Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
hortmmens
Earning My Ears

Has anyone celebrated a birthday at Disney? Can Disney do anything special?

We are planning to go to Disney World to celebrate my kids birthdays (Daughter will be 5 and son will be 7). Does Disney do anything to make birthday's special? Has anyone had a birthday at Disney? Thanks!
hortmmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Hundreds of people celebrate a birthday at WDW each day. You can get a free birthday pin at Guest Services. Some of the CMs will give a little more attention to the person wearing the button. Sometimes, sit down restaurants will offer a desert to a birthday person.

If you mention it to the front desk of the resort, sometimes they will put a couple of balloons or an autographed character picture in your room. \

Bottom line, don't count on anything happening. It is all very hit or miss depending on the CMs you interact with and the mood of the day. If you really want something special for the birthday person, purchase it. You can get some nice things through the Disney Florist or you can order a cake through Disney.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
aLLpInK
Totally Obsessed

We celebrated our dd 8th birthday there last year. When we arrived we got her a Birthday button and she wore it on her bday and a couple days after that. She got so much attention with it that by the third or fourth day she was actually tired of getting called out for her birthday!! Everywhere we went she got sang to, wished happy birthday, and extra desserts at meals. It was great!!
aLLpInK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
hortmmens
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the quick feedback! This would be our first trip to Disney, so I am not certain of what options we can even purchase that could make the birthday more special. We are willing to pay for special touches - any thoughts?
hortmmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
stashbin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
Hundreds of people celebrate a birthday at WDW each day. You can get a free birthday pin at Guest Services. Some of the CMs will give a little more attention to the person wearing the button. Sometimes, sit down restaurants will offer a desert to a birthday person.

If you mention it to the front desk of the resort, sometimes they will put a couple of balloons or an autographed character picture in your room. \

Bottom line, don't count on anything happening. It is all very hit or miss depending on the CMs you interact with and the mood of the day. If you really want something special for the birthday person, purchase it. You can get some nice things through the Disney Florist or you can order a cake through Disney.
We checked on this and found it was much cheaper to sneak the stuff on the trip with us and put it out ourselves. The morning of the actual birthday, we got dressed and DH walked ahead of me to the buses. I stayed behind and put out stuffed animals and presents for my DD. When we got back she was surprised. Also, when mousekeeping saw what I had done, she added a couple of towel animals!!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
dsnymomof4
DIS Veteran

Definitely mention it when you're checking in and when making any dining reservations. They will usually bring out a dessert and sing to them.

July 2002: offsite(1st family trip); Aug 2004:Pop;July 2005:Pop; Dec 2005:All Star Sports/BWV;Aug 2006:Pop(free dining!); Dec 2006: BC(adults only);Apr 2007: SSR-Easter/DD9 birthday trip ; Oct 2007: SSR-MNSSHP/DD11 birthday trip;Apr 2008:BC/VWL-DS14 HS marching band@MK, 1st trip w/new babyooh:; Nov/Dec 2008: Pop; ESPN wknd 2009-DH 5K@DHS:BWV/Pop; Aug 2009:VB/Pop-Free Dining!; Jan 2010:GF; Nov 2010:BC;Apr 2012:BWV-Surprise Easter/DD14 birthday trip; Jan 2013:POR-Marathon/FD; June 2013: Surprise/school's out trip:VB/SSR/POR/BWV; Dec 2013:Pop FD extended family trip
dsnymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortmmens View Post
so I am not certain of what options we can even purchase that could make the birthday more special. We are willing to pay for special touches - any thoughts?
We have been to WDW on DD's actual birthday several times.

I think the most memorable thing we did on her on her special day was take an
Illuminations Celebration Cruise - our boat was decorated with banner, streamers, etc. I also called the Boardwalk Bakery & arranged for a special cake to be made. It was delivered right to our boat before we departed for Epcot. The crew of two cast members initiated the singing of "Happy Birthday" to DD right before Illluminations began. It was wonderful to be enjoying birthday cake on DD's b-day, while watching Illuminations.
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Disney will give you a button. Besides maybe a free fast pass or a cupcake, Disney won't be giving much away. CM's might pay a little extra attention. It's YOUR childs birthday, YOU should make it special IMO. Don't go looking for freebies, you may get disappointed.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

This link might give you some ideas:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/cel...ustomizations/

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
elilala
Mouseketeer

at Disneyland ,at least, they have actual birthday parties , hosted by Pat E. Cake , and with the specail geust - you guessed it - Mickey Mouse! We took my autistic cousin and another little boy in our group to have a birthday party there. They both absolutely LOVED it. It's a little spendy, but definately worth it
Old 03-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
imthatgirl
DIS Veteran

We have celebrated a few birthdays there. The kids always get a few birthday wishes from CMs, but thats it. I never went expecting anything. Also there will be hundreds of people wearing birthday pins, the CMs just can't make somehting special happen for all of them.

We also order the kids a cake for the birthday dinner. Here are a few we've had

imthatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
dragonfly08
DIS Veteran

DD #1 went to Disney as her fifth birthday gift. Her actual birthday was three days before we arrived.

I got her a birthday button at check-in. That first night, we went to Epcot and when I went to buy her a Mickey bar the CM at the cart told us it was "on Mickey" as a birthday gift. We returned to our room later on to find balloons and an autographed photo of Mickey on her bed. The next morning she received a special cupcake with candle after her meal at Chef Mickey's. For the entire four days, she got lots of birthday wishes (both verbal and in writing in her autograph book) from CMs and characters throughout the parks. It all made her feel very special and was far more than I'd ever expected.

We are going to WDW next month as DD #2's fifth birthday gift (her birthday isn't actually until the summer, but this is the only time I can swing the travel before late fall and by going now instead of then, we get to meet up with family there). She'll get her button, and if that's all then I'll still be happy and so will she. Anything else will be a wonderful surprise.
dragonfly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
Darkside
Mouseketeer

My daughter, my grandson and I have celebrated at WDW at different times. My daughter got a White Chocolate Donald Duck with a few balloons and a signed 8X10 picture of Mickey and Minnie wishing her a Happy Birthday. My grandson and I got similar gifts and of course a birthday pin.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I took DN for her birthday (5th). When we arrived there were balloons and a signed picture from the princesses in our room. She got a special birthday cupcake at our TS meals and a Birthday Princess crown at 1900 Park Fare. She also got an autographed birthday placement at the TS meals. She received lots of extra attention from the CMs and the characters and one CM gave her a LE Tinkerbelle pin. She also got picked to be in the Lion King show at AK.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
nilseks
DIS Veteran

Here's my best birthday story...

When we went to WDW last October, we were celebrating my son's 7th birthday during that trip. We checked in and got his birthday pin. He is funny about wearing stuff like that, but I convinced him to let me put it on his back. So we got all checked in and headed straight over to Epcot--he wanted to go straight to Test Track, his favorite ride. Got over there and the Fast Pass machines were all down, and there was a sign saying the FP machine was broken and the lines were HUGE. I saw a CM and very nicely asked her what was up. She said, "I'm really sorry but the FP machines are broken and will be down for the rest of the day." I said something like, "Oh what a bummer we just arrived today and my son wanted to go on this so badly." I was just saying it offhandedly. I thanked her and we turned around to go on our way, and that is when she saw the birthday button. She called out my son's name and asked it if was his birthday. He turned around and said yes--by this time he was visibly upset b/c he had been so psyched to go on the ride. She said, "follow me, I think I can make a magic moment for you." She proceeded to take us into Test Track 'the back way' and put us straight on the ride! It was such an awesome moment, truly magical, and yes we will never forget it. I am not saying things like this happen to everyone (they don't!) but it would not have happened for us if he hadn't been wearing the birthday button.

He wore it for a few more days and received many cheerful greetings and a cupcake or two. It was all good fun.

Tags
birthday, birthday ideas, birthday trip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: