Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
luvmylittleboy2003
DIS Veteran

Xm radio...is it worth the money?

I bought a car that has a satalite radio...but, never subscribed to it. For those who have it, do like it and find it worth the money? What are your favorite stations? Thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

I have it. We listen to 20 thru 31 mostly pop stations. we just renewed for another year for $100 year. My next vehicle will definitely have it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
mickeygirl14
Mouseketeer

My DH got a trial subscription in his new car and he wasn't crazy about it. He liked the talk stations okay, but the music stations he said ran almost as many commercials/breaks as a regular station and they kept playing the same songs over and over. (I can attest to that...I drove DD to gymnastics one night - a 7 minute drive over, hour lesson and 7 minute drive home. In the 14-15 minutes we were in the car within an hour and half's time on the same station, we heard a song repeated. And then heard it again the next morning. Ugh.) We also heard from our neighbor that XM is bad about renewing your subscription without asking and then sending you a bill, even if you're not using it. They had a lot of trouble trying to get it cancelled.

'84: Offsite '94: Offsite '96: ASMu Disneymoon Aug '00: POFQ Sept '07: FW-Cabins Sept '10: POR
Feb '11: Made it to WWOHP Sept '11: CR June '12: Swan Surprise Trip Oct '12: Marriott June '13: BC Oct '13: Hilton
June '14: Hilton Oct '14: Hilton

My first WWOHP Visit Report - Did I mention there was FREE butterbeer?

A Host of HOKIES Heads Back to the World! - Sept 2011 PTR.
mickeygirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
bellebud
DIS Veteran

we've had sirius radio for a few years now and love it. we have 4 subscriptions actually (one for each car, one for home and one for our business). DH loves Howard Stern, I love Howard too (but can't listen too often because the kids are in the car), I love the talk channels (doctor radio, martha stewart, politics of the US, blue collar comedy), and my kids love the Disney channel. there's probably a lot more on there that I'd love equally, I just happen to stick to those stations. I love the 80's "hair band" channel - because they have a sound bit of a spray of hair spray all the time (for those big hairdo's)... I crack up every time I hear that - LOL!
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
DeniseinNS
DIS Veteran

I had the preview of XM when I first bought my vehicle last year. My husband just renewed it for me and got a deal for $4.95 a month for 6 months. I love the 80's and 90's stations and the kids love Radio Disney.
DeniseinNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

DH travels to/from WDC/Orlando several times a year and really appreciates not having to find a station he likes every time he moves from city to city and state to state. He also likes getting the weather and traffic reports on demand. He has Sirius/XM combined (can you still get them separately?) and we renew it each year for his birthday.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
epcotprincess
Love all of WDW, but Epcot is my happy place!

I love my Sirius XM. I definitely think it's worth it.

I have not had the experience of hearing commercials with the exception of 1 station (Cosmo). The only station I notice repeats a lot of songs are the stations with current music since obviously there's only so many current hits.

I love 80s on 8, 90s on 9, Hit List, The Heat, NPR Talk, NPR Now, Classic Rock, Coffeehouse, and when I am driving with DD, we like the kid's station and Radio Disney.

Me & DH DD4 and DS2
epcotprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

If you are getting it just for the music I don't think it is worth it (I have over a terabyte of my own music and can play what I want) but if you like the exclusive talk content (Opie & Anthony or Howard Stern for example) or if you get it for the sports packages I think it is worth it. I would definitely get a portable XM radio though in addition to the one built into the car though so you can actually listen to it when you want as opposed to just in the car.

Last edited by FireDancer; 03-10-2011 at 09:03 AM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I really like it (I have the XM channels). For the last two days, I had to drive my daughter's car, which does not have it, and I felt so deprived.

I mainly listen to:
7 = 70's
8 = 80's
9 = 90's

20-30 which are predominantly the pop, folk rock, soft rock, love songs, and like type of music.

Then I hit 44-54 which is the harder rock, classic rock, and alternative rock.

I don't listen to any talk radio.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
kiddo76
Mouseketeer

I don't think it's worth it. I got my DH a portable XM player about 7 years ago with a 1 or 2 year subscription (I don't remember which). When it came time to renew, he didn't think it was worth the cost. When it started, there were hardly any commercials, but by the end there seemed to be as many commercials has a regular station. We prefer to listen to regular stations (for free) or our Ipods (and make our own 80s, 90s, etc play lists).
kiddo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
luvmylittleboy2003
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I would mainly want it for music, but, weather and traffic would be great. Do you have to have a unit that supports the weather and traffic? I don't see a buttom on my Delphi SKYFI2 XM for that?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

I've had an XM subscription for 7 years now.

How much it's worth to you is directly related to how happy you are with the broadcast radio where you are now (and how much and where you travel, of course). I've found that most people who don't understand why anyone would pay for satellite radio don't really care what they listen to, or live near a metro area where an FM station still exists that suits their tastes.

The music stations are commerical free, although they do run their own promotions; those of you that say there are just as many commercials probably weren't on a music station. The most popular stations on sat radio are (ironically enough) the pop stations that do play pop music and repeat it a lot, but there are plenty of stations on different formats that do not. Since the merger with Sirius I haven't liked the music stations as much because the Sirius music format is a more shallow playlist, more hits and more DJ chatter like FM, just no commercials. Still, it's much better than my options on FM.

Personally I don't like trying to keep a personal collection of music on an MP3 player (I'm not interested in buying that much music or pirating it), and I'm not satified with FM radio where I live or travel, so sat radio is well worth it to me. At least until something better comes along, which probably won't be until WiFi or cellphone coverage becomes more ubiquitous and can handle lots more data.
surferdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
surferdave
Not hero DIS deserves, but the hero DIS needs right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmylittleboy2003 View Post
Thanks everyone! I would mainly want it for music, but, weather and traffic would be great. Do you have to have a unit that supports the weather and traffic? I don't see a buttom on my Delphi SKYFI2 XM for that?
http://www.siriusxm.com/channellineup

You should be able to get the weather & traffic station on your unit as long as your subscription package includes it; check channels between 210-221. I don't see weather and traffic coverage for Colorado on the list, however.
surferdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

When DH bought a truck that had satellite radio hard wired into it, he gave me his portable unit for my car. We really like it. Yes, some of the stations still do have commercials and that annoyed me for awhile because one of their "selling points" was that it was commercial free. But I guess they didn't get enough subscribers or something, since they started running some commercials. But, on long trips it's nice because you never lose the signal. I like the 60's station the best, but also 40's, 50's and 70's and the country stations.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
poohbearbt
Mouseketeer

I dont listen to anything else. Its a must have in my world.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: