Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #106
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

I am SOOOOOOOO sorry for no updates in so long!! I don't want to give excuses. I'm just sorry. Hope you are all still reading!

Usually I write up my whole TR first before starting to post it. This time, I obviously did not.

HUGE update next!!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #107
Jennifer48

Thursday February 24th

This post is going to be photo heavy and text minimal because we really didn’t do anything for the 8 hrs we waited for the shuttle to launch.

We knew we wanted to get up near Canaveral early because we had no idea what to expect for crowd levels. So we got up at 9am and headed out by 9:45am. We wanted to head to Titusville, FL and see where we could park for the day.

A few tolls to go through, we ended up in Titusville around 10:30am, not bad. Only about an hour drive. There were lots of people already there and most of the spots were already taken on the bay side of Rt 1 so we turned around and headed back down the other side of the road as that side was empty and parking was available. We ended up parking in a retirement home parking lot that was charging $10 to pay PLUS we got use of the bathroom facilities! Elias is the owner and he was so nice! The lots across the street right on the water were $20 so we figured we had a good spot!

Now its 10:30am and the shuttle isn’t scheduled to launch until 4:50pm which means 7 hrs to wait until launch time, if it goes off. There are small windows that the launch is able to take place in with weather and the rotation of the Earth and the trajectory to the International Space Station. We had our hopes up!

Our vantage point

The tall buildings on the right is Vehicle Assembly Building. The other thin buildings to its left are the launch pads. We weren’t sure which one was where it was going to launch but either way, we could see both.

Zoomed out photo. Main road and the cars/RVs on the water. The white tent you seen on the left was selling food. Someone had the right idea!

We brought lunch so we were all set for food and thankfully, had bathroom facilities. Now it was just sit and wait and continue looking at Twitter to make sure the launch wasn’t scrubbed!

Tyler literally spent about 5.5 hrs of that time playing his DS. One, I don’t know how the battery lasted that long and two, he was laying on the ground a majority of the time!

Closer shot of the Vehicle Assembly Building

Shot to our right, down the road. This family here showed up with a tent, card table, outdoor games, this wasn’t there first launch!

View to our left, up the road

We befriended a nice older couple who retired to FL from Cleveland, OH. Its always nice to meet people during things like this.

Tyler & Stanley!

Told you, he was keeping in the shade of the “neighbor’s” tent!

Coast guard helo in the air

Once the afternoon rolled around, more and more people started showing up. Even the center islands were starting to fill up. Check out this guy who brought a ladder!

Tyler also passed time by collecting some kind of nuts. Whatever, it was keeping him busy LOL

To our left, see the crowd gathering

There were 2 things we were worried about. One, a giant semi truck rolling down the road while the shuttle was launching and two, people starting to get in our way in the center island.

One started

Its now 4:45 and we hear screaming and booing from down the road to our right. We look down at the stop light and there is a semi truck there! The light was red so he couldn’t just go but then he had to come towards us!

Light turned green, truck rolled past. Crisis averted!!
A Road Trip Engagement
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #108
Jennifer48

Reading my Twitter account, NASA tweeted that there was a delay. The Range Safety Office report that it was a “no-go.” Teams were working the issue & will soon conduct their poll. Oh no! The window is now closing in. Its 4:50p and the shuttle is to launch any minute!

Some woman nearby had the space feed on her phone so we could here the transmissions. She yells out that the countdown has started, its going to happen!!

We figured that we were 12.25 miles away but it was a great view. Would we hear the roar of the engines? Feel the rumble of the Earth?

I greatly apologize for the blurriness of these photos. Our camera SUCKS! *See Kristine? This is why I have to borrow your old one *

Here we go!!!

Almost out of view

A Road Trip Engagement
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #109
Jennifer48

The smoke

Yes I had a slight sunburn from being out there for 7 hrs

Aaaaand the mass exodus

Yeah we aren’t going anywhere for a while.

So we sat in the car for about 2.5 hrs since traffic was literally not moving.

Our view

Slowly starting moving so after we called all our family, we headed back on the road.

It took us 4 hrs to get home. That's not including the 2.5 hrs we sat in the car before leaving. Seriously. I think we barely went over 20 mph all the way until we hit I4. So crazy but SO WORTH IT!

The most amazing thing I have ever seen. Evah.
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #110
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Wow - what a neat experience! I can't believe that trail of smoke! It does not look like fun trying to get out of there, though!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #111
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

You are one dedicated woman. There is no way I could have been patient enough to sit there and watch that.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #112
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Wow, that is really cool you got to see the shuttle launch!! Look at all the people there too!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 05-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #113
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

First off--glad you're back. I missed ya!

Secondly--WOW! That had to have been an amazing experience! I got chills from seeing the photos, so I can only imagine what it would have been like seeing it in person. I'm so glad that y'all were able to see it! Total awesomeness!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #114
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Wow I absolutely applaud your patience!!! That looks like it must have been an amazing experience!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #115
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
Wow - what a neat experience! I can't believe that trail of smoke! It does not look like fun trying to get out of there, though!
The only downside, the traffic! If you can get out before the shuttle is out of sight, it wouldn't be so bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
You are one dedicated woman. There is no way I could have been patient enough to sit there and watch that.
It was possibly, a once in a lifetime thing to see so patience was worth it! One thing finally off my bucket list. Do you see how much my camera stinks tho? Thats why we need a new one soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Wow, that is really cool you got to see the shuttle launch!! Look at all the people there too!
Awesome experience! Wait, did I miss your TR?! D'oh! I'll go check in

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
First off--glad you're back. I missed ya!

Secondly--WOW! That had to have been an amazing experience! I got chills from seeing the photos, so I can only imagine what it would have been like seeing it in person. I'm so glad that y'all were able to see it! Total awesomeness!
Thanks Missy! It was definitely amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Wow I absolutely applaud your patience!!! That looks like it must have been an amazing experience!
Thanks! It was!
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #116
Jennifer48

Friday February 25th

Today we decided to take it slow and see where the wind blows. We knew we wanted to hit DTD before lunch and possible DISmeet with RachelNinja.

We got to DTD around 10am and of course hit the WoD store first.

World of Disney Loot

For my car:

We have the Mickey placemats but didn't have any Minnie...We purchase a magnet each time with the year on it...The Disney peeps are for DH's car...I started collecting some of the Kooky pens.

Basin & Tren-D were next and then a stop into the Pin Station

I like to get a pin with the year and then any new/special pins that remind us of the trip, hence the Captain EO pin.

I Mary Poppins so this was so mine!

Annual Passholders Pinset

Wine stoppers were purchased in that kitchen store (the name escapes me)

Lunchtime! Our favorite stop, Earl of Sandwich!

I tried the American (it was ok)

Tyler got the caesar salad ( )

DH got the Hawaiian (always)

After we devoured our lunch, we hit Art of Disney, Once Upon a Toy, Goofy's Candy Company & the Lego Store.

Tyler & the Tweedles

Tyler, Stanley & the brooms

Dan caught me texting RachelNinja for our DISmeet

Sadly, they were going to be at DTD later in the day and we were just about finished our shopping excursion.

I would like to know if anyone has ever purchased or seen someone purchase this?!

Tyler & Stanley enjoyed the funhouse mirror

I can only go in Goofy's with a full stomach or else it could get ugly with what I'd buy

Tyler, Stanley & Lego Woody

We headed back to POR once we were through to drop off our goodies.

Where were we heading to next???
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #117
Jennifer48

MAGIC KINGDOM!!

Since we did Hall of Presidents on President's Day, I wanted to try to find one/both of those pins. There weren't any at the Pin Station so I figured MK would have one.

I hope to get a picture of Tyler with Roy & Minnie every time we go

First stop

Walked through the left side of Main Street stores and...no pins.

Left to Adventureland

Cut through to Liberty Square

Checked & asked at the stores surrounding the Hall of Presidents, no pins. Seriously? They have a pin for EVERYTHING but not the Hall of Presidents or President's Day.

The park was starting to get packed and we were grumpy. Where do we go when we feel like that...

through the Hub

into

and onto the PeopleMover!

Flowers in Tomorrowland

We hit the Carousel of Progress next and when we got out, Stitch was having his dance party

Walking back towards Fantasyland. So sad to see the construction but it should be for the greater good with the looks of the expansion!

Should we do Winnie the Pooh?

Nope, not with a wait time of 50 minutes!

So excited to see Maurice's (from Beauty and the Beast) cart!

Newly renamed Storybook Treats

I don't know why but this family made me chuckle. Doesn't it look like they just hitchhiked here?!

A Road Trip Engagement
Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #118
meeko_33785
Surrounded by characters

Hey, I just found your report and read through the whole thing. I'm really enjoying it so far.

We stayed in Parterre Place when we were at Riverside in December. I think it might just be my favorite mansion. It has such a beautiful look and it was a really short walk to the food court and bus stop.

I don't think I've ever noticed the signs that say "When in Florida Visit EPCOT" at Chester and Hester's. I know a lot of people don't like Dinoland, but I love all those details in it.

We recently took our last ride on Snow White's Scary Adventures too. Of course, part of me doesn't want to believe it after we had three "last trips" to Toontown before it closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Tyler didn’t quite get ‘Singing in the Rain’ kids theses days, not educated on the classics

Well, I hope you've showed it to him since you all have been back. It's one of my favorite movies.

I've never seen the line at Living With the Land get that long before!

How cool is that to see Bill Nye the Science Guy live at EPCOT. I didn't know he ever did that.

Love those Mary Poppins pins that you got at Downtown Disney. I've never seen them before. I might just have to keep an eye out for them next time I'm there.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #119
Jennifer48

I thought this shirt was cute. Get it? Mickey Mouse?!

Sir Mickey himself

Castle Couture..can you see the pattern here? I went into EVERY shop I could looking for pins.

We were getting hungry and Tyler still hadn't had a "Disney hamburger" which he states as the best hamburger he's ever had so we decided to eat at Peco's Bills.

The boys had burgers & I decided on the taco salad

Newly renamed Tortuga Tavern (which I have never seen open )

Isn't she lovely?

Told you it was packed!

I think it had to do with the Princess 1/2 Marathon that was that weekend. People were starting to arrive at WDW for that and apparently all came to the MK!

Vinylmation shots for you fans

So long Magic Kingdom! We miss you already!

Headed back to POR where I picked up

and

Oh and to all you people that say the same merchandise is in every shop...well you are wrong. While searching for my pins I was also searching for this Mary Poppins mug and only found it at Fulton's shop at POR. So if you want to buy something, don't say "I'll pick it up later" because you won't be able to find it!
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #120
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko_33785 View Post
Hey, I just found your report and read through the whole thing. I'm really enjoying it so far.

We stayed in Parterre Place when we were at Riverside in December. I think it might just be my favorite mansion. It has such a beautiful look and it was a really short walk to the food court and bus stop.

I don't think I've ever noticed the signs that say "When in Florida Visit EPCOT" at Chester and Hester's. I know a lot of people don't like Dinoland, but I love all those details in it.

We recently took our last ride on Snow White's Scary Adventures too. Of course, part of me doesn't want to believe it after we had three "last trips" to Toontown before it closed.

Well, I hope you've showed it to him since you all have been back. It's one of my favorite movies.

I've never seen the line at Living With the Land get that long before!

How cool is that to see Bill Nye the Science Guy live at EPCOT. I didn't know he ever did that.

Love those Mary Poppins pins that you got at Downtown Disney. I've never seen them before. I might just have to keep an eye out for them next time I'm there.
Hi Meeko! Thanks for stopping by!

To be honest, I never really appreciated Dinoland until I read the back story on it. It just never made sense to me. Now that I know, I love looking for the details!

I haven't shown Tyler Singing in the Rain yet. This weekend might be good for it since it hasn't stopped raining up here in MA since last weekend!
A Road Trip Engagement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: