Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Princess Merida
Earning My Ears

Split Stay Disney and Davids

Hello, we have been through so many resort choices and have finally booked at Pop preferred pool view for May 2014 for 8 nights. My DH doesn't seem to be as excited as when we were thinking of a deluxe. Deluxe is out of our price range unless we book a DVC rental. I was thinking first part 5 nights Pop with tickets and then 3 or 4 nights BLT/VGF/BWV. I was wondering if anyone here had done a split stay one part through Disney and the other renting DVC points? If so, could you please give me any pros/cons to your experience? One specific question I have is how does Magical Express work in this situation? Thank you all for your help
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Merida View Post
Hello, we have been through so many resort choices and have finally booked at Pop preferred pool view for May 2014 for 8 nights. My DH doesn't seem to be as excited as when we were thinking of a deluxe. Deluxe is out of our price range unless we book a DVC rental. I was thinking first part 5 nights Pop with tickets and then 3 or 4 nights BLT/VGF/BWV. I was wondering if anyone here had done a split stay one part through Disney and the other renting DVC points? If so, could you please give me any pros/cons to your experience? One specific question I have is how does Magical Express work in this situation? Thank you all for your help
Well I can help you with the ME.

You simply request transportation TO Disney on first reservation and transportation FROM Disney on the second.

I also have been scheduling my own here:

www.disneysmagicalexpress.com

You can even schedule if a member is arriving/departing on a different day.
(this happens a lot with our family)

A mom and me connection before year 2 of college. I sure will miss her

CBR,DL1996CBR1997ASmo1999ASmo2000CBR 2002POP AKL 2004 POP GF 2005WLCabin OKW 2006POP Poly POFQ Asmo2007 POP ASMo CSR POP CSR2008 POP WL Poly CSR2009CSR CR BLT Poly YC2010 POR CR-cl BLT2011 CSR POFQ CBR GF-cl POP BLT2012 CSR-bc Poly-CL CR, Poly-CL CBR GF-RPC 2013GF-CL VGF CR-Atrium Club MKV,CR Hospitality Suite Poly CL 2014 POP, GF 19 17
trishadono is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

For the DVC reservation, get the reservation number from the member.

Using that number, you can book DME yourself using the link posted above, but you must have the reservation number.

If you would rather have your DME information for your return flight added by phone, you will not be able to call DVC and do it because you are not a member. I am assuming that brokers like David's can get in touch with the member you are renting from for you to do this, or put you in touch with the member.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

I just did this in June it went very smoothly actually. What we did was book AoA for a few nights thru Disney before our point rental stay at AKV. Disney will move your luggage for you to the next resort, but we opted to just take a taxi. It was only about $20 with tip and well worth it in my opinion. As for magical express, I booked just the inbound from airport to AoA myself and the woman I rented points from booked the outbound from AKV to airport. It was super easy. A few weeks before the trip, I called ME directly to ensure everything was correct. We are boing the same thing again this coming May!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

As a DVC owner, I have done split stays where I did part staying on my points and part staying in a Disney hotel. Since I don't do dining plans or attach park tickets to room keys, I have never noticed a difference.

I don't use Magical Express but I once gave my points to family members and I had to book the Magical Express portion for the return to the airport through DVC member services and they booked the arrival Magical Express through the regular Magical Express process. I believe I've read on here that now both can be booked through Magical Express and it's not required to go through DVC member services. I'm sure someone will clarify this.

One thing to keep in mind is that DVC rooms are rarely ready before the check in time because they take longer to clean. So on your resort change day, you are probably going to be "homeless" all day.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Princess Merida
Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much!! So happy I can still use the Magical Express if we choose to do this. Anyone have any bad experiences doing this kind of split stay?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
cassie58
DIS Veteran

We are trying to do this to, with FD package at CSR and then possibly moving to AKL for a few nights through points from a friend who has DVC. We have always wanted to try there, and this makes it affordable, although we'll lose free dining for those days . But well worth it to see the look on my DD's face when we surprise her My question is do the remainder of our tickets just stay with us on KTTW card when we move rooms/ get transferred to new one at AKL? I know that we keep our dining credits when we check out till midnt., but we wouldn't lose the rest of our tickets when we end our package, right?

cassie58
11/08-ASMo & Timeshare
08/09-CSR
11/11-CSR
11/13-CSR(& AK?)

Last edited by cassie58; 09-12-2013 at 12:32 AM.
cassie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I've done split stays several time using Disney for a few nights and Davids as well. I've never had a single problem. Davids will arrange ME for you on their end, and you can do it yourself for the other reservation. Really easy. I've found Davids to be great to work with every single time. Very nice people and prompt responses.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Princess Merida
Earning My Ears

Not sure about the tickets but I think they stay with your card??? Does anyone know for sure how this works?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Princess Merida
Earning My Ears

Not sure about the tickets but I think they stay with your card??? Does anyone know for sure how this works?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
cassie58
DIS Veteran

Princess Meridia - since no one had answered our ?, I looked up split stay threads, and it seems that tickets are either on your old card, and the new one is your room key, or you can ask at the new resort if they can add them so you only have one card. Most importantly, it was clarified that your tickets are good for fourteen days no matter where you go as I thought- I had heard conflicting answers and began to second guess myself, and was starting to panic that we couldn't move to AKL Very happy we can finalize our plans. HTH!

cassie58
11/08-ASMo & Timeshare
8/09- CSR
11/11-CSR
11/13-CSR( & AK?)
Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie58 View Post
Princess Meridia - since no one had answered our ?, I looked up split stay threads, and it seems that tickets are either on your old card, and the new one is your room key, or you can ask at the new resort if they can add them so you only have one card. Most importantly, it was clarified that your tickets are good for fourteen days no matter where you go as I thought- I had heard conflicting answers and began to second guess myself, and was starting to panic that we couldn't move to AKL Very happy we can finalize our plans. HTH!

cassie58
11/08-ASMo & Timeshare
8/09- CSR
11/11-CSR
11/13-CSR( & AK?)
We just did a split stay in June. We were at AKL for 8 days then moved over to POR for 3 days. When we checked into POR they were able to transfer the remaining tickets that were on our AKL KTTW card to our new POR KTTW card no problem. We are boing the same thing in may.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
cassie58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonsDisneyMom View Post
We just did a split stay in June. We were at AKL for 8 days then moved over to POR for 3 days. When we checked into POR they were able to transfer the remaining tickets that were on our AKL KTTW card to our new POR KTTW card no problem. We are boing the same thing in may.
Thanks for the info! I see you are in Philly - we are just over the bridge in South Jersey.

cassie58
11/08-CSR
8/09-CSR
11/111-CSR
11/13-CSR( & AKL ?)
Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
rosiebean
Mouseketeer

Did a split stay renting points from a DVC member and reserving a few nights at Poly via DW's website. I had no issues at all, and IIRC, our tickets were able to be moved to our second room card after we moved resorts.
rosiebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie58 View Post

Thanks for the info! I see you are in Philly - we are just over the bridge in South Jersey.

cassie58
11/08-CSR
8/09-CSR
11/111-CSR
11/13-CSR( & AKL ?)
Hi there! Yep we are right outside the city. About 5-10 mins from the airport! You are going to love AKL!! It's our favorite resort! Heading back there in May for 8 days! We just decided to add a few more days onto our trip and trying to figure out where to stay. Thinking BWV or OKW! Decisions decisions! Lol. Do you fly out of Philly? Waiting to see what southwest has to offer for airfare. But as of right now I think we are flying Spirit out of AC b/c it's the cheapest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: