Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
housemouse
Mouseketeer
 
housemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 418

Wanyama Safari questions

I'm considering booking this during our September stay, but I have some questions.

It is open to all AKL guests now, not just concierge level, is that correct?
How far in advance can you book? And whom do you call to book?

Are tips included for dinner?

Has anyone had any negative experiences with this tour? Just didn't wow them? Feel it wasn't worth it?
housemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Donaldswife
DIS Veteran
 
Donaldswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 1,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemouse View Post
I'm considering booking this during our September stay, but I have some questions.

It is open to all AKL guests now, not just concierge level, is that correct?
How far in advance can you book? And whom do you call to book?

Are tips included for dinner?

Has anyone had any negative experiences with this tour? Just didn't wow them? Feel it wasn't worth it?

I have this booked for our May trip and I know it is open to all AKL guests. You must call the AKL IPO office at 407-938-4755.

As for the rest I'm hoping to hear some opinions as well!
Donaldswife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
RachaelA
DIS Veteran
 
RachaelA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1145 miles from the mouse
Posts: 5,112

You know I don't remember about the tip.... if someone else doesn't chime in with an answer by this afternoon I'll dig out my room charge list from our trip in 09 and see if we tipped or not.

Everyone on our safari had a blast (10 adults and 3 kids). We definitely recommend this!
__________________

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia
 
Simba's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Harlingen, TX, USA
Posts: 25,149

I also had questions about the Wanyama Safari! And I also want to book it in September. I did it in 2008, and I know it was open to all resort guests then, since I've never stayed concierge. Since the Chef at Jiko has changed since then, I was wondering what the dinner includes now. Three years ago, they served 3 offerings, family style, at each of 3 courses. Also, each course was accompanied by a small glass of red wine. Some of the offerings were the beef with macaroni, and for dessert they offered the pictachio cremem brulee, and that's why I wondered what was offered now. I don't think anyone tipped. Obviously I loved it, since this September would be a repeat trip. I can't remember-how far ahead can you book, and is it offered every night?
__________________
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,458

Subscribing.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
rockydek
Disney4us
 
rockydek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts ,North Shore
Posts: 498

Safari

Booked in June for fathers day present.
__________________
rockydek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
OhThePain
DIS Veteran
 
OhThePain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,703

I hope that more people chime in, especially with expereinces. We are looking to book this for our first night October (we take the first flight out in the morning). Also, with no intention to hijack, is it rain or shine? Or what happens if it does rain?
__________________
No tickers for a while

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
let'sgo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,141

I was also looking at this for my trip in Sept. Waiting to hear more . . . .
let'sgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
RachaelA
DIS Veteran
 
RachaelA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1145 miles from the mouse
Posts: 5,112

What kind of questions do you guys want answered? DH and I did it in June 09. We absolutely loved it. This is when it was $160 for CL guests and $210 for non-club level guests. We were staying club level so we also did the Sunrise Safari and we didn't like it. It was definitely overshadowed by the Wanyama Safari.

I don't know if the food choices have changed since Jiko's menu changed. It was family style.We had 3 appetizers (bread/dips, savannah rolls, and a 3rd I can't remember), 3 entrees (filet/mac and cheese, whatever the chicken dish was at the time with goat cream cheese mashed potatoes, and the halibut), 3 desserts (pistachio creme brulee, some type of chocolate cake and a 3rd I can't remember, and a glass of wine with each course (white, red, and an ice wine for dessert).
__________________

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Donaldswife
DIS Veteran
 
Donaldswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 1,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
What kind of questions do you guys want answered? DH and I did it in June 09. We absolutely loved it. This is when it was $160 for CL guests and $210 for non-club level guests. We were staying club level so we also did the Sunrise Safari and we didn't like it. It was definitely overshadowed by the Wanyama Safari.

I don't know if the food choices have changed since Jiko's menu changed. It was family style.We had 3 appetizers (bread/dips, savannah rolls, and a 3rd I can't remember), 3 entrees (filet/mac and cheese, whatever the chicken dish was at the time with goat cream cheese mashed potatoes, and the halibut), 3 desserts (pistachio creme brulee, some type of chocolate cake and a 3rd I can't remember, and a glass of wine with each course (white, red, and an ice wine for dessert).
Did the price include gratuities or do you need to tip extra?
Just wondering if it was worth the cost (but you said it was wonderful so I guess that answers that!)
Were the CM's on the tour personable/knowledgeable?
My DD9 is 51.5 inches tall, do you think she will have any trouble seeing over the sides of the safari vehicle?
Do they replenish food, or is it just a set amount of food? (I'm just wondering in case the other people are pigs and hog all the food!)

As for cost, it is now $190.64 per person (co child discount) for all. No discounted rate for CL guests.

Thanks for offering your insight! It is appreciated.
Donaldswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 8,433

Did the price include gratuities or do you need to tip extra?

i don't remember tipping extra but others might remember better...

Just wondering if it was worth the cost

yes.

Were the CM's on the tour personable/knowledgeable?

yes.

My DD9 is 51.5 inches tall, do you think she will have any trouble seeing over the sides of the safari vehicle?

i know there's an age limit - can't remember if it's 8 or 10 - but height wouldn't be an issue.

Do they replenish food, or is it just a set amount of food? (I'm just wondering in case the other people are pigs and hog all the food!)

it's a LOT of food. i thought it was great to have the jiko menu in a "family style" format...here was the menu in dec2010:

Taste of Africa - Trio of Dips with Assorted Breads and House-made Naan
Barbecue Chicken Flatbread
Crispy Beef Bobotie Roll
Tibs Watt in Panekoeke
Sikhumbuzo's Peri Peri Chicken
Maize-crusted wreckfish
Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon - still had the macaroni and cheese/red wine
__________________
-Charles

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
sndral
DIS Veteran
 
sndral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,681

We did this 11/30/10. I made the reservation 6 months out and paid when we checked in on the day of the safari. We met in the little waiting area by Jiko. There were 10 of us total. We walked out to the front of AKL and climbed aboard our truck. Even if someone is short, the truck stops several times and you are able to stand up and move from side to side and take photos. The guide was one of the animal keepers and she was great. The driver was also an animal keeper. We learned so much about many of the animals, some had been banished from Kilimanjaro safari because of behavior issues, for example, the Hartnel Mtn. zebras on our savannah had only been put there the day before, why the one Ankole cattle on Arusha always tilts his head (I forget his name,) that type of thing. I wish I'd brought a little notebook. She told us about the situation in their native land for some of the animals, the breeding programs, personalities, names. etc.. For a dedicated nature/nat'l geographic phobe like me it was wonderful.
Dinner at Jiko followed, our group had such a great time we overstayed and some of us wandered out to the outdoor fire to continue our chatting. The Chef came out to talk about each course along with a trainee chef. I'm not a huge food person and we had a number of signature dinners that trip, of which Jiko was the first, so I don't remember much about the food - flat breads, definately, filet as one of the entrees was outstanding. Some items came out on shared plates, but many were presented individually, as well. I believe I left a tip, but can't recall - I know it sounds like I was looped, but I didn't try any of the wines, although they were offered with each course and one of the deserts came in an adult or kid version (w/ or w/out alcohol added.)
When we next stay @ AKL, we'll definately do this again and this time I'm taking a notebook to make notes about whatever animals are on the savannah I'm on. I think it's smart to do the safari early in your stay so that you have the info. on the animals in your savannah that you'll be seeing for the next several days. I have photos, but don't know how to post them - sorry.
And whether we are @ AKL or not, Jiko is now on our ever increasing must eat there list of restaurants.
I can say it's a lovely thing to do and we really enjoyed the experience.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
Donaldswife
DIS Veteran
 
Donaldswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 1,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
Did the price include gratuities or do you need to tip extra?

i don't remember tipping extra but others might remember better...

Just wondering if it was worth the cost

yes.

Were the CM's on the tour personable/knowledgeable?

yes.

My DD9 is 51.5 inches tall, do you think she will have any trouble seeing over the sides of the safari vehicle?

i know there's an age limit - can't remember if it's 8 or 10 - but height wouldn't be an issue.

Do they replenish food, or is it just a set amount of food? (I'm just wondering in case the other people are pigs and hog all the food!)

it's a LOT of food. i thought it was great to have the jiko menu in a "family style" format...here was the menu in dec2010:

Taste of Africa - Trio of Dips with Assorted Breads and House-made Naan
Barbecue Chicken Flatbread
Crispy Beef Bobotie Roll
Tibs Watt in Panekoeke
Sikhumbuzo's Peri Peri Chicken
Maize-crusted wreckfish
Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon - still had the macaroni and cheese/red wine
Thank you so much, that is all very helpful! I think we are going to go ahead and keep the reservation. I guess I just wanted some confirmation/reassurance from some who had been there/done that!
Donaldswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Donaldswife
DIS Veteran
 
Donaldswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 1,031

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
We did this 11/30/10. I made the reservation 6 months out and paid when we checked in on the day of the safari. We met in the little waiting area by Jiko. There were 10 of us total. We walked out to the front of AKL and climbed aboard our truck. Even if someone is short, the truck stops several times and you are able to stand up and move from side to side and take photos. The guide was one of the animal keepers and she was great. The driver was also an animal keeper. We learned so much about many of the animals, some had been banished from Kilimanjaro safari because of behavior issues, for example, the Hartnel Mtn. zebras on our savannah had only been put there the day before, why the one Ankole cattle on Arusha always tilts his head (I forget his name,) that type of thing. I wish I'd brought a little notebook. She told us about the situation in their native land for some of the animals, the breeding programs, personalities, names. etc.. For a dedicated nature/nat'l geographic phobe like me it was wonderful.
Dinner at Jiko followed, our group had such a great time we overstayed and some of us wandered out to the outdoor fire to continue our chatting. The Chef came out to talk about each course along with a trainee chef. I'm not a huge food person and we had a number of signature dinners that trip, of which Jiko was the first, so I don't remember much about the food - flat breads, definately, filet as one of the entrees was outstanding. Some items came out on shared plates, but many were presented individually, as well. I believe I left a tip, but can't recall - I know it sounds like I was looped, but I didn't try any of the wines, although they were offered with each course and one of the deserts came in an adult or kid version (w/ or w/out alcohol added.)
When we next stay @ AKL, we'll definately do this again and this time I'm taking a notebook to make notes about whatever animals are on the savannah I'm on. I think it's smart to do the safari early in your stay so that you have the info. on the animals in your savannah that you'll be seeing for the next several days. I have photos, but don't know how to post them - sorry.
And whether we are @ AKL or not, Jiko is now on our ever increasing must eat there list of restaurants.
I can say it's a lovely thing to do and we really enjoyed the experience.

Thank you! Sounds like we will be keeping our reservation for this one!
Donaldswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

Kids have to be 8 or older. A 9 year old will be fine. No height restrictions.

I don't remember if tip for the meal was included either.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.