Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #16
stampingoddess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
(Actually, I don't understand the point of gender-specific races. Heck, there are scores of women-only races out there - but AFAIK, none for men only.*)
I think that the point of women's specific races is 100% marketing. Many women are looking for races that are geared towards them-make them feel special, etc. Obvisously there is a market for these types of races as there are more and more of them each year. In addition to the Disney Princess, there is the Nike Women's, the Run Like a Diva series, and the Women's Half Marathon series (can't remember that sponsor).

As for a men's only race, I am left wondering if there is a market for this type of race as I would suspect that if the market existed then the races would be developed. No actual knowlege but maybe the guys just don't care if the race is designed with men in mind.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #17
thotfulspot
least it's in a good cause
I can't remember the last time I was quite this excited about hitting my refresh key!!
I've always respected a man who can make a good widget!

I saw a few men at this Princess Half, most in terrific costumes. There was one frog running beside a Princess Tiana, and a (girl) Jasmine was running with two (boy) Aladdins -- fantastic! I also saw a couple of dudes rocking the tutu/tiara combination. I saw exactly one guy running in normal running clothes, and he looked more embarrassed than the guys in the fairy wings.
thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
MikeofRose&Mike
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhockey04 View Post
And unlike you, I had no one to pace, so I went out as my own princess, got lots of positive feedback and seems like everyone I saw loved the costume and that's why I would do it again, but everyone has their own choice. I'm not encouraging dressing up, just claiming what I saw, and glad to see you had fun and someone to run with, I might try to get someone to run with next year if I run, which is leaning toward I will now.
Dan,
Sorry, did not mean to imply there was something wrong with running in costume. I just didn't. I may next year if we can come up with a theme. According to Fairy Godmother I should be Dromedary (from Aladin) since I am there to carry the water.

There was one guy near me for part of the race wearing a belly dancer top from morocco. I also saw the a couple of frogs.

Looking forward to Princess 2012.

Mike

MikeofRose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
verticalchaos
DIS Veteran

My running partner from the January Half ran it - and he wasn't in costume and wasn't embarrassed about it. He had a blast!
verticalchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
Stitchnut
DIS Veteran

I ran this year for the first time and was surprised by how many men were running. It's for women! I don't have a problem with husbands, etc who are running to support their wives. I saw men dressed as princesses and Minnie Mouse and they were not flattering. If men want to run, that's fine but wear a prince outfit or something. We women would rather see that than some of the things we saw. Was a good laugh though
Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #21
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchnut View Post
I ran this year for the first time and was surprised by how many men were running. It's for women! I don't have a problem with husbands, etc who are running to support their wives. I saw men dressed as princesses and Minnie Mouse and they were not flattering. If men want to run, that's fine but wear a prince outfit or something. We women would rather see that than some of the things we saw. Was a good laugh though
Sorry you felt that why, but nearly everyone I saw and talked to loved it and thought it was great that guys dress up for the race. I had lots of people come up and say how great it was. But again, everyone has their own opinion and I will dress up again when I run it again.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #22
Stitchnut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry you felt that why, but nearly everyone I saw and talked to loved it and thought it was great that guys dress up for the race. I had lots of people come up and say how great it was. But again, everyone has their own opinion and I will dress up again when I run it again.
It wasn't all men, just the one's that were hairy and wearing women's costumes. It was funny, just odd! I saw Mr. Incredible, Woody, and the Frog prince which was cute. I'm just saying if men want to dress up they should wear something more prince like.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
Mama_Dis
MemoryMaker

Quote:
I find it amusing as I've seen several pictures of costumes on the women that "weren't flattering" either but as long as they are having fun and feeling good about themselves, I couldn't care less. Same goes for the men in my book.

Then again, my favorite comedian is a transvestite and my favorite movie is The Birdcage. Maybe I've just got a thing for men in women's clothing

Danhockey, I expect you to be there next year, in costume (you know, because what I expect counts). I enjoyed following along this year as you planned the whole thing out all by yourself. It was actually your picture of your costume that convinced my DH that he really could run in it with me and no one would think he was weird- just one of the crowd
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #24
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

I ran as Princess Peach and plan to either do Cinderella or Alice next time. It is called the princess half marathon, so I do run in the theme, though I am rather not hairy and I prefer to keep my legs shaved, helps them sweat and just a preference, I'm the one that hates body hair on people. I get what your saying, but it is the princess race.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #25
Saylan
Frosty Princess

I totally supported the men I saw in costume. My DBF has talked about running but said he'd never do the Princess cause he doesn't want to wear a dress/tutu. I wish I could convince him to run even without a costume, so for those who already do, I think that's great!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #26
K80K
DIS Veteran

My boyfriend ran with me this year. We saw several men out there running on their own and no one seemed to mind it.
~*Katie*~Half Fanatic #156
Up Next! ~ 9/29 Tower of Terror 10 Miler ~ 10/13 Baltimore Half ~
~*Race Results*~*Race Schedule*~
<3 Disney Fairytale Wedding <3 10/2012 <3
Cruises ~ Disney Dream 2/2011&11/2011 ~ Disney Fantasy 11/2012 ~
K80K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #27
nancycg56
DIS Veteran

My daughter and her boyfriend ran it ~ neither in costume and neither were embarrassed about it ~ my daughter came in 12 minutes before her boyfriend and she was thrilled (they run lots of races together and he always beats her time).

They both had a great time and are planning on running it again next year!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #28
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

It seemed to me that no one cared as long as you were there to have fun and not win the race. I just have to save up some money to do this one after dumping a lot into the Goofy Challenge. I will let you know, but will do my best being there again. I had a blast doing it and being dressed in costume as a princess. They know men can register, men can run, men can't win awards and most men running do it for fun or the medal. I did it cause I wanted to have fun, be able to wear a costume and I am doing all the weekends at Disney this year, so this was on the list to do. But I am glad I wore the costume and had a blast doing so and thanks to those that liked it.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I can't remember what race it is, maybe Nike Women's, that discourages male runners by having the medals given out by half-naked firefighters. I always thought that was pretty amusing.

My favorite, favorite race to run locally is the Women's Mini 10k (named because it used to be sponsored by a company that sold miniskirts) in Central Park. I don't know if there are any men who slip into the corrals, but I didn't see any last year.

What I liked about it was that I felt completely empowered running with thousands of other women, and the men were cheering us on from the sidelines. For one day, it was the women who were the fastest, and there was a spirit of comraderie that doesn't exist in other races.

So, I don't care if there are men pacing women on the race, but I think those women are missing out on a good and unique experience.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Did some checking, because the guy who crossed the line first is actually pretty close (geographically speaking) to me - the name sounded familiar, and I have raced against him before. I see him at the start, and again before the turnaround.

Anyway, his 5k times are usually about 16:30 to 17 minutes, his 10k times are about 34 minutes, and he ran the full Goofy in January in a combined time of 4:11:12 (1:18 for the half, and 2:52 for the full). It also was not a PR for him - he has times in the low 1:13 range.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: