Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully

Guys these are ALL so great!
Love them!
I'm sure more of us have them!

Step right up - show us your soft underbelly!
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
rosiep
I don't drink, I try to convert people to nudism!
while it was a beautiful experience it was a slurge
I'm one of those people who need coffee just so I can make coffee

Ok...here's two more:

First, I am acutely aware that I am getting older. No longer my adorable younger self getting the wolf whistles I once did-

At any rate, I try to always acknowledge older women because I know that the elderly can be invisible. On one trip to Disney there was a beautifully dressed older woman with a young family. I tapped her shoulder and said I just wanted to say how lovely she looked....well...tears welled in her eyes and she asked if she could give me a hug. She then proceeded to tell me how her husband had very recently passed away and that she almost didn't come on this trip with their son and his family because it was something they used to do together. Then she said: Every morning he would tell me how lovely I looked! I have to believe that this (meaning my telling her) was his way of reassuring me that he's still here and I am not alone.

Of course we were all crying by then.

I just felt this encounter was somehow facilitated by being in a place where talking to strangers doesn't seem odd. I love how it is enjoyed by the old and the young. Magical indeed!

The second is very run of the mill: My daughter Tara is my favorite Disney partner. She is in her early twenties and the fun we have at Disney is unmatched. Pee in your pants laughing. I am so grateful for the chance to step outside real life and do this with her. She was always a good kid, and now a really good person. When I'm with her at Disney I am made keenly (and joyously) aware that I have broken the cycle of abuse....again...MAGIC
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
2GirlsMama
Happy Wife and Mom

I had one of the greatest experiences at WDW during our last visit. We were getting ready to get on the boat to MK for EMH. My youngest daughter said that her tummy hurt so she and my DH returned to Wilderness Lodge.

My older daughter and I decided to go to MK alone. Having that wonderful kid all to myself in the Magic Kingdom was the singular most wonderful WDW moment ever. She is 11 so she is a tween, but that night she was my little girl again. We held hands and explored the MK at night. We felt like we were on an adventure. I just followed her around and let her do whatever she wanted. She giggled and laughed and enjoyed being there. We went to the Laugh Floor and she was just cracking up at all the jokes. We had the photo pass people take our picture at the castle, we went purse shopping, we rode rides and we laughed. When we went back to the Lodge she held my hand and told me it was the greatest night of her life. She told me that she wants to leave a legacy like Walt Disney so more people can have experiences like we had that night. I will never forget my daughter's face that night, or the feelings we shared just loving each other and loving WDW!

On the boat ride back to the lodge she said she knows that she will be able to do great things like Walt Disney because she has a family who loves her.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
Tosie
1100 miles from "home"

This was actually dh's experience and he was the only witness.

We had just finished a princess breakfast at Akershus and dh went use the men's room before we went back into the park. Several feet in front of him was Snow White and there wasn't another soul in the hallway with them. She was skipping and humming and swinging her skirt. He watched as she skipped towards a door and right before she went through it she twirled and giggled and flounced away. She never saw him.

To this day (this was 6 years ago) he lists this as one of his most magical disney memories - he was so amazed and appreciative that Snow White WAS Snow White, even if "no one" was watching!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
rosiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosie View Post
This was actually dh's experience and he was the only witness.

We had just finished a princess breakfast at Akershus and dh went use the men's room before we went back into the park. Several feet in front of him was Snow White and there wasn't another soul in the hallway with them. She was skipping and humming and swinging her skirt. He watched as she skipped towards a door and right before she went through it she twirled and giggled and flounced away. She never saw him.

To this day (this was 6 years ago) he lists this as one of his most magical disney memories - he was so amazed and appreciative that Snow White WAS Snow White, even if "no one" was watching!
Great story!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
wolfe98pr
Earning My Ears

So true!
It's like 'Welcome Home' is cue for magical fairy dust to fall upon you putting you into the instant mouse-erapy mode. Reminding you ....Yes, mow that you are here, the fun begins!! Corny, but I get that every time!!
wolfe98pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #22
Saxton
DIS Veteran

Many, many years ago we somehow talked my Grandmother into going with us to WDW. She wouldn't fly so my parents drove down with her and I flew and met them. Just getting her to go was an amazing thing because she really never travelled. The first day we took her to MK and as we got to Main Street she just stopped for a minute then she turned to me and said "now I know why you like it so much". She's been gone for a long time now but I'm glad I was able to share it with her.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran

This thread is great. It's made me think of a bunch of the little things that we all laugh about as a family and some aha moments.

One was when DS was 5 and had just been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. We spent time wondering what life would be like for him. Well we were at Disney and brought a princess dress for his sister which we pulled out of a bag for her. "Is there anything in that bag for me?" We had brought a Peter Pan costume for him. He was thrilled. That day we watched the parade and Peter Pan saw our son and pointed at himself and pointed at DS and DS walked on air the rest of the trip and somehow from that moment we knew it was going to be okay. That one little gesture from Peter Pan, meant a lot.

"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #24
MinMinn
Earning My Ears

Water adventures at Disney

Two years ago I had a last minute opportunity to take DD(9) and DS(6) for a four-day whirlwind trip. We stayed at CBR and had to take ridiculous flights because they were the only ones even remotely affordable at the last minute on a school vacation week. We arrived very late on a Sunday night. By the time we got checked in it was 12:30am. The CM told us where to catch the shuttle to our area of the resort but we were so darn tired I figure walking would be faster so we set off with a map, all three of us pulling our rolling luggage. We, of course, decided to cut across lawns as much as possible -- anything to get us there as quickly as we could. My kids never stay up past 9 so they were like walking zombies. As we cut across a lawn area, all of a sudden the sprinklers turned on and we got soaked! We squealed and went running back to the pavement. It was hilarious! To this day, even with all that we did on that trip, that is my single best memory, and the one that we recall to each other the most. Who would have guessed that a special moment could come at 12:30am while trudging across a parking lot?

One more for you - this was back in - maybe 1979 or 1980 when River Country was still open. My whole extended family was down at WDW for a reunion of sorts. I have this Great Aunt who was probably in her early 70's at the time. We were on this tubing flume ride where everyone rides in their own tube. I was behind my aunt and a lot of the family was up ahead. As they plunged into the pool at the end of the ride they all turned back to see the rest of us come down the final slide. Well, sure enough no tubes were coming through. My aunt had caused a log jam! I was stuck behind her and I just remember the look of bewilderment on her face. Of course, the family waiting down below were in stitches when they realized it was Aunt Mary who caused the log jam. To this day they have not let her live it down. That definitely ranks in my top 3 disney memories.

Thanks for letting me share.

MinMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #25
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Sorry but this thread is like taking a big Happy Pill!
Thanks for sharing this stuff.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #26
Saxton
DIS Veteran

When I was down in February I got tears in my eyes when I thought I saw Wally but then I realized it couldn’t possibly be him because the guy I saw was dressed very conservatively in a sports coat and pants ... no red pants, no sequins, no feather boa ... no halos or devil’s horns sticking up from his head ... no Hello Kitty haute couture ... but for a brief moment I was quite emotional.

(But then maybe the tears were just because my double espresso was really hot.)
Old 03-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #27
Dead Robot
Earning My Ears

My first trip to MK was when I was 42 years old. Despite wanting to go, I was cynical and skeptic that WDW would be a fun place to visit at my age, but my DH talked me into it. We spent a great week riding the rides and I was genuinely impressed. I regret not going sooner.

On the last night, DH took me to Wishes.

When they booted Tinker Bell out of the tower down the zip line, all lit up and waving her wand I was amazed. It was the moment I fell deeply in love with the place.

Suddenly a small girl standing next to me shouted "TINKABEL!" and started to cry tears of joy. Like, really wailing them out as if Santa Claus brought her a pony with the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy riding it. It was pure magic to her.

Which suddenly made me cry too.

Know that I'm bald, goatee, bearish and my face is set to "biker scorn" as default, yet I can be deeply sentimental. I looked down at the girl and she saw I was crying too. We had a moment.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxton View Post
When I was down in February I got tears in my eyes when I thought I saw Wally but then I realized it couldn’t possibly be him because the guy I saw was dressed very conservatively in a sports coat and pants ... no red pants, no sequins, no feather boa ... no halos or devil’s horns sticking up from his head ... no Hello Kitty haute couture ... but for a brief moment I was quite emotional.

(But then maybe the tears were just because my double espresso was really hot.)
Why I oughta!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #29
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!

So we were staying at DFW - my whole family in one cabin - we had a great time on that trip!

Anyway they love to zip around that resort on those golf carts -
and for some reason this kinda freaked my mom out - she would dash to the side every time and alert us all "Cart! Cart! Get out of the way!" like they were aiming for us! - The rest of us all kind took the carts in stride.

Well one night coming back from the Hoopty-Do we were all walking and laughing and we hear one of the carts coming - mom starts The "Freak Out" and dashes to the side - steps off the road - on what must have been a steep embankment, stumbles and rolls into a gully in the bushes - totally out of sight except for her 2 feet sticking up!

All my sister and I could do was laugh - so hard we had to sit down - finally Helping mom out after a while - She was livid - And the golf cart never even came our way - it went down another street. We still laugh over this story.
Even mom laughs about it ... not then .... but now.

Last edited by wallyb; 03-11-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #30
rosiep

Now Wally....remember that restraining order!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: