Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #46
ThreeKMom
DIS Veteran

Loving your report, Thanks!

Quick question, was there a carving station at Chef Mickeys?

We are doing dinner there for the first time on our arrival day and my DH is already complaining! It was DD8's pick so he will just have to suffer through, but at least if they have some beef at the carving station he won't starve!

Love & Pixie Dust
ThreeKMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #47
Lil Bo Peep
Mouseketeer

We were there Feb 12-19, so we definitely overlapped a few days! Our room was in the 90's, near the parking lot - not ideal for some, but perfect for us since we rent a car. [/QUOTE]

We were in the 80's, thats where I alway request to stay.
Lil Bo Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #48
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

I didn't read the dining report fully yet but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for giving on. It's really true there aren't many didning reviews with kids included. Its very nice to read that yours will have that!!

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #49
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

wanted to chime in that I am enjoying your reports - you are right that there aren't that many dining reports with little ones ... so seeing you take on it and how your kids reacted in different situations is great

I love the tip about starting off with non-masked characters (i.e., princesses) to get them used to it.

We went a couple of years ago when DD was 8mo old and was great with the characters, but not sure how she will react at our upcoming trip when she will be 2 years and 8mos old - so that is a great tip.

I think we may look to target some more buffets than originally though or just have DD eat off of our plate. She likes food with taste (her two favorite things are calamari and yellow curry) so not sure how some of these kids meals will go over with her

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #50
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoaSweetie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoaSweetie View Post

whoa! those are some big desserts!

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #51
weswife
DIS Veteran

Great review! The pics. are wonderful
Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #52
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Day 8 - 1900 Park Fare breakfast and Mara lunch

Day 8 (our last day )

We packed up our stuff in the morning and then headed over to the Grand Floridian for breakfast at…

1900 Park Fare

This time we knew how long it would take to park and walk over, as we had discovered from last year, so it wasn’t an issue. We left in plenty of time and weren’t rushed. We arrived to check-in, and after doing so, we toured the lobby area with our girls. They enjoyed looking at the decorations around the Grand Floridian, and although I again loved the outside of the resort, the inside just isn’t my style. I’m not sure what exactly they’re going for with their décor, but I think if I was going to choose a Deluxe resort, it wouldn’t be my first choice. Oh well – the likelihood of us ever staying Deluxe is pretty darn rare.

After our pager went off, we went to take our photo in front of the picture of the castle (I think it’s a little odd… we’d taken pictures in front of the REAL castle just that week, but whatever – our girls weren’t super cooperative for the photo anyway and I knew we weren’t going to spend money on their version). We were taken to our table, and discovered that there was a discrepancy – we were seated at a large table, enough seats for eight people, and we only had our four… somehow the reservation had been messed up to say four adults plus two children. When we mentioned this, they looked around and saw a nearby empty four-top table… perfect. Unfortunately, us coming in at that point threw off some of the positioning of the characters because most of them had already come by that table area, but we knew they’d be by again later.

Then our girls remembered another important part of that breakfast – not only were they THRILLED to meet Alice, but Pooh and Tigger were there, too. Of course, I had hoped that they’d be over their fear totally by this point and would love to hug their buddies, but I knew that was just silly thinking, and it’s not like me trying to rationalize with them was going to suddenly diminish their fear. Thankfully, the best character-watching cast member (the ones in the blue shirts) came by and noticed our girls were timid (I think her name was Bobbi?). She was so sweet – she asked if there was an issue for us with the characters, and we let her know that our girls were frightened of Pooh and Tigger, but excited to meet the others. But at the same time, DD1 was trying to mention that she might be more brave this time and sit at the table (covering her eyes, lol) so that they could sign her autograph book. Well sweet Bobbi (I hope that was really her name!) suggested that she could just take the autograph papers to her friends Tigger and Pooh and have them sign without actually coming over to our table. Problem solved! It was a perfect suggestion, and we were so grateful for her kindness. So both DD’s got a Pooh and a Tigger signature in their books (and I took pictures of them signing the papers), and of course they love to tell that story when they show off their autograph books.

We then realized that the rest of the characters would be awhile, so we went off to get some breakfast. Or rather, DH went up, but since we had been at Chef Mickey’s the night before (where it was the same food on both sides), he was assuming the layout was similar and forgot to look at both sides. So he went up and got breakfast for our girls (Mickey waffles with strawberries, which was a fine breakfast, was mostly finished when I finally got my phone out for a picture), but he was disappointed in the lack of selection for himself (his plate is the bottom picture with Mickey waffles, breakfast pizza from the kid’s section, bacon, and hash browns… he enjoyed the food, he just thought there would be more choices – and there were, he just didn’t see them ).

I went up next and went to the other side, too… totally different! And I loved the selection on the other side (well, both of them together). I found that there were different fruits on each side, so I was able to load up, and then I got some protein, too… eggs, bacon, and sausage. Yummy!

DH went back up later and got a bunch more that he loved (again, breakfast foods pretty much can’t go wrong for him) and he was much more satisfied. I went up again, too, because I wanted to indulge in something extra-yummy. I got a pecan cinnamon bun (yum!), hashbrowns (and maybe another potato? I don’t remember what else is in the picture, but I do love potatoes so it wouldn’t surprise me that I got two types), and the best… lobster eggs benedict! It was sooooo good! Mmmmm, just thinking about it makes me hungry.

While we were eating, Alice was getting close to our table, and then we realized that our spot was just off – because of our table situation at the beginning, our girls watched her come by and then she had to go in for her break before coming out to greet us. The same thing happened with the Mad Hatter (Mary Poppins had been by earlier). It wasn’t a huge deal, and we were in no rush because we didn’t have any major plans for our last day, but it might have been annoying if we had planned to go into the parks after breakfast. Anyway, she did finally come by and our girls were super excited to see her! The Mad Hatter was a little concerning to both DD’s… honestly, for them, they’re just not a fan of “strange” men in general, so they just didn’t get excited or want to talk to him. But the Mad Hatter was HILARIOUS! He took our autograph pens (those kooky pens with the funny tops in Snow White and Cinderella) and started having them talk to each other and just be silly. It had me laughing, and although they tried to hold it in, I saw both DD’s laugh a little, too… and they’ve certainly talked about it later. It was fun to see a character have such fun with his interactions!

Overall, we’d give 1900 Park Fare a 10/10 for breakfast – the food was delicious, the characters and staff were great, and we really enjoyed it.

We enjoyed our relaxing last day, toured and shopped some in Downtown Disney, and then decided to check out another resort for lunch, so we headed over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for lunch at…

Mara

AKL is beautiful! Our girls loved looking at the pool, and I think there was a little desire to be able to go in that pool, but they weren’t upset that we couldn’t. We also got to see some animals on the savannah, which was extra cool! It did take us a long time to find Mara, though… we didn’t have a map of the resort and tried to follow signs, but kept getting confused. We finally asked for help.

This is where we discovered a great thing about staying in value resorts (besides the cost savings )… the counter service has so much more to offer there! There wasn’t anything wrong with the Mara, but I just like a lot of choices – at Everything Pop, I could easily eat a different meal for every meal for a week and be satisfied – I just don’t think you could do that at Mara. But of course no one’s really doing that, so it’s not a huge issue. The restaurant was pretty empty when we came, so we were greeted with a menu to make our choices. I decided on the Mara Salad with Chicken – a flavorful chicken on top of a salad with chickpeas, cheese, black olives, onions, tomatoes, and a vinaigrette. It was really tasty! DD2 ate most of my chickpeas, but that’s okay. My dessert choice was zebra domes – I had heard of them on here and was excited to try them. They were really yummy, too! I’m not sure how to describe them, but they were sweet and good.

DH got a cheese flatbread, and also got zebra domes (Mara doesn’t have as many dessert choices as Everything Pop, either, but thankfully their choices were good) that he liked, too. He also discovered here that he could get one of those big energy drinks as his drink – how had we not realized that before? I don’t like them at all, but DH does and we just don’t ever buy them, so he was excited to get one. I’m guessing he’ll remember that next time.

DD’s spit mac & cheese with applesauces and applejuice… and were happy to help us eat finish our meals and our zebra domes, which we never could have finished on our own.

After our meal, we needed a restroom visit before we headed out, and we discovered the bathrooms right next to the Mara. Our DD’s fell in love with that bathroom – I think the newer resorts have the kid-size sinks even lower than the older park sinks, and even DD2 could reach everything. They LOVED that!!!! DD1 helped DD2 get her soap and they stood there for a good five minutes just washing their hands together in such joy, lol. I was happy to have their hands clean, and loving the fun, too. I love that Disney caters to even the young guests!!!!!!

After our time at AKL, we headed to the airport for our trip home, so I guess that’s the end of my report! Please let me know if any of it doesn’t make sense or needs clarification, or of course if you have any questions. I’m currently pricing out our options for next year if we try to make another Disney trip before DD2 turns 3 or if the prices for Disney Cruise Line go down for leaving out of NY so we could do that instead. Oh how I love the planning!

We are so blessed! Trip to WDW in the 80s courtesy of Make-A-Wish, two trips in the 90s thanks to youth group and a band trip, then a trip in 2004 with DH - what started the trend. Another short trip in 2005, a trip to DisneyLand in 2008 with our DD1, another trip to WDW in 2008 with DD1, trip in 2010 with DD1 and DD2, and just another in February 2011 with DD1 and DD2. It's been amazing!

DH, me, and our two beautiful girls (5 and 3)

Our dining report from our February 2011 trip
MommytoaSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #53
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
whoa! those are some big desserts!
Big desserts are awesome!

We are so blessed! Trip to WDW in the 80s courtesy of Make-A-Wish, two trips in the 90s thanks to youth group and a band trip, then a trip in 2004 with DH - what started the trend. Another short trip in 2005, a trip to DisneyLand in 2008 with our DD1, another trip to WDW in 2008 with DD1, trip in 2010 with DD1 and DD2, and just another in February 2011 with DD1 and DD2. It's been amazing!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #54
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
I think we may look to target some more buffets than originally though or just have DD eat off of our plate. She likes food with taste (her two favorite things are calamari and yellow curry) so not sure how some of these kids meals will go over with her
Yeah, I think that trying bites of our food (still at the buffets, our girls aren't usually adventurous in trying foods on their own plates) helped break up the boredom of the kid's meals, but our kids also obviously didn't mind getting the same foods more than once.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #55
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKMom View Post
Loving your report, Thanks!

Quick question, was there a carving station at Chef Mickeys?

We are doing dinner there for the first time on our arrival day and my DH is already complaining! It was DD8's pick so he will just have to suffer through, but at least if they have some beef at the carving station he won't starve!
I think there was in the middle, but I'm not positive. I don't usually go for a carving board meat, and DH just doesn't remember one way or the other.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #56
mama03
DIS Veteran

Do you recall at crystal palace if they still had the breakfast lasagne? Its not meat or cheese but fruit based.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #57
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama03 View Post
Do you recall at crystal palace if they still had the breakfast lasagne? Its not meat or cheese but fruit based.
Well bummer... that sounds yummy and we didn't see it! Sorry. I guess we'll have to plan another trip

Old 04-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #58
RachaelRol
DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed your report! Thank you so much.
RachaelRol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: