Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #31
Spartangirl
DIS Veteran

Hey Jen! I'm in for this report! Great start!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #32
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly815 View Post
Yippee! You made it! I am impressed that you were able to stay away for several hours after the sight of a nice comfy bed - I don't know that I would have been able to do the same!

POR looks beautiful! I have always wanted to check it out. (Though, I want to check all the resorts out at some point! )
I think we were on our 3-4-5th wind
I didn't realize how beautiful the POR grounds were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixski51 View Post
Love the reference to STL!! You are such a good friend!!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMira View Post
Another Phineas & Ferb fan. I love it!

We road trip to DL from AZ, which is about 5.5 hrs...so your trips seems crazy long. But sometimes the draw of Disney is just too strong - totally get that.

Can't wait to read more about your trip.
Thanks for reading! Your 5.5 hrs is a nice day trip compared to ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaf516 View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to read more.

We're driving from NJ the first time since I was a kid. I'm afraid...
Thanks for reading!
Depending on where in NJ you are, you might luck out and miss most of the tolls! I think there are 2 on the NJ Turnpike alone Do you plan on driving straight through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
As gross as South of the Border is (never been, but I've seen pics and read stories), I do enjoy seeing the signs! It gives us something to look forward to as you saw in the last TR when we drove down. Plus, it's kind of like a big landmark to reach so that you know you're getting closer to WDW!!!

HAHA, I had to laugh at the Daytona 500 thing because of the guy on my train!!! DAYTONA!!! YEAH!!!

Oh wow, that one pic from the lobby looking at the marina really makes it look like you're in the middle of like ... not Orlando!!! I LOVE IT! Oh man, I may want to stay at POR in the future! Wait, is this the creepy resort with the faces hanging from the ceiling in the food court?
I agree about SotB. It looks too creepy to me to stop but the billboards are fun to read on the way down. On the way home though, means that you are that much farther away from WDW!

HAHAHA ur too funny about the creepy faces. Thats at POFQ. I have pictures of those later so I'll be sure to warn you before I post them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartangirl View Post
Hey Jen! I'm in for this report! Great start!
Yay! Thanks for making it Lynne! Did you enjoy your cruise?
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #33
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Love the pictures from POR. It really is a pretty resort to stay at. I loved it the time we stayed there.

I have to admit, I've always been a sleeper in the car. I don't know why, but I'm the one sleeping, while my mom and dad used to drive. So, I'd be just like Tyler, raring and ready to go when we arrive.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #34
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Love the pictures from POR. It really is a pretty resort to stay at. I loved it the time we stayed there.

I have to admit, I've always been a sleeper in the car. I don't know why, but I'm the one sleeping, while my mom and dad used to drive. So, I'd be just like Tyler, raring and ready to go when we arrive.
Thanks for reading! I don't know why but my expectations weren't that high for POR and I will say I was greatly surprise at the grounds.

I can sleep in the car but I felt like I shouldn't just because Dan was driving. I was trying to keep him company and awake.
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #35
Jennifer48

Sunday February 20, 2011

Our plan for today was to head to the Animal Kingdom. I figured if we didn’t want to get up early to make rope drop, this would be the park to do it.

Our alarm went off at 7:30am and Dan kept hitting snooze. At one point, he just shut it off and we kept sleeping. Eventually we got up, around 9am, and we were at AK by 10am.

We decided to walk to the entrance because we weren’t that far from it. Also because we had been in the car for 24 hrs we figured the walk could do us some good!

As we were walking, I noticed that the trams now have doors on them. I didn’t read that on the DIS prior to leaving so I took a picture

They don’t open ‘automagically’ but they are pretty easy to get in and out of.

Our first priority was to head to the safari to get FP so I power walked up as Dan and Tyler moseyed behind.

When I got to the FP distribution machines, the line was huge! I thought to myself, this can’t be right, so I stepped out of line and walked closer. Turns out, everyone was waiting at the FIRST machine and no one was walking to the back so I decided to do just that! A few people saw what I was doing and followed suit. Newbies.

The stand-by line was already 60 minutes at that point. I didn’t really set a touring plan today. I like to wander around AK and take in all the animals. Plus, our FP return time wasn’t until 12:03-1:03.

We didn’t eat breakfast before we left POR so we figured a pretzel was in order. Great breakfast I know but those are our favorite food on property. The kiosk right outside the safari was out of pretzels so we decided to explore and keep our eyes peeled.

Stanley wanted to climb a tree so we quickly took a picture and got him down before he decided to go too high!

We headed towards the train station to head over to Conservation Station and the line was ginormous! So, we backtracked and headed towards the Pangani Forest Trail and check out the animals.

Tyler was enthralled by the bull frog skeleton

I decided to take some shots and made sure I looked around at all the details

Inside the building where the naked mole rats are

Tyler listened to the call of the African Dove and other animals

Through that building was the bird conservatory. People were freaking out about the birds flying close by and I got nipped in the face by a wing!

Through the bird house into the Hippo land. People were crowded in front of the glass. Tyler snuck through breaks in the crowd to get closer, good thing he’s so small! Dan and I stood back and I lifted the camera up over everyones head and got a great shot of the hippo coming up for air!

One of my favorite places is the meerkat section. My dad loves watching Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet so whenever I see one, it makes me smile and think of my dad.

There were many people close up to the glass in the gorilla house but in the back, there is a handicap overlook. There was no one in a wheelchair or ECV so we headed up there to look over the crowd. As soon as we got there, the male gorilla got up to check everyone out!

The CM told us that he was making sure none of us were a threat. He just looked nosy to me!

The female was to the left of the male and apparently no one cared for her as there was no crowd forming.

Outside, there weren’t many other gorillas in view. I was hoping to catch the baby but no such luck.

Out of the trail, I showed Tyler the little semi-unknown nook to take a great shot of the Tree of Life. Stanley wanted to check it out.

Our stomachs just about demanded food at this point so we hit up the kiosk that also sells the jalapeno pretzels and we took a break. Its over next to the entrance to Its Tough to be a Bug so we people watched and dodged the ducks.

Stanley and his first WDW pretzel

Tyler is a slow eater so while he was finishing up, Dan ran to Dinosaur to grab FPs for him and Tyler for later. I’m not a Dinosaur fan. I always leave that ride with a headache so I decided to pass this time.

Look at all the people!

Do you ever wonder how many photos of yourself are in other peoples?
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #36
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

I can't see the pic of the trams with the doors, but I did see that too! I pointed it out to Howard when we were walking from our car to the Ticket and Transportation Center at MK. We were so close that we didn't need the tram. I would've liked to ride it though because we didn't do the tram last year either!!! I always feel it's part of the experience, so I feel as if something was missing!

I love love love how people just get in line and wait for one FP machine. They tend to do that at Soarin'!

I like how you posted a pic of each animal along with a story about what was happening at the time or a personal memory!

And yes, I do wonder about the photo thing! I wonder if they got me making a weird face or something. Then that person will post it on Facebook and make a comment about it! Haha.

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 03-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #37
Jennifer48

Quote:
I can't see the pic of the trams with the doors, but I did see that too! I pointed it out to Howard when we were walking from our car to the Ticket and Transportation Center at MK. We were so close that we didn't need the tram. I would've liked to ride it though because we didn't do the tram last year either!!! I always feel it's part of the experience, so I feel as if something was missing!

You didn't take the tram in any of the parks?

Quote:
I love love love how people just get in line and wait for one FP machine. They tend to do that at Soarin'!
They did it there too! I got nasty looks from people there.

Quote:
I like how you posted a pic of each animal along with a story about what was happening at the time or a personal memory!
Thanks, I try! I know I'm not the best TR writer but I do hope to keep the readers I have!

Quote:
And yes, I do wonder about the photo thing! I wonder if they got me making a weird face or something. Then that person will post it on Facebook and make a comment about it! Haha.
I know!
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #38
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Love the pictures.

I always walk from the Animal Kingdom parking lot to the entrance. It's so much faster than taking the tram, and I could understand you guys wanting to stretch your legs out.

I am so with you about the pictures. How many photos am I REALLY in?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #39
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I always find me looking for myself in people's pictures from Disney, especially the crowd shots! I also tend to search a bit too much in the ones from when I wasn't even in Disney! (Hmm...maybe I forgot I was in Disney that day? Gotta check if I was in DHS...)

That bird conservatory sounds like the birds were a teensy bit close for comfort...I mean, I suppose that's the point, but I'd still get slightly freaked out!

Glad you were able to enjoy one of your favorite WDW snacks! Looks like Flat Stanley enjoyed it as well! I have got to try one of those pretzels someday - the only Disney one's I've had are the normal kind. How boring, right? Gotta get my act together, this is Disney!!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #40
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

WOW, look at that gorilla!! How cool! I love the Animal Kingdom. The trails are a lot of fun.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #41
Kimberly815
DIS Veteran
you can call us Mr. and Mrs. ChuckleDoodle!

Hmm. I wonder why they added the doors to the trams? I bet too many people were jumping on when the tram started moving! I wonder if it is more difficult to get a stroller on now?

Nice animal pics! You got a LOT of great shots!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #42
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

OK...LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics you got of PO!!! You did a great job Gorgeous light in some of them. And the pic of Tyler and Flat Stanley is really cute!!!

There are naked mole rats in AK? Seriously never go slowly in that park. Really should

Yes, I have often wondered about the pics that I'm in. I was especially excited when I found a pic of Stacy and I in someone else's TR
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #43
Jennifer48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Love the pictures.

I always walk from the Animal Kingdom parking lot to the entrance. It's so much faster than taking the tram, and I could understand you guys wanting to stretch your legs out.

I am so with you about the pictures. How many photos am I REALLY in?
You're right, it does always seem easier to walk to the AK entrance than the tram. We beat it this time with time to spare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I always find me looking for myself in people's pictures from Disney, especially the crowd shots! I also tend to search a bit too much in the ones from when I wasn't even in Disney! (Hmm...maybe I forgot I was in Disney that day? Gotta check if I was in DHS...)

That bird conservatory sounds like the birds were a teensy bit close for comfort...I mean, I suppose that's the point, but I'd still get slightly freaked out!

Glad you were able to enjoy one of your favorite WDW snacks! Looks like Flat Stanley enjoyed it as well! I have got to try one of those pretzels someday - the only Disney one's I've had are the normal kind. How boring, right? Gotta get my act together, this is Disney!!
HAHA I always look at people in every TR I read even knowing I'm not in them I think I'm going to find someone I know! I do that when I watch baseball games on TV too..always scanning the crowd, I'm weird.

The birds weren't too bad, just that one that almost took my eye out

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
WOW, look at that gorilla!! How cool! I love the Animal Kingdom. The trails are a lot of fun.
Its the best park to stroll in, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly815 View Post
Hmm. I wonder why they added the doors to the trams? I bet too many people were jumping on when the tram started moving! I wonder if it is more difficult to get a stroller on now?

Nice animal pics! You got a LOT of great shots!
Well we were there in September and the doors weren't on the trams then. I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't know about them!

I didn't see people struggle with a stroller, just that you have to hold the door open so if you are there solo with a baby & stroller, it could get difficult. We helped a young woman who could walk but was using a wheelchair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
OK...LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics you got of PO!!! You did a great job Gorgeous light in some of them. And the pic of Tyler and Flat Stanley is really cute!!!

There are naked mole rats in AK? Seriously never go slowly in that park. Really should

Yes, I have often wondered about the pics that I'm in. I was especially excited when I found a pic of Stacy and I in someone else's TR
Thanks! and those were taken with a cheap camera, imagine what I could do with yours!

Yup naked mole rats and they are not as cute as they are on KimPossible!
A Road Trip Engagement
Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #44
Jennifer48

After our delicious pretzel brunch, our FastPasses were up for the safari. We pretty much walked right on waiting only about 2 trucks before getting on our own.

While heading into crocodile country, we saw people on the Wild Africa Trek tour. Doesn’t that look cool?! Dan and I saw it and we immediately looked at each other and though, ‘yup, we’re gonna do that.’

Stanley was so nervous around the crocs! Tyler kept him safe

Into the “best view” of the savannah, there were a few giraffes out eating

For some reason, Tyler thought the wildebeests were “cool.” I personally think they are one of the ugliest animals I’ve ever seen!

The elephants were out in full force!

Even the babies!!

I tried to take a quick shot of the new overlook they built for the Wild Africa Trek. Apparently this is where you eat lunch. Sweet view huh?

White rhino

Cheetahs!

A Road Trip Engagement
Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #45
Jennifer48

We had some time to kill before the next Festival of the Lion King show so we roamed around the stores.

Princess Ada

Light fixture

Heading towards Camp Minnie Mickey, I was glad to see they finally trimmed back the branches to see the waterfall again. Last time when we were there in September, you couldn’t see any of the rocks.

We haven’t seen FotLK in a few years and were excited to show Tyler

He greatly enjoyed it! He loved the Tumble Monkeys, thats my favorite part too!

The boys

5 Minute wait time posted for Its Tough to Be A Bug so we headed there next.

View up the Tree of Life

There seemed to have been more “fog” when the spiders came out so they were difficult to see but you still had lots of kids screaming and crying. I felt bad for them, that can be a creepy show.

Dan and Tyler went to redeem their FP for Dinosaur and I roamed around Dinoland attempting to take pictures of things I don’t have or shots you don’t see very often. I hope you enjoy them!

How funny are these signs?!

Other side of them

In case anyone cares for Vinylmations (Rachel you can show this to Weird! )

Goofy and Pluto signing autographs

I never noticed the basketball hoop before! Then again, I’ve never eaten at Restaurantosaurus so I could have easily missed it

Have you read the backstory to Dinoland? Once you have, this section of the park makes total sense afterwards. Pretty hilarious stuff.

Have you ever noticed the parking lines on the ground?

The boys came out of Dinosaur unscathed so we decided since it was close to 3, we were going to try to catch Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade...pics up next!
A Road Trip Engagement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: