seemed quite happy that week. She never cried and was content looking around at everything. It really was easy and we all survived the heat although it would have been nice if it had been cooler.
mfulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

I think one of the best things to bring is an umbrella. It is sometimes so hard to find some shade. We brought both of our older kids at around 3 months old. It's a little hard if they are usually snugglers, because you don't want them to overheat in a carrier and it gets especially hot strapped in a bucket seat.
The baby centers are *great* to get out of the heat and the nursing room with rocking chairs is divine if you need to cool down and calm down a hot little one.
We also used California Baby sunscreen(you can get it at Target). It's safe for babies under 6 mos and no chemical yuckies. I found no matter how hard I tried we always had a tiny foot or hand hanging out somewhere and I liked being able to use chemical-free sunscreen on their skin.
Take lots of breaks in inside rides and naps/swims in the middle of the day.
I loved going with little ones.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ Dd(1)

Last edited by MistressMerryweather; 03-13-2011 at 05:55 PM.
MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
1osfan
Mouseketeer

Thank you for responses. I think DW is feeling a little more comfortable with this idea knowing that others have been successful doing it.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

some of us live in that heat!!

our girls were always fine. just keep hydrated!
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
1osfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
some of us live in that heat!!
That's exactly what I told DW!

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
KelleyGirl
Mouseketeer

We brought a Ray Shade for the stroller and that blocked most or all sun. It also covered the stroller to block out noise/distraction during nap time. I would find a shady bench and pull the shade over and let the little one nap when it was very hot We also had a stroller fan.

One other tip. Put sunscreen on before clothes. I once made the mistake of not accounting for the shorts riding up the legs a bit (DS was 2). She got pink knees, luckily not too bad.

My son was 1 year not 6 months. At age 1 we bought the Mickey straw topper for the water bottle. The fun of that made it easy to ingest water all day!
KelleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
cajunbaby1
DIS Veteran

Hats and Sunscreen!! Nothing to heavy in the form of clothes. Plenty to drink; babies can get dehydrated too. Chapstick for their cute little mouths. Getting out of the sun when you can. Like the carosel of progress. You can sit down and enjoy the cool air and get off your feet.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
TiffanyA
Adult daughter of AP holders - now with her own family!

How funny I should see this topic. I just read the first review of this product: Personal A/C

Quote:
This is a must-have for all parents, especially if you have a newborn during the warm months.

We went to Disney World this year and my son was only 5 months at that point. I knew he would be confined to his stroller for most of the trip, so I wanted to make sure he was as comfortable as possible. The weather in FL got quite hot and humid and I wanted to make sure he wouldn't overheat.

I found the Handy Cooler - First-ever Evaporative Cooling Mini Fan / Battery Fan / Small Desk Fan / mini air conditioner - BLACK and thought that would be perfect but I wasn't sure how I would be able to put it in his stroller without him messing with it...and then to my surprise I found this stroller upgrade kit! So I bought the Handy Cooler and this upgrade kit and it worked great!

The fan is hidden behind with a tube that can be expanded a lot and clipped in behind your baby, where they can't reached it. The air is cooled with water, like an air conditioner and then blown through the tube into the stroller.

I had the stroller travel system (where I placed his infant carseat in the stroller) so I was able to completely close the him in with the A/C unit. Even when we were burning up he was nice and cool! At one point I had to turn it all the way up high and then had to turn it down because it got so cool in his little stroller cocoon, it worked so well. It was a lot of stress off of me, not having to worry about him being overheated. We were really able to enjoy our vacation...all of us! I can't wait to use this again this Spring and Summer when we go visit the South-West.
TiffanyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #12
4disneyfreakazoids
Earning My Ears

We brought our DD when she was only 2 months old in July and all she did was sleep. We had a misting fan that we kept on her and took lots of breaks as was suggested. The personal AC sounds awesome!!!
4disneyfreakazoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
3kidsandagoldenpuppy
Earning My Ears

I have not in the summer but am in april. DD will be 14 weeks old. I took ds last yr at 4 months. did fine It was hot too but not unbearable.
3kidsandagoldenpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Jilian
DIS Veteran

6 mos is a good age because they can wear sunscreen if needed. Most peds recommend avoiding sunscreen before 6 mos unless absolutely necessary. We live in FL and it gets HOT in the summer. I'd stick to morning and evening visits to the parks, get one of those spray fans, last we checked the ones in Disney were $17 and worth their weight in gold! Stay well hydrated, and offer your little one plenty to drink. If your little one will wear a big floppy hat that will help keep the sun off her face. I personally think that taking a 6 month old to Disney is a heck of a lot easier than taking a 2 year old! I'm sure she'll be content just being carried around and seeing all of the sights. If you use baby carriers you'll want something light and breathable. I have a Vatanai wrap for the summer because of the breathability, if you don't want to spend that much on a wrap get a gauze sling or wrap. They even make one out of something called solarveil that is supposed to block out some of the UV rays.

Adventures in vow renewal planning! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2727345
Jilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
MistressMerryweather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
6 mos is a good age because they can wear sunscreen if needed. Most peds recommend avoiding sunscreen before 6 mos unless absolutely necessary.
There are several natural sunscreens(California Baby, UV Naturals, Soleo, etc.) out now that are chemical-free and are safe for infants under 6 months. The main reason sunscreens have not been recommended for under 6 months is because of the chemicals.
We choose the natural ones anyway. The less chemicals, the better.

I second the solarveil slings. We have one and they are awesome for the pool and dry in minutes.

Me ~ DH ~ Ds(11) ~ Dd(9) ~ Ds(5) ~ Dd(3) ...our Sept. 2010 DW souvenir ~ Dd(1)

MistressMerryweather is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: